Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Jesus on the cross
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jesus on the cross  (Read 1262 times)
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2003, 09:56:02 AM »

I always thought that when jesus was on the cross,he told one of those that was being crucified,he would be in paradise with him.I cant find the passage,i looked in matthew 27:41-44 and couldnt find anything.Also does jesus tell us not to celebrate his birth,but rejoice in his death?Thanks all

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
MercyBreeze

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 03:32:13 PM »

Jabez,

The passage in question regarding the man next to Jesus is Luke 23:43.

With regard to our "celebration of His death" moreso than our "celebration of His birth," I must say that I disagree with both.  Neither do I rejoice in Christ's birth, nor rejoice in His death, for if either of these things were to be the end, then I would not have life.  No, I rejoice in a celebration of His life.

"For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." Romans 5:10

"For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Philippians 1:14

If I live, I live as Christ.  If I die, I move onto further life... which is gain.  In either case, I am alive because He lives.

In Christ Alone,

Mercy
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 08:53:40 PM »

I myself, since becoming a Christian, have never been real comfortable with Christmas; but I think that has more to do with the way it is done, as to whether we should or not. I believe God sees what is in our heart when we come together with family and friends to celebrate His birth.

But the Holy day that has always meant a lot to me as a Christian is easter, for this is when He rose from the dead. If He had not done that, Christianity would be just another religion.

Yours in Christ.   Roy.

ElmerGlue

Praying for the soon coming Kingdom of God.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 06:35:44 PM »

I myself, since becoming a Christian, have never been real comfortable with Christmas; but I think that has more to do with the way it is done, as to whether we should or not. I believe God sees what is in our heart when we come together with family and friends to celebrate His birth.
From the passages below, I would have to venture it is possible to do something that even though it is in His name, that it still is not God's Will. I would venture further to say it is a matter of whether we do it or not. What do you think?

Mat 7:21   Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.  
    Mat 7:22   Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  
    Mat 7:23   And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.  

But the Holy day that has always meant a lot to me as a Christian is easter, for this is when He rose from the dead. If He had not done that, Christianity would be just another religion.

The fact that Jesus died for all of the world's sins does make Christianity unique (and thank God that he did!).

I pose the question as to why easter, though? It was hard for me to find references to it from the early church (of the Apostles day) and they appear not to observe it...

(please note that I did find the below scripture with the word 'easter' (in the KJV), but if you will look at the original Greek, it does appear to refer to Passover.)

Act 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put [him] in prison, and delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter(Greek:pasha) to bring him forth to the people.

Lexicon Results for pascha (Strong's 3957)
4) the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to the 20th day of the month Nisan

It is by faith that you make your decisions, and so this is my faith. We all make decisions based on what we know, so it is our responsibility to do what we feel, and know, is right.

It is when we do not make a decision on what we know and learn that we can do ourselves the biggest disservice.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 10:50:43 AM »

We celebrate christmas,and we tell our children what we are celebrateing.The birth of our savor.I tell them that iam not sure what day or month Jesus was really born,but dec 25 is the day we celebrate his birth.Like it was said ealier GOD knows what is in our hearts.

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 04:46:06 PM »

My perspective of Christmas has changed since I became a Christian. I now see so many people who use the season for many things, some of which brings out the good in us. But, most people don't know Christ and the season perpetuates giving for the wrong reason. I find this sad but inevitable. As for Christ's death, I celebrate that because without it, we would not have received the holy Spirit or eternal life. It also represents His sacrifice for us.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the