Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286802 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  By grace you have been saved.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: By grace you have been saved.  (Read 12289 times)
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2004, 07:38:26 PM »

Petro wrote:  My eyes light up, when I see scriptures that sound foreign to me.

Please tell me which scripture version you are quoting from.
==================
I hope that your eyes lighting up means a positive response  Cool !!!   I use the "Literal Translation" by Jay P. Green Sr. based on the TR.

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2004, 07:44:24 PM »

The Crusader said "unworthy servant, Having read your posts, on this thread, it sounds as though you knew the answer to the question you put forth, and simply wanted to aceentuate it, in a way, that would scold someone.  Maybe not..."

When Priscilla and Aquila heard Apollos, they knew the proper answer before they talked to him.  And they "explained to him the way of God more accurately."

Acts 18:24-26 Now a Jew named Apollos, an Alexandrian  by birth, an  eloquent man, came to Ephesus;  and he was mighty in the Scriptures.  This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he was speaking and teaching accurately the things concerning Jesus, being acquainted only with the  baptism of John;  and he  began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla  and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the  way of God more accurately.

I saw the topic which said "By grace you have been saved."  Jn said he was saved by grace and spiritual baptism.  Shouldn't the topic have said "By grace and spiritual baptism you have been saved."?

Now I have a question for you, the same one asked to Christ:  "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?"

Luke 13:23-30 And someone said to Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" And He said to them,  "Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able. "Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, `Lord, open up to us!' then He will answer and say to you, `I do not know where you are from.'  "Then you will begin to say, `We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets'; and He will say, `I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.'  "In  that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.  "And they will  come from east and west and from north and south, and will recline at the table in the kingdom of God.  "And behold, some  are last who will be first and some are first who will be last."

Matthew 7:21-23 "Not  everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; DEPART  FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

So according, to Christ is EVERYONE who calls on the name of the Lord going to be saved?  No. (This one is a Rhetorical question)
"So according, to Christ is EVERYONE who calls on the name of the Lord going to be saved?  No. (This one is a Rhetorical question) "

No, not everyone, it is whosoever.

Support your local Christian.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2004, 10:25:35 AM »

Petro wrote:  My eyes light up, when I see scriptures that sound foreign to me.

Please tell me which scripture version you are quoting from.
==================
I hope that your eyes lighting up means a positive response  Cool !!!   I use the "Literal Translation" by Jay P. Green Sr. based on the TR.

malkyel,

You posted the first scripture as follows;

Eph 5:25  Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly and gave Himself up on its behalf,
26 that He might sanctify it, cleansing it by the washing of the water in the Word,
27 that He might present it to Himself as the glorious assembly, not having spot or wrinkle, or any such things, but that it be holy and without blemish.

What did'nt sound right was the end of verse 26, at;

"the water in the Word"  

It would be interesting to see, what JP Green, comments about the verse;

I see He or you, capitalzed the word, Word at this verse, no doubt intended and refering to Jesus the living word.

My Greek-English inter-linear lexicon, reads;

"that he might sanctify, having cleansed [it] by the washing of water by [the] word,

I need to give this translated verse more thought, before commenting on it.

The issue with me, on this is the person of the trinity being credited with the sanctifying cleansing, the lexicon gives clear meaning that it is the spoken word that cleanses (Jhn 15:3), and that might refer to the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit the third person of the triune Godhead.

There may not be anything to this, but, somehow I see, a problem with exchanging the word "in" for the word "by".

I am not trying to split hairs, It just simply popped out glaringly, when I read the verse, and it didn't sound right.

For anyone that doesn't scrutnize words, this is a none issue I suppose, but I like to be very carefull about words, afterall, they convey Gods own words put into the mouth of Jesus, and refer to the issues of life and death.

Thanks,

Petro
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 10:30:47 AM by Petro » Logged

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2004, 05:01:42 PM »

All saved persons have been made members of the Body of Christ by one divine baptism (I Cor. 12:13). By this one baptism every mem­ber of the Body of Christ is identified with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. In the light of the statement concerning the “one baptism” in Ephesians 4:5, the statements con­cerning baptism in Colossians 2:12 and Romans 6:3, 4, and Paul's statement in I Corinthians 1:17 that "Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel," we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace.

