Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What Do You Treasure And Why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do You Treasure And Why?  (Read 3475 times)
livingbyfaith

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »

I hesitated on writing this but I knew I had to wait until God gave me the go ahead. I got it today when a heard someone on a Christian channel speaking along these lines. So please bear with me.

If you think I’m pointing a finger at you, remember when I point a finger at you, there are 3 pointing back at me. The thumb doesn’t say anything! You may not like what I am going to say but it has to be said to open our eyes. Some may be exempt but I am talking in general. If you are guilty, admit it. I know I am guilty. We need to ask God for forgiveness.

This topic has been on my mind for quite awhile. Then all the talk about the economy makes me realize that God is not happy the way this country is going financially. It is hard enough to owe someone for a loan for a house or a car. These are necessary.

The introduction of the credit card helped many to go buying things they didn’t need right away. Does it make sense to have an extra payment to make along with the high interest that will be charged.
It would be better to save what you would make as a payment until you have enough to buy it outright. Then what you do have is yours and not the one you owe it to.

I hate to admit it but I got in a jam because I didn’t study just how a credit card could get me (and you) trapped. I didn’t think of unseen needs of money coming up. I was handling my pay pretty good. MY payments were always on time. I even got more groceries than I ever got. That’s another story.

Then the bottom fell out. About a year ago, I realized there was something very wrong with me. I lost interest in everything. I didn’t even want to be around people. I got to the point every little thing was too hard to do. I just wanted to sleep. Then I heard of sleep apnea. I had the sleep test. I was told I was almost in a deep depression. I was living in a fogl Oxygen was given to me. (After two months I didn’t need it anymore! PTL) In a short time I felt like I was waking up from a deep sleep. My life began to be more enjoyable. And I became more energetic sociable. I look for people now.

Then I had a slight heart attack. More expenses appeared in my mail box. Bills started to come in like a flood. I had insurance but it didn’t pay for everything. I am making payments on a huge hospital bill that never seems to go down. Every visit to my doctors means another co-payment. I am sure many of you have or are experiencing all this. I wasn’t taking any medicines or seeing doctors often. Now I spend time and money going back and forth to doctors’ offices or somewhere for tests. Instead of a few vitamins I am now taking 6 meds. I didn’t look ahead for that rainy day. Now I am caught in it without an umbrella.

Matt 6-19 (NKJV)Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

How have we become a generation of “buy buy, buy”? Sure it’s great to have nice things but how much do we actually need? We women just have to have all the newest gadgets to keep our homes looking nice. At least that’s what the TV tells us. Some pretty girl or a handsome man demonstrates it for us to show us how easy it is to use. And we only have to make small payments. What a lie and we bought into it.
In a sense that is lust of the eye. If we didn’t see the gadget or hear about it, would we even think about anything like that. We’d be satisfied with what we have.

1 John 2:16 (NKJV) For all that is in the world; the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life; is not of the Father but is of the world.

We also get all kinds of catalogs along with other ads, to look at that make us think we need it. It makes it seem less time consuming as well as saving power. If we made do with the old one, we would be saving money by making the most use of it. I get it then don’t even know how to use it. I get tired looking at it. I give it away to get it out of my sight. I never sell anything. I am glad to give it away then I don’t feel so guilty spending money I don’t have to get it.

Next on the list is clothing for women. They look in the cupboard and say they have nothing to wear. The cupboard is packed! What some women wouldn’t give to have all of them or even some. This calls for a shopping spree. Off she goes and come back loaded down. Where did she get the money? From the credit card! It was such a bargain. Of course! What else is there?

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Did you see the magic word? I don’t need money. I have a CREDIT CARD! Not just one but two or three or more from different stores. Did you ever wonder how you would get it paid? I didn’t. Now I have three cards almost maxed out. I never planned on hospital and doctor bills. What a time I have trying to juggle my money.

Are men exempt from this buying binge? NO! Boy the gadgets they need. They are tired of mowing grass with the old push mower which would be much better for their health. They don’t just buy an electric mower. It has to be a riding one!

