Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Galatians Bible Study
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Galatians Bible Study  (Read 54499 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 06:28:04 AM »

Welcome!  I will be out of town for the next couple of days, so if I don't get involved, don't y'all think I've left the study!  This is really an encouragement.  A real God send.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 06:49:44 AM »

Hello to all of my Brothers, and Sisters here.
      I'll be working for the next few nights, but I'll be looking in each morning. It is looks like we are all off to a good start, BEP. if you could just apoint a peace and I'll try to get it ready to post Sat. night or early Sun.

Thankyou
                        YBIC

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2003, 01:22:33 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall, Forrest, and all,

We knew when we started that many worked long hours and had other commitments. Just jump in when you can, comment on the discussion, and maybe post something about the many companion topics that help to understand and enjoy Galatians.

I'm hoping to make some posts today and get things rolling. I hope that everyone feels welcome to post additional thoughts about various Scriptures and topics as we go.

In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2003, 02:28:23 PM »

Galatia - It would also be nice to have a geographical brief of the area of the churches of Galatia in context with the time Paul wrote Galatians.

Tom
I would love to do this, if no one has already decided to!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 03:30:21 PM »

Galatia - It would also be nice to have a geographical brief of the area of the churches of Galatia in context with the time Paul wrote Galatians.

Tom
I would love to do this, if no one has already decided to!

Oklahoma Howdy to Willowbirch,

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I think our study will be more interesting when details like this are covered. It's one thing to simply read the Scriptures and quite another to understand the times, the location, and the people involved. I think you will find that the people of Galatia had a history of being fierce warriors and were feared.

My sincere thanks Willowbirch!

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 03:37:08 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Please jump in and feel free to add to the discussion and participate in any way that you feel led to.

--------------------------

The Apostle Paul - Part One

The Apostle Paul was born probably between A.D. 0 to A.D. 5 in Tarsus, Cilicia. His Jewish name was Saul, and his father was of the tribe of Benjamin and a Pharisee.

Romans 11:1  I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Philippians 3:5  Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

Webster - Pharisee
"PHAR'ISEE, n. [Heb. to separate.] One of a sect among the Jews, whose religion consisted in a strict observance of rites and ceremonies and of the traditions of the elders,and whose pretended holiness led them to separate themselves as a sect, considering themselves as more righteous than other Jews."

Saul grew up in Jerusalem and became proficient in the speaking and writing of the Greek language. Saul probably left his home of Tarsus as a young boy to study in Jerusalem. One of his masters was Gamaliel, one of the foremost doctors of the law. He was also a tent-maker and used a goat's-hair cloth called cilicium in the making of tents. Saul became an eminent Pharisee and persecutor of those who violated the Mosaic Law. Most specifically, Saul became a persecutor of Christians and followed the believers of Christ to persecute them. Saul was a zealous Pharisee and also a Roman citizen.

Acts 22:3  I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Saul was a young man of power and education during a time of great persecution of the church at Jerusalem. Young Saul caused misery for the church and the followers of Christ. Saul entered the homes of believers and sent many men and women to prison. In fact, Saul caused the death of many believers and threatened to slaughter the disciples of Christ. It was Saul who consented to the stoning of Stephen, and he held the garments of those who stoned Stephen to death. Saul would have fit in well with the Pharisees who persecuted Jesus Christ unto death.

Acts 7:58  And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

Acts 8:1  And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Acts 8:3  As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Acts 9:1  And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Acts 22:4  And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women.

----------------------

In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 12:19:48 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2003, 05:22:47 PM »

Saul
   law
   dead in sin
   selfrighteous

Paul
   Free
   Quickened
   Christ's righteous

seems a complete 180  

Just want to say, this is good, short and to the point.
Thanks Reba.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »

Galatians 1:2 to Galatians 1:4:

Galatians 1:2  And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

Brethren is one of the key terms of this Scripture. Brethren is the plural of "brother" and is used literally and figuratively. In this case, the term "Brethren" is used to describe believers in Christ and those who serve to spread the Gospel. It is interesting to note that he uses the term "Brethren" referring to those with him, not those who are receiving the message in the churches of Galatia. Many Bible scholars believe this word usage is intentional on the part of the Apostle Paul in stressing his doubt about the congregations of Galatia. In other words, there is no acknowledgement that the receivers of the message are Brethren.