Your friend and brother

The Crusader
<Smiley))><

DITTO Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2004, 07:12:05 PM »

Petro,
        I am definitely on the same page as you.  It is crucial for correct interpretation of the Word to make sure every word is properly applied.  I have pasted from the blueletterbible - a concordance - which gives the definition of the word "ev" used in that verse.  The Greek is a preposition and can be interpreted as on, in, with, etc.  
      Just food for thought - Jesus is the Word - John 1:1, 14.  So the cleansingwashing of/in/by/with the Word is really all in the same ballpark.  I am curious as to why you separate out the work of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is God/Jesus, so therefore the work is God's.  I understand that it is the power of the Spirit, but I find is not condusive to split up the work per se, between Who does what.  When I read the Book, I believe it is God speaking to me and He will accomplish His work in me as I remain submitted to Him, however He chooses.

Lexicon Results for en (Strong's 1722)
Greek for 1722

Pronunciation Guide
en {en}

TDNT Reference Root Word
TDNT - 2:537,233 a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537)
Part of Speech
prep
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) in, by, with etc.

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 2800
AV - in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62,
     through 39, misc 264; 2800

Thayer's Lexicon (Help)

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2004, 07:14:26 PM »

Crusader wrote:
" . . . we affirm that water baptism has no place in God's spiritual program for the Body of Christ in this day of grace".
============================================
Could you be a little more specific on this?  I am really curious!!!

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2004, 07:54:58 PM »

Okay, let me get this straight.  First, you say you are saved by grace, then you say &#8220;No, I am saved by grace AND baptism of the holy spirit.&#8221;  (You must have forgotten to put 1 Peter 3:21 on your orginal list).  The Scriptures say there is one baptism and you say there are two:  the Baptism in the Holy Spirit which is the saving power; and  Baptism for a &#8220;public declaration&#8221; of  faith in Jesus (of which you never gave me chapter or verse to prove eithers existence &#8211; 2 Cor 13:1)

Now you say &#8220;To me, being saved by grace and being baptized in the Holy Spirit happen concurrently. When one accepts Jesus as savior, the Holy Spirit enters the heart &#8211; and WHAM! one is saved by grace.&#8221;

You said you received the Holy Spirit concurrently with your spiritual baptism and Christ received the Holy Spirit subsequent to His baptism.

(Concurrent:  happening at the same time; subsequent: following after. Merriam Webster Dictionary)

Matthew 3:16 - And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him.

In fact, if you look at Acts 2:38-40, the Holy Spirit was received subsequent to repentance and baptism for the remission of sins, not concurrently.  This cannot be your &#8220;public baptism&#8221;, since the men were asking &#8220;what shall we do?&#8221;:

Acts 2:38-40 - Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.  And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

You never mentioned anything about repentance, either. (That is not surprising since you forgot to mention the baptism of the holy spirit, also) Yet the apostles said the men had to repent and be baptised to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Since &#8220;and&#8221; is important to your &#8220;saved by grace and spiritual baptism&#8221; the word &#8220;and&#8221; must be just as important here, also.  Why?  Because the word &#8220;and &#8220; is used to connect other words together, such as repentance and baptism. Repentance + Baptism = Saved.

(And:  used to indicate connection or addition esp, of items within the same class or type or join words or phrases of the same grammatical rank or function.- Merriam Webster)

If we look elsewhere where the word &#8220;and&#8221; is connecting words in the same thought to the word &#8220;saved&#8221; we go to:

Matt 16:15-16 - and he said to them, `Having gone to all the world, proclaim the good news to all the creation; he who hath believed, and hath been baptized, shall be saved; and he who hath not believed, shall be condemned.

Here the word &#8220;and&#8221; connects the words &#8220;Believes&#8221; and &#8220;Baptised&#8221;.  Believes + Baptised = Saved.

Mark 16:15-16     Believes + Baptised = Saved.
Acts 2:38-40      Repents + Baptised = Saved
1 Peter 3:21      Baptism = Saves

Reduced to common denominators,  we have how we are to be saved by Grace:

Believes + Repents + Baptised = Saved.

See JN, that is the advantage of using Scripture to prove Scripture.

You forgot hear before believe. What was Peter doing bfore the " what shall we do?" was asked?
 He was preaching to them. They heard , were pricked in their hearts by the word of God and asked, " what shall we do?".

