Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:12:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Conundrum: Music sharing
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Is sharing music stealing?
Yes - 5 (25%)
No - 9 (45%)
Somewhere in between - 6 (30%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conundrum: Music sharing  (Read 3410 times)
atheist

I'm a llama....

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2003, 01:32:29 PM »

I kinda feel like it is stealing, but that if one doesn't protect his stuff, and it gets stolen, he really only has himself to blame.

I feel like the artists deserve money, but the big record companies don't.    

It seems they will never prevent people from downloading music, and that people always will.  Music makers, when successful, make more than any hardworking carpenter would ever make.  So maybe its just that artists don't deserve money from the songs they make, but from the performances they provide.  They should have to perform to make their money - go on tours and do concerts.  No more multi-millionare singers.  They can earn regular money just like everyone else who works 40 hour weeks.  

Hmm...slippery slope, though.  Movie makers should make money off their movies - but 8.50 a movie is a little ridiculous.  Once movie downloads start becoming big, no one is going to pay $10 to see a movie anymore.  Then we'll be back to the shoddy quality of movies from back in the day with little budgets.  Nah...who knows...just rambling.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 04:25:25 PM »

I've decided I really don't care anymore. If people download music and then get caught and fined, it's their fault. If they download music and get away with it, more power to them. If the RIAA's gonna get so obsessed with it, the price of CDs will drop, and people who buy CDs as much as I do will benefit in the end.

That's my way of looking at it, at least.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 04:56:19 PM »

When Morpheous first came out, Record sells INCREASED! Most people DO NOT have CD burner, MP# players, and the patience/bandwidth to Download all the songs on one album. People just prefer to buy the CD, it is easier. On top of that, there is no logical reason then geed for someone to charge 20 bucks for 10 songs on a plastic disc that gets damages extremely easy. Is it stealing? Good question. How can you “steal” a song? Recording it off the radio, is that stealing? Especially with that new XM radio. What about when you pick up your guitar, and tab out the song from memory? Is that stealing? Music is such an abstract thing, I don’t think we can use words we describe physical object with to classify it. Money, clothing, jewels, these are things we steal. Music can just be grabbed out of the air, it can flow off the top of your head, out of your mouth, or through your fingers! It just isn’t the same.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
atheist

I'm a llama....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 04:59:56 PM »

How can you “steal” a song? Recording it off the radio, is that stealing? Especially with that new XM radio. What about when you pick up your guitar, and tab out the song from memory? Is that stealing? Music is such an abstract thing, I don’t think we can use words we describe physical object with to classify it. Money, clothing, jewels, these are things we steal. Music can just be grabbed out of the air, it can flow off the top of your head, out of your mouth, or through your fingers! It just isn’t the same.

That's a different way of looking at it too.  You're right - it just isn't really quite the same.  Maybe it becomes wrong if you download songs and sell them for a profit.  

someguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 08:08:54 PM »

My opinion is that if the band is big enough for you to be able to find and download their whole album on the internet they probably have enough money already.  $20 is ridiculous when they only cost $1 to make.  Another good thing about the downloading is that it is driving the prices down.  I heard a reduction of about 30% but I will probably keep downloading until its down to about $5, I'll just have to be more careful.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 10:57:38 PM »

Yeah, or the Gesta- I mean the RIAA will arrest you! lol, heard of them arresting anyone yet? Hallow threats. I’m DLing things out of spite Grin

someguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 12:11:58 AM »

They have already filed something like 160 lawsuits, one of which paid out about $2,000.  Hundreds more are being planned.  Better hurry up and sign their waiver Roll Eyes.  The average user with a lawsuit against them has about 1,000 songs being shared.  I've heard the lawsuits have been even higher than that too.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 08:53:37 AM »

Yeah? Let them come. When DLing music is outlawed... Grin What gets on my nerves are the big name artist who claim to stand up for the "little guy" artists. Ironically, most new artists are using File sharing to get free and cheap publicity... Money mongering hacks!

