Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Died on Friday but rose on Sunday? I disagree
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Died on Friday but rose on Sunday? I disagree  (Read 4878 times)
David_james
« on: March 31, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »

Mattew 12:40 For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights, so I, the Son of Man, will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

So if Friday is the day our Lord died, he would have risen on Monday!
What about the 3 days? Easily explained.
Late Friday to late Saturday day one
Late Saturday to late Sunday day two
Late Sunday to late Monday day three
He rose Monday morning, on the third day!
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »

Mattew 12:40 For as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights, so I, the Son of Man, will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights.

So if Friday is the day our Lord died, he would have risen on Monday!
What about the 3 days? Easily explained.
Late Friday to late Saturday day one
Late Saturday to late Sunday day two
Late Sunday to late Monday day three
He rose Monday morning, on the third day!

At an apologetics forum, I read that the Jews had a different way of computing days.  They said that the Jews considered a partial day as one day.

Anyone else have some more input on this, to explain the 3 nights?

I just believe what the Lord said...but do realize some others have questions sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:37:51 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:38:56 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

We have numerous detailed threads on the forum about the Sabbath controversy, but there really isn't any controversy.

1 - We are not under the Law - Rather GRACE.

2 - JESUS CHRIST is LORD over all days, not just one.

3 - Christians rest in JESUS CHRIST 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 14:5 NASB  One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Romans 14:6 NASB  He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

russ44k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:32:53 AM »

Debp thats correct Ive allways been  taught that a part of a day is counted as a day. Its like saying Ive worked all day but yet may have only worked 8 hours ,yet we still call it a day.

B= basic
I= instructions
B= before
L= leaving
E=earth
David_james
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:27:44 AM »

but it still says 3 nights
Friday night Saturday night and Sunday night
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

This is something that has stumped theologians for many years and has caused many divisions in the body. Jesus said that He would rise again in three days:

Mar 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

We also know when He arose:

Mat 28:1  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Many have used this to substantiate that their denomination is "worshiping correctly" and others are sinning in their manner of worship. We know that Jesus does not lie, He was in the grave for three days and arose and is now living. As Brother Tom said,

1 - We are not under the Law - Rather GRACE.

2 - JESUS CHRIST is LORD over all days, not just one.

3 - Christians rest in JESUS CHRIST 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »

At an apologetics forum, I read that the Jews had a different way of computing days.  They said that the Jews considered a partial day as one day.

This is true.

From Barnes Commentary:

Three days and three nights -
It will be seen in the account of the resurrection of Christ that he was in the grave but two nights and a part of three days.  This computation is, however, strictly in accordance with the Jewish mode of reckoning. If it had “not” been, the Jews would have understood it, and would have charged our Saviour as being a false prophet, for it was well known to them that he had spoken this prophecy, Mat_27:63. Such a charge, however, was never made; and it is plain, therefore, that what was “meant” by the prediction was accomplished. It was a maxim, also, among the Jews, in computing time, that a part of a day was to be received as the whole. Many instances of this kind occur in both sacred and profane history. See 2Ch_10:5, 2Ch_10:12; Gen_42:17-18. Compare Est_4:16 with Est_5:1.

The Esther comarison is a good example of partial days being said as 3 whole days.

Blessings!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

The real controversy involves various churches arguing about what day of the week should be observed as the Sabbath. There are two camps: one saying that the Sabbath should be Saturday and one saying that the Sabbath should be Sunday. There's a much larger camp that says every day belongs to the LORD, and we rest in CHRIST 7 days a week.

The Sabbath was Jewish Law under Moses, and we are no longer under the Law of Moses. JESUS CHRIST died on the CROSS as a perfect Sacrifice, and Christians have the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD living in our hearts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Christians have access to the THRONE OF GRACE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Christians are a bought and paid for possession of JESUS CHRIST, and JESUS CHRIST owns us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I give thanks for this wonderful and beautiful FACT AND TRUTH. GOD is with us and in us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we are members of an eternal church not made with human hands, THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. CHRIST HIMSELF is the head over this ETERNAL CHURCH and we are members of HIS BODY. It doesn't get any better than this. We are children of the KING OF KINGS, and we have immediate access to HIS THRONE OF GRACE 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Matthew 22:36-40  NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB  There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:34:01 PM »

but it still says 3 nights
Friday night Saturday night and Sunday night

David, I think the important thing is that we believe that Christ died and rose as He predicted He would.

