Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Galatians Bible Study
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Galatians Bible Study  (Read 54298 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2003, 11:54:40 PM »

I hope this is not off-topic...a small but interesting thing I've noted recently is, that Paul did not consume nourishment until after he had been baptized. Here I waited 7 years to do it; he was so earnest about it, he didn't even take breakfast until baptism had taken place.

Oklahoma Howdy to Willowbirch,

I think this is completely on topic and interesting in understanding the Apostle Paul. I think that one must understand the Apostle Paul before his writing can be fully appreciated. I think this could be compared to understanding and enjoying the New Testament without the background of the Old Testament. I'm working on a part three about the Apostle Paul, but I may post more verses from Galatians first.

Willowbirch and all, please feel welcome to post Scriptures and anything else that's on your heart or mind you feel led to do. I think this type of discussion and participation is what makes a Bible study so interesting.

In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 09:18:23 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2003, 12:53:44 AM »

"In other words, there is no acknowledgement that the receivers of the message are Brethren" In reference to verse 2.
"And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:"

Isn't it acknowledged in :
Galatians 1:11, 3:15, 4:12, 28, 31, 5:11, 13, 6:1, and 18.

Also the use of "unto the churches" and in verse 3 "our Lord Jesus Christ" infer that Paul is acknowledging that they all have something in common, the Lord and that they are in His church thus signifying a recognition of like people, "brethren".
Paul also acknowledges false brethren in Galatia in 2:4

In Christian love,
Ollie
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 12:55:40 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2003, 07:15:04 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Ollie,

Those comments were directed specifically to that verse. If you look at the openings of other writings from Paul, most are quite different. I'm sure that the Apostle Paul realizes there are saved people at Galatia. Go ahead and post verse 11 if you wish.

The general thought from the poll is we would go verse by verse, chapter by chapter, but feel free to do whatever you would like. Things should start going faster in the next day or so. We have several more joining, and I have my computer problems fixed again (I hope).

In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2003, 10:04:58 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Ollie,

Those comments were directed specifically to that verse. If you look at the openings of other writings from Paul, most are quite different. I'm sure that the Apostle Paul realizes there are saved people at Galatia. Go ahead and post verse 11 if you wish.

The general thought from the poll is we would go verse by verse, chapter by chapter, but feel free to do whatever you would like. Things should start going faster in the next day or so. We have several more joining, and I have my computer problems fixed again (I hope).

In Christ,
Tom
You are correct there is no mention of "brethren" in verse 2, but there is an inference in that his letter is to the church which is mentioned in verse 2.

It is sometimes difficult to study a verse alone and seperate without studying to and fro on the related issue of the verse to realize the truer meaning of that given verse.

If I comment on verse 11, I will wait until it is posted.

In Christ's love,
Ollie

Reba
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2003, 12:02:44 PM »

Galatians 1: 1-2
Paul is stating where  his authorty is from.

God
  Christ
  brethern

verse 4-5
 a lead into the topic of the letter

verses 6 the slam Angry
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2003, 05:01:05 PM »

An interesting word used is churche(s).  Were all the churches in Galatia turning to a different gospel?  Or perhaps there were a few members in various churches who remained faithful.  The tone of Pauls usual greeting does seem different in this letter.  Either way, Paul appears hopeful that they were not beyond correction.  

I have considered, if I were Paul in this situation, how would I address this congregation of churches in my opening regards to them.   How would you address a known brother, who had started to falter?  Not sure if any of this is relevant, but it is some food for thought.

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2003, 06:27:45 PM »

This study is GRRRREAT, your all doing a good job. I will be joining in soon. Here is some info some of you might enjoy.

