Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Slain In The Spirit???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slain In The Spirit???  (Read 3968 times)
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2004, 11:09:04 AM »

I could use some help & thoughts on this. Im not sure if I believe this. Ive seen ppl at different churches go down in the "spirit" and Ive heard it is a gift by the Lord. Then I have heard pastor say it isnt of the Lord & isnt biblical. I guess Im still a babe in Christ. By far not as knowledgable in the word of God as SO many of you are here, but Praise God I am trying, heheh. But I would like some insight on this. Is it ir isn't it of God?
I heard this pastor say the only time we heard slain in the spirit was from when those ppl stole $$$ from the church and kept it for themselves & then lied & God slained them?Huh
Thanks All for the Help (Sorry to come off so ignorant here)

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 11:59:55 PM »

Every time someone falls backward in the bible it is because they are under Gods judgment.
Slain in the spirit is a more accurate term than most realize.

Genesis 49:16 Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.
Genesis 49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

One of the most powerful instances of falling backward is in the New Testament:

John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
John 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

I would stay away from those that practice this.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
NateyCakes

Radical for Christ!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 06:30:38 PM »

So then it isnt a "good" thing as some people think it is right? I mean it isnt like they are so happy "drunk" in the spirit that they pass out? Is that correct? Thank you for the scriptures too!

~*Rejoice for the Lord is GOOD!!*~
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 06:55:35 PM »

In my opinion a lot of people fake it just to go along with the ride.
When I was younger there was a musical group known as "The Beatles."
The story has it their publicist paid girls to scream and faint, soon others joined in.
Supposedly Elvis did the same thing, as have others.
That starts the ball rolling and soon the whole place is screaming and fainting.
My feeling is that a lot of this ‘slaying in the spirit’ is a similar idea, a type of mass hysteria.
There is another possibility too, that it is Satanic in nature.
One thing I am very certain of it is never a good thing in the bible.
It is always bad.

Acts 5:1  But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Acts 5:2  And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
Acts 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Acts 5:4  Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
Acts 5:5  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
Acts 5:6  And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
Acts 5:7  And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
Acts 5:8  And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
Acts 5:9  Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
Acts 5:10  Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

Today there seams to be no end to the number of churches that want to have some kind of a show. A sign or miracle to put their faith in. That is one of the signs we are in the end times.

Matthew 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Learning_disciple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:29:39 AM »

"In my opinion a lot of people fake it just to go along with the ride."

I can testify to that.
  Back many years ago when I was in a pentecostal Church where our pastor, "brother Joe", as he was called, would have healing services at the Church every Sunday night where people would come forward for him to lay hands on you to be re-filled? with the Holy Spirit. most every one who went up and got touched fell backward as if knocked back by an unseen force, but when I went up to get what ever every one else was getting, nothing happened. Bro Joe would keep laying his hand on me waiting for me to fall back as all the rest did and as I could see that he was getting annoyed with me I decided I had better fall back before he slugged me. Wink
  I did feel guilty and ashamed after that, and have since repented of my sin. I no longer go to that Church and am not sure what good Ole "brother Joe" is doing now, but last I heard
he was caught in a scandal involving the female youth director.

God
bless

"Your not as bad as you think you are. Your a lot worse. Cheer up, God's grace is greater then you think it is" ~ Steve Brown
The Crusader
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 04:03:37 AM »

"In my opinion a lot of people fake it just to go along with the ride."

I can testify to that.
  Back many years ago when I was in a pentecostal Church where our pastor, "brother Joe", as he was called, would have healing services at the Church every Sunday night where people would come forward for him to lay hands on you to be re-filled? with the Holy Spirit. most every one who went up and got touched fell backward as if knocked back by an unseen force, but when I went up to get what ever every one else was getting, nothing happened. Bro Joe would keep laying his hand on me waiting for me to fall back as all the rest did and as I could see that he was getting annoyed with me I decided I had better fall back before he slugged me. Wink
  I did feel guilty and ashamed after that, and have since repented of my sin. I no longer go to that Church and am not sure what good Ole "brother Joe" is doing now, but last I heard
he was caught in a scandal involving the female youth director.

God
bless

Thanks
The Crusader
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 04:04:42 AM »

Every time someone falls backward in the bible it is because they are under Gods judgment.
Slain in the spirit is a more accurate term than most realize.