Romans 10:12.  For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
 13.  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
 14. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
 15.  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
 16.  But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
 17.  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Support your local Christian.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2004, 10:13:27 AM »

My Gospel

I Cor. 15:1-4 1 " Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2004, 11:50:04 AM »

Petro,
        I am definitely on the same page as you.  It is crucial for correct interpretation of the Word to make sure every word is properly applied.  I have pasted from the blueletterbible - a concordance - which gives the definition of the word "ev" used in that verse.  The Greek is a preposition and can be interpreted as on, in, with, etc.  
      Just food for thought - Jesus is the Word - John 1:1, 14.  So the cleansingwashing of/in/by/with the Word is really all in the same ballpark.  I am curious as to why you separate out the work of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is God/Jesus, so therefore the work is God's.  I understand that it is the power of the Spirit, but I find is not condusive to split up the work per se, between Who does what.  When I read the Book, I believe it is God speaking to me and He will accomplish His work in me as I remain submitted to Him, however He chooses.

Lexicon Results for en (Strong's 1722)
Greek for 1722

Pronunciation Guide
en {en}

TDNT Reference Root Word
TDNT - 2:537,233 a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537)
Part of Speech
prep
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) in, by, with etc.

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 2800
AV - in 1902, by 163, with 140, among 117, at 113, on 62,
     through 39, misc 264; 2800

Thayer's Lexicon (Help)

malkyel,

I don;t disagree with words and definitions of this.

I am, thinking of many who seem to worship the Holy Spirit instead of Jesus.

This same exchange of two other words appear at;

Gal 2
16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. KJV

Gal 2
16  know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we. too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.  NIV

Do these two verses state exactly the same thing?

How does JP Green quote the verse?

"Of" and "in",  are not synonomous in the english vocabulary, or are they?

Petro
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 03:47:37 AM by Petro » Logged

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2004, 09:29:02 PM »

Petro wrote:

Gal 2
16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. KJV

Gal 2
16  know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we. too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.  NIV

=====================
I looked it up - he uses both - his online Bible uses in and his linear NT uses into/of.

If I may interject here - it is hard, at times, to define the English compared to the Greek.  This verse has a concept that I have begun to understand in a little more depth recently.  Faith in God is of God.  In other words - we do not have faith on our own.  It is a gift.  Therefore; to say we have faith in Messiah or of Him is really saying the same thing.  It is His faith in us, not ours.

If I say to you, I have love in my heart for God or I say the love of my heart is God - am I saying the same thing?  For me, the answer is yes.  I cannot love God if He is not in me.

Shalom, Nancy  Cool

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2004, 11:11:46 PM »

Petro wrote:

Gal 2

Gal 2

=====================
I looked it up - he uses both - his online Bible uses in and his linear NT uses into/of.

If I may interject here - it is hard, at times, to define the English compared to the Greek.  This verse has a concept that I have begun to understand in a little more depth recently.  Faith in God is of God.  In other words - we do not have faith on our own.  It is a gift.  Therefore; to say we have faith in Messiah or of Him is really saying the same thing.  It is His faith in us, not ours.

If I say to you, I have love in my heart for God or I say the love of my heart is God - am I saying the same thing?  For me, the answer is yes.  I cannot love God if He is not in me.

Shalom, Nancy  Cool

nancy,

Precisely,  You have explained it exactly as it is worded herein.

The faith which saved us, is not ours, but is the faith of Jesus (in His heavenly Father), who gave himself for us, of which  faith we are made partakers, God then giving as a gift faith to even believe in Jesus, for this belief is a gift of God.

I have been sharing this over and over herein, and I am not sure if anyone has grasped it yet..

Yet you have stated it precisely.

Many will agree salvation is 100% of God, but if asked to explain this idea, none can, they always state, they believed, and will even argue this point as being their part in their salvation.

Yet the verse which even make sit clear, belief in Jesus was given by God is;

Phil 1
 29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Having shared this with you, I wonder if you would go so far as to agree with this?

Somehow, I just do not see this as off the mark, I see the claim man believes or produces some kind of faith, as being off the mark..and from there all other sorts of errors are born.

I am still interested in hearing how JP Green has translated the verses.

