Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Slain In The Spirit???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slain In The Spirit???  (Read 3963 times)
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »

Left Coast,

Are you saying that being in Satan's power is the same as being in God's judgement? I'm a tad confused. Huh

And besides, you speak as if God's judgement is ultimately a bad thing to be under, as if God didn't love us unconditionally!

In fact these things happened as the bible was being written. The bible is now finished. There is no need to add anything more. God has given us His book to trust. Unfortunately many people feel they need more than the bible. And so they look for signs and wonders. When the bible was finished it was sealed.
I need more than the bible, Left Coast; I need my Lord and my God. To say that I need only the bible is a form of idolatry known as bibliolatry.
Revelation 22:18  For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Revelation 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Was he referring to the whole bible, or just to Revelation?

Quote:
Notice with me, though, the reactions of some of the greatest men in the Bible when they came into the Presence of the Lord.
A key statement, “ came into the Presence of the Lord.”
When you were slain in the spirit did you physically see God?
I don’t think so.
And this is relevant how?... Huh

I tend to be wary of the slain-in-the-spirit phenomenon. I think that it is often of the flesh. Probably it is most often a combination of fleshly and Spiritual influence; when the infinite interacts with the finite, the finite remains finite, and is not necessarily free of such forces as the desire to fit in, desire to influence others, the pumping of adrenaline and all kinds of other nice brain chemicals, etc. It can easily lead to idolatry; wise Pentecostal teachers will tell you to seek the Baptizer, and not the baptism.
I know several people well who have had the experience (I have never witnessed either of them having such an experience; neither of them has had any such experience in many years now). They are wise and mature Christian teachers, and stable and sensible people to boot, the fruits of whose lives are good. The fruits of their experiences of being slain in the spirit were also good; one of them described to me, for example, how the experience sparked in him a hunger to read God's word such as he had never experienced before, even though (as a scholar with a Ph.D. in theology) he certainly was well-acquainted with his bible. I cannot write the phenomenon off as demonic.

In His love,

-Grace
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 11:49:23 PM »

Left Coast,

Are you saying that being in Satan's power is the same as being in God's judgement? I'm a tad confused. Huh

And besides, you speak as if God's judgement is ultimately a bad thing to be under, as if God didn't love us unconditionally!
Satan wants to be God. He wants to have power. Gods judgment falls upon the wicked, it is not a good thing.

I need more than the bible, Left Coast; I need my Lord and my God. To say that I need only the bible is a form of idolatry known as bibliolatry.

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

We can’t separate God, and Jesus from the bible. But when you start adding all sorts of other things you no longer have Gods word for a basis.
Bibliolatry? Is that in the bible?

2 Timothy 2:15  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The six words, “is given by inspiration of God” comes from one Greek word, “theopneustos”
The first part, theos, means God. Think theology.
The second part, pneo, means breath. Think pneumonia.
All scripture is God Breathed.

Revelation 22:18  For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Revelation 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
The whole bible. The bible is so intertwined you can’t add to any part of it without affecting the whole.

Quote:
Notice with me, though, the reactions of some of the greatest men in the Bible when they came into the Presence of the Lord.
A key statement, “ came into the Presence of the Lord.”
When you were slain in the spirit did you physically see God?
I don’t think so.
And this is relevant how?... Huh
Shylynne quoted an “expert” that uses examples of the prophets of old. Using men that came into literal physical contact with God to justify being slain in the spirit. It is not the same thing.

I tend to be wary of the slain-in-the-spirit phenomenon.

Be very wary.

I know several people well who have had the experience (I have never witnessed either of them having such an experience; neither of them has had any such experience in many years now). They are wise and mature Christian teachers, and stable and sensible people to boot, the fruits of whose lives are good. The fruits of their experiences of being slain in the spirit were also good; one of them described to me, for example, how the experience sparked in him a hunger to read God's word such as he had never experienced before, even though (as a scholar with a Ph.D. in theology) he certainly was well-acquainted with his bible. I cannot write the phenomenon off as demonic.
I have met many people that seem to be wise and mature Christian teachers. Stable and sensible, whose lives seem to be giving good fruit. Some are Mormon, some Catholic, some Methodist, some Reformed, some SDA, SBC, ETC.
All of these people can’t know the gospel. All can’t be saved. I do not try to judge the hearts of people, either direction. Only God can know if your friend is saved. I am surprised if your friend is a true scholar that he hasn’t made the connection between falling backward and being under Gods judgment.
Actually I am not that surprised there are many intense scholars in all those denominations I mentioned and none of them really agree with each other.
I am off to work in an isolated area of the Oregon Coast, I don’t know when I will be on line again.
God Bless,
John

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 10:06:37 PM »

John wrote:
I am off to work in an isolated area of the Oregon Coast, I don’t know when I will be on line again.

