Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Who wants to militarize space?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who wants to militarize space?  (Read 3074 times)
Littleboy

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:51:27 AM »

Who wants to militarize space?Posted by Tim Johnson

Thu Nov 1, 10:00 PM ET

Since China showed its increasing space capabilities in January by using a ground-based missile to blast an aged weather satellite out of the sky, a parade of U.S. military officials have come to Beijing to express concern. They ask, “What are China’s intentions? Why is its military not more transparent about what it does?”

Typical were the comments of Marine General Peter Pace, who came in March while he still served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff:

“It wasn’t clear what their intent (with the test) was. When the intent isn’t clear, and when there are surprises and you confuse people, you raise suspicions. I think that is one area where we can work harder between the two militaries to make sure . . . we tell each other what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, how we’re doing it (and) what our intents are, so that it is clear.”

Just 10 days ago, a senior U.S. military officer charged with protecting U.S. space assets said the Chinese anti-satellite test heightened urgency to make improvements in the U.S. program.

“We’re very much in the discussion phases of how we’d respond to a variety of threats to our space systems,” said Maj. Gen. William Shelton, the head of the joint functional command for space, during a stop in Japan. “It’s a work in progress … (but) the Chinese ASAT test put us on a much more rapid path than before.”

I’m sure Defense Secretary Robert Gates may ask questions about the ASAT test as well when he comes to Beijing for two days, beginning Sunday.

So it might come as of some interest to note what occurred at the U.N. this week.

The United States was the only country out of 172 to vote against a resolution opposing the militarization of space on Oct. 29. Here is a U.N. description:

“Turning to the prevention of an arms race in outer space, the Committee approved a draft resolution that would have the Assembly call upon all States, in particular those with major space capabilities, to contribute actively to the objective of the peaceful use of outer space and of the prevention of an arms race in outer space and to refrain from actions contrary to that objective and to the relevant existing treaties in the interest of maintaining international peace and security and promoting international cooperation.  It was approved by a recorded vote of 170 in favor to 1 against (United States), with 1 abstention ( Israel).”

As the China Matters blog notes, even key U.S. allies like Britain, Australia and Japan wouldn’t “hold their noses” and vote with Washington on this one.

So who is it, again, who is responsible for the militarization of space? Surely, the Chinese military brass must have some questions about that.

It seems to be another example of U.S. “exceptionalism,” the belief that the United States is qualitatively different from other nations.

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »

Do you realize that our whole satellite communications system and GPS could be destroyed by a low tech attack from a country with a few missiles blasting a few loads of plain gravel into the satellites' orbit?

Militarization of space makes no sense as using the weapons would create so much "space junk" it would ground us to earth forever.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »

Do you realize that our whole satellite communications system and GPS could be destroyed by a low tech attack from a country with a few missiles blasting a few loads of plain gravel into the satellites' orbit?

Militarization of space makes no sense as using the weapons would create so much "space junk" it would ground us to earth forever.

I can understand your first augument, but "grounding us to earth" would be a problem because.......?

Let us fight the good fight!
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:04:36 PM »

Have you heard of an electronic impulse weapon?
If it was to be detonated over America?
All of our Electronical stuff would QUIT working...(it would be total devestastion for America in 1 hour)

China shot a satelite out of its orbit a couple months ago....

"Space junk" is ONE of the reasons(maybe the main reason) that the Heavens shall be melted, So God can get rid of ALL that Stuff that's up their!
You know He's not going to have ALL that stuff floating around when he comes to rule...
That's always been my thought on that anyway!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

Have you heard of an electronic impulse weapon?
If it was to be detonated over America?
All of our Electronical stuff would QUIT working...(it would be total devestastion for America in 1 hour)

If it came to that it would be the same world wide. While life would be more difficult than it is now it would not be the end of life with just that sort of an event. It would take much more and that much more will be forthcoming.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »

Hi Pastor
I did'nt mean to imply that it would end all life or all life in America...
However millions upon millions would die in America it would seem...
Just by the water that comes from the Colo. River to Calif. would kill 1000's if not 1,000,000,000's.
The wide spread panic that would accure, Look what happens during a little riot...
Factories & Daries that process foods for us & Farms that grow our food, All these require electricity & Fuel.
NO GAS for the masses...
ALL Air Defensive mechanizims not working properly.
NO Eyes or Ears that we use for our Defense or Offense.
Just think of ALL the people in Hospitals that depend on elect. to survive...
Food not being delivered to stores quick enough if @ all.
NO more fast foods places. Except at a good neighbors Smiley
Katrina times a 1000 over...
And whatever else someone could think of that requires elect. or fuel. ect.
It's quit possible that God would allow something like this to happen to America, if that's what it would take for him to get MORE people to turn to him, Why not? would'nt be the 1st. time...
You know what he thinks about nations that turn from him and his ways & what he says he'll do to them...

