Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Huge storm spawns tornado as it pushes East
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Huge storm spawns tornado as it pushes East  (Read 391 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »

Huge storm spawns tornado as it pushes East 
Weather blamed for 2 deaths as Northeast braces for rain, snow, flooding

A severe weather system blamed for two deaths plowed eastward Saturday, rattling the Gulf states with strong thunderstorms as the Northeast prepared for possible coastal flooding.

The storm blew across the southern Plains on Friday, piling snow a foot deep in Kansas and raking Texas with high wind.

“I felt my house start shaking like the wind and I ran in here and grabbed my little girl,” Amanda Rymer, 21, said in Haltom City, Texas. “As soon as I moved her, the roof fell in right where she was standing.”

The storm tore roofs off houses in Rymer’s neighbor and destroyed porches and garages. About a dozen tractor-trailer rigs were blown onto their sides.

One man was killed in Fort Worth by a pile of lumber that fell on him from his truck during the storm, and a police officer in Irving died when his patrol car slid on wet pavement and struck a utility pole, authorities said.

By Saturday morning, the system was spreading rain from Louisiana to Virginia and across much of the Ohio Valley. Lines of strong thunderstorms rolled across Louisiana and Mississippi into northern Alabama.

‘Very odd for this time of year’
The weather system was forecast to strengthen when it reaches the East Coast on Sunday and form a nor’easter, a storm that follows the coast northward, with northeasterly wind driving waves and heavy rain.

“This is very odd for this time of year,” National Weather Service meteorologist John Koch said Saturday in New York. “This is something that you would expect to see more in the middle of winter.”

A flood watch was posted for the New York City region, as the weather service forecast 2 to 4 inches of rain Sunday with wind gusting to 50 mph. Snow and sleet were possible inland, Koch said.

The combination of rain, onshore wind and the approach of one of the spring’s highest tides on Tuesday could add up to significant coastal surges, Koch said.

Forecaster Brian Korty said the entire eastern half of the country would feel the brunt of it in the coming days, calling it the kind of storm that happens “once every 20 years.”

Winds up to 25 mph were forecast for the Carolinas on Saturday before the storm was to hit the Northeast with heavy snow or rain by Sunday. Forecasters also warned of possible flooding.

‘Potential for a very bad storm’
The New York National Guard alerted units that might be needed for emergency work, and Long Island’s Suffolk County told emergency workers to be ready for possible duty.

“There is potential for a very bad storm,” said Joseph Williams, Suffolk County’s commissioner of fire, rescue and emergency services.

Snow continued falling Saturday in eastern Kansas, where some schools and businesses closed Friday as blowing snow created whiteout conditions. Nearly a foot of snow fell near Syracuse, Kan.

NASCAR Nextel Cup qualifying races at Texas Motor Speedway were halted and thousands of fans were advised to move to safety as tornado sirens blared at the speedway in Fort Worth.

A tornado was spotted near Bedford, a suburb between Dallas and Forth Worth, though no damage was reported, the National Weather Service said.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the