Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Deacons
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deacons  (Read 7296 times)
StrikeToWin

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »

Maybe you are a deacon in your church or maybe you have an idea of what a deacon's responsibility is in the church.  I'm curious what your thoughts on what a deacon's responsibility is.  I grew up Southern Baptist and we did not have a group of Elders in our church and the deacons were basically the leaders or decision makers in our church and now in the church that I am at, deacons are not the leaders.  What are your thoughts?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »

Maybe you are a deacon in your church or maybe you have an idea of what a deacon's responsibility is in the church.  I'm curious what your thoughts on what a deacon's responsibility is.  I grew up Southern Baptist and we did not have a group of Elders in our church and the deacons were basically the leaders or decision makers in our church and now in the church that I am at, deacons are not the leaders.  What are your thoughts?

Hello StrikeToWin,

It's nice to hear from you. I don't think there is a good and firm answer on this question since every church is different, even churches in the same denomination. There are formal and informal methods that nearly all churches adopt in one way or another to protect and manage the LORD'S Work at that specific location. It's also true that some churches have "parent-type" structures dictating some procedures and requiring different reporting methods. Many other churches would be independent, but they would still need methods to manage and protect the LORD'S Work at that location in all areas. The major areas would be similar in all churches and basically be Stewardship of the resources that should belong to the LORD. I realize this is a very vague answer, but it would have to be unless you were talking about one specific church.

Broad Areas:

1 - TEACHING what, when, how, and why. This would involve the overall objectives of the church and obviously guarding against false teaching. This broad area would address reaching the lost, teaching various age groups, teaching people with various Bible maturity levels, missions, etc.

2 - FINANCES what, when, how, and why. This would involve the overall strategy of proper Stewardship of every penny being given for the LORD'S Work at that specific location. "Stewardship" is the right term, and we would be talking about managing and caring for things that belong to the LORD - things that are to be used for HIM and HIS Glory. This is another very broad area that needs to be transparent - especially in this day and age. There should be no secrets being kept from the people of the congregation giving offerings. A complete and accurate accounting should be available at all times.

These two broad areas are obviously related because nearly everything is associated with some kind of expense. Anything hidden usually indicates corruption or at least the perception of corruption. There would huge numbers of ways and methods used by various churches, but they would all boil down to proper Stewardship of what belongs to the LORD and how it can be best used to bring honor and Glory to the LORD. Transparent and open HONESTY would have to be part of any appropriate system. The methods adopted should be pleasing to the LORD. I realize this is very vague, but it would have to be unless you want a book. By the way, many churches do have written rules and procedures for appropriate Stewardship.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Favorite Bible Quotes 98 - 2 Timothy 4:1-4 I charge thee therefore
before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and
the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be
instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all
longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will
not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap
to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn
away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:16 PM »

I'm not a deacon now but used to be. A deacon is supposed to be a helper and not one who runs the church and the pastor. Too many deacons seem to think that they are over the pastor. The original deacons were chosen to help and not to lead.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »

The original deacons were chosen to help and not to lead.

Isn't this the position of all people in the church including the pastor? After all it is Jesus Christ that does the leading and we are all to be His servants according to His will for us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

Isn't this the position of all people in the church including the pastor? After all it is Jesus Christ that does the leading and we are all to be His servants according to His will for us.

AMEN PASTOR ROGER!

You have given the ultimate answer.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Christian Quotes 147 -
The soul's hardest lesson
"Not my will, but Your will," is the soul's
hardest lesson; and, when learned, it is
its highest achievement.
 -- John MacDuff  1895

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »

I am a deacon. In our church the deacons are mainly involved in ministry to people in the church. I help keep an handicapped lady's lawn up, fix cars when needed, visit people occasionally (difficult as I work nights), etc.

I am not involved with finances although my name is on the accounts - that is taken care of by the treasurer and financial secretary and is audited yearly by someone outside the church. One of the deaconesses has the checkbook for a small account  that we use in helping ministries.

As webmaster, I do post our annual report on the website so the information on how we use money is available to all.

We have elders who supervise the spiritual aspects of church ministry and work with the pastor.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »

It SHOULD be that way but too often isn't. People get puffed up with pride. In Romans 12:3 we're warned about not thinking more highly of ourselves than we should. My experience is that too many deacons think they run the church, and even have authority over the pastor.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

I agree that sometimes some deacons can get a high attitude.  However it is their church that lets them get that way, if you want my opinion of it.

However a Deacon, like any position in the physical church, is a servant.  A servant of Christ first and foremost and then a servant of the church secondly.  It is the church that elected the Deacon.  And the reason is to help the pastor, and thusly help the church.  In Acts we see the original Deacons function and how they got there.  They were to be called out from amongst the gathering.  They are to help set the table and take care of some of the mudane things that the Apostles were involved in.  The Apostles were doing everything and they knew that it was affecting their ministry.  God did not call the Apostles to wait tables and serve the church in that fashion...He called them to preach and disciple the others.

I have been a Deacon now for about a year.  And I love it.  I love doing all that I can for my church family.  And I look forward to many years of further service.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the