Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Critic Blasts Talladega Nights' Anti-Christian Content
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Critic Blasts Talladega Nights' Anti-Christian Content  (Read 3352 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:15 AM »

Christian Critic Blasts Talladega Nights' Anti-Christian Content

(AgapePress) - Although funnyman Will Ferrell's new movie, Talladega Nights: the Ballad of Ricky Bobby, finished first at the box office this past weekend, the comedy was not a winner as far as Christian movie reviewer Ted Baehr is concerned.

Baehr, publisher of Movieguide.org, is waving the yellow flag over the film about a dim-witted NASCAR racer with a gung-ho, win-at-all-costs attitude. According to Associated Press (AP) reports, the Christian media reviewer describes Talladega Nights as "a racist, bigoted work that ridicules the Bible Belt, Southern white men, Christianity, Jesus Christ, the family, and American masculinity."

The Movieguide review of Talladega Nights describes the film as "politically correct," in that it ridicules faith, family, traditional values, Southerners, white males and other ideas and groups that are fair game to those who share typical liberal notions of what is "PC." The review also notes that Ferrell's movie contains "lots of blasphemous and borderline laughs," along with "strong sexual references, excessive foul language and strong homosexual content."

Baehr is particularly incensed over Talladega Nights' satirical references to Christianity, such as the lead character's prayers to "baby Jesus" and his "running around ... mocking God" at different points in the film. "A couple of scenes in the movie are just extremely blasphemous," the movie analyst observes; yet he feels this kind of anti-Christian bigotry gets a pass in Hollywood, while other kinds of religious bigotry are denounced.

Baehr points to the recent incident involving producer, director and actor Mel Gibson and the anti-Semitic remarks he allegedly made during his arrest on suspicion of drunk driving. "If we take the position that what Mel Gibson said is religious bigotry," the Christian film reviewer contends, "then [much of the content in Talladega Nights] is religious bigotry too."

It is a simple case of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander," Baehr insists. "You need to be balanced in all of this," he says. "Now, if we're worried about Mel Gibson apologizing for his anti-Semitism, I think it should be equally just for Will Ferrell to apologize with his writing partner for his anti-Christian bigotry."

Although Talladega Nights did well with moviegoers this past weekend, Baehr believes the movie will probably be overtaken and passed when the more meaningful and faith-affirming film, World Trade Center, debuts this Wednesday. He predicts that next week, the fact-based film on the 9/11 disaster will replace Ferrell's anti-Christian comedy as the nation's number-one movie.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »

What a real shame.  Because I was actually interested in seeing that movie.  It looked incredibly funny.  And Ferrell is one of those folks that can do comedy that is not off color or anything of that nature.  But I guess since he co-wrote this one his true color is shining out.

May have to write him off of my watch list.

Oh well my money would better be served in the offering plate than the coffers of the theatre anyways.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »

Well I am seeing it today, as I have tickets for the show with Lizzie.  I'll let y'all know what I think, when I get back later.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »

So was it as bad as it sounded?

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56:18 AM »

Two month later.....So was it as bad as it sounded, DreamWeaver? My bad, but i want to know too.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the