Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:16:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Prayer and despair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer and despair  (Read 2663 times)
Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 02:05:37 PM »

Let me relate a fictional story. It's about a fellow - we'll call him Joe - who was christened when a few weeks old. As a schoolboy he joined the local church choir, but in his free time he was just a kid. He nicked the odd bar of chocolate from the store, and when he was a student he "borrowed" one or two textbooks from the library, and forgot to return them. He graduated, married, had a couple of children and then, persuaded by his wife, started again to go regularly to church. He became a religious man and prayed regularly, But he completely forgot about his childhood stealing.  Would these early sins be forgiven? He never repented of them.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 10:46:34 PM »

Let me relate a fictional story. It's about a fellow - we'll call him Joe - who was christened when a few weeks old. As a schoolboy he joined the local church choir, but in his free time he was just a kid. He nicked the odd bar of chocolate from the store, and when he was a student he "borrowed" one or two textbooks from the library, and forgot to return them. He graduated, married, had a couple of children and then, persuaded by his wife, started again to go regularly to church. He became a religious man and prayed regularly, But he completely forgot about his childhood stealing.  Would these early sins be forgiven? He never repented of them.
Then they are not forgiven and he is not saved. One repents of all past sins known or forgotten when one initially comes to Christ. It is a primary point of God's salvation plan.

Support your local Christian.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 11:13:13 PM »

To repent means to turn away from something. So if someone isn't doing it anymore they've repented. Confession is important, too, though. Sometimes God brings it to mind later. But if we tell Him right away it's better.

Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2003, 01:47:09 PM »

Thank you, Ollie and Whitehorse. Now you see my dilemma. One thinks the man would be saved and the other thinks he would not.
It seems to come down entirely to a matter of faith.
I feel that in my own life there are sins that have been forgotten, and I would like to think that although unremembered, they will be forgiven.
Thank you to all who have contributed to this discussion. They have helped me to clarify my own feelings, but have left a degree of mystification.
Who knows - I may be back some time with another contribution.
Thank you all again, and God bless each and every one.
(And a Happy New Year)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »

Well, I have found abundant joy, joy to tears, just talking to Him! I sit outside and watch the sunset, and just talk....as if He were sitting near me, listening! I feel Him in the glory of the colors of evening! You must give HIM your full attention, in solitude and humbleness. His voice is soft, and you must be still to hear. He does not wish to compete with Jay Leno or the superbowl! I don't feel there is a special "formula" for prayer...just lean on Him, and cherish Him as your father and friend!

Cathe

A wonderful post full of encouragement, admonishment, and beauty.
Amen, Ollie! Thank you, Cathe!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 02:27:20 PM »

Some of you sound like Job's comforters.  LOL
Job too had a problem with Satan but his friends didn't think so and they told him in no uncertain terms.  What we need here is an Eliphaz the Temanite.

Griff has a problem with God hearing / answering his prayers.

Job 15:1-8  Then answered Eliphaz the Temanite, and said,
 2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?
 3 Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good?
 4 Yea, thou castest off fear, and restrainest prayer before God.
 5 For thy mouth uttereth thine iniquity, and thou choosest the tongue of the crafty.
 6 Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I: yea, thine own lips testify against thee.
 7 Art thou the first man that was born? or wast thou made before the hills?
 8 Hast thou heard the secret of God? and dost thou restrain wisdom to thyself?

Well Griff ought to try praise.  Not half hearted praise but from the heart.  Praise the Lord : praise his name.

Ps 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.
 Ps 9:14 That I may shew forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation.
 Ps 21:13 Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power.
 Ps 22:22  I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
 Ps 22:23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
etc.

Praise the Lord, Griff.  I did and he saved me.  Praise his name.
Praise is the secret !

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 02:42:14 PM »

OK – how about when one commits sin that they are unaware of?  (You KNOW it happens!)  Sins such as unrighteous pride, or EGO (Edging God Out).  I know I have to be guilty, even though sometimes I don’t recognize the sin.
Is it OK if, during my morning and evening prayers, I ask Jesus to “forgive my sins – even those I haven’t realized”?  
Of course I generally ask Him to help me see clearly when I do transgress – but I still don’t believe we always see some sins in ourselves.
 Huh

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Griff

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 03:11:08 PM »

I symphathise entirely with Judge Not.  Part of my problem too.
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »

Oh okay Griff.  Physician heal thyself.  Smiley

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
swaltman

pastor Steve

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

D L Moody said - he tried to pray for faith but it did not come, after he opened the Word it never stopped coming.

Open the Word.   Some have suggested praying a Psalm.

God Bless
brownlamb

this may be the day!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »

I know this post is very late but I just got here! Grin

I don't know you or your feelings Griff but here is my thought:

Faith = A whole lot of BLIND faith.
To Be Forgiven you must ask for it and recieve it.

When I first began to contemplate GOD'S forgiveness it was too hard. It made me not want to have the relationship with GOD that I needed, because it was confusing and scary.

So right on the edge of giving up, I decided to just believe that I am forgiven for anything I genuinly ask forgiveness for (as long as I am still here to ask) and to believe that GOD answers my prayers, if they need answering (keep in mind, usually what we think we need turns out to only be what we want)and just see how it goes.

Time went by (slowly, because blind faith is well, its hard!) (in the beginning) and then one day I suddenly remembered a prayer from around age 6 or 7....where I asked GOD to please let me have a husband that loves me with all of his heart and a baby to love me forever. HELLO!!!!  I have exactly that!

Now from the age of 6 or 7, when I desperately wanted these things, until I figured out I had them (20 years) I thought so many times that GOD doesn't or won't answer my prayers. So many BAD things happened to me in that time. And I had men in my life (at different times Grin)that I desperately wanted to be GODS answer for me, but they would only hurt me. But here I am with an answered prayer(that I had forgotten about) that I see everyday!

I've rambled enough...... final thoughts...... Our idea of when or if our prayers should be answered isnt right. GOD knows when to give you what you need. And GOD forgives when you truly mean you are sorry(and he knows when you mean it).

And as for sins you may have forgotten try.......   GOD, I have sinned, I am a sinner and I don't want to be. Forgive me of my sins LORD and guide me to you. In Jesus' Name   Amen

i hope this helps griff..........We are all sinners and GOD loves us all!

May GOD Bless YOU!!!!!!        

P.S. I'm so sorry I wrote so much...I just saw how long this is!

If I Learn Today What I Didn't Yesterday, Will It Help Tommorow?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2004, 12:40:27 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to BrownLamb,

AMEN SISTER!

You made many excellent and Biblical points about prayer and our personal relationship with our Father and Saviour. Child-like faith in our Father who is ALL and can do ALL according to HIS will and purpose is a beautiful thing. Child-like faith can also help us to wait on THE LORD with patience, seek HIS will, and simply yield like an obedient child. Our child-like faith can also give us joy and thanksgiving when we start to realize the blessings and riches in Christ HE has freely given us.

Love In Christ,
Tom

brownlamb

this may be the day!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2004, 11:10:57 AM »

Blackeyedpeas your the bees knees!
 (please ignore the nerd like display) Roll Eyes

I am so thankful for my early belief, it has carried me through the years. Even when I forgot HIM when I was led astray as a teen.......HE never forgot me!! Glory to HIM!!!!!! HE is Amazing!

May GOD Bless You!!

If I Learn Today What I Didn't Yesterday, Will It Help Tommorow?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the