Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Do You Trust God ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do You Trust God ?  (Read 5382 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2003, 08:43:14 PM »

Those are my principles.  If you don't like it, I have others.

(Groucho Marx)

Grin
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 09:19:26 PM »

Thankyou 5020! You have answered my question!  Of course we are not to work but to keep the Sabbath holy.  THIS is where I was confused!
I agree with everything you say.  Clear, concise answers are what we need.
I thought we were supposed to keep the Saturday as the Sunday is kept with meetings, ect. But, now I see clearly!  I've been keeping the Saturday Sabbath all along!  And, it hasn't cost me a cent.
I'm not a Seventh Day Adventist & have no wish to be an extremist. I just want to be a good christian obeying all the commandments.
Thankyou once again!
Love...Tamara.
DareDevil

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2003, 07:45:03 PM »

Can't we gaither every day if we wanted, to worship?Or is that vain?Please.........Iam willing to listen.

sorry for getting off topic,i appologise.I will start a new thread
God does not object to every day worship....it is the replacing of His Holy Sabbath with Sunday that he objects to.
DareDevil

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2003, 10:35:43 PM »

R
One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike.
Are we talking about what man thinks or, what God has commanded ?
Colossians 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Are we talking about the sabbaths in the Law of Moses?
 Or, are we talking about the 7th day Sabbath in the Law of God ?
And if you know the Bible you'd know the difference between the 2.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2003, 10:36:15 AM »

Can't we gaither every day if we wanted, to worship?Or is that vain?Please.........Iam willing to listen.

sorry for getting off topic,i appologise.I will start a new thread
God does not object to every day worship....it is the replacing of His Holy Sabbath with Sunday that he objects to.

Can you answer the qeustion?When is sabbath day?I know the 7th day,but when is that?please dont use a man made calendar for proof.

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2003, 09:12:08 PM »

Well, I have to be honest here and say that I love Him every day of the week, and every day is like a Sabbath to me.  I don't really care which day I put aside for worship and meetings as He is with me all the time!  I have meditated on this question for a time since my last posting and came to the conclusion that it was a Jewish law.  I'm not Jewish.  They have kept the day as requested, but then, most of them rejected the Son of God. And now, as we live under Grace, that's good enough for me!

Love...Tamara.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 10:36:10 PM »

Well, I have to be honest here and say that I love Him every day of the week, and every day is like a Sabbath to me.  I don't really care which day I put aside for worship and meetings as He is with me all the time!  I have meditated on this question for a time since my last posting and came to the conclusion that it was a Jewish law.  I'm not Jewish.  They have kept the day as requested, but then, most of them rejected the Son of God. And now, as we live under Grace, that's good enough for me!

Love...Tamara.

Oklahoma Howdy to Tamara,

AMEN!, Well said!

Many don't study what is meant when the Holy Bible says that Christ came to fulfill the law. Many don't understand why the Gospel of God's Grace is so joyous and is THE GOOD NEWS. Just ONE of the beautiful JOYS is being able to pray and fellowship with our Lord and Saviour 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and all without the help of a High Priest. Another beautiful JOY is the Holy Spirit in HIS children and walking with HIS children 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thanks be unto God for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour! Living under GRACE is LOVE and TRUTH for God's children. We were bought and paid for by THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS. We have been delivered to HIM and we belong to HIM --- adopted, safe, and secure for ETERNITY. Another JOY of the GOOD NEWS is ETERNITY, not just one day.

In Christ,
Tom

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 07:28:31 AM »

Are we talking about the sabbaths in the Law of Moses?
Or, are we talking about the 7th day Sabbath in the Law of God ?

Hebrews 4:
7 Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today...

And if you know the Bible you'd know the difference between the 2.

Roll Eyes

I don't suppose ANY of us will ever KNOW all of God's Word while we're here. Though we should continue to study it prayerfully! I do know Christ as my Saviour and will continue to follow Him.  Wink

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 06:54:08 AM »

Me too Sincere!  Thankyou for Hebrews 4:7..I was trying to find that in the Bible!

Love...Tamara
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2003, 09:41:14 PM »

What in the world does the commandment have to do with the Sabbath?

First of all, we live under grace.  Not by the law.  Paul completely blew the 7th Adventist theory out of the water with Romans 14:4-5 (quoted by sincereheart).

Second, the commandment doesn't say "Gather together that day."  It says, "Do not work, and keep it holy."  Most people don't work already on Saturday.  Fellowship should be an all-week event, not on Sunday only.  Nobody says that we shouldn't meet on Wednesday night, though many churches do.

The 7th Adventist doctrine is so full of holes, it looks like a Democratic national policy.

We know how we use this verse, but the question to study is, what was Paul addressing? Because you'd have to do away with the fourth commandment, which some are in the habit of doing.