HEY, NOT FAIR!!! What a dirty rotten trick! Grin

And, and isolated area of the Oregon coast? I must confess, I'm jealous! I have a real soft spot for isolated coastal areas.  Grin

Of course, this means that you won't be here to defend yourself!  Cheesy But I'm sure others will step up to bat.  Wink And I hope you do, all; you make me think things through!

Gods judgment falls upon the wicked, it is not a good thing.
I disagree. It is the wicked who most need God's judgement! As hellish as the experience of God's judgement may be for them, I believe that it is their only hope. Paul wrote (I Cor. 4:21 "What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?"; how infinitely more awful will it be for the wicked when God comes with a rod!
BUT: Justice without love is not justice, and love without justice is not love. Just as the most terrible place for the wicked is in God's hands, so is it, even for the wicked, the safest.

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Yes, and the bible is the finite manifestation of the infinite Word which was with God, and was God. It is created, not the Creator.

Not as such. But "idolatry" is; I'm just being a tad more specific.

The whole bible.
I haven't had the chance to look into this; I'll have to get back to you...

The bible is so intertwined you can’t add to any part of it without affecting the whole.
Regardless of what Revelation 22:18-19 refers to, I would certainly agree. Note that I'm not talking about adding material to the bible; what I am saying is that far above and beyond the bible, I need God.

Shylynne quoted an “expert” that uses examples of the prophets of old. Using men that came into literal physical contact with God to justify being slain in the spirit. It is not the same thing.
How do you know? And again, what does physically seeing God have to do with it, and what difference would it make in judging the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the experience?

I have met many people that seem to be wise and mature Christian teachers. Stable and sensible, whose lives seem to be giving good fruit. Some are Mormon, some Catholic, some Methodist, some Reformed, some SDA, SBC, ETC.
All of these people can’t know the gospel. All can’t be saved.
This, too, is up for God to decide. Does any denomination or group consist exclusively of the saved? I don't think so. Neither would I assume that any group of people consists exclusively of the unsaved; with God, anything is possible.

I am surprised if your friend is a true scholar that he hasn’t made the connection between falling backward and being under Gods judgment.
Actually I am not that surprised there are many intense scholars in all those denominations I mentioned and none of them really agree with each other.
And in a bunch of denominations that you haven't named.
And given this fact, we should all beware of believing that because a scholar disagrees with us, they are wrong.

I do hope that you get the opportunity to go online and defend your points soon,

In His love,

-Grace
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 04:51:03 PM »

And, and isolated area of the Oregon coast? I must confess, I'm jealous! I have a real soft spot for isolated coastal areas.  Grin
I was in Port Orford. One day was spectacular weather, none of the days were bad. I don’t understand how someone can go to a place like that, and there are many such beautiful places on this earth, and not see the work of a creator.
I am going to continue working on the S. Oregon coast for the rest of the month.

Gods judgment falls upon the wicked, it is not a good thing.
I disagree. It is the wicked who most need God's judgement! ...
You are confusing judgment with chastisement. God chastises His children. If there is a sin that we don’t seem to want to give up or we can’t get victory over God chastises us.

Hebrews 12:6  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

He loves His children, parents chastise their children when they misbehave.
The unsaved have a different father, their father is the devil.

John 8:44  Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

For those that God intends to save and for those He has saved chastisement is used to bring repentance. It hurts.
There is no pain in the slaying in the spirit concept, unless no one catches you and you hit your head. It is a non-lethal substitute for the total inhalation of Gods fire coming down from heaven.
God uses many words to show judgment.
Stoning, flood, fire, and falling backward all refer to judgment. They are not designed to change behavior they are usually fatal.
Falling backward can be fatal as in 1 Samuel 4:18. It is also used as a non-fatal substitute. It is a way to show the wickedness of the people with out totally destroying them.

John 18:3  Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.

Here is a similar situation in the OT

2 Kings 1:9  Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down.

A band of men came to take Jesus. A band of men came to take Elijah.
They had no right in either case. Elijah responded by calling down fire from heaven.

2 Kings 1:10  And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

The fire consumed them. I am not sure why you think being under Gods judgment would be good.
Jesus had every right to do the exact same thing. Earlier the disciples had even suggested he call down fire from heaven.

Luke 9:54  And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

If Jesus had called down fire He never would have gone to the cross.

