Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Holy Father
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Holy Father  (Read 9683 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 03:07:58 PM »

Nevermind, the Order comment was a sarcastic reply to the comment about the Roman Church and the Roman Empire. To quote another movie charater: Fuget about it Wink

What does that verrse have to do with anything?
It is the order that christ set in His church.

Take notice there are no priests, no cardinals, no popes, no vatican, no Mary, etc., etc..

Why do people need all these additions to God's word? Isn't Christ and His order of things enough? Why must man place him self above God to think they can make it better than god gives us?  

Support your local Christian.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 03:16:10 PM »

Nevermind, the Order comment was a sarcastic reply to the comment about the Roman Church and the Roman Empire. To quote another movie charater: Fuget about it Wink

Take notice there are no priests, no cardinals, no popes, no vatican, no Mary, etc., etc..

Why do people need all these additions to God's word? Isn't Christ and His order of things enough? Why must man place him self above God to think they can make it better than god gives us?  
Mary isn't in your bible?  You must have quite a few pages missing - I'd take it back and complain if I were you.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 05:36:30 PM »

ebia, You're not behaving today!  Wink

Though I still don't understand calling ANY man a name used in Scripture for God!  Undecided

Dyskolos

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2003, 06:08:02 PM »

Though I still don't understand calling ANY man a name used in Scripture for God!  

How about the thousands of 'Lords' in Britain? Or the thousands of men named 'Jesus' in the Spanish-speaking world?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 06:08:33 PM by Dyskolos » Logged
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2003, 07:43:16 PM »

Quote from: sincereheart on Today at 09:36:30am
Though I still don't understand calling ANY man a name used in Scripture for God!  

How about the thousands of 'Lords' in Britain? Or the thousands of men named 'Jesus' in the Spanish-speaking world?
Or calling your father, father (or papa, daddy, or whatever your cultural version of abba is)?

Or calling your teacher teacher (rabbi)?

etc, etc.

You choose to pick on a couple of examples that are alien to your tradition, but ignore all the examples that are not.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2003, 08:32:19 PM »

You choose to pick on a couple of examples that are alien to your tradition, but ignore all the examples that are not.

I've picked ONE example that I don't understand. And that is because I ran across it on the site of the vatican. And I didn't ask why they would be called 'father' - I questioned why the pope is called 'The Holy Father'. And I picked that ONE example because Scripture says:

John 17:11  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2003, 08:39:09 PM »

I've picked ONE example that I don't understand. And that is because I ran across it on the site of the vatican. And I didn't ask why they would be called 'father' - I questioned why the pope is called 'The Holy Father'. And I picked that ONE example because Scripture says:

John 17:11  And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
OK, so Holy Father is one of the ways we refer to God.  Likewise Father, teacher, Lord, etc, etc.  Yet none of these is reserved exclusively for God, so where is your precedent for reserving "Holy Father" exclusively for God.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2003, 08:50:57 PM »

OK, so Holy Father is one of the ways we refer to God.  Likewise Father, teacher, Lord, etc, etc.  Yet none of these is reserved exclusively for God, so where is your precedent for reserving "Holy Father" exclusively for God.

I dunno, ebia. "Holy" and "Father" together just sound like it's referring to God. So I searched and found that it is when it's in Scripture. And it just seems, well, wrong somehow.  Undecided Following your reasoning, would it then be ok to call the pope "God"? Or is that one that IS reserved exclusively for God? Or maybe the question is: Which names for God are okay to use on man?

Kinda like the "Jesus" name. Yes, there are those with the name in the Spanish-speaking world and there was another "Jesus" in Scripture. But only ONE "Jesus Christ"...

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2003, 09:32:46 PM »

I dunno, ebia. "Holy" and "Father" together just sound like it's referring to God. So I searched and found that it is when it's in Scripture. And it just seems, well, wrong somehow.  Undecided
Its just a question of what you are used to.  I'm pretty uncomfortable with many of the protestant 'job titles' and phrases, but not for any good reason - its just what I'm used to, and what I understand by those phrases.

Following your reasoning, would it then be ok to call the pope "God"?