$97.00 for a barrel of oil right now,
and with the sanctions the U.N "might" impose on Iran, Iran has promised to devastate the oil market.
Did you read about China's Shortage of fuel the other day,
These people are sucking it up like water and why not?
China and Russia are getting fuel from Iran for about 23 cents a gal.
That's true God is the finisher of ALL things...
Your Loving Brother Duane

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »

It always is a possibility. Many of the younger generation don't know how to survive without electricity and many of the older generation has forgotten. I remember an ice storm that hit Memphis. They normally don't get such ice. It took down a lot of trees and power lines. People were out of power for 4 to 6 weeks. The people just didn't know how to handle it all. A number of people died because of no heat even though the gas lines to their homes were not effected they didn't know how to get their furnaces to work without electricity.

As for the Defence systems they have all those backed up. The back up systems are powered down. Systems that are powered down are not effected by electronic impulse weapons. In addition to that the backups have non-electrical backups. Our Military is well at the ready for such an incident. Yes, there would chaos if it were to happen.

I could be very wrong but I don't think this will happen. There are many other things that will and no one is or can be ready for them. I thank God that as Christians we do not have to be overly concerned with it as we are in the Lord's hands.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »

Also remember that an EMP blast will not effect "electricity" but electronics.  A lightbulb will still light if electricity is applied.  However your cell phone will not even though the battery is actually good.  A classic '63 Corvette will still probably run but your new '08 model will die...one has a computer to run everything, the other does not. 

What an EMP blast will effect are things that run off of solid state devices, older devices will be more resilient to EMP because they typically use larger voltages to operate.  It is basically like taking a magnet and moving it over your VHS tape or floppy disk.  And EMP pulse does not generate any heat or any other factor like that.  It is simply a huge magnetic pulse.  And what it does is create a spike of voltage down conductors.   

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »

A classic '63 Corvette will still probably run but your new '08 model will die...one has a computer to run everything, the other does not. 

And if one knows how to do it even the newer car can run without the computer. It isn't hard to by-pass the computer system and make it work.

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »

And if one knows how to do it even the newer car can run without the computer. It isn't hard to by-pass the computer system and make it work.

Actually it impossible on most cars as both the fuel injection and ignition require computer control to work. You would have to somehow equip the vehicle with a carburetor and a distributor that fit the engine. Most people don't have those hanging around.

An EMP attack has never actually been tried, so no one knows for sure what the effects would be. Some places might escape due to natural shielding.

Our military probably has systems hardened against such an attack, but they have become totally dependent on GPS and satellite communications. Predator drones and such use both to operate, as do "smart weapons" and even manned aircraft. Taking the satellites out by launching a few truckloads of gravel into their orbit is a much cheaper way than EMP to nearly destroy US military capability, as we rely on high tech rather than manpower.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »

to nearly destroy US military capability, as we rely on high tech rather than manpower.

Here I would have to disagree completely. In the 1980's it was already noted the danger of relying on high tech systems alone. Because of this the Military implemented backup systems to backup systems so that they would be able to function in the event of a catastrophic event happening to those high tech systems. They are consistently holding exercises today that involve events that supposedly knock out those systems.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »

Well I would have to say yes and no.  Yes the core infrastructure would be protected.  However we do not keep our aircraft and things of that nature in hardened bunkers and such.  And strong enough EMP would damage their components as well.  I would say it would put our capability back a few years.  Yes the AR's would still fire bullets.  But the jet fighters would be in trouble initially.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

I've heard that they can be detonated miles above our capability of detecting them too?

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »

Now that I would have to say I do not believe.  We have the ability to monitor missile launches all over the world.  So to get a missile up in the air and us not notice it is a bit of a stretch to me.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »

The Military has known of EMP concerns since before the 1980's. It was a big scare during the Cold War. I worked with a lot of satellite equipment while in service, both for weapons and communication systems. There is such a thing as EMP proof equipment and it has been employed into Military systems including jets. As I was saying earlier it is the civilian populace that will have a problem with this not the Military as this "proofing" is too expensive to put into all the products that consumers use. In addition to this there are many backups used. Some of these backups use older equipment that has no computers or EMP sensitive components in them. There are backups also to the satellite systems. Even if the satellites are knocked completely out there are means for the Military to use as a backup to them. Our nation will not be defenseless in such a situation. The tin-hat wearing people that came out with this EMP scare did not know of this and probably wants to still deny it's existence. I somehow get the feeling it was started by some of the anti-war crowd that was trying to scare people into backing off away from the war.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the