Luke 9:56  For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

It was necessary to show Gods judgment on those men that came to take Jesus but fire from heaven would have been counterproductive. Jesus invoked a substitute judgment, that did not have to be lethal.
It is still a judgment and not a chastisement.
By Jesus causing them to fall back he was saying:
You have just been consumed by fire.
Satan was not able to call down fire from heaven.

1 Kings 18:24  And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
1 Kings 18:29  And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.

Satan as Baal failed to bring fire down from heaven.
Then Elijah went to work.

1 Kings 18:37  Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
1 Kings 18:38  Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

The bible says Satan will call down fire from heaven.

Revelation 13:11  And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
Revelation 13:13  And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

He looks like a lamb, it seems to be the gospel. He does great wonders, the signs and wonders churches. He makes fire come down from heaven---he is able to perform the substitute.
And he does it in the sight of men.

2 Corinthians 11:13  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:14  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

When you see this happening are you going to be like the second captain that came for Elijah?

2 Kings 1:12  And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

Or are you going to be like the third captain?

2 Kings 1:13  And he sent again a captain of the third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up, and came and fell on his knees before Elijah, and besought him, and said unto him, O man of God, I pray thee, let my life, and the life of these fifty thy servants, be precious in thy sight.

Regardless of what Revelation 22:18-19 refers to, I would certainly agree. Note that I'm not talking about adding material to the bible; what I am saying is that far above and beyond the bible, I need God.
If something I have said suggested we don’t need God I apologize.
The bible is God breathed. It warns us that many that think they are worshipping God are not.
Many that called Jesus Lord, and felt they were working for Him, were not.

Matthew 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Not as such. But "idolatry" is; I'm just being a tad more specific.
I do not worship the bible but I do trust the bible. I understand the translators are less than perfect as are the translations. I understand I am not perfect as are my understandings. When we seek truth diligently in the bible God can reveal it to us.

John 5:39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Shylynne quoted an “expert” ...
How do you know? And again, what does physically seeing God have to do with it, and what difference would it make in judging the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the experience?
This could quickly grow into a huge topic, which I don‘t have time for. I do not believe God has continued to physically appear to man since the bible was finished, this ties in with Rev. 22.
I believe the bible warns that the nature of the end times is the emergence of signs and wonders churches. I touched on this slightly above. I have not heard anyone say they fell backward because they physically saw God. I believe I have given strong scriptural support that falling back is a substitute for fire coming down from heaven and burning them to ash.

I have met many people that seem to be wise and mature Christian teachers. …
All can’t be saved.
This, too, is up for God to decide. Does any denomination or group consist exclusively of the saved? I don't think so. Neither would I assume that any group of people consists exclusively of the unsaved; with God, anything is possible.
Your answer is good.
Just because someone appears to be a wise and mature Christian teacher it does not mean they are or teach truth. That’s why I go to the bible for truth.

And given this fact, we should all beware of believing that because a scholar disagrees with us, they are wrong.
I am sorry I don’t understand this statement.

Revelation 16:14  For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
facedown

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 10:56:35 AM »

So interesting that people say that being 'slain in the spirit' is of the devil. Very interesting....Consider:

From the NIV, Luke Chapter 9

49"Master," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us." 50"Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you."

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

Dont assume because you believe someone, somewhere, to be doing something fake, means that everyone, everywhere, is also doing the same thing in a fake way, only seeking 'signs and wonders'.

Also, to say that it has only been a bad thing when people have laid down prostrate in the Bible was due to something other than the Glory of God, has not studied the OT on this matter. Let me elaborate:

Ezekiel 44:4
I saw the Glory of the LORD filling the temple of the LORD, and I fell facedown

Genesis 17:3
Abram fell facedown, and God said to him,

Leviticus 9:24
Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.

Numbers 14:5
Then Moses and Aaron fell facedown in front of the whole Israelite assembly gathered there.

Joshua 7:6
Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the LORD , remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same, and sprinkled dust on their heads

1 Chronicles 21:16
David looked up and saw the angel of the LORD standing between heaven and earth, with a drawn sword in his hand extended over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell facedown.

Ezekiel 1:28
Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD . When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Well, I guess the WORD itself has elaborated enough. No, I am not saying that the Bible says these people were 'slain in the Spirit'. But you see the same reaction. Under the presence, under the annointing, upon the Glory of our LORD, these people fell facedown. It does not say that they fell backwards, or that it was voluntary or not. But that doesnt take away from the fact that it happened: they fell down.....

Grace, and Peace to you all.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the