The “boys” get obsessed with owning the newest and best automobile to outdo someone else. MY hubby bought two every three years whether we needed it or not. We were always ahead of the neighborhood but at great expense. But I had to work to help pay for it! MY kids got neglected a lot. I was either working or too tired to give them all the attention they needed. They were very deprived of what they needed most.

Of course there is all kinds of tool gadgets. There are new ones coming out as long as people will buy them. “I just need it” is the well-known song. Our eyes and ears (TV) are bombarded with a lot of ads to blow up their necessity.

Radios were good enough when I was young ---born in 1930.It was nice everyone listening to it together. Wow! What a great thing when TV.s came in. The first one I saw was only 7 inches and in black and white. The whole neighborhood gathered around it! MY family didn’t even have one.

Now each home has several of them. All are in color and much larger sizes. I am overwhelmed with the ones that cover a whole room. There is just me but I had to have two but much smaller.

Technology took over. Then I needed a VCR, CD and DVD players. I have a computer but this was necessary. It is my ministry writing what God tells me to do. Some things are really needed.

I will wind this up for now. There are so many things the Holy Spirit wants me to bring out. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Do you wonder why our economy is bad? This should give you something to chew on. I dare you to take an inventory and find the stuff you bought and it is just sitting-quite useless-in the cupboard or garage. Did you need it or just want it?  I have clothes I never wear.  I have to pack them up and give them to Goodwill or another organization for teh needy.

Shall I go on? In time I will cover foolish spending. We want; we want; we want. I am guilty of this and now I suffer for it.

1 John 2:16 (NKJV) For all that is in the world; the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life; is not of the Father but is of the world.

Are we good stewards with what God has given us? I am not and I ask God to forgive me.
God bless you.

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:20:16 PM »

I understand where you're coming from here. Society today certainly makes people think we have to have a lot of "things".
But really, all these things will someday be nothing but dust.

I don't have much. Never have. That's okay. I figure if/when God wants me to have more, He'll find a way to get me more.

There are very few "things" I treasure. I really like my handmade baby blanket that my great-grandmother crocheted for me, that I still sleep with. I really like our family photographs. Thats about all, as far as material things go.

The real things that I treasure are my relationship with Jesus. My relationships in my family. The fact that my name is written in the Book of Life. The fact that my Saviour will someday say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant"--the words that I long to hear.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:35 PM »

AMEN LIVINGBYFAITH AND HAPPYGIRL!

Happygirl, I missed this post from Livingbyfaith, and you helped me find it by posting here. I love her writing, and it appears that I'm going to love your writing also. Christians don't need much to be happy, especially the things of this world. Our RICHES are in CHRIST, and we are RICH beyond human imagination!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Revelation 1:12-20 NIV  12  I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands,  13  and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man," dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest.  14  His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.  15  His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.  16  In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.  17  When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.  18  I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.  19  "Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later.  20  The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

livingbyfaith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »

I understand where you're coming from here. Society today certainly makes people think we have to have a lot of "things".
But really, all these things will someday be nothing but dust.

I don't have much. Never have. That's okay. I figure if/when God wants me to have more, He'll find a way to get me more.

There are very few "things" I treasure. I really like my handmade baby blanket that my great-grandmother crocheted for me, that I still sleep with. I really like our family photographs. Thats about all, as far as material things go.

The real things that I treasure are my relationship with Jesus. My relationships in my family. The fact that my name is written in the Book of Life. The fact that my Saviour will someday say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant"--the words that I long to hear.

I'm with you Happy Girl.  In time I bought so much stuff that now II am overwhelmed with it all.  I give stuff away but it seems like there is no end to it.  I just had to buy a new computer and printer but it was bought with my stimulus check---cash! cash!  cash!  PTL!  One more big thing---I do have to buy is an air conditioner when I get my rent rebate in July.

Any extra cash I get after that will go toward paying off the credit cards.No more foolish buying.
I learn things teh hard way. 

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the