Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286811 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't  (Read 33913 times)
spokenword

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »

The tithe belongs to the Lord. God commands us to tithe. Do we dare to rob God? There will be no thiefs entering into the kingdom of heaven.Thats the number one reason why you should tithe. Shocked
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »

The tithe belongs to the Lord. God commands us to tithe. Do we dare to rob God? There will be no thiefs entering into the kingdom of heaven.Thats the number one reason why you should tithe. Shocked

Hello SpokenWord,

I see that you are new, so WELCOME!

We have numerous discussions on the forum that you should find interesting. There was a thief being crucified on a Cross next to JESUS, and we know where that thief went. In fact, all of us are sinners. JESUS CHRIST and the CROSS are the ONLY reason why any of us are forgiven, and Faith in HIM is the only way. NO amount of good works or giving will get someone into Heaven.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 3:2-3 NASB  This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

Romans 5:17-18 NASB  For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.  So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

Romans 10:3-4 NASB  For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

1 Corinthians 2:2-5 NASB  For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:09:07 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

cheryljones
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 12:52:01 AM »

One thing I really believe in IS tithing.  It is the only place (in Malachi) where God says to prove Him...the rest of the time He is proving us.  I personally have experienced MANY blessings from tithing.  Try it.  "Taste and see that the LORD is good."  And, Jesus said (regarding tithing and mercy and the love of God) "These things you ought to have done (tithing) and not have left the others (mercy and the love of God) undone."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:13:27 AM by cheryljones » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »

The word tithe in Hebrew, ma‛ăśêr  ma‛ăśar  ma‛aśrâh, simply means a tenth. In Mat 23:23 the Greek word was apodekatoō, meaning to pay as a debtor or to take as a creditor. We don't see the use of this word at any time after Jesus gave is all for us on the cross. Why did Jesus teach this in Matthew? It was because the written law (the Mosaic law) still pertained.

Gal 4:4  But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
Gal 4:5  To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

If we search in the time after the cross we no longer see the word tithe pertaining to Christians. There is no commandment telling us to tithe nor specifying a certain amount. Instead we do see the word "give".

2Co 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

We do see examples of giving to support the Apostles but we also see where the Apostles worked to earn their keep so that they would not be a burden to the people:

1 Cor 16:1-2

There are other examples of also giving to the needy.

Does this mean that we sin if we give a tithe (tenth) of our income? Only so if God has laid it on our heart to give a different amount (more or less) or if we do so with the intent that it is an obligation (grudgingly).

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cheryljones
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 05:52:03 PM »

To me, tithing is the 10% that belongs to the Lord.  Giving is over the 10%.  I give as well and my experience has been that the more I give, the more I receive.
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »

Hello RBKay,

Everything we have is a blessing from GOD, so we really could say why not 20% or 30%.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:6-7 NASB  Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

Hello Tom

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. What would you say about a cheerful giver giving 1/2 of 1% without grudging?

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007, 10:46:18 PM »

Jesus did not debate the tithe...he gave the tithe...
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »

Jesus did not debate the tithe...he gave the tithe...

He also did away with it.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

Why don't we all just do as we have purposed in our hearts?  Smiley

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »

I am not a debator...I love to give to the Lord for it furthers the ministry of the gospel...Every pastor..missionary...one in need is encouraged by our giving to the Lord that they can be bless those to go on and to have the support of the body for the support of the gospel...That is why I tithe and would gladly tithe more...I do not think I could come up with 10 reasons not to tithe but can give every reason to reach this world that is dying with life and life is in the gospel...It is where my heart is...and my treasure is...for nothing in this world will last...and we will turn to dust...but our souls will live forever and we shall see God...
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »

I do not think I could come up with 10 reasons not to tithe but can give every reason to reach this world that is dying with life and life is in the gospel...It is where my heart is...and my treasure is...for nothing in this world will last...and we will turn to dust...but our souls will live forever and we shall see God...
AMEN sister, AMEN

On another note, I got in the tithing sunday, fresh strawberries.  Durning the year, I normally get quite a bit of fresh fruit, and veggies.

