Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Legalism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legalism  (Read 950 times)
Lioness
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »

Where should we as Christians draw the line between legalism and licence?  I know sometimes we're so uptight over every little nit-picky thing ...it's almost like we're uptight and afraid that if we accidentally step one inch off center God is going to club us over the head. We're constantly worried about the opinions and standards of those around us rather than discerning the real and acceptable standards of God. I think legalism can be just as damaging as licence because it puts people in a little box and keeps them from spreading their wings and becoming everything they can be in Christ. Christians aren't perfect and they aren't always going to conduct themselves in a perfect manner. Christians get tired, and grumpy, and depressed, and that's ok because they are HUMAN.  We need to leave a little wiggle room for others and ourselves or how on earth are we ever going to enjoy this life while being the imperfect people that we are?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

Paul says it best:

1Co 6:12  All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: ....

We are under grace, not under the law. When we do things that are of a nature to make others stumble or for an occasion of the flesh then we have abused the law of liberty.

Gal 5:13  For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

1Co 8:9  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Many today use the first part of 1Cor 6:12 to excuse their desire to sin, to do whatever feels good to them. Our desire as Christians should be to serve Him not the things and desires of this world.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »

Where should we as Christians draw the line between legalism and licence?  I know sometimes we're so uptight over every little nit-picky thing ...it's almost like we're uptight and afraid that if we accidentally step one inch off center God is going to club us over the head. We're constantly worried about the opinions and standards of those around us rather than discerning the real and acceptable standards of God. I think legalism can be just as damaging as licence because it puts people in a little box and keeps them from spreading their wings and becoming everything they can be in Christ. Christians aren't perfect and they aren't always going to conduct themselves in a perfect manner. Christians get tired, and grumpy, and depressed, and that's ok because they are HUMAN.  We need to leave a little wiggle room for others and ourselves or how on earth are we ever going to enjoy this life while being the imperfect people that we are?

Pastor Roger gave you some good answers.

Also, I think as long as we are trying to walk in the Spirit, that is the important thing.  If we should like you say get tired, grumpy and depressed, I believe God realizes our human condition and still loves us....as we are accepted in Christ (imputed righteousness).   We just shouldn't make these things a natural or regular way of life.  Also, in the case of depression, this can sometimes be a medical condition.

The most important thing is to love one another (and ourselves as accepted in Christ).

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 09:09:52 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the