Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Conundrum: Music sharing
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Is sharing music stealing?
Yes - 5 (25%)
No - 9 (45%)
Somewhere in between - 6 (30%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conundrum: Music sharing  (Read 3407 times)
Vivaldi

Soli Deo Gloria

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »

I realize that I am new to this site, but I can say that I have had experience on the writing and recording side of the music industry.  I agree with "someguy" when he says that it only takes $1 to replicate a CD.  However, the things he didn't include in that are paying the Recording Artists, Composer, Arrangers, Producers, Recording Engineers, Recording Studios, Graphics Designers, Publicity Personel, Copyrights, ect...

However, is the issue here the money that the Recording Artist are making or is it biblical obedience to the authority that God has put over us?

I voted "yes."

Vivaldi
lollard

Being & Reformed and Redeemed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 01:26:18 PM »

Another newbie chiming in. I agree with the last post and I to voted yes.

The local library allows you to check out up to fifty cds a week (if you are so inclined) and I spent many hours and dollars duplicating them, for my own enjoyment. I also spent countless hours downloading songs from Morpheus and Bear Share. I must have had  four thousand songs.

Now, why do I consider it stealing? Because I received something that I did not pay for.

Here is what I mean. If I go to a library and read a book, I am using something I didn't pay for. But the publisher has allowed this for whatever reason. But, if I never return the book, that is considered stealing, right? What if i make a copy of the book and send back the original, aren't I still in possession of the book in some form (This is comparable to copying cds by the way because they are never the same quality just like a zerox copy of a book is not the same as the original)? The music manufacturers have not given you any rights to make copies for anyone but yourself (from what I understand).

The point is not whether it is wrong for the companies to charge so much for the music they put out. The question is should we be denying them the money that they are due?

So is copying wrong? I can't see that it is according to copyright law. Is sharing wrong? Yes because it is against copying law. By the way I deleted all the songs and got rid of the cds.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 01:27:20 PM by lollard » Logged

A Lollard <Smiley)))><<
lollard

Being & Reformed and Redeemed

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »

Oh and by the way it isn't okay if it is a Christian cd and it is for the church. Our choir ran into this recently. I am the only one with a burner.

The choir director asked me to make copies for all the people in the choir so we could practice it. I said, if you get permission from the publisher then I will do it. I got growns and moans of people saying hey we did it last year, and I could almost hear the "legalistic label" being slapped on my forehead.

Anyway by next choir practice I was told to go ahead and make them up in lue of it being done. Got to choir, and they hadn't called for permission.

Now, the cd says you must call and get permission and once you do, you can copy them, but must destroy the copies afterwards. It doesn't say just take it for granted that you can, it says do this... They didn't call as i said and were making me look like the bad guy when I was ticked off at them.

Technically what I had done was illegal and immoral, and they blew it off. I suggest that they buy a cd burner of their own next time.

A Lollard <Smiley)))><<
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 11:33:33 AM »

Well, my brother, I have some wonderful news. It is legal and moral to use your burner if the songs or CD you are burning where bought. As long as you do not sell the CD back out to someone, it is perfectly legal. This issue isn't with burning CDs for friends and such. The issue is with Downlaoding music for free, burning it, and selling it.

At the risk of sounding more like a bohemian then I already am, the music belongs to the people. If Christian music Author’s will not allow their fans to copy their music, I want King David and his might men to come down and smite the "Christian" music artists for the use of all these Psalms.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
punkdonkey

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 08:16:28 AM »

Actually...Burning an original CD for other people, no matter if they are friend of foe is illigale.

Regarding DL music...There are no grey zones on this one. It is illigale/unlawful. that many people dont care, does not make it legale.

I understand people who want to test music before buying it. I live in Denmark, and we have almost no christian music here. I have to pay 50% more for the CD (and then plus shipping, which makes it almost 80%) more then for a non christian CD, and it is so anoying when it turnes out to suck because I coudlnt hear anything from it before buying it. but it is still illigale to dl.

If you want to hear something before buying, then try something like Www.musichristian.com
it has already helped me not to make some really sucky choices Wink
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the