Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't  (Read 33906 times)
Phoenix

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:56:30 PM »

Top Ten Reasons I Don’t Tithe

1.The law of tithing has been cancelled (Heb 7:5,12,18) and no one has a right to re-establish a law Christ died to abolish.
2.I don’t have any food from the Promised Land to tithe (Lev 27).
3.I can’t find a Levite (Num 18:20).
4.I’m a priest (1Pe 2:9, Rev 1:6).  Priests were tithe receivers, not givers.
5.I’m a Gentile.  By law, only Jews can tithe.
6.The Bible teaches three different tithes (Num 18:20, Lev 27:30, Deut 12:1-19, Deut 14:22-26, Deut 14:28,29 and    26:12-13). How can I just pick one?
7.The New Covenant began when Christ proclaimed, “It is finished”. I can’t add anything to that.
8.I can’t find an example in the Bible of a worker tithing money off their wages and earnings.
9.I can’t find that it’s a requirement for church leadership in the New Testament.
10.The New Testament talks plenty about giving, but never mandates the law the tithing.(Remember, the NT began at the cross, not Matt 1:1).
David_james
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:02:17 PM »

what is tithe?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »

Hi David_james,

The word tithe means tenth. It was a commandment in the Old Testament to tithe according to the law, the giving of a tenth of the gain of that year.

Some still preach that a person is required to tithe to ones church. In the New Testament we know that giving is now according to how the Lord leads us and not necessarily just a tenth. It could be more than a tenth and giving is not just to ones church but rather to where the Lord needs it to go.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »

When in doubt, your church is a good place to start. I try not to pay to close of attention to the amount I give......and I try to double what I give monitarily in giving time to help those that really need help........even just fixing something or moving furnature.

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »

Phoenix,

I can understand where you are coming from.  But are you trying to say that giving to your church or ministry, money or time is not a good thing to do?  Your post leaves some openings that a young person in Christ could interpret to mean that tithing or offering of time and or money is a bad thing to do. 

Paul teaches a good bit on how churches should assist him in his journeys to spread the word and support the ministries of Jesus.  Jesus himself never demanded a tithe or anything of that nature, however He was supported by His followers as far as finances and time.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:18:10 AM »

1: is in referance to priesthood and how Christ is the high priestt now........not about tithing
2 is in referance to any tithe made to God and the value set upon it if the tithe is redeemed by man. the tithe from the land is given value by the priest (which you must understand is pre Christ) so if the man takes it back he must add 1/5th to it in money.
3 Christ is now the high priest (see note 1)
4&5 your statements are contodictory to the scripture. Even Levitical priests took part of what was given as tithe to God out of their portion (the choisest I might add) and burnt,boiled and soforthe the offering to God according to the law as it was set. there were those after a while that simply kept the tithe for themselves and they were punished for it.
6 try Mal 3:10 and if you put tithe into context the people of God at the time worked to plant feilds and built things. that was there income. Grain and livestock were currancy just as gold. Now we do business with cash.......you work for cash....you tithe cash.......the scriptures say to bring the first fruits as a tithe......the fruits of your labor......cash.
7Yes it is finished. But it is also not conbtrodictory to Gods law since Christ and Gad as well as the spirit ate all one and seperate. Gods word is still living and relevant. Even the parts you don't like....like tithing
8 see note 6
9the only thing that really changed from OT to NT is blood sacrifice for sin, which was not abolished, but rather already done for us by Christ. So you are not off the hook for Tithe yet.
10 Christ said "sell all you have and give to the poor, then follow me..............Christ preached giving.......all you can.......not meerly a tenth. a tenth is a good place to start, but it is only the minimum.

Store up your treasure in heaven

Gods blessings with you and I pray that you too will pray that the spirit open your eyes to the truth.

Gary

bj875

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »

In my thinking, tithing is not just money. It's giving your firstfruits of everything. Giving money but also your time. Just giving of yourself. Christians should give w/a cheerful heart. Not because you have to but because you want to. The more you give the more blessings you recieve.
So True!!
KJV Matthew 6:19-21
 19.  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
 20.  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
 21.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

That is right, its not just about money. The Lord askes for the first tenth of the fruits of our labor, whatever the fruit may be. This is just thge begining. just cause you give a tenth does not let you off the hook for expanding the kingdom of heaven. We all need to dedicat as much time as we can to Gods work.