Genesis 49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

One of the most powerful instances of falling backward is in the New Testament:

John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
John 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

I would stay away from those that practice this.

I agree
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 02:26:25 PM »

Act 2:14  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all [ye] that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15  For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is [but] the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

So why do you suppose these were thought to be drunken?

These were not "fakes" on the day of Pentecost, and if any choose to fake God`s power, does that make His power any less real? I know it does not.

If slain is the improper terminology does that limit the power of the Holy Ghost?

Also watch you dont blaspheme (to vilify; specifically to speak impiously: defame, rail on, revile, speak evil of) the Holy Ghost  by calling evil something you dont understand, especially the things of the Spirit.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
joidevivre

Jesus says "come to me and I will give you rest"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 09:57:29 PM »

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  And don't judge by how the Holy Spirit deals with others.  Only stay with what is made real to you.  I'm sure that there are instances of where people fake "it"...or whatever...however, there was a group that I was leading once and we were all surrendering to the Holy Spirit and had trouble standing.  We all just sat on the ground, and I know that I felt a wonderful sense of my weakness and His strength.  I literally could not stand.  Call it what you want - it was an overpowering of His wonderful presence.  

The same thing happened in the early Temple when the glory of God filled the place and the priests could not stand.  

I know what they were feeling.  

Joidevivre in Christ
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 02:58:23 PM »

Act 2:14  But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all [ye] that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
Act 2:15  For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is [but] the third hour of the day.
Act 2:16  But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

These were not "fakes" on the day of Pentecost, and if any choose to fake God`s power, does that make His power any less real? I know it does not.

If slain is the improper terminology does that limit the power of the Holy Ghost?

Also watch you dont blaspheme (to vilify; specifically to speak impiously: defame, rail on, revile, speak evil of) the Holy Ghost  by calling evil something you dont understand, especially the things of the Spirit.
We are not talking about that instance of speaking in tongues, where they spoke in foreign languages.

Acts 2:11  Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

We are talking about this new phenomenon known as being slain in the spirit.
It is not the blessing of the Holy Spirit to fall back as it is done in the groups that practice this.
Because they were all speaking the praises of God clearly in languages that were not their own. They were not thought to be drunk because they were flopping on the ground.

Not all fake it.
Sometimes it is the work of Satan.
Not only is falling backward a sign someone is under Gods judgment, so is fire from heaven.
Think of Sodom and Gomorrah.
The disciples suggested to Jesus that He call down fire from heaven.

Luke 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

Jesus could not destroy them because then he never would have gone to the cross to pay for our sins. No one would become saved.

This is the scripture they were referring to.

2 Kings 1:9 Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down.
2 Kings 1:10 And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

When the crowd came to take Jesus in John 18, after he had prayed in Gethsemane, Jesus had every right to call down fire from heaven, just as Elijah did.
If He had done that He never would have gone to the cross. Instead He introduced the substitute for fire from heaven, falling backward.

Judas was right there in the middle, who was in Judas? SATAN.

John 13:27  And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
Luke 22:3  Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

A big light bulb went off in Satan’s head, he made the connection. Falling backward was a substitute for fire from heaven.
The bible prophecy is that in the end times Satan will call down fire from heaven.

Revelation 13:13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
Revelation 13:14  And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

However Satan is not able to call down literal fire from heaven.

1 Kings 18:24 And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
1 Kings 18:26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.
1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

So now he has a substitute to fulfill the prophecy and deceive those that dwell on earth. How can there be any surprise that Satan comes as an angel of light? Is there any surprise Satan has workers working for him.

2 Corinthians 11:13  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:14  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2 Corinthians 11:15  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Thessalonians 2:4  Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Thessalonians 2:9  Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
2 Thessalonians 2:10  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2 Thessalonians 2:11  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2 Thessalonians 2:12  That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

For some being slain in the spirit is faked, but for others there is no fake, it is the action of Satan.

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004, 04:43:45 PM »

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 01:20:49 AM »

Roll Eyes
I understand it quite well.
Too many people worship Satan and believe they are worshipping God. Their own hearts deceive them.

Jeremiah 17:9  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

So many people needing signs and wonders, losing track of the gospel. The emergence of the signs and wonders movement is evidence we are close to the end of time.

