Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What are Your Music Parimeters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are Your Music Parimeters?  (Read 26257 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »

BTW, I really appreciate your tagline Brother Jerry.
Thank you

And you are also welcome for the engaging in the conversation.  Always like to talk....er type.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »

MM

There are some things to note.  First is that no where in the Bible does it say Rock music is bad.  As a matter of fact what the Bible has to say about music is that God created music.  And I feel that qualifies all music, yes even things like death metal.  I speak only of the music and not of the lyrics.  The Bible does not say anything about God creating lyrics, that was left to us. 

Another thing is that based on the Biblical principles since there is nothing specifically stating that certain types of music are good or bad then it is man imposing his judgment on what is good or what is bad...and that is what Got Adam in trouble to begin with.  The Bible gives us very clear moral and ethical boundaries of what is good or bad.  And personally I feel that if something specific is not mentioned then as long as it praises God then it is not my place to cast any sort of judgment upon it.

I have to say that I agree with Brother Jerry.  I enjoy many genres of music.  I listen to many different types of Christian music mostly.  They can be found in the form of rock, reggae, R&B, country, and pop.  I like them all and have quite a vast collection.
I also enjoy alot of different secular music in these genres also.
I wouldn't however put something on if I was in company that might be offended or would cause another to fall.
I totally believe that God knows each of our hearts individually and to say that because I don't listen to a certain type of music,(Heavy Metal would be one!) that you are an unredeemed sinner if you do.

Rock on!

Let us fight the good fight!
allaboutGod

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »

I personally listen to mostly Christian contemporary
I don't see anything wrong with any perticular kind of music though I do think that a person should pay attention to what kind of lyrics they listen to. I feel this way because I think that music can be very influencing to the way a person thinks and thus to how they act because of what they end up metitating on.
I wont condem anyone for listening to any kind of music but I would strongly sugst that it be something that lifts the name of the Lord and is biblicly  sound. I know that most secular music doesnt do anything but glorify some of the most unGodly behavior there is.

Just my humble opinion
   Monte
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »

I personally like older Country (new country is really just rock and roll), Celtic, Hymns, Southern Gospel, and Folk. I never did like music with a heavy beat. I listen to both secular and Christian music, usually on my way to work and back.

I don't have music on continually as most folks do these days. In fact, I once deliberately avoided any music at all for quite a period of time, then listened. It was amazing how much more I enjoyed it! I think we are over-saturated with it today, so that it just becomes background noise. We can't seem to exist without constant noise these days.

I enjoy some contemporary Christian songs, but generally I find it to be "dumbed down" music, with a few words and chords repeated over and over and little real message. Hymns weren't always doctrinally sound, but they usually did have a real message and most of them were about God, not about "me and my relationship with God".

I've never been a big fan of particular performers. In fact, I believe Christian performers should take a backseat to the music and the message, and few do. When a "Christian" artist has their name plastered all over everything and is obviously "putting on a performance", I would rather listen to an amateur who is singing to glorify the Lord. Also, too many "Christian artists" are watering down the message to appeal to the secular world. Without a message they aren't going to reach the secular people, so the only reason to do so is that that is where the money is!

There always seem to be divisions in the church over music. As someone else pointed out, there isn't "good or bad" music, though there are good and bad lyrics. Mostly it is a matter of personal taste. A wise church uses a variety of music. Mine includes both hymns and contemporary, though they seem to avoid Southern Gospel. I manage to get a little Celtic in now and then. People seem to dislike hearing or learning anything new, or singing anything remotely difficult.

Interestingly, in the early days of America, there was little music and much preaching in churches. Instruments weren't allowed - one of my early relatives shocked his community by playing his instrument (a cello, I think) in church in Connecticut! Preaching usually went on for several hours in the morning, and again in the afternoon.

My biggest complaint about the music in my own church is the unwillingness of the musicians to "put a cork in it". Our most recent service lasted from 10:30 to 1 PM, mostly because the worship group made like the energizer bunny. Kids were going nuts and many people just walked out before the service ended.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »

Hello Brother Rhys,

Cheesy   I enjoyed your description of the ongoing discussion about various styles of Christian music. It's interesting to know that our parents and grandparents probably had like discussions. You made quite a few points that I agree with completely. I'm not a spring chicken, so I enjoy the older styles of music, but I know that many of the younger people don't share my tastes. For this reason and many others, I think it's wise for churches to have additional activities for youth and young adults. We probably don't want to know very much about what they think about us older folks. Besides, some of them might be selecting our rest home.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 2:1-2  If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,  2  Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »

What do you get when you play New Age music backwards?

New Age music.  Lips Sealed

Its no joke, and  I could`nt resist  Tongue

If the song lyrics are intelligible and moral, and the instrumental does`nt sound like my cat when I step on his tail, or the grandbaby has climbed into the cupboard with the pots and pans, then I`m cool... otherwise my parimeters scream shut that noise off!

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »

What do you get when you play New Age music backwards?

New Age music.  Lips Sealed

Its no joke, and  I could`nt resist  Tongue

If the song lyrics are intelligible and moral, and the instrumental does`nt sound like my cat when I step on his tail, or the grandbaby has climbed into the cupboard with the pots and pans, then I`m cool... otherwise my parimeters scream shut that noise off!

Grin  I'll second that. Otherwise, my personal tastes are the 60's and 70's for secular music. For Christian music, I like the old fashioned hymns at church and a variety of older Christian music at home. I guess that makes me an old square.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the