Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:44:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Alcohol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 1258 times)
Seeking_the_truth

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2003, 01:26:24 PM »

I was born in a christian family, loved and raised to be a good christian. My brother is now a pastor, my father a deacon in Church. I attended Sunday Schools, youth fellowships and Bible Camps. But somewhere on the road, as a curious teenager, I stumbled. I have now been a hard drinker for about 7 years. I am 25 years old now.

I have no right to judge people who drink or has a liking for wine and alcohol. But as for me, I am now reduced to nothing but a shadow of what i used to be. Alcohol has taken away everything I loved. My father has turned his back on me. The only girl I love is suffering because of me. All this because i humiliated myself in public, in the society..everywhere innumerable times. I just can't learn from my mistakes. People say I have many talents- Music, writing, Computers, Academics...But now I have no career because I concentrated more on drinking than my Studies or work.

I NEED HELP! because I"M NOT ADDICTED to alcohol (If i were, I (or my parents) would have admitted myself to a Rehab' center). Friends say it's just DEFIANCE. I guess I NEED GOD first of all, and I NEED YOUR PRAYERS. I'm now taking one step ahead by being a part of this forum. I don't wanna stop here.
KiwiChristian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 02:25:44 PM »

Oh I sooo know what you are talking about.
When I became a Christian 9 years ago the need for alcohol thankfully was taken away from me and because I didn't "feel the need for it or to party anymore" alot of my so called "friends" wanted nothing more to do with me either.
Unfortunately it's just that your life has changed (for the better definitely) and you are a brand new person now that you are a born again Christian and it looks and sounds to me like you are going through some persecution from the people in your life.  Christ said to his followers that they must "take up their crosses to follow him" and that "blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness".  Christ was persecuted too because he spoke to truth.
My first answer would be is there anyone in your church or near to you who would be able to pray for you and intercede for you?  Sometimes there are people who have a special ministry in what you have been through.
Secondly let your "light shine so men will see your good deeds....." (matt 5:16) and there is also another verse: Luke 8
A Lamp on a Stand 16"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.

Whenever my "friends" hassled me about drinking and partying with them I remembered how lonely and sad my life was when I was into my former lifestyle.  I dont know about you but there is no way I would ever go back to drinking etc anymore.
Let me know how you are getting on - I will be praying for you.

4JC

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 08:49:18 AM »

seeking,

You said you've been a hard drinker for seven years. You also said your friends concluded that since you don't have a physical addiction it is only defiance.
That's a common misunderstanding about alcoholism. The physical addiction comes later down the road. Most alcoholics have an emotional addiction long before that. You don't need to drink every day or have a physical addiction to be an alcoholic. It's more about the reason why you drink in the first place. Most people can lose the physical addiction very quickly, but losing the emotional attachment is a much longer process. Think of it this way, alcohol abuse is not the problem by itself, but a symptom of a greater problem. You mentioned that you embarrassed yourself in public. So I'm assuming when you do drink, you can't/won't stop until you are very drunk. This is not a good sign. I would suggest that you try to find a Christian AA. One that does not say a "higher power", but instead one that acknowledges Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. You've got nothing to lose from this. Maybe you could go to that rehab center and ask them to refer you to one, or at least get literature about alcohol abuse (symptoms etc.).
The hardest part about quitting for good is admitting you have a problem. I've seen people take their denial to the grave with them. You have come far, now you need to take it the rest of the way. You are not blazing new trails, my friend, you are going down an old beaten path. There is hope. This post is written by someone who could of written your post 15 years ago. If you do nothing I promise you it will get worse. I don't mean to scare you, but this is the truth. If you just quit and don't deal with the deeper issues, than you're just setting yourself up for a fall. If you have anymore questions just ask. I would be happy to answer if I can.

