Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Any one know "the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees" ? Mat 5:20
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any one know "the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees" ? Mat 5:20  (Read 1432 times)
apos

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

I believe that Pharisee is good man, they observe the Law and obey it strickyly.

I believe that any jews will NOT agree with Jesus and tell us that the accusation of Jesus is a FALSE one.

How can Jesus and John the Baptist tell a completely different story?

Anyone know?
1. based on historical-FACT
2. based on SPIRITUAL insight that Jesus and John the Baptist HAD!

Acts of one scribe or pharisee does not represent all of them, but Jesus appears address it for ALL of them (Nicodemus is excluded  Grin).
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

Hi apos,

The scribes and Pharisees were well known for their support of the Old Testaments laws and, for the most part, their adherence to those laws. In the following verses to the one that you reference we see more of what Christ meant by that. Jesus is telling them that their righteousness was superficial and that true righteousness was much deeper inside. As Jesus later told the Pharisees in Mat 23, they were cleaning the outside of the cup and leaving the inside undone. It is the heart that needs to be cleaned and we cannot that do that ourselves. It is the shed blood of Jesus Christ that makes us clean, it is His righteousness and nothing that we can do of our own.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »

I believe that Pharisee is good man, they observe the Law and obey it strickyly.

Acts of one scribe or pharisee does not represent all of them, but Jesus appears address it for ALL of them (Nicodemus is excluded  Grin).

The “Jewish religious leaders” a.k.a. the “scribes and Pharisees.” Customarily vilified as pompous, power hungry, controlling, self-righteous legalists who loved themselves much more than God; what’s interesting to note is how most of them did not start out that way. Most of the Pharisees actually began as sincere, devout, God-fearing men who simply sought to live holy lives. For them this meant constructing safeguards against sin and heresy, not so different from well-meaning Christians who construct detailed accountability checklists.

Still, you have to admit that abiding by the checklist had its own inherent dangers. Failure to comply runs the risk of reproach and shame; but even worse, successful compliance ran the risk of pride, warping people previously humbled by grace into those who don’t need grace anymore. Human nature being what it is, it’s not that hard to see how a good Pharisee could go so bad.

John 7:19-23 Did not Moses give you the Law? And yet not one of you keeps the Law. [If that is the truth] why do you seek to kill Me [for not keeping it]?  20 The crowd answered Him, You are possessed by a demon! [You are raving!] Who seeks to kill You?  21 Jesus answered them, I did one work, and you all are astounded.  22 Now Moses established circumcision among you--though it did not originate with Moses but with the previous patriarchs--and you circumcise a person [even] on the Sabbath day.  23 If, to avoid breaking the Law of Moses, a person undergoes circumcision on the Sabbath day, have you any cause to be angry with (indignant with, bitter against) Me for making a man's whole body well on the Sabbath?

There Jesus healed a man who had been paralyzed for 38 years. Yet rather than rejoice over the miraculous cure, the Pharisees got all mad because Jesus cured on the Sabbath!

John 5:5-8 5There was a certain man there who had suffered with a deep-seated and lingering disorder for thirty-eight years.  6 When Jesus noticed him lying there [helpless], knowing that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, Do you want to become well? [Are you really in earnest about getting well?]  7 The invalid answered, Sir, I have nobody when the water is moving to put me into the pool; but while I am trying to come [into it] myself, somebody else steps down ahead of me.  8 Jesus said to him, Get up! Pick up your bed (sleeping pad) and walk!

However the Pharisees had lost focus on the big picture, choosing instead to short-sighted and obsess over the details. Consequently a checklist of prohibitions ensued. It included but was not limited to no carrying, no sowing, plowing, binding, grinding, sifting, baking, washing, drying, slicing, dicing, writing, erasing, making a loop, starting a fire, stopping a fire, opening a book, riding in a boat, tearing paper, tying knots, picking bones out of a fish, or combing your hair.

