Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tithing - Top 10 reasons I don't  (Read 33896 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »

Armorbearer Said:

But just to make sure we're clear, are you saying that tithing is important or not? Should we give when it comes time to that part of the service? I'm my eyes, and I believe it is somewhere in the scriptures that, when I give, it is a part of worship to God.
I'm not getting into deeds that are done outside of the church. And things that you do for someone in need. I'm just talking about tithing. Nothing else. Tithing by faith. Not out of obligation.

Brother, I don't mean to upset anyone with this, but many will anyway because of what they've been taught all of their lives. BUT, here goes anyway:

1 - Tithing is NOT important at all, mainly because it doesn't apply and it doesn't exist.

2 - Tithing was a Jewish mandatory tax under the Law of Moses. There was NOTHING voluntary or cheerful about it at all.

3 - What's important under the GRACE of GOD is cheerful, voluntary giving out of LOVE for GOD and others. The amount and percentage is really a moot issue that's between the giver and GOD. It's not good and acceptable to GOD unless it is given cheerfully out of LOVE. It's not ironic that when giving is cheerful, out of LOVE, and as GOD has enabled - it's many times much more than 10%. BUT, we must remember that it's burned up if it's done for bragging, personal recognition, or for the wrong reasons. The wrong reasons would include "AS A DUTY".

4 - Reference your comments about tithing being a part of your worship of GOD, it's not. If you think about this - would it be worship if it was forced and mandatory? Worship, THANKS, and PRAISE are out of LOVE for GOD and no other reason. If these things were forced or mandatory, they would be something else and need to be renamed to maybe something like homage and toll.

5 - JESUS CHRIST made many statements under the LAW to the JEWS. One needs to remember that JESUS CHRIST was and is the MESSIAH and the ANOINTED KING OF THE JEWS. HIS own rejected HIM, but HE will not be denied HIS RIGHTFUL THRONE. HE will take it at HIS appointed time and rule and reign over the earth from the Throne of David in Jerusalem for 1,000 years. Israel will accept HIM at HIS SECOND COMING, and HE will also restore Israel. Regarding giving outside the church, JESUS CHRIST said that giving food, drink, clothing, etc. to the poor was as giving directly to HIM. Many of the things that JESUS CHRIST said during HIS FIRST COMING were to and for the Jews, and many more things pertained to the KINGDOM that the Jews are still waiting for. Christians aren't waiting for an Earthly KINGDOM because we already belong to a HEAVENLY KINGDOM and are MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. Christians recognize and firmly believe in the perfect Sacrifice that's already been made and the Finished Work of Salvation on the CROSS by JESUS CHRIST.

Brother, my intent was certainly not to make anyone angry with this, rather to simply tell the truth. Many of the things that JESUS CHRIST said during HIS FIRST COMING was also to all of us. The same is true for the entire BIBLE being profitable for us. As Christians, our hopes and Promises from GOD are much greater than the hopes and Promises of the Jews who rejected CHRIST. I'd like to mention just a couple more things for thought. JESUS CHRIST rescued us from the curse of sin and death, so do we love HIM by percentages? Is our giving just in Church, and is it only with money? How about our time, effort, and labor - are they acceptable to GOD? Bluntly, many churches want us to believe that tithing still applies, and giving only counts in church. Many of them are poor stewards of the money that's given, and they use the money for things that GOD would not approve of. The truth is that tithing does NOT apply, and giving DOES apply outside the church.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »

I think we are all in agreement here but missing each other.

Armorbearer.  We all agree that tithing is not important when looking at the grand scheme of salvation and our soul.  I think we will also agree that tithing is important for the "operation" of our local churches.

BEP.  One thing to note is that yes you were correct that tithing was a "mandate" in the OT.  However God never intended it to be a burden.  There were two different sorts of laws that God created, those that honor Him and we should follow lovingly and He intended us to follow lovingly, and those He created because of sins that man created, ie slavery.  Before the Laws of Moses there was tithing and God did not have any rules upon it.  So obviously man was having problems and God came down and dictated that a tithe of 10%...which is what was given joyfully before the Law so that was acceptable to man and to God. 

And as to Armorbearer's comment of tithing being a part of his worship to God, it is part of mine too.  I gladly give 10%+ to God as part of my worship to God, just as Abel was joyfulling going to give the "first fruit" as part of worship to God I too give joyfully of what God has given me.  Just because there is a law to mandate something does not mean that it can no longer be a part of worship, if it is a burden then I agree it is not part of worship, but if it no longer a burden and you look upon it as a joy and way to show your love and thanks to God then how can one say it is not part of worship?  Law regulating it or not?

Again personally I think we are all on the same page, just sorta talking past each other.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »

Good Morning Everyone!

In that GIVING IS IMPORTANT for the right reasons, we are all on the same sheet of music. There's one thing we haven't added to the discussion that I want to mention for thought. Your local building you call church that is made with human hands IS NOT THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. This is why appropriate GIVING out of LOVE that GOD appreciates exists outside of that building.

THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST is ancient and ETERNAL. It exists wherever there are born-again believers trying to serve GOD. The building they are members of is ALIVE, and CHRIST HIMSELF is the HEAD. The work of this LIVING CHURCH is wherever GOD leads throughout the world. This CHURCH whoever is NOT of this world. GOD leads the members of HIS CHURCH to do a huge variety of work, and there is work that pleases GOD for everyone - rich, poor, young, old, healthy, ill, and all. The places where the work takes place is everywhere. We gather in various kinds of assemblies in man-made structures for worship, Bible Study, encouragement, fellowship, and strengthening each other in CHRIST. Should you cheerfully give to this local assembly? YES - MOST CERTAINLY!