Matthew 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mark 13:22  For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

I have given you strong scriptural support to show that the slaying in the spirit phenomenon is not a blessing from God.
What can you give me from the scripture to show that this is a blessing from God?
God warns us about the signs and wonders movement. You would be wise to pay attention. Don’t worship a false God.

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 07:08:30 AM »

Too many people worship Satan and believe they are worshipping God. Their own hearts deceive them.

The scriptures you used agrees with that statement.

However the only scripture you used that even remotely has to do with the subject we are discussing is this one...

... and you believe they fell to the ground not because of the power of the "I am" they were confronted with, but rather because of satan?

A big light bulb went off in Satan’s head, he made the connection. Falling backward was a substitute for fire from heaven.

Hello?  where did you get that from?

I have given you strong scriptural support to show that the slaying in the spirit phenomenon is not a blessing from God.

Strong scriptural support? where? we both know that expression is used in the NT scriptures, yea or nay

God warns us about the signs and wonders movement. You would be wise to pay attention.

There are obviously many phonies who are trying to capitalize on the vulnerability of believers,which  is percisely why God`s Word tells us to be filled with the spirit, so we can discern wether a any manifestation is actually from Him, and it must be  by knowing the truth (the Word) that keeps people following faithfully, not displays of power,  but I would not, and cannot, presume to  limit the way God has, or will, deal with individual believers or sinners

Heb 2:3  How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him];
Heb 2:4  God also bearing [them] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 07:19:08 AM »

This might help clarify what I have tried to explain...

There are many terms that we use which were not used in the Bible, but designate scriptural facts or principles. Take the word "rapture," for example. Where is it found in the Bible? It isn't. What about the word "Bible" itself? It isn't found in the "Holy Bible" either, but was coined to describe the collection of divinely inspired books which we now claim as the supreme authority of our confession and our faith. So... just because being "slain in the Spirit" is not precisely mentioned does not mean that it is not a scriptural practice.

Secondly, let me say that there are many practices in the modern church for which we can find no corresponding practice in the early church. Take the "mourner's bench" or "altar" for example. The Bible shows us several occasions on which saints built altars and prayed to God, perhaps offering sacrifices of thanksgiving or praise. But where in the scriptures do we see a specific structure built (or even a specific place designated) as a place for sinners to pray a repentant prayer, and receive the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord? We don't. The "mourner's bench" took its place in the heritage of the church around the time of that greatly successful evangelist Charles G. Finney. Yet today many of us (and with good reason) decry the churches that have removed those wooden structures that we call "altars."

Thirdly, it seems to me that you may have a misconception of being "slain in the Spirit." There are many men today who blow on people, hit people, shove people, and break peoples' necks (an exaggeration). Being knocked down on the floor by a blow from a man's hand or his mouth is not being "slain in the Spirit." That is being "knocked over by a man" and has no spiritual connotations at all.

Notice with me, though, the reactions of some of the greatest men in the Bible when they came into the Presence of the Lord. Take Daniel, that man in whom even his enemies could find no fault except in his unswerving service to the Lord. What happened to Daniel when he came into the Presence of God's Spirit? "And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision. Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright" (Daniel 8:16 - 18).

We may even conclude that Daniel here was only in the presence of an angel. And whether it was the "man's voice" (Christ's voice) or the presence of the angel that thus affected Daniel, are we to expect that our response to such an awesome and holy Presence will be any more "dignified" than his? Now let us look at John's response...

"And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man . . . And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not. (Revelation 1:13, 17) And this is that disciple whom "Jesus loved" and who laid his head on Jesus' breast at the "Last Supper." And in saying that he fell at the Savior's feet "as dead," John even lends credibility to our use of the word "slain" in the term "slain in the Spirit."

In conclusion, let us say that being "slain in the Spirit" should be the result of an overwhelming sense of unworthiness and awe in the presence of the Holy Spirit of God. It should not be imitated by using physical force or deceitful practices. Finally, though it is not named specifically in the Word of God as being "slain in the Spirit," there are several examples of happenings in the Bible that coincide closely with what true Pentecostals call being "slain in the Spirit."