You're in my prayers
God bless
4JC-Dave
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 08:56:11 AM by 4JC » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 10:46:24 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Seeking_The_Truth,

First, I will be praying for you. I think it is very positive that you recognize your need for Christ. If you are struggling with this decision right now, I pray that you will listen to HIS Holy Word and yield to HIM by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Let Jesus help you forget the past, forgive your sins, and WALK WITH HIM into the future with confidence, joy, and peace. Please do stop everything and make this decision. God will forgive you, and you have a lifetime for friends, family, and loved ones.

You say that you are not addicted to alcohol, but you also say that it has ruined your life. If you aren't addicted to it, you have let it take control of your life away from you. Bluntly, I think it is time to recognize you are addicted to it, and it has become the master over you. I hope you take this in the manner it was intended. It is impossible to say that alcohol is in charge of your life and you don't have a problem or an addiction.

Please don't allow the alcohol to make any more excuses for you, especially those that will keep you in slavery to it. Alcohol is a very cruel drug that eventually destroys the consumer and hurts all the people around them. Please recognize it for what it is, accept Jesus, and pray for help in taking the life God gave you BACK! I'll be praying for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 10:50:46 AM »

Cry Praying for you, Seeking!

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Seeking_the_truth

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 12:37:45 PM »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the concern and prayers. I know I can fight this, but not alone...with God's help and your prayers.

Kiwi, I'd like to thank you for the words of encouragement and a bit of your own testimony. But i don't think I'm being persecuted by anyone. The only persecution comes from myself.

dave, Thanks for the advice and the short lecture on alcoholism

Tom, I have resumed my quiet times and prayers. I'm trying to do it more often. Thanks for reminding me that God is on my side

Willowbirch, thanks.

Love you guys...I'll let you know my progress

Pat
DovesWings

Where will you spend eternity? smoking or Non?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 09:11:44 PM »

Will be praying for you!
My mom drank for years...and just 2 weeks ago(maybe 3)...she stopped cold turkey...and had NO DT's...nothing...she doesn't even crave a drink anymore and drinks water like it is going out of style(she used to HATE water).  Anyhow, she has the Lord totally in her sight now and is right there by my aunts side standing strong in faith (her sister is the one who has cancer is is a Pastor).

God bless Smiley

"For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says Do not fear, I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

In the dark?  Follow the Son!!!
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 10:09:08 PM »

I was born in a christian family, loved and raised to be a good christian. My brother is now a pastor, my father a deacon in Church. I attended Sunday Schools, youth fellowships and Bible Camps. But somewhere on the road, as a curious teenager, I stumbled. I have now been a hard drinker for about 7 years. I am 25 years old now.

I have no right to judge people who drink or has a liking for wine and alcohol. But as for me, I am now reduced to nothing but a shadow of what i used to be. Alcohol has taken away everything I loved. My father has turned his back on me. The only girl I love is suffering because of me. All this because i humiliated myself in public, in the society..everywhere innumerable times. I just can't learn from my mistakes. People say I have many talents- Music, writing, Computers, Academics...But now I have no career because I concentrated more on drinking than my Studies or work.

I NEED HELP! because I"M NOT ADDICTED to alcohol (If i were, I (or my parents) would have admitted myself to a Rehab' center). Friends say it's just DEFIANCE. I guess I NEED GOD first of all, and I NEED YOUR PRAYERS. I'm now taking one step ahead by being a part of this forum. I don't wanna stop here.

Welcome! We're glad you're here-you did the right thing. There are lots of great Christians here who are really great at offering support. Of course we'll pray for you. Have you noticed any patterns to the drinking? Maybe there is some unresolved issue that makes it feel like an escape of some kind. Maybe that would be a good place to start looking.

Many blessings, and welcome. Stick around!

Seeking_the_truth

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 12:43:39 PM »

Guys,
I'm feeling a lot better now. I have not touched the drinks again ever since i joined this forum. I hope I can keep up. I'm winning the battle but the war is not over yet. Thanks for all the prayers and love.

Pat
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 02:40:10 PM »

Glad to hear it!

Blessings to you
Whitehorse

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the