Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How Jesus Should be Portrayed By Us
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Jesus Should be Portrayed By Us  (Read 555 times)
Romans8_1

Hello

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 11:31:34 PM »

This is part question, part statement...

How should we portray Christ and/or His word to the unbelievers?

Here is what concerns me.  I see someone picket outside a gay parade (or something) with signs that say "You're going to Hell" (or something like that).  That just makes my skin crawl.  Does anyone really think anyone is going to convert over that.  When I read on other boards where "Christians" show up and say "You're going to hell" and just mostly flame unbelievers with self-righteous language ... it just makes me cringe.  Where's the love?  Even if one has love in their heart when they say it, don't they realize that it doesn't look like love?  Yes, I think there is a time to be blunt, and there is a time to cut to the chase.  But has anyone ever brought someone to Christ by telling them "They are going to hell unless they repent right now."  To be honest that is not what brought me to Christ.  If we listen to how most people came to Christ (including us), it would be through relationships with people we knew.  People who showed Christ to us in the way they lived and loved.  It reminds me of that Avril Lavigne song where she says "I don't know who you are, but I'm with you."  That is what Jesus wants us to do.  To simply love each other.  Believers and unbelievers.  Remember, we were all unbelievers at some point also.  So as we love those who don't know Christ, we show Christ.  As we love them and don't judge or condemn them (as if we ever had that power) ...  As we just live and love and show Christ instead of scare them to Christ ...  As we get to know them and their story and their life and accept them lovingly, instead of trying to convert them in next couple of days and then giving up and moving on ...  As we do the former, and not the latter we show what Christ is all about.  It's about love, not judgeing.  We must look at how we are portrayed, and the unfortunate truth is, we have earned many of the negative labels that have been put on us.  If you are not one of these Christians, then I point this out so that as you see one, that you lovingly correct them and remind them what being a Christian is all about.  Would it be more effective to spend 10 minutes each with 200 different people or to spend 200 minutes with 10 different people.  I believe to be a true witness (as we think of the word) is not about numbers, but how we live and portray Christ.  You can be a witness and never open your mouth or say that you are a Christian.  I'm not saying that we are to be quite, but I am saying that we need to analyze how we are portraying Christ.  Here's an example.  Have you ever said to a non-believer "Well, I'll just pray for you then."  Do you understand how that sounds to them.  It sound very condensending and self-righteous.  Maybe that is how some Christians intend it to sound.  If you're going to pray for them, then just do it.  You don't have to tell them.  Unless you really know them, I don't know how you could ever phrase that so that it sounds positive to them and not negative and mean.

Well, I know it's late and I probably rambled on, but let us really look at what we say.  Unless we say it in total Christ-like love, then don't say it.  If what you say has any hint of self-righteousness, judgemental, or sarcasm ... then please just don't say it.  Christ will not bless that language and you will end up pushing them more away.  Unless that is what you want, at least recognize what is happening.

I love you all and I hope I didn't come across too strong.  You are my brothers and sisters in Christ and we may step on each others toes from time to time, but we all have the same goal in mind.  We are to encourage each other and to build each other up.  I am not accusing anyone here.  I am just pointing out some observations I have made elsewhere and wanted to pass along those observations in hopes they may help you or you can use this knowledge to help other Christians who are hurting the cause.

Goodnight and God Bless.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 05:55:52 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Romans8_1,

I certainly agree with your post, but you may not be aware of the other side of the coin. Christians Unite has recently weathered an organized attack of trolls who went Christian hunting and tried to destroy Christians Unite. If you look through the message threads, you will still see evidence of the hunt. We may still have a few on the board.

There are others on the board that many Christians have been working with for a lengthy period of time. It is many times difficult to determine if they are lost and looking for help or if they are the devil seeking to devour. As time passes, you may see efforts of tough love, and you may also see rebuke.

I sincerely look forward to fellowship with you. I also welcome your approach of calm and Christian love. We have more need of that, regardless of the intentions of the person we are conversing with.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the