Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Microsoft caught installing stealth software
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft caught installing stealth software  (Read 3436 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »

Microsoft caught
installing stealth software
Company altering Windows files
regardless of users' update settings

Stealth tinkering by Microsoft of millions of Windows XP and Vista PCs sounds like a cheesy B-movie plot. That's why I had to read the Windows Secrets story "Microsoft updates Windows without users' consent" story twice.

Scott Dunn, an editor at the "Windows Secrets" newsletter, reports nine files in XP and Vista have been changed by Windows Update without displaying the usual notification or permission dialog box. The files are related to the XP and Vista versions of Windows Update itself.

Reported unauthorised tampering by Microsoft of user machines with no permission or consent has been confirmed by other sources as well. EWEEK Labs has independently confirmed the report and so has ZDNet.

So far Microsoft has not issued any statement. Dunn says Microsoft has only hinted at what its intentions are. In a Microsoft forum titled "Critical Update slipped in through the back door" there are some clues as to Microsoft's intent.

Dunn reports:

The only explanation found at Microsoft's site comes from a user identified as Dean-Dean on a Microsoft Communities forum. In reply to a question, he states:

* "Windows Update Software 7.0.6000.381 is an update to Windows Update itself. It is an update for both Windows XP and Windows Vista. Unless the update is installed, Windows Update won't work, at least in terms of searching for further updates. Normal use of Windows Update, in other words, is blocked until this update is installed."

Windows Secrets contributing editor Susan Bradley contacted Microsoft Partner Support about the update and received this short reply:

* "7.0.6000.381 is a consumer only release that addresses some specific issues found after .374 was released. It will not be available via WSUS [Windows Server Update Services]. A standalone installer and the redist will be available soon, I will keep an eye on it and notify you when it is available."

Unfortunately, this reply does not explain why the stealth patching began with so little information provided to customers. Nor does it provide any details on the "specific issues" that the update supposedly addresses.

Dunn and others are careful to point out that Microsoft is not doing any harm to the files it is modifying. We can only assume that those files are being changed to deliver a better Windows experience. However, what is very serious and disturbing is the stealth mechanism Microsoft is using to perform its OS updates.

The implications are huge. The tactics used by Microsoft are most commonly associated with those used by hackers, adware, and spyware companies.

This isn't the first time Windows Updates have taken centre stage among the privacy minded.

Privacy concerns were raised in October when it was discovered that Windows Updates included the anti-piracy program Windows Genuine Advantage. Users were never asked for their consent to download and install the program.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »

Hello Pastor Roger,

Brother, in my opinion, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are much worse things going on and "sinister" is insufficient to describe it. I think there are armies of folks trying to understand everything that Microsoft is doing right now. There are all kinds of possible and reasonable explanations that are all anti-customer, anti-privacy, and pro-Microsoft.

The actual name of the game is "MONEY AND CONTROL". There is and has been a grand plan for everyone to be caught in a never-ending cycle of buying new software, and much of that software will be from Microsoft and their affiliates.

Things are beginning to backfire on Microsoft, so more aggressive methods are required. Huge blocks of business, government, and individual customers are dumping Microsoft and going to alternative operating systems. The "Why's" represent a growing list of very distasteful things that most customers won't tolerate when they find out about it. Microsoft and affiliates have decided that they will control what is done on your computer - not you. Further - you will buy from them. YES - your Windows computer reports directly to Microsoft every time you connect to the Internet. After all, they must know what you're doing to be able to control it. YES - they will install whatever software they feel is necessary to achieve their goals.

There are HUGE lists of commercial companies paying Microsoft to control and manipulate you. The better Microsoft does - the more and longer they get paid by ever increasing numbers of commercial entities. If you get anything at all FREE from Microsoft, you can take it to the bank that it pertains to controlling and manipulating you. If you want to get brave and be totally informed, start reading very carefully all of Microsoft's license agreements called "E.U.L.A." Most people don't read them and simply agree without knowing what they are agreeing to. After all, Microsoft is supposed to be TRUSTED - RIGHT? Read them all and see what you've ALREADY AGREED TO with software already installed on your computer from Microsoft. You don't have to agree, but then you don't get to install the software that is probably a fix for security and other errors. This is OVER AND ABOVE all the agreements you MUST SAY YES TO in turning that new computer on that you just bought.

You might also want to take a hard look at planned and pre-stated "life cycles" for Microsoft support of various products. Five years is a reasonable time for you to HAVE TO BUY NEW SOFTWARE. AND, all of that new Microsoft Software will obviously require fixes and updates right out of the box and more AGREEMENTS! These agreements have gotten pretty wild over the last 5 years, but you won't know until you read them. It doesn't matter what outrageous sum of money you spend, there is still an outrageous agreement you must say "YES" to before you can install it. By the way, you don't "OWN" that high-priced software you just bought. Check this first and see if you own any Microsoft software you paid through the nose for.

There's a common term used when talking about spyware:  "Calling Home". Spyware isn't usually designed to cripple your computer and make it hard to use. The primary purpose for spyware is to report what you are doing to parties who have no business in knowing it. The primary purpose for spyware could more accurately be described as a removal of privacy. Unknown parties will be receiving information they want for purposes you would never agree to. Bottom line - my opinion and many others - Microsoft is now the largest distributor of SPYWARE in the world. They have gone far beyond what you agreed to in those massive "E.U.L.A.'s" and decided they will take what they want without any regard for what the customer will tolerate or not tolerate. It just doesn't matter and they're going to do it anyway. Customers only know about a tiny percentage of what they're actually doing. You probably won't get mad enough to do MUCH anyway. After all, you want to keep using your computer - RIGHT? OR, IS IT YOUR COMPUTER?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:36:43 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »

The actual name of the game is "MONEY AND CONTROL". There is and has been a grand plan for everyone to be caught in a never-ending cycle of buying new software, and much of that software will be from Microsoft and their affiliates.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy nut but i do think it goes far beyond just the worldly aspect of money and control and into the spiritual realm of control. It is a system that satan can attempt to use to control the world. With all the things that we see Bill Gates getting into these days and supporting that are outside the realm of Microsoft I have few doubts as to this being true.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy nut but i do think it goes far beyond just the worldly aspect of money and control and into the spiritual realm of control. It is a system that satan can attempt to use to control the world. With all the things that we see Bill Gates getting into these days and supporting that are outside the realm of Microsoft I have few doubts as to this being true.

Brother,

There's reports from reputable sources all over the Internet, so it definitely isn't related to "conspiracy nut" stuff. There's real problems in long lists, but I haven't searched for the specific information you mentioned. Nothing would surprise me. I had a dual boot to choose from Linux or XP for a time, and I now have nothing but Linux on my machine. For many reasons, I decided that I had to have complete independence, and I DO have that now. Linux is getting more friendly by the day. I didn't enjoy changing everything, but I think that it's going to be well worth it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the