Phi 2:22  But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

Phi 4:21  Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.

Galatians 1:3  Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,

Even though Paul is about to deliver harsh correction, he still wishes Grace and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ to those who will receive his correction.

G5485 - Grace - Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
charis
khar'-ece
From G5463; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

G1515 - Peace - Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries
eireŻneŻ
i-rah'-nay
Probably from a primary verb e??´?? eiroŻ (to join); peace (literally or figuratively); by implication prosperity: - one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again.
Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries

Paul is wishing the hearers spiritual favour, joy (grace), quietness and rest (peace) from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians 1:4  Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

This is a continuation from the previous verse and an intentional reminder that Jesus Christ took punishment in their stead for forgiveness of sins. Paul will expound on this later, but it is obvious he will discuss how sins are forgiven by the blood of Jesus and not by the deeds of the law.

Matthew 20:28  Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Titus 2:14  Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Matthew 26:28  For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

John 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

1 Corinthians 15:3  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Romans 5:6  For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Paul is making the point that the merits of Christ, not our own, deliver us. Christ paid the only acceptable ransom for our deliverance and all is according to the Will of Almighty God. There is no error by Paul in going back to the basics of the Gospel of the Grace of God. The deliverance spoken of is actually a rescue from the bondage of the Law and the condemnation of sin and death. Yes, Jesus did rescue them and free them from bondage, but they are walking back into bondage.

There are many other contrasts, comparisons, and references available for the beginning of Galatians 1. I realize that I simply scratched the surface. Please feel free to make additional comments and use additional references.

Love In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 08:03:00 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2003, 05:36:45 AM »

I don't know if this will be useful or not, but here is a map showing where Galatia is in comparison to other cities etc.  http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~umw8f/Barbarians/Maps/map_galatia.jpg

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2003, 06:46:57 AM »

A loose history of Galatia; if I missed something, or got some facts wrong, somebody put it in.

Galatia: a name applied by Greek-speaking peoples to a district of Asia Minor occupied by Celts (Gauls). The Northern portion of this district is fertile, but much of the land is almost barren, uncultivated, providing wild pasturage for flocks.
     The Celtic Gauls invaded Asia Minor around 278 BC, and amounted to 20,000 people, only half of which were fighting men. These had been invited by Nicomedes I of Bythinia, who needed their aid in fighting his brother. They soon separated into three tribes, and were the scourge of the Western half of Asia Minor for nearly fifty years, allied with one or more warring princes. In 232 BC they were defeated by Attalus I of Pergamum, and forced to settle in the region now known as Galatia; they already occupied part of this district, but now their boundaries were fixed, and their right to this area was formally recognized.
     According to Gaulish custom, the three Celtic tribes in Galatia were divided into four cantons, each of which was governed by their own chief and a judge under him. The chief's powers were unlimited, except in cases of murder - these were tried by a council of 300 which represented all twelve cantons, the trial being held at a holy place called Drynemeton.
     After Attalus I died, the Gauls fiercely raided West Asia Minor, until Rome was forced to send troops against them in 189 BC, breaking much of Galatia's military power. The Celts became subject to their neighbors, and Rome freed them.
     In the settlement with Rome of 64 B.C. Galatia became a client-state of the Roman empire, the old constitution disappeared, and three chiefs (wrongly styled tetrarchs ) were appointed, one for each tribe. But Chief Deiotarus, contemporary of Cicero and Caesar, made himself master of the other two tetrarchs, and at last was recognized by Rome as the King of Galatia.
     Not all of Galatia was Gaelic; almost two thirds of the district were Phrygians and Cappadocians, native people who came under the lordship of the Gauls. These natives were required to give part of their produce to the conquering Celtic tribes, and were often sold as slaves.
     The Gauls lived in fortified villages rather than common towns; the chiefs dwelled in castles, surrounded by their fighting tribesmen, engaging in warfare and barbarism. But over time their lust for war lessened, and they began to mix with the natives, adopting the local religion.
     At the time of Saint Paul's missionary journeys, Galatia had not yet become Hellenized, although Greek was widely spoken. Not until the 2nd century AD did Hellenic ways and thought appear; only in the 4th and 5th centuries did Hellenism in its Christian form conquer this region, and this was caused mostly by the fact that Galatia became a highway of imperial communication when the center of government was transferred from Nicomedia to Constantinople.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2003, 09:27:05 AM »