Paul and Jesus Compared

Below is a list of similarities between the Apostle Paul in Acts and Jesus in the Gospel accounts of the last week before He was crucified:

Both were told by a crowd of Jews to 'take him away';
Christ - John 19:15; Luke 23:18
Paul - Acts 21:36; 22:22

Both were falsely accused by the Jews;
Christ - Mark 14:57,58,64 (of blasphemy)
Paul - Acts 21:28 (of profaning the temple)

Both appeared before the Sanhedrin;
Christ - Luke 22:63-71
Paul - Acts 23:1-10

Both appeared before the Roman Governor who ruled Palestine at that time;
Christ - John 18:28-38 (Pilate)
Paul - Acts 25:6-27 (Festus)

Both were declared innocent of death by the Governors;
Christ - John 18:38
Paul - Acts 25:25

Both could have been released;
Christ - John 19:10-12
Paul - Acts 26:32

The public ministry of both ended when they were seized by the Jews;
Christ - John 18:12
Paul - Acts 21:27-30

Reference used:
The Fall of Israel
by Robert C. Brock

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2003, 08:21:12 PM »

An interesting word used is churche(s).  Were all the churches in Galatia turning to a different gospel?  Or perhaps there were a few members in various churches who remained faithful.  The tone of Pauls usual greeting does seem different in this letter.  Either way, Paul appears hopeful that they were not beyond correction.  

I have considered, if I were Paul in this situation, how would I address this congregation of churches in my opening regards to them.   How would you address a known brother, who had started to falter?  Not sure if any of this is relevant, but it is some food for thought.

Does the following verse help to answer your question?

2 Thessalonians 3:14.  And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
 15. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2003, 11:12:48 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I'm trying to list a few references, comparisons, and contrasts. Some of the comparisons involve the writing style of the Apostle Paul and probably his focus if everything is placed in context with his life and ministry.

Galatians 1:5  To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

There are many like doxologies in the writings of Paul. See Ephesians 3:21. In looking at Paul's writing style and phrases, some scholars believe that Paul intends all glory to God and none to man. Some extend this inference to specfically exclude Moses and all other men.

Eph 3:21  Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Galatians 1:6  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Many Greek orators used the term "marvel" to indicate shock and sorrow. In the writings of the Apostles, "called" is always the work of God indicating Divine persuasion. So, "him that called" was God. "Into the grace of Christ" is literally accepting the Love of Christ which is a Gift of God. "Another gospel" refers to being persuaded of men to draw away into a false doctrine.

Galatians 1:7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

False teachers who are troublers and troublesome are representing a different teaching as the Gospel. The teaching is false and corrupts the gospel of Christ. The corruption at Galatia involved trusting in men and seeking self-righteousness through deeds of the Law. See Luke 18:9.

Luke 18:9  And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

Galatians 1:8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Literally, they have already been taught the true doctrine of the Gospel of the Grace of God, and there is no other, regardless of who the teacher is. Let him who teaches any conflicting doctrine be accursed, cut off from Christ and God. See 2 Corinthians 11:13-14

2 Corinthians 11:13  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2 Corinthians 11:14  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

G331 - accursed - Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
ἀνάθεμα
anathema
an-ath'-em-ah
From G394; a (religious) ban or (concretely) excommunicated (thing or person): - accursed, anathema, curse, X great.

Galatians 1:9  As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

The Apostle Paul knows that he made a strong and harsh statement. He deliberately repeats and stands by that harsh statement. Paul and other Brethren have warned the people of Galatia before about false teachers. See comparison 2 Corinthians 13:1-2.

2Co 13:1  This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.
2Co 13:2  I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:

Galatians 1:10  For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

This is a justification for the harsh language in the previous two verses. "For do I now persuade men, or God?" Persuade is used in the manner "seek to win over". The word usage and sentence structure here is somewhat unusual but it is typical for the Apostle Paul to make comparisons and contrasts. See the following comparisons and references. He seeks to persuade men and please only God. Paul makes a dramatic contrast between pleasing man and pleasing God. Part of Paul's unique life was spent in seeking self-righteousness, pleasing men, and living the doctrines of men as a Jew. However, Paul became a chosen vessel for the Gospel of God's Grace and was commissioned by Christ Himself to proclaim it. Paul was no longer interested in pleasing men, regardless of cost or danger, rather to please only God and give God all the Glory.