To get a sound understanding of scripture, it's important to put our own agendas aside and focus on what the Lord wants. We as fallen human beings have a tendency to filter the Lord's will through our own, and then create doctrine accordingly by shaping scripture around our own desires. People do it with tithes all the time. But this is a trap many people fall into without knowing it.

Butterflywings

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2003, 07:50:27 PM »

I had a hard time with this one I can say sometimes yes and sometimes no.  
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2003, 07:57:02 PM »

Do you trust God absolutely ?

Are you surrendered to him in such a way that you will do whatever he asks of you ?

Remember Abraham's faith.....he was willing to sacrifice his own son...just because God asked him to.
 And that is why he is called the 'Father of the faithful'...God's friend.

God will test you....to see how loyal you really are.
 He will ask you to do things that you do not want to do....GUARANTEED !

Faith is trust and if you have true faith you will trust. If God be for us who can be against us?

Support your local Christian.
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 02:37:18 AM »

Ditto!
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2003, 02:27:52 PM »

Ollie, this is true. The problem is, our faith sometimes fluctuates in strength. If you've had three members of your family die within a couple of years, if you've battled a serious illness, etc., there will be times when you do wonder. Because we all do have this thing called the flesh. If even Job was brought to the point of questioning, if Jeremiah did, the apsotles did, and Peter even denied Christ in a moment of weak faith, it raises the troubling question: is anyone safe?

The higher we go in our faith, the more severely it is tested. The more knowledgeable we become, the more tricky the evil one becomes in his deceptions, the more vicious his assaults.

One example I find so helpful is the example of Peter. I'm sure he didn't realize what Jesus meant when He acknowledged Peter's undeniable willingness, but then pointed out the weakness of his flesh. I used to think Jesus was talking about the apostles' sleepy physical flesh. They couldn't stay awake long enough to pray. But now I know Jesus was pointing out to Peter that he was mistaking in himself willingness for strength. The two do not necessarily coincide. Such zeal as to pull out a sword and lop off an ear in front of an armed band did not translate into the same zeal in front of a mere servant girl just a while later, because Jesus was no longer with Peter. Thrice Jesus told the apostles to wake up and pray, and thrice Peter denied Christ. And thrice Jesus asked him if he loved Him (using a word meaning sacrificial love). And thrice Peter was forced to say he loved Jesus with a lesser, affectionate love. And yet this man was one of Christ's inner circle and later learned to love Jesus with this sacrificial love.

You made a great point about the connection between faith and trust-I loved that.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2003, 06:12:24 PM »

Ollie, this is true. The problem is, our faith sometimes fluctuates in strength. If you've had three members of your family die within a couple of years, if you've battled a serious illness, etc., there will be times when you do wonder. Because we all do have this thing called the flesh. If even Job was brought to the point of questioning, if Jeremiah did, the apsotles did, and Peter even denied Christ in a moment of weak faith, it raises the troubling question: is anyone safe?

The higher we go in our faith, the more severely it is tested. The more knowledgeable we become, the more tricky the evil one becomes in his deceptions, the more vicious his assaults.

One example I find so helpful is the example of Peter. I'm sure he didn't realize what Jesus meant when He acknowledged Peter's undeniable willingness, but then pointed out the weakness of his flesh. I used to think Jesus was talking about the apostles' sleepy physical flesh. They couldn't stay awake long enough to pray. But now I know Jesus was pointing out to Peter that he was mistaking in himself willingness for strength. The two do not necessarily coincide. Such zeal as to pull out a sword and lop off an ear in front of an armed band did not translate into the same zeal in front of a mere servant girl just a while later, because Jesus was no longer with Peter. Thrice Jesus told the apostles to wake up and pray, and thrice Peter denied Christ. And thrice Jesus asked him if he loved Him (using a word meaning sacrificial love). And thrice Peter was forced to say he loved Jesus with a lesser, affectionate love. And yet this man was one of Christ's inner circle and later learned to love Jesus with this sacrificial love.

You made a great point about the connection between faith and trust-I loved that.
Could it be that some of the denial found in Peter was God's way of protecting Him for the work ahead?

I find Peter's lack of faith when Christ asks him to come out on the water with Him, and when Peter does it begins to storm and Peter is afraid and sinks, very endearing and encouraging. Here is this human man with all the weakness of man and he doubts when filled with worldly fear that he can be with Christ and walk on water, but Christ pulled him out and took him for a great work for which Peter laid down his life.

The lesson here being that when worldly doubt sets in and we wonder  if we can make it and become so afraid. Christ is there to pull us out. We overcome our human frailties through Christ. We must turn to HIm as Peter did.

Matthew 14:22.  And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.
 23.  And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
 24.  But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
 25.  And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
 26.  And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
 27.  But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
 28.  And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
 29.  And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
 30.  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
 31.  And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?[/u]
 32.  And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.
 33.  Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 06:13:40 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the