Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Prescription Shop
| | |-+  Self-control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Self-control  (Read 3274 times)
phillip

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »

Philippians 4:5 says, "Let your moderation be known unto all men.  The Lord is at hand."

Moderation in the Scripture means self-control or self-discipline.  Many problems in our society such as adultery, fornication, drug abuse, alcoholism, nicotine addiction, etc., are caused by a lack of self-control in the lives of individuals.  Galatians 5:23 says one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit in our lives is temperance or self-discipline.  If we have rule over our own spirits and lives, we will have the fruit of self-control in our lives.

Cool Cool
Beloved

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:35:30 AM »

Philippians 4:5 says, "Let your moderation be known unto all men.  The Lord is at hand."

Moderation in the Scripture means self-control or self-discipline.  Many problems in our society such as adultery, fornication, drug abuse, alcoholism, nicotine addiction, etc., are caused by a lack of self-control in the lives of individuals.  Galatians 5:23 says one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit in our lives is temperance or self-discipline.  If we have rule over our own spirits and lives, we will have the fruit of self-control in our lives.

Cool Cool

I won't dispute the word of God which you have posted, yet I wonder if the issues you addressed such as adultery, fornication, drug abuse, addiction is a matter of self control alone?   Do you feel you could add to this in how one would apply that to their lives while facing such struggles.  I ask because I have some addictions and it's been very difficult for me.

Blessings.

2Corinthians 4:7(KJV)

7But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »

Beloved:

Addictions to various sins such as alcoholism, gambling, drugs, sex, eating, etc., can only be overcome by the filling of the Holy Spirit as we allow Him to control our lives moment by moment.  Jesus Christ has helped me overcome anxiety and depression, but I still fall short many times.  Get the book by Tim LaHaye called The Spirit-Controlled Temperament as it deals with the various personalities which the Spirit of God can give us victory over.  I am shy by nature, but yet I have to teach school and that requires me to come out of my shell of shyness.  I will pray for you beloved and also pray for me.  Look up Galatians 5:22-25 and get a good commentary and Greek lexicon and God will give you spiritual insight.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the