Jesus’ retort in verse 22, it seems as if his aim was against a comparable pretense of obedience on the Pharisees’ part. “Because Moses gave you circumcision,” Jesus said, “you circumcise your sons on the Sabbath. Now if a male can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for completely curing a man on the Sabbath?” Ostensibly, the logic runs something like this: Circumcision could technically be classified as work inasmuch as it involves (you know) slicing. Nevertheless, the Pharisees regularly circumcised on the Sabbath. By contrast Jesus does one work. The Pharisees make Jesus out to be a bigger lawbreaker than they were!

Jesus came, as he said, not to abolish the law but fulfill the Law.

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.

apos

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

DW,

Thansk for reply, and it help me to rememer those verses. Now, I move inbetween the lines which is much more piercing. Below points are the implementation of news behind the news of Jesus harsh words toward Pharisee (unless u can not read it).

1. a personal question, are you ABLE to see/identify the blue print behind those Pharisee whose reject Jesus? This blue print will help us to identify our OWN shortcoming. I am developing it. Your opinion does NOT represent your church nor ministry nor denomination.

2. One well known 'argument' is the book Surprised by the Power of the Spirit: Books: Jack S. Deere, he was a professor of Dallas theology (which is reject apostle and prophet etc) and now he is with a very prophetic group where he performs miracles and PROVE that the former theology is wrong (aka apostle and prophet still exist). Peter Wagner advocate Jack Deere. Ofcourse the counter book is "satisfy by ...".

3. At end of Jesus ministry, Pharisee community is divided into two camps (forget which verse in Acts). It is obvious some Pharisee goes with new wine skin of this Jesus, other stay with the old wine skin. For me, the key is that make some Pharisee so stick with old wine skin is lack of undestanding in interpretation of Law (for us now is the Bible) and 'dishonesty' (in church, it is in form of defending own theology eventhough it is proven wrong, like point2 above).

4. If my understanding is correct, the blue print of those 'bad' Pharisee (2000years ago) is now very present in our modern church right now as point2 prove it, where people still defend own old wine skin/theology instead to embrace the new one. I do not imply that today leader is Pharisee, but the blue print behind the mind and attitude that make them can NOT accept a MORE proper theology (one todays example is is rejecting apostle and prophet). I believe that every leader of our church HAVE GOOD MOTIVATION and CONDUCT, eventhough when you are a leader of 1500 churches then you will see that some just work for money.

5. Is is possible for us to identify those blue print and open it to public in order to FREE people from (bad) theology bondage?

I expect a technical answer with deep illumination, not just a superficial one --> like saying "have faith in God" but 99% of member never get some obvious experience of FAITH (except the born again Grin) but simply try to fitting some co-incidents here and there as proof of (cheap) 'faith'. Unfortunately, most people will quote "hearing the word" again this is superficial Cheesy
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »

Faith in God is in no form "cheap". There is false faith but not cheap faith. There is also a misguided faith. i.e. If you are not healed of all physical infirmities then you don't have a rich enough faith.

Faith is not about getting gifts of the spirit. It is not about being physically healthy or rich. Faith in God is having faith in Him even when those things may not come to us in this worldly life. It is having the faith that He will see us through in the end of this fleshly life, the faith that He will keep His promise to us of eternal life.

When Job lost his wife, his children, his animal, all of his earthly riches he did not give up nor turn his back on God. That is true faith.

Mar 8:11  And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.
Mar 8:12  And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

Luk 11:29  And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
Luk 11:30  For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Joh 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:44:41 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 11:46:34 PM »

Hi apos,

I just did some reading on Jack S. Deere. He is a supporter of a different gospel than what is taught in the Bible. He is also a supporter of the Latter Rain and the Manifest Sons of God which is nothing less than a false cult. It is difficult to tell from your post. Are you saying that you support Jack S. Deere's teachings?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »

This thread is locked.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the