No, because that is a word we do reserve exclusively for God.   If we used toe word "god" for the pope, we would be intending to imply that he is God, or we would be redefining the word.   If a group of people understood the word "God" to mean something different than the currently accepted English usage, then that would be a different matter.  Ultimately, when push comes to shove, words are just that - labels we give to things.  Sometimes different groups of people use the labels in different ways.  It's what's meant by them that matters.  When people who are not part of a discourse community come along, if they don't take the trouble to understand how language is used within that discourse community, they are going to misunderstand a lot of things.

Or is that one that IS reserved exclusively for God? Or maybe the question is: Which names for God are okay to use on man?
That would depend on what you meant by the name, and how your intended audience were going to understand it.  I can't invisage a context in which god would be an acceptable or reasonable title to apply to someone, because I can't imagine a context in which it would not imply that the recipient was divine.

Kinda like the "Jesus" name. Yes, there are those with the name in the Spanish-speaking world and there was another "Jesus" in Scripture. But only ONE "Jesus Christ"...
It's a good analogy, I think.  I'd feel pretty uncomfortable naming my son Jesus, but what's actually wrong with it?  Those who do call their children Jesus aren't implying that their children are Jesus Christ, or putting them on a par with Christ, they are just naming their son after the most important person ever to have lived, which is pretty reasonable thing to do.   It's really just a question of what you are used to, and what you mean by it.

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003, 10:22:55 PM »

Mary isn't in your bible?  You must have quite a few pages missing - I'd take it back and complain if I were you.
"Mary isn't in your bible?"
Get real! Of course Mary is in my Bible and you know it. You must not read well.

Go back and reread my reply and know that I am refering to the order Christ set in His church and Mary was not part of it. Mary is only refered to in the Bible as the mother of Jesus.

I ask another question:

Why do people defend false teachings? Why can't they just accept the simple truth of God , His Christ, and His plan of redeeming them back to Him?

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 10:44:30 PM »

Get real! Of course Mary is in my Bible and you know it. You must not read well.
I suggest you learn to spot sarcasm when you see it.

Go back and reread my reply and know that I am refering to the order Christ set in His church and Mary was not part of it. Mary is only refered to in the Bible as the mother of Jesus.

Roll Eyes  Possibly the most important thing any person has ever been called to do, and you describe it as "only". Cry

I ask another question:

Why do people defend false teachings? Why can't they just accept the simple truth of God , His Christ, and His plan of redeeming them back to Him?

If they agreed that they were false teachings, then they wouldn't defend them.

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 10:58:03 PM »

I suggest you learn to spot sarcasm when you see it.

Roll Eyes  Possibly the most important thing any person has ever been called to do, and you describe it as "only". Cry

I ask another question:

If they agreed that they were false teachings, then they wouldn't defend them.
SIGH!

"Possibly the most important thing any person has ever been called to do, and you describe it as "only".
'

"ONLY" as in one and only. This is how Mary is refered to in the Bible. It is the "ONLY" way she is identified.
The most important thing any one has been called to do is lay down His life and shed His blood for the sins of the people of the world.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 11:06:16 PM by ollie » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 11:04:09 PM »

Matthew 23:9.  And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Not a precedent for "Holy Father", but father period.
The Holy is an infered given.
Why does Rome title their priests, the pope, etc. "father" when God's word says no?

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2003, 11:05:40 PM »

SIGH!

"Possibly the most important thing any person has ever been called to do, and you describe it as "only".
'

"ONLY" as in one and only. This how Mary is refered to in the Bible. It is the "ONLY" way she is identified.
That's debatable, but even within that, she is given honour for that role.

The most important thing any one has been called to do is lay down His life and shed His blood for the sins of the people of the world.
Typing "... any person except God ..." get's tedious.  I thought you'd have the sense to realise that was implied, but I guess that if people had the sense to realise the implicit meaning instead of jumping to conclusions, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2003, 11:10:42 PM »

Not a precedent for "Holy Father", but father period.
The Holy is an infered given.
Why does Rome title their priests, the pope, etc. "father" when God's word says no?

What do you call your dad?

I take it you don't call anyone a teacher either?

To take those verses literally is absurd, if not impossible.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the