I don't know if this will be useful or not, but here is a map showing where Galatia is in comparison to other cities etc.  http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~umw8f/Barbarians/Maps/map_galatia.jpg

Thanks, very nice. I have some maps, but I honestly didn't remember to look and see if I have anything that applies. Thanks for the reminder. Many of the names on the map are clearly refered to in many portions of Scripture, including Galatians.

Thanks!

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2003, 09:36:27 AM »

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. I think that adding the details like this make Biblical history fascinating. I enjoy studying history. In the case of Galatia, it makes it easier to understand and appreciate the work of the Apostle Paul.

THANKS! - Very Nice.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2003, 12:18:18 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Please do feel welcome to join in, post, and participate. When we took the poll to do this, I had no intention of this being my study, rather our study, a group study.

The Apostle Paul - Part Two

There are several facts of interest that are not mentioned in part one. Saul's father had pure Jewish blood, yet he was a Roman citizen. It is unknown exactly how Saul's father obtained this distinction and privilege. This distinction could have been purchased, earned by service to the state, or in several other ways. Regardless, Saul's Roman Citizenship served him well in many difficult situations and Saul's birth would have been called "freeborn". "Paul" was probably the name given Saul for use in the Gentile world.

Saul's home of Tarsus was the capital of Cilicia and was known for commerce, wealth, and excellent education. Saul's early childhood was spent in Tarsus, and it was decided that Saul should become a rabbi and serve as a Pharisee. This was a mixture of lawyer, teacher, and minister of the straightest and most strict sect of the Jews. From his youth and up, Saul could speak of himself as, "touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless".

Philippians 3:6  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Saul was probably about 13 years old when he was sent to the great Jewish school of sacred learning at Jerusalem as a student of the law. Saul became a student of the famous rabbi Gamaliel and was diligent in his studies for many years.  Saul completed his studies and left Jerusalem, possibly back to Tarsus to serve in a synagogue. Saul returned to Jerusalem shortly after the crucifixion of Jesus.  Saul learned about the rise of a new sect called "Nazarenes" and the spread of Christianity. The synagogues hotly disputed Jesus Christ being the Messiah and this lead to persecution of Christians. Saul was probably a member of the great Sanhedrin at this time and was an active leader in the persecution of Christians. Saul, in fact, sought the extermination of Christianity. The stoning of Stephen was an example of Saul's efforts.

Saul's efforts of extermination failed because the Christians were scattered and preaching the Word everywhere they went. Saul learned that fugitives took refuge in Damascus, so he obtained letters from the chief priest to pursue them to Damascus, about a six day journey of 130 miles.

Acts 9:3  And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
Acts 9:4  And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
Acts 9:5  And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
Acts 9:6  And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

It is important to note that Saul used the term "Lord" probably as one would use "Sir" and didn't understand he was in the presence of the risen Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ until later. Saul arose and was blind.

Acts 9:8  And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
Acts 9:9  And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
Acts 9:10  And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
Acts 9:11  And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
Acts 9:12  And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.
Acts 9:13  Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
Acts 9:14  And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
Acts 9:15  But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Acts 9:16  For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
Acts 9:17  And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
Acts 9:18  And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
Acts 9:19  And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
Acts 9:20  And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

Saul, the old man, is gone and born again as Paul, a servant of Christ.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2003, 10:45:50 PM »

I hope this is not off-topic...a small but interesting thing I've noted recently is, that Paul did not consume nourishment until after he had been baptized. Here I waited 7 years to do it; he was so earnest about it, he didn't even take breakfast until baptism had taken place.

Reba
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2003, 11:00:38 PM »

Interesting    Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the