Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Prayer and despair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer and despair  (Read 2664 times)
Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2003, 02:49:13 PM »

Boy, do I need help with prayer! I am a life-long Christian and pray each morning and night - and sometimes during the day - but I can't get near to God or Jesus. I have never felt close communion with Him, and despite fervent prayer for another person, I have never received an answer. I don't mean the answer I wanted - I mean any answer at all. It seems lilke I'm just sending thoughts into empty space, and I often wonder if I'm wasting my time. That's probably Satan getting into my head, but he leaves a powerful message.
Any suggestions would be welcome
countrycat

Too Blessed to be stressed! :~)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:33:41 PM »

Well, I have found abundant joy, joy to tears, just talking to Him! I sit outside and watch the sunset, and just talk....as if He were sitting near me, listening! I feel Him in the glory of the colors of evening! You must give HIM your full attention, in solitude and humbleness. His voice is soft, and you must be still to hear. He does not wish to compete with Jay Leno or the superbowl! I don't feel there is a special "formula" for prayer...just lean on Him, and cherish Him as your father and friend!

Cathe

countrycat, gittin' back to basics!!!
Reba
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 04:30:04 PM »

Boy, do I need help with prayer! I am a life-long Christian and pray each morning and night - and sometimes during the day - but I can't get near to God or Jesus. I have never felt close communion with Him, and despite fervent prayer for another person, I have never received an answer. I don't mean the answer I wanted - I mean any answer at all. It seems lilke I'm just sending thoughts into empty space, and I often wonder if I'm wasting my time. That's probably Satan getting into my head, but he leaves a powerful message.

Prov 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
KJV

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
KJV

Our feelings often  betray us. How wonderfull to have His Word.  HE never fails. HE does not lie.

Ps 37:5
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
KJV

Ps 18:2-3

2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
KJV

Ps 17:7-8

7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.

8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
KJV

Ps 34:17-18

17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
KJV

Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 03:44:28 PM »

My thanks to both of you who have tried to help me in prayer. I take on board all that you have written and will continue to reach a closer comapnionship with my God.
Thanks again, and may God go with you both.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »

It could be that God is testing your faith. But since you say you have never felt close communion, we would need to ascertain the cause. May I ask a few questions?

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 06:22:12 PM »

Do you have any unrepented sin?

That will distance us from the Almighty quicker than anything.

(similar to disobeying a traffic cop--hehe,  Undecided).
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 04:32:18 PM »

Well, I have found abundant joy, joy to tears, just talking to Him! I sit outside and watch the sunset, and just talk....as if He were sitting near me, listening! I feel Him in the glory of the colors of evening! You must give HIM your full attention, in solitude and humbleness. His voice is soft, and you must be still to hear. He does not wish to compete with Jay Leno or the superbowl! I don't feel there is a special "formula" for prayer...just lean on Him, and cherish Him as your father and friend!

Cathe

A wonderful post full of encouragement, admonishment, and beauty.

Support your local Christian.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 04:42:17 PM »

Perhaps your discerment of communnion with the Lord is not true. You probably have much to give thanks for to the Lord. Try starting here and then perhaps you could help answer a less fortunate person's prayers by seeing to their needs and forgetting any you may have. We all have gifts that we can share with those that may not have.

Sometime prayers are answered for one another through the actions of others. Pray on this and see if your help is needed somewhere and give it in the Lord's name.

You are in my prayers.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 04:46:06 PM by ollie » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 04:44:45 PM »

Prov 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
KJV

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
KJV

Our feelings often  betray us. How wonderfull to have His Word.  HE never fails. HE does not lie.

Ps 37:5
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
KJV

Ps 18:2-3

2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
KJV

Ps 17:7-8

7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.

8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,
KJV

Ps 34:17-18

17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
KJV

This post will help. It was good for me and uplifting. So "Griff" should benefit, I pray.

Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 01:43:26 PM »

Thanks to all once again. It's great to find so many people willing to help. And I've found some od the replies most helpful.
"Do I have any unrepented sin?" Well, I've repented in prayer of all the sins I know off - but they are just words. It's not now possible to repent and put things right. And I suppose there are other unrepented sins - don't we all have them - unless we're Saints?
Thanking the Lord for His gifts I have done many times. But right now his gifts seem more like penances! That's my life at this moment.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2003, 12:22:46 AM »

Oh, well that might be the key. The penance part. Grace is a free gift. We cannot be saved by works, and repentance only comes through faith.

Without knowing more about your background, that may be of some use.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 12:23:36 AM »

And I suppose there are other unrepented sins - don't we all have them - unless we're Saints?

Um, unrepented sins, Griff?

Just sins, yes.  We all have sins.

But unrepented sins?

If you have those, then there's your problemo.   Grin

Huh
Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2003, 02:25:44 PM »

Sorry, I see this differently. Sometimes we commit sins and forget about them  Maybe they happened years ago - even before we began to study Christianity. Then we can't repent.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 07:55:04 AM »

Thanks to all once again. It's great to find so many people willing to help. And I've found some od the replies most helpful.
"Do I have any unrepented sin?" Well, I've repented in prayer of all the sins I know off - but they are just words. It's not now possible to repent and put things right. And I suppose there are other unrepented sins - don't we all have them - unless we're Saints?
Thanking the Lord for His gifts I have done many times. But right now his gifts seem more like penances! That's my life at this moment.
". And I suppose there are other unrepented sins - don't we all have them - unless we're Saints?"

Christians are saints called by the gospel of Jesus Christ to be holy and sanctified in Christ. They are washed clean in the blood of Jesus Christ which continues to free them from sin if there is repentance and forgiveness of God is asked.

1 John 1:7.  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
 8.  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
 9.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
 10.  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 08:09:03 AM by ollie » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 08:03:38 AM »

Sorry, I see this differently. Sometimes we commit sins and forget about them  Maybe they happened years ago - even before we began to study Christianity. Then we can't repent.
These are the sins repented of when one comes to Jesus Christ.

You make Christ and what he did for man to no avail with this statement.

All sins can be repented of except one, blasphemy against  the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 12:31.  Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the