If you want to investigate Matthew 12:40 more so, you might try reading some of the Bible commentaries at www.heartlight.org  Just type in your verse and several commentaries will come up, too.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 08:23:41 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, we must keep in mind that there was a Jewish calendar and a Julian calendar. Trying to figure out what day exactly Jesus was crucified and what day He was resurrected, should not make us skeptical of the fact that God's Word says that Jesus was in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. The important thing to keep in mind here is that Jesus Christ is Risen.

We have to keep in mind that there are many things that we will not understand fully while we are still on earth. But we MUST keep our eyes fixed on the price Jesus paid for us and accept His sacrifice by faith.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »

There's a much larger camp that says every day belongs to the LORD, and we rest in CHRIST 7 days a week.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that Jesus Christ is Risen.

We have to keep in mind that there are many things that we will not understand fully while we are still on earth. But we MUST keep our eyes fixed on the price Jesus paid for us and accept His sacrifice by faith.

a big FAT......

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:38:22 PM »

Brothers and Sisters, we must keep in mind that there was a Jewish calendar and a Julian calendar. Trying to figure out what day exactly Jesus was crucified and what day He was resurrected, should not make us skeptical of the fact that God's Word says that Jesus was in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. The important thing to keep in mind here is that Jesus Christ is Risen.

I believe the Word of God and have faith in what Jesus said.....but there are some that try to use this verse to discredit Christianity because the 3 days are understandable (partial days counted as one day)...but the 3 nights are harder to explain.

As I said, I believe what the Bible says....but sometimes we do need to try to answer the question's others may have....although we ourselves take it by faith.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

For those who are interested in the apologetic aspect of 3 days, and 3 nights, I just finished watching Hal Lindsey's latest editorial and his entire show is about this very discussion.

He shows how historically, the Jewish feasts of passover fit precisely into the passover week that Jesus was crucified, AND explains  the 3 days and 3 nights in the tomb.   Superb show, I highly recommend watching if you want to be able to answer this question for those who might have questions about this particular item in scripture.  It will dash your "good Friday" celebrations though... Cheesy

http://www.hallindsey.org/  see the April 6th, 2007 video.

Blessings!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

Hi 2T, The most important thing for all Christians should not be what day it was that Jesus was crucified, what really matters is that it was prophecy and that we were told in the Word of God it happened, I thank God for the sacrifice of His only begotten Son, and I thank my Lord Jesus for carrying my sins and dying on the cross for me. To cleanse me of all my sins ... it is important to remember that it HAD to be Jesus Who would die for our sins it could not be anyone else. Jesus' Blood is the ONLY Blood that can cleanse not just me, or you or a few, but every man, woman, and child from the beginning of creation even until His return through out history once and for all. And then to make sure that sacrifice was COMPLETE Jesus raised from the dead and ascended presented that sacrifice before God on our behalf making it complete. Satisfying once and for all time the redemption of sins.

Celebrating the days is not what is important what is important is what we are celebrating. Hallelujah.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »

Hi 2T, The most important thing for all Christians should not be what day it was that Jesus was crucified, what really matters is that it was prophecy and that we were told in the Word of God it happened, I thank God for the sacrifice of His only begotten Son, and I thank my Lord Jesus for carrying my sins and dying on the cross for me. To cleanse me of all my sins ... it is important to remember that it HAD to be Jesus Who would die for our sins it could not be anyone else. Jesus' Blood is the ONLY Blood that can cleanse not just me, or you or a few, but every man, woman, and child from the beginning of creation even until His return through out history once and for all. And then to make sure that sacrifice was COMPLETE Jesus raised from the dead and ascended presented that sacrifice before God on our behalf making it complete. Satisfying once and for all time the redemption of sins.

Celebrating the days is not what is important what is important is what we are celebrating. Hallelujah.

This is very true but we also need to be able to answer the questions of "Doubting Thomas' ". Many have overcome their doubts when reasonable explanations have been given to them on supposed scriptural inconsistencies.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the