We were "QUICKENED" (Translated) into this living and Eternal BODY at the moment our our Salvation. This is an incredibly beautiful fact and Promise of GOD. This beautiful TRUTH should color our thoughts about every portion of our lives.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

Amen on all accounts Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »

I Corinthians 16:2 says, "Upon the first day of the week, let every man lay by him in store as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come."  II Corinthians 9:7 says, "Every man according as he purposeth in his heartm si ket gun give; not grudgingly nor of necessity; for God loveth a cheerful giver."

Those two verses explain  the New Testament principle of giving; therefore, the motive of the heart in God's sight is the most important factor in His sight concerning giving.  You can give all your money to Him, but it will profit you nothing unless you want to give it to Him out of a heart of love!  There is no minimum or maximum amount of money to give to the Lord, for He cares about the motives of your heart more than He does about the amount you give!  Love for Him and His Word is the most important thing in His sight!
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »

I believe that Phoenix means , that tithing is a requirement under the Law and that if   you didn't tithe , you were stealing from God. Paul does tell us about grace giving in his letters, and believe that the Law didn't end until Acts 28 , because they were still keeping the Law in Acts 20: 21.
preachervern

Victory In Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »

Tithing has being on my heart for sometime and you folks here might have answer a few questions for me. Tell me if I am wrong, of course I have being praying about this as well. I am looking at taking my tithing and put it back into my ministry in which I am an Evangelist. I travel preach the word as well sing, some church's give me an love offered but not all, therefor I have to pay it all out of my pocket in which God bless me with that. So would I be wrong if I was to use my tithing in my own ministry? The last two church's that I was involved in I feel like have missed used the tithing and not put it were it should have being going to. I am looking at doing a lot more for my ministry but in doing so I have to have the funds, and there is only two ways to get it: 1 Ask, Seek, Knock.  2. Tithing
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 09:43:09 PM »

You would not be alone in putting your own money back into your ministry. I have known many a pastor and evangelist that has done just that. As has been said tithing as the Bible truly describes it is no longer tithing in the New Testament. It is now simply giving according to that which God places it in our hearts to give. It is not necessarily just 10 per cent as many want to think. Sometimes it may be less and many times it may be a whole lot more.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
preachervern

Victory In Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

Thank You Pastor Rogers. As I sit here tonite at 10:46pm I hear a lot of people partying it up  I Thank God that I can sit here tonite and party with the one who got me all away from the world of partying, I like being drunk on Jesus any old day. May God Bless you all in the new year of 2009.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »

Many churches and groups of Christians have a different kind of party tonight. Coffee will be the strongest beverage available at these parties. The music will be Hymns of Worship and Praise. The subject matter will be GOD'S WORD AND JESUS CHRIST! There is a BETTER HOPE than this world has, and Christians already have THIS HOPE IN THEIR HEARTS!

Love In Christ,
Tom

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

IN CHRIST!

Romans 5:20-21 NASB  The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »

preachervern.

I do not feel you would be wrong in putting your tithe into your own ministry.  However always becareful in that you do not get complacent in your tithe...which would be easy to do if your tithe was going back into your "paycheck".  Continue to write the check and put it in.  You may also say that you are taking your tithe and then from your ministry do something specific with it.  If your tithe for a month was only $100 then instead of putting it into your ministry to pay for the next revival, or whatever, take that $100 and do something specific with it from your ministry, like buy a needy family a holiday meal, or give it to a specific mission field.  That way you are still giving your tithe, and it is going to your ministry, but then from your ministry you are doing something specific with it.  That way you will continue to feel that obligation to tithe to your ministry.

Either way you would not be wrong in tithing to your own minstry.

God bless you brother.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

swordmanjr

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »

It's been my finding that handing one's so-called tithe over to organized religion is, in most cases, a robbery of God given that most church organizations consume the largest portion of what's handed over to them into their facilities, lawn care, staff salaries, etc., etc., and only the leftovers used for benevolent outreaches to meet the needs of fellow believers.

SwJr
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:32:44 AM by swordmanjr » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »

What do you consider "organized religion"? Would that include any group of people that organize together into a local assembly and serve God through one structure that they built for that purpose? Do you think that your meetings should be within your own home instead where you can completely control all that is said and done? Can you fit 100 to 300 people inside of your home?

I do realize that many times way to much money is wasted on making such a building to be far more elaborate than is necessary. Yet there are many still that do not spend more than is necessary and make them fitting a space to hold their respective numbers and do in fact do God's work from that building.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2009, 11:52:13 AM »

It's been my finding that handing one's so-called tithe over to organized religion is, in most cases, a robbery of God given that most church organizations consume the largest portion of what's handed over to them into their facilities, lawn care, staff salaries, etc., etc., and only the leftovers used for benevolent outreaches to meet the needs of fellow believers.

SwJr

Your finding would mean nothing to me. You can earmark your offerings in how they will be spent or give directly to the charity of your choice. If you don't like the way your local assembly spends money, go to a different local assembly. It appears that all you want to do is make a blanket condemnation. I might not approve of the way that you spend your own money, but that wouldn't be any of my business. The same would be true in reverse. You determine how you will spend your money and I'll do the same. So, there isn't a problem.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 1:1 ASV  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the