My problem is that the unlearned, can get derailed, by the misuse of these little words, "faith of Jesus", does not sound the same as "faith in Jesus", unless you understand that faith is a gift, many do not believe this is so..they see the grace of Eph 2:8-9 as a gift, but faith is not, I see both as being a gift, which means to me salvation is 100% of God.

If you could please post them for me..

Blessings,

Petro

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:55 PM »

Petro:  Many will agree salvation is 100% of God, but if asked to explain this idea, none can, they always state, they believed, and will even argue this point as being their part in their salvation.

Phil 1
29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Having shared this with you, I wonder if you would go so far as to agree with this?

Somehow, I just do not see this as off the mark, I see the claim man believes or produces some kind of faith, as being off the mark..and from there all other sorts of errors are born.
====================================
Nancy: I totally agree with you.  We are born children of darkness and having no love of His Light or Truth in us.  For this reason, Jesus was sent - He is the Light of the World, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  He is the Creator of all things.  Faith comes from Him for He is faith.  The moment we believe that anything that comes from within ourselves has any fragment or element of righteousness we are full of pride and deception.

Rom 12:3   For through the grace which is given to me, I say to everyone being among you, not to have high thoughts beyond what is right to think. But set your mind to be right-minded, even as God divided a measure of faith to each.

Rom 10:17   Then faith is of hearing, and hearing through the Word of God.[Jesus is the Word of God made flesh - John 1:14]

Jude :3   ¶ Having made all haste to write to you about the common salvation, beloved, I had need to write to you to exhort you to contend earnestly for the faith once delivered to the saints.

Jude :20   But you, beloved, building yourselves up by your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, eagerly awaiting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to everlasting life.

Hebrew 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please God. For it is right that the one drawing near to God should believe that He is, and that He becomes a rewarder to the ones seeking Him out.
8 Having been called out by faith, Abraham obeyed to go forth to a place which he was going to receive for an inheritance; and he went out not understanding where he went.
[in reading this chapter, "by faith" accompanies each example of faith - verse 8 - Abe was called out by faith]

Heb 12
1  So therefore we also, having so great a cloud of witnesses lying around us, having laid aside every weight and the easily surrounding sin, through patience let us also run the race set before us,
2   looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith, Jesus
, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, "and sat down at the right" of the throne of God. Psa. 110:1
3 For consider Him who had endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you do not grow weary, fainting in your souls.

Luke 17:5   And the apostles said to the Lord, Give us more faith.
6 But the Lord said, If you had faith as a grain of mustard, you may say to this sycamine tree, Be rooted up and be planted in the sea! And it would obey you.
7 But which of you having a slave plowing or feeding will say at once to him coming out of the field, Come, recline?
8 But will he not say to him, Prepare something what I may eat, and having girded yourself, serve me until I eat and drink, and after these things you shall eat and drink?
9 Does not he have thanks to that slave because he did the things commanded of him? I think not.
10 So also when you have done all things commanded you, you say, We are unprofitable slaves, for we have done what we ought to do.
[imho, I believe Jesus is saying:  you want more faith? - then do what I have commanded you and I will give you the faith you need to obey - it comes from Me as your Master]
=======================================
Petro:  I am still interested in hearing how JP Green has translated the verses. . . If you could please post them for me..

Gal 2:16  [LITV]  16 knowing that a man is not justified by works of Law, but that it is through faith in Jesus Christ (we also believed into Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of Law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of Law). Psa. 123:2
Psa 123:1,2   I will lift up my eyes on You, O Dweller in Heaven.
2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters; as the eyes of a maiden to the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait on Jehovah our God, until He shows grace to us.

Jay Green's Literal Translation online:  litvonline.com
Jay Green's Modern King James Version:  mjkvonline.com
==============================
Petro:  My problem is that the unlearned, can get derailed, by the misuse of these little words, "faith of Jesus", does not sound the same as "faith in Jesus", unless you understand that faith is a gift, many do not believe this is so..they see the grace of Eph 2:8-9 as a gift, but faith is not, I see both as being a gift, which means to me salvation is 100% of God.

Nancy:  Absolutely.  What is man?  but a breath - all have fallen short of the glory of God.

Shalom, Nancy   Cool

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

Petro:  Many will agree salvation is 100% of God, but if asked to explain this idea, none can, they always state, they believed, and will even argue this point as being their part in their salvation.

