Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  JESUS OR SANTA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JESUS OR SANTA  (Read 14836 times)
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:12:24 AM »

This may well have been discussed already over the years, but I would like to see what others think.

I have a writing called JESUS OR SANTA.
In it, I say that Satan created santa and the Easter bunny to take away from what these holy days really stand for. And I state that no Christian should teach their child that santa is real, for first, they are lying to their child...(thou shalt not lie)...and they are perpetuating the lie that satan put forth to deceive people....but you would be surprised how many tell me that it is no big deal.

So, what think you all about this?

God bless you all.....Roy.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:17 AM »

Santa may rock, but Jesus is the Rock. 

Although Santa Claus was originally based upon the Christian figure of Saint Nicholas of Myra, a patron saint of children, today Santa Claus is wholly secular.

My kids, now grown adults know the story of santa.  I believe that parents need to use their own judgment in deciding whether or not to include Santa during the holidays, but here are some things to consider.......  Children who believe that the gifts they receive Christmas morning are from a magical man with unending resources are less likely to appreciate what they have been given, and the sacrifices their parents make in providing them.  Greed and materialism can overshadow the holiday season, which is meant to be about giving, loving, and worshiping God.  Children whose parents are on a tight budget may feel that they have been overlooked by Santa, or even worse, deemed one of the "bad" boys or girls.

An even more troubling aspect of telling our children that Santa comes down the chimney each year to leave their gifts is that it is, obviously, a out and out lie.  We live in a society that believes that lying for the "right" reason is acceptable.  As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, it is not a problem.  This is contrary to what the Bible tells us. Scriptures says.... 1 Peter 3:10 For let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days [good--whether apparent or not] keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile (treachery, deceit).  Of course, telling our children that Santa is real is not a malicious deception, but it is  nevertheless, a lie.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »

I agree but on the same coin, how do you them? If one isn't careful, you could convince them God isn't real.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:42:49 AM »

This extends to far more than just santa and the easter bunny. Our children are taught about mythical characters of all sorts in the public schools and in the media. God has been placed in this category by them also, if not directly so then indirectly even by well meaning people. Children lump them together and we end up with very confused children being unbelievers.

This subject goes well with a thread I posted here:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?topic=17724.0

It is our duty to insure that we teach our children the truth, to lead them to Christ not away from Him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:25:35 AM »

Thank you for the link Pastor....I have read it, and replied to it...
God bless you.

G_G_PRINCESS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

:-*I think it is fine ot make believe and pretend that Santa is real as long as everyone knows the truth.  In my house we tell the true story os Santa Clause, but we also set out the milk and cookies as well.  We all know that there is no such thing as flying reindeer, but we set out carrots for the anyways.  It is good to have such things taht kids can believe in and have fun with as long as you are careful with how you present it to them.   Wink
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:52:32 PM »

Greetings  Royo in the wonderful name of our savior:

The question you asked is one that has been debated in our family many times.
What never fails to amaze me, is that someone will always defend the story of
Satan's Claws, oops, that was santa clause.

This is the way I explained my stance to my wife:

Now son remember it is always best to tell me the truth, did I tell you about a
fat little guy in a red suit that brings you toys?

Remember son if you tell the truth things will always be better, did I tell you
about a rabbit that lays chocolate eggs?

We teach our children much more of how we believe, and how much we
believe in our proffession by what we do.
Too many parents, and too many christians are still in the do what I say, not
what I do mode. Say amen or oh me people.

If I teach my child to tell the truth in all situations, and then turn around and
tell him to believe a lie, what do I really teach him? Our children that Jesus
has entrusted us to nurture, and teach will learn far more quickly by our
example than our words.

Brother E.V.Hill said it so well:   "Preach the gospel every day, and if you have
to, use words!"

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. "

We as christians spend so much time debating useless topics, or rehashing
milk, or fighting each other that we no longer have time to fight our true
enemy! I am sure that this brings him great pleasure.

We wonder why there is no power in our prayers today? We wonder why
so few are coming to the alters? We need again to find our first love, that
all consuming zeal to tell everyone about Jesus, just as someone once told
us!

Let us press on to the meat of the word, and lay aside the milk, Let us grow
in power, true power, and show a world that is waiting for the manifestation
of the son's of God just who we are.

And most importantly, let us teach our children about our home town, and
not the doctrines of this world!

Yours in Yeshua:

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »

I never encouraged my children to believe in Santa and never took them to see the store ones. I always let them know that their presents came from their parents. I guess I was a little selfish and didn't like someone else getting the credit.

I heard a story about a boy who upon learning that Santa wasn't real and that his parents had lied to him said, "And now, what about this Jesus story?" His parents had lied to him about Santa, and now he questioned if Jesus was real. By the way, how many have noticed the similarity between the name "Santa" and the name "Satan"? Just a coincidence as I've been told? Personally I don't think so.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 02:58:32 PM »

I heard a story about a boy who upon learning that Santa wasn't real and that his parents had lied to him said, "And now, what about this Jesus story?" His parents had lied to him about Santa, and now he questioned if Jesus was real.
That is a very good point. It is very hard because it can go either way.
And that santa/satan thing is dumb. You can arrange alot of words and get things like that. Example: God/dog, live/evil

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Chaplain Bob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 08:36:18 PM »

Before you get all worked up about this you need to understand that neither Christmas nor Easter are Biblically endorsed "holy days".  Jesus never told us to celebrate His birth or His resurrection.  They were created by man as part of the Christian religion created by man (not Jesus) with all its traditions, doctrine, dogma, rules and regulations apparently because man needed something more tangible than an invisible God.  So little wonder that the days are perverted by man.  Basically I see it as a non-issue and suggest that at those times of the year we share the love of God with people rather than belly-ache about people destroying our "holy days".

