Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Holy Father
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Holy Father  (Read 9680 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2003, 10:48:51 AM »

Title: The Appropriateness of the Title of "Holy Father" Author: Archbishop Jean-Claude Perriset

Description: In this article, Archbishop Perisset explains the unique relationship between God and servant, and why the term "father" is appropriate when referring to priests, and the term "Holy Father" when referring to the Pope. He traces the history of this practice from the beginning to present day with help from sacred scripture.
Categories: Institutions > Papacy

http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=2762

"and why the term "father" is appropriate when referring to priests, and the term "Holy Father" when referring to the Pope."  Huh

Can someone please explain to me why the pope would be referred to as "The Holy Father"?
 Lips Sealed

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 11:46:36 AM »

Because Not everyone calls him “Yo, JP.” Try calling him that... Those Bishops have staffs for a reason Grin As you know, "Father" is a proper title for a priest. The Pope is still a Priest, he doesn’t lose his Priesthood when he becomes a Bishop or the Pope. But, they need a title so people will know they are not just talking about any Priest, but the Pope himself. And bam, another meaningless title is created.

Also, the "Dalia Lama" was already taken Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 02:57:55 PM »

But, they need a title so people will know they are not just talking about any Priest, but the Pope himself

Now see, I'm still confused. You just referred to him and I understood who you were referring to and you didn't use that title.  Wink

Seriously, I do appreciate your taking the time to answer. But when Scripture refers to 'Holy Father'; is it the pope being referenced?  Huh

John 17:11  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 03:05:36 PM »

No, in that case, it would be God the Father being referenced.

But, I understand your question. Why so many names? I have wondered this as well. Never really looked into it, but wondered. If I had to venture a geuss, I would say it is simply because we humans love our titles. But, I'll ask a around, see what I can some up with, and get back to you, ok?

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 05:04:01 PM »

It is all about humbleness and humility and not being puffed up in oneself, ones own knowledge, and ones own way instead of God's. The church at Rome became more imvolved in the ways of the world and the power of the empire and had to have titles that are not God's to suit its purpose.

Matthew 23:1.  Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
 2.  Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
 3.  All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
 4.  For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
 5.  But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
 6.  And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
 7.  And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
 8.  But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
 9.  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
 10.  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
 11.  But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
 12.  And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

These verses could almost be applied to the church at Rome, but especially the one about who is to be called "Father".

Support your local Christian.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 08:44:13 PM »

Yeah, the Order was a good movie, wasn't it, Ollie Roll Eyes

I asked one of the Preist, the only one I could find tonight. He said different names for different times, and they all just added up. You know, over time, someone called him the Pope, then someone said "Holy Father" and it stuck for a time, and so on, and over time, you look back, there are all these different names for the pope.

I'm going to ask some more guys, but that is what I have so far.

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 09:33:23 PM »

Title: The Appropriateness of the Title of "Holy Father" Author: Archbishop Jean-Claude Perriset
Description: In this article, Archbishop Perisset explains the unique relationship between God and servant, and why the term "father" is appropriate when referring to priests, and the term "Holy Father" when referring to the Pope. He traces the history of this practice from the beginning to present day with help from sacred scripture.

Sincereheart:

For those who take the Word of God as the very words of the Lord God Almighty, the appropriation of the titles "father" and "holy father" by Catholic priests and the pope are an abomination forbidden by Christ.  The New Testament clearly teaches the PRIESTHOOD OF ALL BELIEVERS as well as UNACCEPTABILY OF TITLES TO ELEVATE SOME BRETHREN OVER OTHERS.

It is not just "father", and "holy father" that are unacceptable to God, but "doctor" "reverend", "right reverend"  "rabbi",
"master",  "monsigneur", and any other title whatsoever.  The apostles maintained no titles (and saint refers to every believer sanctified by the Holy Spirit).

Christ very specifically says: "But this thou hast, that thou hatest the DEEDS OF THE NICOLAINTANES, which I also hate.... So hast thou also them that hold THE DOCTRINE OF THE NICOLAITANES, WHICH THING I HATE" (Rev. 2:6,15).

This sect is believed to have introduced idolatrous worship into the churches within the apostolic period, and the Church of Rome adopted such idolatry (Mariolatry etc.).  The Nicolaitans are also believed to have introduced the distinction between "clergy" and "laity", and thus arose the high titles of the priests, bishops, and ultimately the pope. Don't expect Roman Catholics to concur.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 11:32:12 PM »

Roll Eyes

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 05:12:29 PM »

No, in that case, it would be God the Father being referenced.

And that would make sense to use the term "Holy Father" then. But as far as the pope goes.... ummmm.... to have a 'title' that is the same as God's seems an awful lot like calling the pope 'God'.

Why so many names?

Or better yet, why any names that are the same as those for God?

But thank you for checking, Tibby. I don't think I'll ever be able to reconcile that one.... Sad

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 05:32:28 PM »

eh, it is just a name. Undecided I'm still waiting for replies, so if they say anything worth the trouble of letting you know, I'll PM you.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 05:46:30 PM »

And that would make sense to use the term "Holy Father" then. But as far as the pope goes.... ummmm.... to have a 'title' that is the same as God's seems an awful lot like calling the pope 'God'.

Yes, and then I guess we'll be told "Well, it may look that way, but that's not really what is happening."

*sigh*

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2003, 05:53:31 PM »

No, you will be told not to box everyone else into your weak Gnostic definitions of the World. Tongue Wink Grin Comprehension of one doesn’t make it fact for all. Smiley

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2003, 06:01:46 PM »

No, you will be told not to box everyone else into your weak Gnostic definitions of the World. Tongue Wink Grin Comprehension of one doesn’t make it fact for all. Smiley

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2003, 07:08:59 PM »

Yeah, the Order was a good movie, wasn't it, Ollie Roll Eyes
Huh  "the order"?? What does a movie have to do with anything?  Huh

I asked one of the Preist, the only one I could find tonight. He said different names for different times, and they all just added up. You know, over time, someone called him the Pope, then someone said "Holy Father" and it stuck for a time, and so on, and over time, you look back, there are all these different names for the pope.
Yes, why is it man must adulterate the way of God and His Christ?

Ephesians 4:11.  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
 12.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
 13.  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
 14.  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
 15.  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Support your local Christian.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 02:24:00 AM »

Nevermind, the Order comment was a sarcastic reply to the comment about the Roman Church and the Roman Empire. To quote another movie charater: Fuget about it Wink

What does that verrse have to do with anything?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the