romansRules

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 07:27:03 PM »

When Morpheous first came out, Record sells INCREASED! Most people DO NOT have CD burner, MP# players, and the patience/bandwidth to Download all the songs on one album. People just prefer to buy the CD, it is easier. On top of that, there is no logical reason then geed for someone to charge 20 bucks for 10 songs on a plastic disc that gets damages extremely easy. Is it stealing? Good question. How can you “steal” a song? Recording it off the radio, is that stealing? Especially with that new XM radio. What about when you pick up your guitar, and tab out the song from memory? Is that stealing? Music is such an abstract thing, I don’t think we can use words we describe physical object with to classify it. Money, clothing, jewels, these are things we steal. Music can just be grabbed out of the air, it can flow off the top of your head, out of your mouth, or through your fingers! It just isn’t the same.

What about the biblical idea of submitting to those in authority? The law says it is stealing to share music in this way. So that means we shouldnt do it. They dont say it is stealing to tape them off the radio or play them on guitar. So that's fine.

It seems pretty clear to me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 07:34:50 PM by romansRules » Logged

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord?"...For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
-- Romans 11:33-36
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 04:59:52 PM »

What about the biblical idea of submitting to those in authority? The law says it is stealing to share music in this way.

You can take this view, but then ask yourself if you would still obey authority if they said that Christianity was illegal.
romansRules

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 07:17:15 PM »

You can take this view, but then ask yourself if you would still obey authority if they said that Christianity was illegal.

No, because that would be in direct contrast to what God says. God doesnt say that we have to download songs off the net. He says to sing and worship him with instruments and songs, but we can easily do this within the bounds of the authority that God has put in place over us.

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord?"...For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
-- Romans 11:33-36
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 07:24:59 PM »

I agree with just about everyone lol. There is a lot of hypocrisy in some of the things the record industry says. The thing is, record sales are still increasing - I know that personally, I have bought more after I was able to download music freely from the internet than previously. That is simply because now I get to actually get to know whether I like the artist before shelling out money.

I download music with two restrictions on myself. Either I already own the music which I download in another form (particularly vinyl, but also cassette and CD) and so the artist has already received my money, or I am sampling the music. If I like it, I will buy the CD. If I do not like it, I will delete it.

I've noticed a few download sites saying people can download as a "sample", so my best guess is that that is actually legal. As well as being common sense.

I don't want to do artists out of money, even if they are very rich, but neither do I wish to waste my money.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 11:04:54 AM »

Roman, I paid for it. I spent the 25 bucks to get Kazaa Gold so I can legally do all of this. However, I still stand on my first post. Music downloading doesn't fall into the class of stealing, therefore, it is an unfair and unjust law, just as the law against being a Christian in Roman times.

stephen.auty

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 04:47:32 PM »

Hi everyone,

I kinda agree with Broken. You see I have worked as a DJ for the past 4 years, and a record single, not an album coste me between £5-£9, which is about $9-$15. Now, as you can see, that is a lot of money. For example to put together a 2 hour set you probably need 25 records so you can imagine the cost of keeping up-to-date. I download music, but only if I have it, or I want to try it out before I spend so much money on it. And yes, I have spent more since I started downloading. But the real conundrum for you is this:

Is it wrong to DJ in a nightclub as a Christian, watching people sin in front of you and do nothing about it? Is it wrong to DJ on the sabbath - even if you play Gospel-influenced music? (by the way I haven't played anywhere since I started readingthe Bible, but I'm not sure if I should again or not)
Primrose

Practically Perfect in Every Way ;)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 03:38:37 PM »

I voted for somewhere in the middle. I guess I don't have a problem with it because I download if there is only a song or two I like from an artist. If I like all their music I just buy the cd.

Avo thano rûth vi gûr alfirin! - Do not kindle anger in an immortal heart
No i brestanneth anírach tírad vi amar - Be the change you wish to see in this world
"Every harlot was a virgin once." - William Blake
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the