In His Service,
Bob Allen
angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »

i know that some will disagree with me here but i use easter as a way to explain life to my children.

i recently moved to doncaster and as a result i had to leave my lifestock behind.  i had poultry of different types and rabbits as well.  my boys learned that when it comes to birds the egg is the beginning of life,  it is round and has no start or end thus the circle of life has a way of never ending.  my boys saw the eggs from the first day of being laid to the day they hatched out and quite often we had our first chicks on or just before good friday.  we would also have baby rabbits at easter as well. my boys learned that life was precious and i never kept the death of the young from them

both my boys have their own bibles, aged 6 and 8 now, and one day out of the blue my eldest asked if he could talk to me about the bible which i had no problem with.

he told me that when jesus was born it was like the hen laying the egg and hatching it, and when it died it was ok as it meant that it was gone for a reason and that the ones left behind had a good chance of being saved.

for a child who was 6 at the time do you think i have been leading him the right way? he is 8 now. not once did he want to sit down and read the bible with me, instead he chose to read it at bedtime till lights out time and interprete it himself
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:31:04 PM by angel » Logged

look in your heart and know that the lord is always with you
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »

It was wonderful to live in a time where it was innocent and holidays were special because it was a time for family and friends...but more so...I remember no matter what day Christmas fell on...the church had a service and people would go to church in the morning and after church..would be with family open presents...Santa at that time was not a debate because christians did not put him above Jesus nor did America at the time...As a matter of fact...nativitys graced every court house...but..with what men believe to be wisdom, made holidays a big issue to appease those who do not believe in God..the politicians looking for votes that many are responsible for taking God out of this country...If the people only knew...We may never know the exact day Jesus was born...but we know he was...and we may not know the exact day he was crucified...but he was...and we do not know the time he will return but he will...and the reason I know this is true is because His word says so...and that means we do not have to consider any debate over a holiday...we have christmas and easter everyday...for the Lord is with us..
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »

Amen Maryjane,

My family celebrates JESUS CHRIST every day, and we always will. We also do some special and beautiful things with our family and church in holiday seasons. GOD is the honored host, is with us, and HE would approve of what we do. Even this is debated by many Christians these days, but our special times are little more than worship and fellowship. So, we have nothing to be ashamed of and will continue. Some criticize any celebration, regardless of what is done and how it is done. We really don't care and will continue. Others are welcome to avoid these days completely if they wish, but we will use them for worship and to honor GOD. In reality, this should be every day for Christians, not just several days per year or one day a week. We all have much to give thanks for. I've probably seen every side of this issue hotly contested, and it's even a matter of division for many Christians, regardless of what's done or not done. This is really sad.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »

Amen Tom...Those who do not know have no idea words they say are emtied in the wind...but God's Word is forevr and what He said He will do...We look up to the coming of God's love sent to us..who was crucified and rose again and he is coming again...Praise God..every day is closer to seeing our Savior face to face..
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »

It was wonderful to live in a time where it was innocent and holidays were special because it was a time for family and friends...but more so...I remember no matter what day Christmas fell on...the church had a service and people would go to church in the morning and after church..would be with family open presents...Santa at that time was not a debate because christians did not put him above Jesus nor did America at the time...As a matter of fact...nativitys graced every court house...but..with what men believe to be wisdom, made holidays a big issue to appease those who do not believe in God..the politicians looking for votes that many are responsible for taking God out of this country...If the people only knew...We may never know the exact day Jesus was born...but we know he was...and we may not know the exact day he was crucified...but he was...and we do not know the time he will return but he will...and the reason I know this is true is because His word says so...and that means we do not have to consider any debate over a holiday...we have christmas and easter everyday...for the Lord is with us..

Amen, Sister!  As a child, I anxiously awaited Santa and the wonderful toys I would receive.  However, first and foremost, Christmas was a special day to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  It was also a wonderful day to celebrate with family and friends. My older brother and I were always involved in Christmas programs at church, and the 'real' purpose of the day was always emphasized in my family.  When I accidentally discovered the reality of the source of the toys, I was initially disappointed, but took it in stride. 

I also believed in the Easter bunny.  However, as with Christmas, my family always recognized Easter as a special day to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and His wonderful gift of salvation.  Likewise, my older brother and I were always involved in special Easter programs at church, and Jesus was never minimized for Easter candy. 

After I knew the truth, I still enjoyed seeing the excited faces of my two younger brothers as they received their toys on Christmas.  I think most children know the truth by the time they are 8.

I place Santa and the Easter Bunny into the same category as the Tooth Fairy.  I consider these as merely innocent childhood experiences.  I repeated the same with my son, always ensuring he understood the importance of Christmas and Easter as special holy days to celebrate the birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ. 

Unfortunately, the world has corrupted these special days, and the true purpose of Christmas and Easter have been subverted by commercial greed.  I still find no harm in allowing children to have these beliefs, as long as the emphasis is placed on Jesus. 

Early childhood is so brief.  I simply believe in allowing kids to enjoy that stage of life as a carefree and fun time.  Of course, as a parent my primary responsibility is to ensure my child has a strong foundation in Jesus, and that the Lord is acknowledged and worshipped on a daily basis. 

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the