It is plain to see that the Apostle Paul takes the contrast between man and God much further. Paul, of all people, clearly understands why the Pharisees were known as a generation of vipers. They rejected and persecuted THE CHRIST unto death in the vanity of their own self-righteousness. Paul's experience as a Pharisee made him appreciate and love the Gospel of God's Grace "much more".

2Co 5:11  Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Acts 5:29  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

1 Thessalonians 2:4  But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.

2 Corinthians 12:19  Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2003, 03:08:37 AM »

Galatians 1:6 I am surprised and astonished that you are so quickly  turning renegade and deserting Him Who invited and called you  by the grace (unmerited favor) of Christ (the Messiah) [and that you are transferring your allegiance] to a different [even an opposition] gospel.
7Not that there is [or could be] any other [genuine Gospel], but there are [obviously] some who are troubling and disturbing and bewildering you  [with a different kind of teaching which they offer as a gospel] and want to pervert and distort the Gospel of Christ (the Messiah) [into something which it absolutely is not].
8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to and different from that which we preached to you, let him be accursed (anathema, devoted to destruction, doomed to eternal punishment)! Amplified

I find the Amplified Bible to put it bolder more as I would see Paul with him knowing the people that they come from a warrior society the words renegade and deserting would hold a meaning that would get their att., and let them know that this was very importent, not to be dismissed lighty.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2003, 08:02:38 AM »

This study is GRRRREAT, your all doing a good job. I will be joining in soon. Here is some info some of you might enjoy.

Paul and Jesus Compared

Below is a list of similarities between the Apostle Paul in Acts and Jesus in the Gospel accounts of the last week before He was crucified:

Both were told by a crowd of Jews to 'take him away';
Christ - John 19:15; Luke 23:18
Paul - Acts 21:36; 22:22

Both were falsely accused by the Jews;
Christ - Mark 14:57,58,64 (of blasphemy)
Paul - Acts 21:28 (of profaning the temple)

Both appeared before the Sanhedrin;
Christ - Luke 22:63-71
Paul - Acts 23:1-10

Both appeared before the Roman Governor who ruled Palestine at that time;
Christ - John 18:28-38 (Pilate)
Paul - Acts 25:6-27 (Festus)

Both were declared innocent of death by the Governors;
Christ - John 18:38
Paul - Acts 25:25

Both could have been released;
Christ - John 19:10-12
Paul - Acts 26:32

The public ministry of both ended when they were seized by the Jews;
Christ - John 18:12
Paul - Acts 21:27-30

Reference used:
The Fall of Israel
by Robert C. Brock

Thank you, A4C!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2003, 08:16:46 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Good points.
Good examples.
Good discussion.
Good participation.

This is what I was hoping for in the study of Galatians. I would simply pray for more of the same. The collection of thoughts and comparisons make it an interesting study.

Brother Ambassador4Christ, I enjoyed the comparison between Jesus and Paul. It is hard to imagine how difficult and dangerous their work was.

Brother Forrest, I enjoyed the comparison of verse 6 and 7 with the Amplified Bible and your thoughts.

Brother Ollie, I enjoy your posts and thoughts. Thanks!

Sister Reba, you make it short, sweet, and directly to the point. Thanks for joining in.

2nd Timothy, you are a valued new member of Christians United. I'm really glad you joined in this study with us.

Brother Allinall, thanks for volunteering to do a brief on the term "Apostle". I enjoyed it. This is only one of the companion topics that must be understood to enjoy Galatians.

Sister Willowbirch, thanks for volunteering to do a brief on the geographical area of Galatia during the life of Paul. That was very interesting, and I enjoyed it.