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord.

The New Testament says nothing to change God's instruction on tithing. The tithing is holy and still belongs to God.

If we do not worship God with our money, first fruits, we do not really worship God. Job, Abraham and his descendants, and others living before the giving of the Law, knew that worshiping God involved sacrificing of their substance.

1 Corinthians 9:14 [On the same principle] the Lord directed that those who publish the good news (the Gospel) should live (get their maintenance) by the Gospel.

Tithing is God's method of supporting His ministry.  First Corinthians 9:14 says those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel "even so" as the priests of the Old Testament lived from their temple service. God gave the tithe to them (Numbers 18:21). To be "even so" today requires tithing to continue.

Tithing is a continual reminder God is your source.  Tithing acknowledges in a tangible way the Lord's ownership of us and all we have. It is recognition He deserves.

Anyone who receives Christ Jesus must receive Him as He is: Lord. By definition a Christian is one who has received Jesus Christ. Since He is Lord, when we receive Him He becomes Lord of our life. As Lord of our life, Jesus has complete say about what we do with all our money.

Here is a question for y'all.............. Which do you trust more, Jesus or money??

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »

Let us not confuse tithing with giving. The word tithing means tenth. It was a part of the Mosaic law. In the New Testament we only see the word tithe used just a few times. Primarily in regards to chastising of the Pharisees. What we do see are many different ways of giving. There was giving to the Apostles, giving to the church (body of Christ) and giving to the poor.

We are no longer under the law but under grace and as God showed His wondrous grace by giving His all we should be inclined through the love in our hearts to give all we possibly can to His wonderful work. If God lays it on our heart to give in a manner that is in excess of 10% then we should do so. As Christians all that we have should be considered God's, that He has been so gracious to supply us with. If we are poor and cannot give much in the way of cash then we can give much in the way of our time or of other things according to the gifts that He has given us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 02:38:45 AM »

Let us not confuse tithing with giving. The word tithing means tenth. It was a part of the Mosaic law. In the New Testament we only see the word tithe used just a few times. Primarily in regards to chastising of the Pharisees. What we do see are many different ways of giving. There was giving to the Apostles, giving to the church (body of Christ) and giving to the poor.

We are no longer under the law but under grace and as God showed His wondrous grace by giving His all we should be inclined through the love in our hearts to give all we possibly can to His wonderful work. If God lays it on our heart to give in a manner that is in excess of 10% then we should do so. As Christians all that we have should be considered God's, that He has been so gracious to supply us with. If we are poor and cannot give much in the way of cash then we can give much in the way of our time or of other things according to the gifts that He has given us.

Very well said, Pastor Roger.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
ludwig

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 05:43:55 AM »

dear everybody
let me put in my 2 cents' worth
i think it optional whether to tithe or not
one argument for tithing is that Abraham tithed before Mosaic law came into the picture.  On the other hand Christ scolded those who tithe and ignore weightier matters such as mercy and justice.  important thing is according to Christ to give joyfully
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »

As for me..I love to give..to tithe that the gospel will go on..Missionaries..pastors who preach the word...those in the body who have lost a loved one and in need of finacial support can come to the body and be encouraged and needs met..To do it unto the Lord as my riches no matter how little I have are not stored up on this earth but in heaven..I know where the tithe goes and have seen it bless so many but it blesses me more that I can reach out with all that I have for all I am and all I have belong to the Lord..

I think there are many agruments presented such as this for an excuse to not be in church or to justify why one does not want to be a christian..and it is best to give no argument of any kind that would bring the lost to where they cannot see the love of god and one accord of His people for we are called to the gospel to live it and it is hard to live it when we present argument when we so need to present the gospel..and to promote it with our time..money and talents but more important..OUR LIVES A LIVING SACRIFICE..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the