Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  John Wayne "Westerns".....suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Wayne "Westerns".....suggestions  (Read 11899 times)
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

I just watched The Searchers on DVD last night (got it at the library).  I had seen this movie when I was very young and had forgotten most of it.  It is really an excellent movie....directed by John Ford....beautiful scenery, too, of Monument Valley, Arizona.

I know "Stagecoach" is a good John Wayne movie.  But do any of you have any other suggestions of good John Wayne Westerns?

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »

I love the movie 'Quiet man"...My Husband has the John Wayne collection and the most watched one is McClintock...The "Hell Fighters" is really good and based on the true story of Red Adair...a couple of nights ago, we watched "Big Jake"..I love the line..."I thought you were dead"...Even though I love to watch John Wayne..My favorite western movie is "Tombstone"...just when I thought westerns were going to the dogs...Tombstone came out...Have you ever noticed that Sam Elliot fit in that era of time?...
Maryjane
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »

These are in the order I like them.............. Grin Grin Grin

The Quiet Man - One of the best, Wayne ever did.
Donovan's Reef
The Longest Day
Flying Leathernecks
Big Jake
Hell fighters
True Grit
The Alamo
Sands of Iwo Jima
Back to Bataan
Flying Tigers
The Fighting Kentuckian
The High and the Mighty
The Green Berets
Rooster Cogburn
The Shootist - The last movie he made, before his death.
In Harm's Way
The Greatest Story Ever Told

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »

The Shootist is about himself...
I like them in this order..
Quiet Man
Donovan's Reef
Three Godfathers
Sons of Katie Elder
McClintock
Hell Fighters
Brannigan
Green Berets
True Grit
Big Jake
Searchers
El Dorado
The Shootist

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:39:48 PM »

Hey Maryjane, I see we both agree on the first two.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:49:30 PM »

Yeppers..
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »

Thanks to both of you for the good suggestions.  I'll see if the library has some of those....the librarian can see if they are at  any branches all over Los Angeles and have them sent to our branch.

Is McClintock a Western?  I now remember the movie (title) Donovan's Reef but can't remember anything about the movie as I was so young then....just that it's about deep sea divers.  John Wayne was my favorite actor when I was a kid.

I did see The Shootist some years ago, remember the end only.  Smiley

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:30:58 PM »

McClintock is a John Wayne classic...if you have not seen it...please do..you will like it...I think it is great that the lbrary has a good selection of dvd's to check out...Don't you?
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 05:14:42 AM »

I now remember the movie (title) Donovan's Reef but can't remember anything about the movie as I was so young then....just that it's about deep sea divers.  John Wayne was my favorite actor when I was a kid.

The film is gentle, deliberate in pace and pits two screwball comedy typesGrin  the seemingly over-macho but lovable brute and the seemingly stuck-up by basically-goodhearted girl against one another; and from the beginning as his steely spirit and her iron resolve meet sharply , sparks fly. In the film's focused storyline, a youthful, would-be heiress from Boston, Ameiia (Elizabeth Allen), travels from her cold, snowy and overly-formal zone of existence to locate her father, missing since WWII. She had been born near the beginning of that Pacific conflict; but he stayed in French Polynesia and has never seen her. He stands to inherit millions, that is the prospect; she needs to prove that he is "morally unfit" in order to overturn that provision of a will. The assumption is he must be living in sin, he's in paradise--not Boston.

She is met not by her errant papa but by his friend, "Guns" Donovan (John Wayne), an ex-sailor, and a man who who owns the local saloon, 'Donovan's Reef'. What she does not know is the father (Jack Warden) has had three children since, by a Polynesian mother. It takes time, a brawl over a shared birthday, meeting and growing to love the people, some tense scenes with her father, ceremonies, arguments, a water-skiing contretemps involving two sorts of bathing suit representing Boston and Polynesia and an opportunistic play for her by the governor that the girl finally melts--in so far as iron can. She decides it is more logical to stay with Donovan than to deny her feelings, and her love for the island. Donovan spanks her, the Amelia that was; but the action is symbolic, for from this point on they will be equals,; his brawling partner (Lee Marvin) will own 'Gilhooley's Reef' and and they will make a life together where people get along and respect one another's differences.

John Ford is never far from cavalry-post humor, and the build of the romance from a hotly-denied spark through incidents, misassumptions, mutual interactions and learnings prepares us not for surrender but for a warlike alliance at the end; and for a procession of priests, friends, children, Gilhooley, her father, and a huge French policeman bearing her worldly goods to Donovan's house in train behind the happy couple.

Cast members;
John Wayne    ...    Michael Patrick 'Guns' Donovan
Lee Marvin   ...    Thomas Aloysius 'Boats' Gilhooley
Elizabeth Allen   ...    Ameilia Sarah Dedham
Jack Warden   ...    Dr. William Dedham
Cesar Romero   ...    Marquis Andre de Lage
Dick Foran   ...    Australian Navy Officer
Dorothy Lamour   ...    Miss Lafleur

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 08:52:14 PM »

McClintock is a John Wayne classic...if you have not seen it...please do..you will like it...I think it is great that the lbrary has a good selection of dvd's to check out...Don't you?

Oh, yes....the downtown library, where I sometimes go, has a gigantic room of videos and a smaller room of DVDs and music CDs.  I just got a DVD player so have been watching movies when there is nothing much on tv.

Today I got Stagecoach and The Kingdom of Heaven....I hope the latter one is alright for me.  (I usually don't watch the "R" rated ones...but it's set during "the crusades" and it got 2 "thumbs up", so thought I'd try it.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »

Most of the public libraries I have been to have had a number of old movies to let out. The local one here has "The Cross and the Switchblade" which is a 1969 movie starring Pat Boone. It is a true story based on the character Pat Boone played, Pastor David Wilkerson. I first read the book in 1963 and saw the movie in 1969. My wife and I watch it still. I use it extensively with a number of the neighbor kids. It is a great witnessing tool as well as a great family movie.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »

Most of the public libraries I have been to have had a number of old movies to let out. The local one here has "The Cross and the Switchblade" which is a 1969 movie starring Pat Boone. It is a true story based on the character Pat Boone played, Pastor David Wilkerson. I first read the book in 1963 and saw the movie in 1969. My wife and I watch it still. I use it extensively with a number of the neighbor kids. It is a great witnessing tool as well as a great family movie.

I don't usually watch TBN but I happened to tune in one night when they showed The Cross and the Switchblade!  Quite an oldie (Pat Boone looked so young)....but a good story.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »

The Cross and the Switchblade is a classic...As well as Hiding Place....I remember a song called.."Wish We'd All Been Ready"...somehow these old movies reminded me of that song...I guess the period all these came out...
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »

Last night I watched Stagecoach....it was in black and white....somehow I thought it had been "colorized" as well.  You could tell it was an older movie....I enjoyed The Searchers much, much more....with The Searchers you could not tell it was an older movie.  Really excellent.  Maybe I would have enjoyed Stagecoach more in color.  Smiley

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »

Stagecoach is in Technicolor...

Have you ever seen Cat Ballou?...I love the horse that kept leaning...

I also think the movie...Paint Your Wagon is good too...

Have you ever seen North to Alaska?  I meant to put it on my list...ever since my stroke...I have a little trouble with memory...but..getting better....Tonight I am watching a true story..."King Maker"  My husband got it free from work...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the