Pat answers are not always appropriate, without considering the whole picture. First, there are numerous cases in the Bible of people who had divine visitations and experiences which resulted in their falling prostrate. (Gen. 15:12; 1 Sam.19:24; Daniel 8:17,18; 10:16; Acts 9:4; 10:10;) The Methodists' and other great revivals of church history have been been characterized by such phenomena. However, the experience seems not to have been a passing, light emotion, but rather a powerful impacting of the person's life and left a lasting impression, often resulting in a positive, marked change in distinct areas of their lives. It cannot be denied that some of what we see now may be the operation of occult or psychic powers, manipulation, suggestion, or mind control. Discernment must always be exercised. The Word is our standard for judging, and the fruit must be "unto godliness" in the person whose ministry is being questioned. (2 Tim. 3:10-15; 2 Thess. 2:9; Matt. 7:15,16;. 2 Pet. chapter 2 and the epistle of Jude describe the character of false teachers/prophets, thereby enabling us to recognize them.

http://misslink.org/chapel/askaminister/renewal/slain4.html

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 07:23:19 AM by Shylynne » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 03:10:36 PM »

However the only scripture you used that even remotely has to do with the subject we are discussing is this one...

I am sorry you see it that way. To understand that this was a substitute for being under Gods judgment you need to see that some of the other verses used relate.
Earlier on my first reply I used some other verses, do you have another understanding of these or did you miss them?

Here is a little more to show that those that fall backward are under Gods judgment.

1 Samuel 4:18 And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.

Acts 5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

Even though it doesn’t say which direction he fell both Ananias and his wife fell down.
The bible uses falling backward as a sign that someone is under Gods judgment. I find that these verses are clear on that. I am sorry you can’t see that.
As shown in 1 Kings 18 Satan is not able to call down fire from heaven. Yet the bible says he will in Revelation 13.
Is there any question that fire from heaven is because those consumed are under Gods judgment?
Is there any question that Jesus had every right to call down fire from heaven in John 18?
Do you understand the disciples suggested this very thing in Luke 9:54?
Do you understand Satan was there, in Judas, in John 18?
Don’t you realize Satan has no problem connecting the dots.
“I can’t call down fire from heaven…Fire from heaven is how God judges people…Making people fall backward is another way God judges people…Maybe I can make people fall backward“…Light bulb!

There are many terms that we use which were not used in the Bible, but designate scriptural facts or principles. Take the word "rapture," for example. Where is it found in the Bible? It isn't. What about the word "Bible" itself? It isn't found in the "Holy Bible" either…

Revelation 20:15  And whosoever was not found written in the book <biblion> of life was cast into the lake of fire.

They will probably fall backward into the lake of fire.   Wink
We get the word bible from biblion.
The word rapture gets to us in a more round about way. My understanding is it comes from the Latin word, ‘rapere‘. ‘Rapere’ is a Latin translation of the Greek word, ‘harpazo’. ‘Harpazo’ is usually translated caught up.

1 Thessalonians 4:17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up <harpazo> together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

The "mourner's bench" took its place in the heritage of the church around the time of that greatly successful evangelist Charles G. Finney.
Yes, the altar call is an American invention. I believe it, like being slain in the spirit, leads away from Christ. Here is a good article about the altar call. http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/articles/article_detail.php?422
The power of the sermon should cause us to call out to God, not the power of suggestion.
Notice with me, though, the reactions of some of the greatest men in the Bible when they came into the Presence of the Lord.
A key statement, “ came into the Presence of the Lord.”
When you were slain in the spirit did you physically see God?
I don’t think so.
In fact these things happened as the bible was being written. The bible is now finished. There is no need to add anything more. God has given us His book to trust. Unfortunately many people feel they need more than the bible. And so they look for signs and wonders. When the bible was finished it was sealed.

Revelation 22:18  For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Revelation 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Those that practice the slain in the spirit ceremony are adding to the book.
I would contend the altar call is also not in there, though at least the contention can be made that the bible does allow for calling out to God for mercy.
There is no problem with going to your knees and pleading to God for mercy, but this is much different than the falling backward that happens when one is ‘slain in the spirit‘.
I have fallen asleep on my knees praying to God, that is much different than being knocked unconscious.
Or instantaneously falling to the ground.

Matthew 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Being slain in the spirit may seem to be a wonderful work, it is not.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the