Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:34:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Your Only Qualification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Only Qualification  (Read 1566 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »

Your Only Qualification
A Word to the Unsaved
By Cornelius R. Stam

“Fools make a mock at sin.”  — Proverbs 14:9

Increasing thousands all about us are throwing moral restraint to the wind “to enjoy the pleasures of sin.” Loose living is one of the characteristics of the age. Those who dare to go farthest are considered the most daring. They “make a mock at sin.”

As we look about us today we must bow our heads in shame and acknowledge that God’s indictment against humanity is true.

“And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not becoming; “Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, malignity; whisperers, “Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, “Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: “Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them” (Romans 1:28-32).

What reckless folly! They know the judgment of God awaits them, yet they will not face it. They try to “laugh it off.”

And what about you, unsaved friend? How do you stand before God? You say you are not nearly so bad as those whose sins are listed above? We too once argued that we were as good as many and far better than some, but while it is true that there are differences in the character and the degree of men’s sins, there is surely no difference in this, that “ALL HAVE SINNED and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).

This means that all of us — you too — must either trust in Christ as Savior, or stand some day to bear the judgment for sin ourselves. There you have the simple truth as God’s Word gives it to us, and our consciences bear witness that the proposition is more than just — it is infinitely gracious and kind.

In the Bible we have preserved for us letters which were written almost 2,000 years ago by the Apostle Paul to Timothy and Titus, two young pastors whom he had stationed at Ephesus and Crete.

In these letters he passes on to his two sons in the faith a number of “faithful sayings;” truths important enough to justify frequent repetition. The very first of these is perhaps the principal one of all, at least it is of primary importance. Unless we heed it there is no point in even troubling ourselves about the others. It is found in the first chapter of his first letter to Timothy:

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief” (I Timothy 1:15).

It is strange that such a simple and blessed truth should have needed such constant emphasis, but it did and it still does today.

There are some who try to make themselves and others believe that they are not sinners. What they need to know is that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners,” not the righteous, but SINNERS. What need have “good” people of a Savior? How can He help those who do not feel they need His help?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »

Your Only Qualification
A Word to the Unsaved
By Cornelius R. Stam

On the other hand, however, there are many people who hesitate to come to Christ for salvation because they feel they are not worthy. They feel that they must first learn to live better lives. They turn over new leaves; they make frequent resolutions to do better; they promise themselves they will take their religion more seriously — all because they feel they are unworthy to come to Him as they are.

To such this “faithful saying” comes with equal force. Whom did Christ Jesus come into the world to save? Sinners! Sinners! SINNERS! Do you feel you are a sinner? Then Christ Jesus came into the world specially to save you. Do not try to better yourself first, for you will never succeed. Sinners need a Savior. And how can He save you from your sins if you do not come to Him with your sins, as you are?

It is remarkable that this passage was penned by the chief of sinners. When, according to prophecy, Jew had joined Gentile in rebellion against God and His Christ, it was Saul of Tarsus (or called Paul) who led the world rebellion.

“But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound” (Romans 5:20).

In the greatest demonstration of love and grace this world has ever seen, outside the Cross itself, God reached down and saved Saul, the blasphemer and persecutor, appointing him to go forth with the gospel of the grace of God, the glorious message that anyone anywhere may find salvation full and free by grace through faith in Christ alone.

God saved the chief of sinners so that you, sinner friend, might know that He is willing and ready to save you, for Paul, by the Spirit, explains in this same passage of I Timothy:

“Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy that in me first Jesus Christ might show forth all long-suffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on Him to life everlasting” (I Timothy 1:16).

Will you learn the great lesson God is trying to teach this sin-cursed world?

Not everyone is qualified to take a place in a college football team. Not everyone can join the Army or the Navy. There are certain qualifications which must be met. Even in seeking employment, education and experience make a great deal of difference. But our only qualification for salvation is our need — our sin. It is the only qualification that must be met. It is the only one we can meet.

CHRIST DIED FOR
OUR SINS

Sin was no joke to Him. He knew its horrible results. He knew too the dreadful penalty which justice must visit upon it. Yes, and He also knew that “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). Yet He left the glories of heaven and stooped to bear the guilt of a sin-cursed world Himself! Yes, “Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God” (I Peter 3:18).

As the cruel, wicked wretches drove nails through His blessed hands and feet they emphasized two of the greatest facts men can ever learn — the unspeakable wickedness of which the human heart is capable and the infinite love of God, for “He bare our sins in His own body on the tree.”

This infinite grace has touched the hearts of millions. It accomplished what the law could never do, for these millions now seek to please Him, not from fear, but from sheer gratitude and love. As the Apostle John puts it, “We love Him because He first loved us” (I John 4:19).

Friend, do you feel you are a sinner? Good! That is the first step toward heaven, for — listen once more — “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.”

God loves you. Christ died for you. “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.”

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (I Corinthians 15:3,4).

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »

“Fools make a mock at sin.”  — Proverbs 14:9

I wonder if these words have ever had more truth than they do today.

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:53:13 AM »

I wonder if these words have ever had more truth than they do today.

Sister,

We are seeing examples of this every day now that are outrageous beyond belief. To say that it's shocking would be an understatement.

However, if these are the End Days of this Age of Grace, we will see much worse before JESUS comes to take us HOME!

Love in Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the