Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:37:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why Churches are Declining in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Churches are Declining in America  (Read 12058 times)
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080115/30855_Cultural_Architect%3A__Why_Churches_are_Declining_in_America.htm

A cutting-edge church leader known for his innovative ideas on reaching a post-modern generation for Christ contends the reason why churches are declining in America is because they are self-centered.

How is your church doing?

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Rhys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

My church, the Christian and Missionary Alliance, is still growing. In the US it went from  1785 churches with 244,296 members in 1990 to 2010 churches with 417,000 members in 2006. Worldwide it went from 32,000 members in 444 churches in 1945 to about 3,500,000 members in more than 20,000 churches in 2006.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »

Actually I disagree with the article. Large growth does not always mean that the church is doing that which is right. Many of the mega-churches involved in the article are apt to "improve their ability to communicate the Gospel" by actually teaching another gospel, "they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears".

2Ti 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I would much rather be in a church that is small, doing the Lord's work, and teaching the true Gospel of Jesus Christ than to be in a mega-church that is bowing to the selfish, sinful desires of people.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »

Hello Brother Rhys,

I think these are the last days of this Age of Grace, and Bible Prophecy tells us how many things will be. I don't know anything about your church, but I do know of many bad things happening in large churches. However, I firmly believe that each church must stand on its own merits, regardless of size.

There are many general things that are happening around the world, including this part of the world. These general things resemble the specifics of Bible Prophecy. There is definitely a turning away from GOD, and the "Itching ear" problem is very real. GENERALLY, many people do go to church for the wrong reasons. GENERALLY, people don't want to be told they are doing anything wrong. GENERALLY, people want to be entertained and don't want to sit under the sound doctrine of GOD'S WORD.

Brother, please remember that I don't know anything about your church and my statements were general. If these are the End Days of this Age of Grace, the Holy Bible tells us that things will get much worse. I honestly think we are watching the formation of global religions right now, and they will be further and further away from GOD. We already see "Health, Wealth, and Prosperity" type teachings and other teachings that are more related to man (Humanism) than GOD. AND, we already see political correctness as almost a higher priority than GOD in many churches. Political correctness basically teaches stay in your sin and be happy. I would simply say that this is a lost and dying world that desperately needs the full-strength Gospel of the Grace of GOD. The Gospel of the Grace of GOD is still the most powerful message in the world, and this is what the world needs.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 NASB  For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Rhys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »

Actually I disagree with the article. Large growth does not always mean that the church is doing that which is right. Many of the mega-churches involved in the article are apt to "improve their ability to communicate the Gospel" by actually teaching another gospel, "they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears".

While true, this wasn't what the article was about as far as I can see. It was about the declining numbers of people attending church generally and is in the context of recent surveys showing young people turning away from the church.

I would much rather be in a church that is small, doing the Lord's work, and teaching the true Gospel of Jesus Christ than to be in a mega-church that is bowing to the selfish, sinful desires of people.

A mega church in decline will become a small church. A small church in decline will become a former church. I prefer small churches myself, but a small church that is doing the Lord's work and teaching the true gospel should be a growing church.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »

While the overall subject of the article is about declining churches it is also about certain churches that "is known for breaking the “rules” of traditional church and applying spiritual creativity to engage and develop the next generation of Christian leaders". More or less bragging (the author not the pastor) on how that pastors church is growing while others are declining. I have visited one of the churches mentioned in the article in the past. It is about 2 and half to three hours from me. They have a rock concert on Sundays (no sermon) for 'non-believers' designed to bring in those that don't like to feel guilty when they leave the church after a sermon. Then the mid-week services hold a ‘Sacrament of Communion’ because of the many catholic members. It is operated like many mega churches that serve to the humanist desires.

I think that Brother Tom gave an excellent assessment on why churches are declining today and not the reasons given in the article nor does the article give the proper solution to the problem.

but a small church that is doing the Lord's work and teaching the true gospel should be a growing church.

In this day and age this is not necessarily true as too many people are rejecting the true Gospel no matter how it is presented.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rhys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

I put this post up on a couple of forums and I am rather surprised that prayer (or the lack of it) never came up as an issue. After all, the Bible says: "Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it".

Personally, I believe my own church is growing because we put a lot of emphasis on prayer. Probably about 1/3 of our Sunday service is prayer, and weeknight prayer meeting is fairly well attended (though I can't go anymore because I work nights).

I remember one church I attended years ago where we made a commitment to pray that the Lord would send in one new couple a month. Nothing else was done differently to bring people in, but after a few months we had to stop praying because we couldn't disciple all the new people.Unfortunately they never did get things organized to disciple better and start praying again!

If a church is declining I would look first at its prayer life. How many churches even have a midweek prayer meeting anymore? In those that do, most of it is music and Bible study rather than actual prayer. How much does the church emphasize prayer?  How much time do individual members spend praying away from church?

I believe most of our problems have to do with using business oriented growth programs and trying to do things ourselves our way rather than depending on the Lord.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »

Now that is something that I can also agree with.

A right prayer life is a major part of the life of not only a church but of the individuals themselves. Without a right prayer life there is little growth because there is not the relationship with Christ that we should have.