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. Others are also joining in as we go. We've had a very pleasant exchange of thoughts about this precious portion of Scripture.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Reba
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2003, 10:33:13 AM »

Gal 1:6-7
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
KJV

What is the gospel Paul preaches?

Do Pauls words group the names of the gospel into one gospel?  ( a few examples below) (Sorta like a rose by anyother name is still a rose)

Matt 4:23
gospel of the kingdom,
KJV
Matt 4:23
gospel of the kingdom,
KJV

Rom 1:1
the gospel of God
KJV

Mark 1:1
 gospel of Jesus Christ,
KJV

1 Cor 9:18
gospel of Christ
KJV

Eph 1:13
gospel of your salvation:
KJV

Eph 6:15
gospel of peace;
KJV

Luke 16:16
kingdom of God
KJV

Do we see the same perversion, of the gospel, today?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2003, 01:02:15 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba,

Thanks, good discussion.

Yes there are various terms applied to the Gospel, just as there is more than one name for Jesus. It might be difficult to describe in a few words what is and what is not the gospel, but I'll give it a try.

God's Grace - Faith Alone - In Christ Alone

The Apostle Paul and others go into considerable detail about why certain doctrines are not part of the Gospel. Examples:

Man can't save himself by obeying the Law.

Apart from Jesus, man has no righteousness.

Jesus is the ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.

Salvation is a GIFT from GOD in HIS LOVE and GRACE, something that NO man could ever earn or deserve.

All men sin and come short of the GLORY of GOD. The only PERFECTION that is acceptable to GOD is in JESUS CHRIST.

The only righteousness a man has is imputed to him or her THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS. They have no righteousness apart from JESUS.

Generally, these and other tests can be applied to any doctrine to determine if it is true or false.

In answer to your question:  YES, there are many false doctrines and false teachers today. In general, those that deny Jesus being the Son of God and being the ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE could be considered the worst. Generally, those that teach trust in man, self, and self-righteousness as being the WAY are close to the worst.

Specifically, any doctrine that excludes Jesus Christ as the foundation, the core, THE ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE, THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD, AND THE LORD AND SAVIOUR is a false doctrine given by a false teacher who is accursed. I don't think many Christians would have any problem with this statement.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2003, 02:28:01 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba,

Thanks, good discussion.

Yes there are various terms applied to the Gospel, just as there is more than one name for Jesus. It might be difficult to describe in a few words what is and what is not the gospel, but I'll give it a try.

God's Grace - Faith Alone - In Christ Alone

The Apostle Paul and others go into considerable detail about why certain doctrines are not part of the Gospel. Examples:

Man can't save himself by obeying the Law.

Apart from Jesus, man has no righteousness.

Jesus is the ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE.

Salvation is a GIFT from GOD in HIS LOVE and GRACE, something that NO man could ever earn or deserve.

All men sin and come short of the GLORY of GOD. The only PERFECTION that is acceptable to GOD is in JESUS CHRIST.

The only righteousness a man has is imputed to him or her THROUGH THE BLOOD OF JESUS. They have no righteousness apart from JESUS.

Generally, these and other tests can be applied to any doctrine to determine if it is true or false.

In answer to your question:  YES, there are many false doctrines and false teachers today. In general, those that deny Jesus being the Son of God and being the ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE could be considered the worst. Generally, those that teach trust in man, self, and self-righteousness as being the WAY are close to the worst.

Specifically, any doctrine that excludes Jesus Christ as the foundation, the core, THE ONLY WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE, THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD, AND THE LORD AND SAVIOUR is a false doctrine given by a false teacher who is accursed. I don't think many Christians would have any problem with this statement.

Love In Christ,
Tom

As a former cult member I can, and do atest to the fact that there are many false teachers out there, Paul in his second leter to Timothy warns that many will turn away seeking teachers that will tell them what they want to hear.

2 Timothy 4.
3   For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4   And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5   But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the