Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sticking cursor???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sticking cursor???  (Read 1923 times)
laterunner

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth &

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »

Sometimes when I log on my X.P.--P.C.all  runs OK but the cursor sticks in the middle of the screen & I can't move it. So I switch down & reboot.

Can you give me any advise to get round this or to solve the problem.HuhHuh

Many thanks in antisipation.           Smiley    Huh

You catch em! He'll clean em!!
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:47:59 PM »

Is it stuck when you are booting up or at the login screen?

Wireless mouse?

USB Mouse?

Does it ever just lock up when you are working on the computer or only at startup?

Can you CTRL-ALT-DEL and get to the task manager?  Anything taking up huge amounts of CPU time?

many many questions  Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

and many more to be asked.   Wink

There are so many things that it could be depending on the existing conditions at the time. Please give us some more information on exactly when it happens, what the computer might be trying to do in addition to what you have stated, size and speed of computer would be helpful also the operating system you are using ( i.e. 95/98/XP?? ) .

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
laterunner

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth &

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 05:46:17 AM »

Is it stuck when you are booting up or at the login screen?

Wireless mouse? ><>  ><>  Yes

USB Mouse?  ><>  ><>  Yes

Does it ever just lock up when you are working on the computer or only at startup?  ><>  ><>  When I have switched on only
Can you CTRL-ALT-DEL and get to the task manager?  Anything taking up huge amounts of CPU time?><>  ><>  Non comprende -- CPU??

Sincerely
Brother Jerry
Thanks.

You catch em! He'll clean em!!
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:05:52 AM »

and even more questions, are there any hidden programs that are running? Have you done a defrag, a scan, an adware scan? There are many reasons why this could be happening. Just takes a lot of patience and time to do a total checkup and find out what might be the problem.  Sad

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:29:16 PM »

Can you CTRL-ALT-DEL and get to the task manager?  Anything taking up huge amounts of CPU time?><>  ><>  Non comprende -- CPU??

On your keyboard you have the keys mentioned above. If you press the Ctrl, the Alt key and then the Delete key and hold them down all at the same time you should get a window to pop up that will show you what programs are running. This is the Task Manager Window. It gives you the ability to stop programs. Stopping some programs can cause your system to crash and all other kinds of problems so if you are not sure don't try stopping any but at least look through it and see what your computer might be doing. Unfortunately this does not necessarily show the actions of some hidden programs.

If you do those key sequnces twice it will reboot your system for you twice. If your keyboard is actually sending a signal to the cpu that is causing your problem then this function probably will not work.

If that is the case then check your keyboard to insure it is clean and no keys are sticking down. Then check the keyboard driver for proper functioning. If the keyboard driver is malfunctioning you might have to reinstall it.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 09:04:08 AM »

Wireless USB Mouse - You said yes.  Have your replaced batteries?

Also does this happen if you just restart the computer?

PR was correct in directions for getting to task manager.  But what this also checks is that if the task manager comes right up then we also know that CPU (Central Processing Unit - Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP, etc, etc) is not being bogged down.  However if you do that and task manager does not come right up then the computer is being slowed down by programs that are running or starting up. 

You could have alot of programs running in the background that are having problems getting started when you boot up.  But if you do not run across this when restarted then this is more than likely not the issue.

If the only time this happens is when you first turn the computer on then the problem would point towards something going on with your mouse itself and not the computer.  I know I have a wireless USB mouse by HP that puts itself in a coma.  I have to press both of the buttons in order to get it to wake up.  It will also drift off to sleep if I do not use it for a few minutes.  Then I have to move it around or click a button to get it to wake up. 

If you have another mouse you can try that and see what happens.  Preferrably a USB mouse.  If it works then the mouse is either putting itself to sleep or going bad.  If it does not work then there is a problem with system initiallizing the USB ports.  Which could be motherboard problem or operating system problem.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the