1Th 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

Perhaps instead of ceasing to pray for church growth there should have been additional prayers for proper discipleship for them?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

I would like to add another thought to this. Prayer is of the utmost importance. Prayer for guidance as well as the other things already mentioned here. However prayer is not the only thing of importance. There is a term the Military uses, "TACAMO". It mean "Take Action And Move Out". It was originally designed for a reliable communications system in the event of nuclear warfare. Like many terms it eventually gained a dual meaning. It was used to indicate the need to not sit back and let others do everything for you. In this aspect we, as Christians, need to TACAMO. We do need to rely on God's guidance but we should not just sit back and expect Him or anyone else to do everything. He has given us all gifts of some sort or another for the purpose of doing His work. We need to implement those gifts, with His guidance, in order to do His work. When we run into problems we should not just give up and stop. We should give it to God in prayer and then TACAMO as He leads us, not just sit on our laurels warming a pew.

There is a large amount of sin in our world today. Many Christians will agree to this and are heard complaining about it. Yet they do nothing to attempt to change that. If they pray about it at all then that is all that they do, with drawing into the walls of their churches or homes, letting it continue on. There should be prayer without ceasing. There should also be action taken. Witnessing to the lost, being active in any other manner that we can, to at least attempt to make changes. In any war there are multiple fronts. A war cannot be fought and won just by fighting it on one front alone. It must be done on all fronts. It cannot be argued that we are in fact in a war. Not a war of this world only but a war between good and evil and there are many casualties heading to an eternity of pain and suffering, eternal death.

StrikeToWin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »

As a new poster to this forum, I have not yet got a feel for everything here but like what I have seen so far.  I am currently attending a church with approximately 250 in regular attendance.  The church has recently gone through a rift and lost members and was in turmoil for a while.  In contrast, I came from a church that was down to about 90 members on a good Sunday.  The problem was both churches have let those with the money and the large tithe check determine the direction of the church rather than allowing God to guide them.  The church I am at now hired a senior minister that has put a stop to politics and is fighting the clicks that inevitably form within a church membership.  It has been very refreshing to see a church that is not dependant on the financial aspects of everything and instead trusts that God will provide.   

That being said, I think that when a church is so driven by money and they start allowing those with the biggest wallet to start dictating how that money should be sent, then you are just asking to alienate members and make those that are not as well off to feel less important in the church.  This is a dangerous attitude for a church to have.  As for the megachurches, most merely preach a health, wealth and prosperity message and make people feel good about themselves.  I don't see how that can be a healthy message if you think that just because you are a Christian that your life will be a bed of roses and all things will be easy as long as you attend a certain church or adhere to the teachings of a man which I think is what a lot of megachurch members do. (Of course most of my experience with the megachurches is what I see on TV and read about).  Hopefully this made sense, it's kind of tough to write while at work and getting interruptions.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »

Hello and WELCOME!

Money is the root of much evil, so what you said makes perfect sense to me. I certainly don't think that the status of a church or a person going to that church should be based on money.

All people should feel most welcome to come and hear the Gospel of the Grace of GOD, regardless of whether they have money to put in the offering plate or even to buy shoes. What the LORD cares about is bringing people to HIM, Loving HIM, and serving HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

Hello and welcome to Christians Unite forums.

This makes sense to me also. It is the downfall of many churches and has been for many years.

Def

My Father, it is me your daughter, in Jesus.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »

As a new poster to this forum, I have not yet got a feel for everything here but like what I have seen so far.  I am currently attending a church with approximately 250 in regular attendance.  The church has recently gone through a rift and lost members and was in turmoil for a while.  In contrast, I came from a church that was down to about 90 members on a good Sunday.  The problem was both churches have let those with the money and the large tithe check determine the direction of the church rather than allowing God to guide them.  The church I am at now hired a senior minister that has put a stop to politics and is fighting the clicks that inevitably form within a church membership.  It has been very refreshing to see a church that is not dependant on the financial aspects of everything and instead trusts that God will provide.  

That being said, I think that when a church is so driven by money and they start allowing those with the biggest wallet to start dictating how that money should be sent, then you are just asking to alienate members and make those that are not as well off to feel less important in the church.  This is a dangerous attitude for a church to have.  As for the megachurches, most merely preach a health, wealth and prosperity message and make people feel good about themselves.  I don't see how that can be a healthy message if you think that just because you are a Christian that your life will be a bed of roses and all things will be easy as long as you attend a certain church or adhere to the teachings of a man which I think is what a lot of megachurch members do. (Of course most of my experience with the megachurches is what I see on TV and read about).  Hopefully this made sense, it's kind of tough to write while at work and getting interruptions.

Welcome StrikeToWin in the name of Jesus the only name in heaven and earth
To Srike and WIN.Love in His name .Def

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

Hello StrikeToWin, welcome to Christians Unite forum.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:38:06 PM »

Hello Strike to win..welcome to the forum..

The church is not declining for we are the church..each one who bears the name of Christ is part of the body..I was thinking today of Gideon..do you know he had too many for the Lord used few and the Lord is using few today in the power of His might..Buildings will fall..but the word of God that dwells in us stands true..We are not a group of passive people but people with zeal..and covered by the blood of Jesus that gives us authority we take for granted..Do not look at how big the church is..Look at how you stand before ther Lord and what you do to glorify Him..
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the