Phil 1

====================================
Nancy: I totally agree with you.  We are born children of darkness and having no love of His Light or Truth in us.  For this reason, Jesus was sent - He is the Light of the World, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  He is the Creator of all things.  Faith comes from Him for He is faith.  The moment we believe that anything that comes from within ourselves has any fragment or element of righteousness we are full of pride and deception.

Rom 12:3   For through the grace which is given to me, I say to everyone being among you, not to have high thoughts beyond what is right to think. But set your mind to be right-minded, even as God divided a measure of faith to each.

Rom 10:17   Then faith is of hearing, and hearing through the Word of God.[Jesus is the Word of God made flesh - John 1:14]

Jude :3   ¶ Having made all haste to write to you about the common salvation, beloved, I had need to write to you to exhort you to contend earnestly for the faith once delivered to the saints.

Jude :20   But you, beloved, building yourselves up by your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, eagerly awaiting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to everlasting life.

Hebrew 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please God. For it is right that the one drawing near to God should believe that He is, and that He becomes a rewarder to the ones seeking Him out.
8 Having been called out by faith, Abraham obeyed to go forth to a place which he was going to receive for an inheritance; and he went out not understanding where he went.
[in reading this chapter, "by faith" accompanies each example of faith - verse 8 - Abe was called out by faith]

Heb 12
1  So therefore we also, having so great a cloud of witnesses lying around us, having laid aside every weight and the easily surrounding sin, through patience let us also run the race set before us,
2   looking to the Author and Finisher of our faith, Jesus
, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, "and sat down at the right" of the throne of God. Psa. 110:1
3 For consider Him who had endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you do not grow weary, fainting in your souls.

Luke 17:5   And the apostles said to the Lord, Give us more faith.
6 But the Lord said, If you had faith as a grain of mustard, you may say to this sycamine tree, Be rooted up and be planted in the sea! And it would obey you.
7 But which of you having a slave plowing or feeding will say at once to him coming out of the field, Come, recline?
8 But will he not say to him, Prepare something what I may eat, and having girded yourself, serve me until I eat and drink, and after these things you shall eat and drink?
9 Does not he have thanks to that slave because he did the things commanded of him? I think not.
10 So also when you have done all things commanded you, you say, We are unprofitable slaves, for we have done what we ought to do.
[imho, I believe Jesus is saying:  you want more faith? - then do what I have commanded you and I will give you the faith you need to obey - it comes from Me as your Master]
=======================================
Petro:  I am still interested in hearing how JP Green has translated the verses. . . If you could please post them for me..

Gal 2:16  [LITV]  16 knowing that a man is not justified by works of Law, but that it is through faith in Jesus Christ (we also believed into Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of Law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of Law). Psa. 123:2
Psa 123:1,2   I will lift up my eyes on You, O Dweller in Heaven.
2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters; as the eyes of a maiden to the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait on Jehovah our God, until He shows grace to us.

Jay Green's Literal Translation online:  litvonline.com
Jay Green's Modern King James Version:  mjkvonline.com
==============================
Petro:  My problem is that the unlearned, can get derailed, by the misuse of these little words, "faith of Jesus", does not sound the same as "faith in Jesus", unless you understand that faith is a gift, many do not believe this is so..they see the grace of Eph 2:8-9 as a gift, but faith is not, I see both as being a gift, which means to me salvation is 100% of God.

Nancy:  Absolutely.  What is man?  but a breath - all have fallen short of the glory of God.

Shalom, Nancy   Cool

malkyel,

Ref; JP Greens Gal2:16  ..........(we also believed into Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of Law, because all flesh will not be justified by works of Law).

All that to explain the insertion of the little word "in".

Fat Book..

Thanks for your response....

Blessings,
Petro

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2004, 09:15:28 PM »

Yes, Petro, His Word is a fat book  Grin

His Word is like pure silver forged in the fire seven times, and it does not return void - it accomplishes what He has purposed  Grin

Shalom, Nancy  Cool

The Crusader
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 06:20:16 AM »

By grace you have been saved.

God sent his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins.

Eph 1:7 In Him we have a redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.

Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Lets start over.

By grace you have been saved.

God sent his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins.

Eph 1:7 In Him we have a redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.

Eph 2:5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the