Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How the Army has changed me
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Improvement? You can be brutally honest. My girl is.
Much better - boy to man - the right move - 3 (75%)
Cute kid changed forever to a big ugly bulldog - but the Army's worth it. - 1 (25%)
Military isn't for Christians. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the Army has changed me  (Read 1731 times)
David_N

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:48 AM »

Two years ago, after a lot of thought, I decided to make a big career move.
I look so different now that my old friends don't recognize me!
No regrets though.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:53:08 AM by David_N » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »

I would say none of the above. Yes, you do look more grownup but that isn't important and there is nothing wrong with Christians being in the Military. In fact it is a very honorable thing for a Christian to do. What is important is why you joined and what you do while you are there. As the Bible tells us, all we say and do should be for the Lord. Not for reasons of vanity.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:52 AM »

Yes, I understand, sir. There are far more important things, and the poll is only for fun and for my girl Deb's curiosity.

What is important is the fact that many people feel led into this life - and that it is the only way for them.

It's a contentious subject, as many Christians feel that military service is not compatible.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:37:16 AM »

First of all I want to say thenk you for your service. I should have said that sooner when I first saw you were in the Military. As I said it is an honorable service to be in.

Most Christians that are against Military service are those that are of the belief of pacifism. There is much in the bible that supports Christians being a Soldier. They take the words of God and twist them to show that we should not be in service. If that were the case then only non-Christians would have control of the things that happen and there would soon be no freedoms and perhaps even no Christians. All the laws would soon be of an anti-Christian nature. We already see this now with the removal of anything Christian from the public eye.

If you haven't learned this as of yet in the Army I am sure that you will. Any war is fought on more than one front. Wars are fought and won with a combination of Troops on the front lines, with politicians, in courts and with public opinion. This is the same with the war on evil. Yes, as Christians we are at war. It is a war of good and evil. In order for us to battle evil we must attack it in a variety of ways. We must try to win souls, to bring them to Christ. In order to do so we need the freedom of being able to tell them the truth of their need for Jesus Christ. We must do what we can to protect others from the evil that wishes to destroy them. As a Soldier this is what you are doing, protecting others from the evil that they may not be able to protect themselves from. You are attempting to stop evil.

I have spoken on this many times as I had to deal with this subject myself and I talk to many in the Military that are also struggling with this idea.

I have made a post here on this forum that may be of interest to you on this and may be of some help..

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?topic=7567.0

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

I think this is a very enlightened view, and one which the majority of my friends support.

But, again, approval from people is not what I'm seeking.

The enormous physical change is, I hope, symbolic. It's part of letting go of a previously rebellious nature, and this life has certainly helped me to do that!

Please feel free to vote, anyway - for Deb.

I'm glad to have found understanding, and for recognition that there are good fights!
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

You make pacifism sound like a bad thing. I'd only fight if someone was being attacked.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »

You make pacifism sound like a bad thing. I'd only fight if someone was being attacked

Yes, and I think there comes the rub. Not everyone can agree on when we are in a position of being attacked. I'm personally happy to accept the guidance of those in authority over me, but I understand that not everyone feels like that.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »

Not for reasons of vanity
Oh - haha. I meant to say, vanity was the last reason for which I joined. There's little vain about the way I look now!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

Yes, and I think there comes the rub. Not everyone can agree on when we are in a position of being attacked. I'm personally happy to accept the guidance of those in authority over me, but I understand that not everyone feels like that.

It is not necessarily when we are being attacked. It is also a matter of defending those that cannot defend themselves, taking care of the less fortunate. It is as the Samaritan that was the only one that took the time, money and effort to aid a man that had been beaten, robbed and left half-dead alongside the road. It is a Godly act to help those that need the help.

If you look in the news you will see that many of those that are against war are usually those that are the first to resort to civil violence. They attempt to support their anti-war actions on the Bible yet it is the Bible that speaks against civil violence but not against war nor against violence needed to protect others.

Oh - haha. I meant to say, vanity was the last reason for which I joined. There's little vain about the way I look now!

Actually, I think that you look much better now.

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:47 PM »

Two years have definitely changed the way you look, but without knowing you personally we have no way of knowing what military service did for you. For me it turned me from a scared boy into a man. My only regret is not staying in and retiring from the military.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »

Two years have definitely changed the way you look, but without knowing you personally we have no way of knowing what military service did for you

I think it has helped me become more focused and far more disciplined - both enormously important things. It is the best thing I ever did. One of the greatest things, however, is that it has greatly helped me on the road to overcoming my rebellious and wild nature. The way I look now is part of that!

I'm so glad the life helped you too, sir.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »

Hello David,

I'll just say that if I was an employer, I would rather hire the sharp, more mature and more disciplined man.

I firmly believe there is a great need for Christians in the Armed Services. Further, I think that a tour in the Military is one of the most intelligent things a young adult can do, regardless of whether they make a career out of it or not. It does open the door for growing up, getting an education, and obtaining all kinds of positive qualities that can be used for the rest of their lives. There is obviously much to be said about purpose and making service a positive thing for yourself and others. This could be said about many careers and types of services, but I think that starting out life with some Military service builds maturity, discipline, and responsibility more quickly than anything else. One does grow up and become better prepared for life, and this is without talking about the education and training opportunities.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 4:4 NASB  But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 11:29:36 PM »

Hello David, first of all.......... Thank you for your service to our country. I echo, what Pastor Roger has told you.

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »

I think it has helped me become more focused and far more disciplined - both enormously important things. It is the best thing I ever did. One of the greatest things, however, is that it has greatly helped me on the road to overcoming my rebellious and wild nature. The way I look now is part of that!

I'm so glad the life helped you too, sir.

You don't have to "sir" me. I'm just Jon-Marc or Jonathan, whichever you prefer. I like one as well as the other. My military time was in the late 60's and early 70's.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

You don't have to "sir" me. I'm just Jon-Marc or Jonathan, whichever you prefer. I like one as well as the other. My military time was in the late 60's and early 70's

Oh, Ok!  Grin

I think my girl wants to come on here to vote!

Thanks all for your support, and for some wise words, which have been appreciiated. It's great to find understanding, and I know that, in the military, my attitudes have changed as vastly as my appearance.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:05:48 PM by David_N » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the