Gary

Rev. Belch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 11:13:54 PM »

In my thinking, tithing is not just money. It's giving your firstfruits of everything. Giving money but also your time. Just giving of yourself. Christians should give w/a cheerful heart. Not because you have to but because you want to. The more you give the more blessings you recieve.
So True!!
KJV Matthew 6:19-21
 19.  Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
 20.  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
 21.  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Yes it's not only about giving money but also our time. One good thing that I enjoy is going to the nursing home and visiting the ones that have no visitors.  It really brightens up their day. Another good thing would be to volunteer at a soup kitchen. I have also done this. You really apreciate life more and all of your blessings.

walkwithHim4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »

hey,

I try to tithe at least three sundays a month but I agree with the majority of people who are talking about time being a way to tithe also. My yg is in a community that has so much impurity in it that we just don't know what to do. so we're spending out time just working in the community. which I think is more important than any money you could possibly give any church.

Kyle
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 01:07:50 AM »

I believe that tithing is an obedience thing that we do for God.  I have also heard that when Jesus died on the cross that he did away with the 10 commandments.  I don't know if that is true or not, but if God gave people guidlines to follow and He thought that it was a good thing then why wouldn't I want to follow it?  If I don't have a guidline to follow and I can do anything I want, then what will show my life different from anyone elses?  I know that this is heading off in another direction but I just thought that I would bring this up too.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »

then what will show my life different from anyone elses?

The love of God that is in our hearts.

Joh 15:8  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
Joh 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
Joh 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Joh 15:11  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
Joh 15:12  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Joh 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Tithing can be very important but most important of all is having the love that Jesus showed us. Showing that love to others, winning those that are lost over to that love. Tithing is a very small portion of that. We must let go of our worldly ways and follow Him in love not in duty. The laws of the Old Testament were of duty. All that were under those laws failed. That is the reason for God's grace, because all have sinned and no man could keep those laws. The love of God is more powerful than any of those laws. So let us love others as God has loved us. Let us bear fruit. To bear fruit we must first plant seeds. In plainer words ... we must tell others of Christs love for us and attempt to show them the way to Him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 04:19:05 PM »

Amen

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
RBKay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 04:16:05 PM »

I am new here, I found this site by accident and I don't know if it is still active....

There always seems to be a mix of O.T. and N.T. Scripture when trying to "prove?" something, why not use N.T. Scripture when it is available?.

When the word tithe is used the person is equating it to the law.

Paul said...
2Corinthians 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Paul also said...
Galatians 1:12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

Unless we say Paul is in error we then need to believe that 2Corinthians 9:7 is from Jesus Christ and if so them Jesus did away with "tithe".

So in N.T. context there is no tithe just giving from the heart.

Jesus was raising the stake when He asked from the heart which is more than reluctantly or under compulsion by the law.

Jesus wants your heart and having that; you give freely and all of yourself, you can’t try to buy anything with 10% (the law), Jesus does not need the money He wants your heart.

The heart is the starting point not a given monetary amount, no min's or max's.

Romans 2:23 You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?

James 4:16 As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God —not by works, so that no one can boast.

TGIF
RBKay

Thank you for allowing me in.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »

Hello RBKay,

Welcome to Christians Unite. I sincerely hope that you enjoy it here. YES, the site is quite active with over 10,000 page views per day and average posts of over 135 per day.

You made some excellent points about the differences between law and grace. The important thing now is that we do all in love and appreciation for our LORD and Saviour, JESUS CHRIST. Everything we have is a blessing from GOD, so we really could say why not 20% or 30%. We could also talk about time, work, and devotion as opposed to simply talking about money. You are quite correct that the law is no longer in effect, but it is still the tutor and schoolmaster that brought us to the knowledge of sin and the acceptance of Christ. There are many other reasons why the Old Testament will never go out of style or become less important than the New Testament. The biggest and most important event of the Bible is obviously the Perfect Sacrifice of JESUS CHRIST on the CROSS and all that this sacrifice means. The Old Testament explains why the CROSS is so precious and important. The Old Testament also teaches us about GOD.

Under Grace, I think that the most important truth is that anything we do for GOD begrudgingly is burned up as useless. The sole motivation for what we do for GOD must be in love and appreciation to our LORD and Saviour before it is recognized by GOD as being good. This would certainly involve much more than just money, rather everything we do and every aspect of our lives. Cheerful and from the heart is the key ingredient, and it can't be for recognition or other matters of pride. It isn't how much from the law, rather how much from the heart.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:6-7 NASB  Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the