Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  'Trust in the Lord with all your heart' tops poll of favourite Bible verses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart' tops poll of favourite Bible verses  (Read 5477 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:49:55 PM »

'Trust in the Lord with all your heart' tops poll of favourite Bible verses

By Jonathan Petre, Religion Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:44am BST 07/04/2007

A Verse from Proverbs, exhorting people to "trust in the Lord" rather than in their own understanding, has been voted the favourite Biblical quote in a survey.

The poll by Wycliffe UK, a charity that translates Bibles, found that although the "Good Book" may be less well read today, thousands still draw inspiration from its pages. It also found that the most popular verses tend to be those that offer Christians reassurance that they can overcome life's vicissitudes with faith.

Top of the list was: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths."

In second place, from Jeremiah, is: "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, said his favourite was from 2 Corinthians 3:18.

It reads: "All of us have had that veil removed so that we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord.

"And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect his glory even more."

Dr Williams said the verse "tells us that what God reveals in Jesus is nothing less than his full, true nature, and that we, if we let his Spirit work in us, come to reflect that. It is the most daring promise in the Bible."

Sir Cliff Richard chose Philippians 4:13: "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength".

Linvoy Primus, a defender for Portsmouth FC, picked the quote from Jeremiah, the second most popular, saying he had been sent it by a supporter when he became a Christian.

Pam Rhodes, the television presenter, said her favourite was from Isaiah 49: 15,16: "Can a mother forget her nursing child? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands."

She said she found the verse comforting because it showed that God knew her, warts and all.

Geoff Knot, the director of Wycliffe UK, said: "It's great to see that so many people still find the Bible relevant to their day to day lives and gain encouragement, assurance, hope, comfort and wisdom from what it contains."

'Trust in the Lord with all your heart' tops poll of favourite Bible verses

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »

my favourite is in my signature

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »

I love this topic!

David James... that too is one of my all time faves.   Also my signature verse is a fave too!
        Hope otherss will jump in and share as well.

ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:07:24 AM »

All of the verse mentioned are great! duh, like some verses are not!

I think my favorite scripture is one that so many people overlook. We are
taught from the time that we are little children to rattle off, I mean
quote John 3:16; but very few people can tell you what the very next
verse says!!!!

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Just as strong a message, but too often skipped over.

Thank you Lord that when I was rejecting you, you did not condemn me!!!

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:07:33 AM »

I like to keep things simple but with power behind it.

John 11:35 Jesus wept

There is just something about God crying about what we are going through that just means so much to me.  It lets me know that my God is a personal God.  He did not create and leave, but is here beside me and cries when I cry and cares about me and what is going on in my life.  Jesus knew what happened, and what He was about to do...but yet He saw how much Lazarus meant to the people around Him.  And He wept with them.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 04:24:14 AM »

My own favorite is Ecclesiastes 3:1 TO EVERYTHING there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven:

And the rest...... Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 1TO EVERYTHING there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven: 2 A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted, 3 A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to break down and a time to build up, 4 A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 A time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,  6 A time to get and a time to lose, a time to keep and a time to cast away, 7 A time to rend and a time to sew, a time to keep silence and a time to speak, 8 A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »

One of my favorites relates to faith...thus, Faithin1, and my signature.  My faith is renewed everytime I read Hebrews 11.  Another scripture I simply love is John 11:25-16.

11:25  Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
11:26  And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.      

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 03:41:42 AM »

There are many wonderful verses in the Bible that I consider my favorite.  Cheesy
One of them is in my sig line and all of them are on you sig lines too  Cheesy Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:59:14 AM »

I have no real favorite as I deem them all very important and meaningful to me. One that I look to daily and attempt to achieve though is:

2Ti 2:24  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
2Ti 2:25  In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
2Ti 2:26  And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

This one is hanging on my wall next to my computer.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the