Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  It is time: Traitor, do your duty (Mat 26:17-25)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It is time: Traitor, do your duty (Mat 26:17-25)  (Read 949 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:47:42 PM »

TEACHINGS of JESUS
(originally written 1998 )

It is time: Traitor, do your duty (Mat 26:17-25)
From A Voice In The Wilderness

The Teacher says, My time is near; toward you I will prepare the  Passover with My disciples. (vs18 )[vw: Hmmm... from the funny grammar, it  looks like I was using the LITV when this was written :] Mark 14 and Luke  22 tell how Jesus instructs the disciples to follow a man "carrying a pitcher of water" to  whatever house he goes to, and basically 'invite themselves' in to  prepare the Passover. It always intrigues me how Jesus would send  somebody to do something, telling them what would happen, and what to do  if they needed contingency plans. Like, when they went to get the  donkeys... and He prepared them for the response when the owners would  be yelling after them for "stealing" the donkeys. 

In that culture, men typically did not carry pitchers of water. That was  "women's work". And yet Jesus tells them to follow a "man" carrying  water. Why was the man carrying water? I have read some speculations in  the past, that the water he was carrying was 'ritual' water for  'purification' purposes. I don't know. But Jesus knew. Just like He knew  the owners of the donkeys would release them to 'total strangers' when  they knew He needed them. Since Jesus was the fulfillment of centuries  of Mosaic rituals, where many things were ritually cleaned in water  prior to sacrifice, and so were the priests; was that pitcherful of  water for Jesus to use? Had that man received a vision from God to go  get the water? An unnamed woman has already 'anointed' Him, God's High  Priest. (Heb8:1) Perhaps the water was for other ritual fulfillment's? 

Whatever the case, the group is now reclined, partaking of Passover. And  of all things to talk about, Jesus says, "Truly I say to you that one of  you will betray Me." (vs21) Jesus already knew 'who' it was, because He  picked him for the very purpose. (10:4, Jn6:64,13:18 ) The disciples,  however, haven't a clue what He is talking about. And so He begins by  quoting Scripture, "The one eating the bread with Me lifted up his heel  against Me." (Jn13:18,Ps41:9) 

They ask around, "Surely it isn't me??" (vs22) And Peter gets John to  ask Him, "Who is it?" (Jn13:25) And Jesus responds, "The one dipping the  hand with Me in the dish will betray Me." (vs23) "And dipping the  morsel, He gave it to Judas Iscariot.." (Jn13:26) 

And then Jesus says a little about God's sovereignty, and man's will.  The purpose of God is fulfilled, "Indeed, the Son of Man goes, as it has  been written about Him." Christ -will- die. It will happen no matter  what. God's purpose -will- be fulfilled. But "woe to that man by whom  the Son of Man is betrayed." (vs24) It would have been good if he had  never been born! And Judas, the lying thief, has to cover his tracks,  and cannot be different than the rest. He's the only one who by now  hasn't asked, "surely not me?" So he asks, "Not I am the one, Rabbi?"  You have said it. Judas already knew. He had already contrived with the  rulers for 30 pieces of silver. (vs15-16) 

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »

It is time: Traitor, do your duty (Mat 26:17-25)

Now, quite an interesting thing here. The rulers have been seeking for  some time, for opportunity to do away with Jesus, but they are always  caught between Jesus' knowledge and power, and the fear of the people  who they expect would stone them for taking Jesus into custody  (Mt21:26). One time, already, they had tried to stone Him, but He had  simply walked away, right through their midst. (Jn8:59) And when Judas  contracted to 'help' them, it says of Judas, "..from then he SOUGHT  OPPORTUNITY that he might betray Him." (vs16) But Jesus' time was "not  yet" ready to be "fulfilled". (Jn7:6,8 ) 

But notice how things unfold. Jesus dips the morsel and gives it to  Judas. He confirms Judas' phony query. And then says to him, "What you  do, do quickly." (Jn13:27) Judas, you're looking for the right moment?  That moment is -NOW-. Go! Do it! You see, even in betrayal, Jesus is in  full command of the situation. He was not betrayed. They did not get Him  by stealth. He "gave" Himself, (Is50:6) just as the Father 'gave' Jesus  for sinful man. (Jn3:16) In the last lesson we considered the matter  that both the Romans and Israel crucified Jesus. But they were only able  to do so, because Jesus 'gave' Himself into their hands. And this  crucifixion process begins when Jesus tells Judas, Go... Now..! 

And finally, the ultimate test of exactly "Who" Jesus is as He is  crucified. Jesus is setting things up so that in a few days, when it is  all over, the disciples will recognize that He told them about it  -before- it all happened. Remember that one primary distinguishing  feature of the Most High is His "declaring the end from the beginning.."  fulfilling His purpose. (Is46:10) 

Jesus tells them about His betrayal and glorification, "From this time I  tell you before it happens, that when it happens you may believe that I  AM." (Jn13:19) As Judas leaves to fulfill his 'assignment', the  disciples still haven't a clue as to what is about to happen.  (Jn13:28-29) But Jesus now tells them, "Now the Son of Man was  glorified, and God was glorified in Him." (vs31) 

Once He has been crucified and raised again, and they can see everything  in hindsight, then He will "open their mind to understand the  Scriptures" (Lk24:45) 

"..knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep;
for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. Let us
 walk decently, as in the day...putting on the Lord Jesus Christ..
...redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
Romans 13:11-14~ Ephesians 5:16

Free E-Mail Subscriptions: http://www.a-voice.org/mail

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the