Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Water Baptism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Water Baptism?  (Read 3556 times)
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

This is not a complaint, just a friendly discussion.
I have a fairly odd situation that I would like to speak of and seek the advice of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Those who have read my previous posts know that my family likes to engage in friendly debates from time to time, especially when it comes to biblical meanings.  Here is the question.  Baptism.  I was baptised at the age of fourteen.  I knew exactly what I was doing, knew the meaning of the water baptism, knew that my tongue had professed that Christ is King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and had been my savior for the better part of my life. I had already been baptised by fire.  The only issue is, the church I attended didn't fully submerse me, rather did the "sprinkling" of water on my head.  Now, my father is debating that he feels I should still be submersed.  My issue is that I don't want to take away authority from my Lord.  I knew what I did.  I knew the reasons. So, brothers and sisters, what are your thoughts on this.  All thoughts will be taken into consideration and a thank you ahead of time for your wisdom and encouragement.
Your brother in Christ!
-Am-

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 02:46:04 PM »

Brother let me ask you a question? If a man lay dying in his bed and he recieved the Lord Jesus as his Savior minutes before he died, do you think God would reject him?
Your answer is most certainly the same as mine NO God would not reject him.

Some people never get a chance to get baptized, I knew a man who gave his life to the Lord and 2 days later was killed in a motorcycle accident, I know God would not reject this man either.

Brother, my best advice to you is seek God, go to Him in prayer, that is the best place to get answers. If you feel at peace and you God has led you to be baptized again than do so, but if you feel in your spirit that you have already been baptized, then Amen. God knows your heart, He will not lead you astray if you ask Him.

That is what I would do if I were in your place.

ps. Baptism does not save you, only Jesus can save you by His shed blood.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »

Hi Amorus, I couldn't have said it any better than Sister Maria did. Let the Lord lead you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your response and yes, I most definitely feel at peace and agree with everything you stated.  It was interesting at how I was approached with this and it lead to a very nice discussion within my family and opened everyones eyes to how much the spirit really was dwelling in all of us. Nothing better then seeing a family with bibles out finding the truth in the word of our Lord. 
Blessings!
 Wink

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:58:51 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your response and yes, I most definitely feel at peace and agree with everything you stated.  It was interesting at how I was approached with this and it lead to a very nice discussion within my family and opened everyones eyes to how much the spirit really was dwelling in all of us. Nothing better then seeing a family with bibles out finding the truth in the word of our Lord. 
Blessings!
 Wink

AMEN Brother.  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 03:28:39 PM »

Double Amen

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
doc

Eternal Life begins at salvation - John 5:24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 12:35:56 AM »

Amorus,

This method of baptism issue has divided the Body of Christ since the beginning.  The critical aspect of it has been impressed on me by years of observation and the peace that comes to a new Christian when they have studied all the references in the Word and come to the method they believe to be true.

The main question, for me is the condition of the heart  in the person being baptized.  Only God knows the heart, the Bible says - we only see the outside of a person.  Their relationship with God through Jesus Christ is what should prompt their desire to be baptized.  I find one verse that addresses this condition - all else seems to be incidental and debating about it only separates Christians further.  Satan loves to see us argue.

This is the verse:

"There is also an antitype which now saves us — baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ..." 1 Peter 3:21  NKJV

There should be no confusion about the water saving us - it is an antitype.  The meaning here is, that baptism corresponded to, or had a resemblance to, the water by which Noah was saved.  The water of baptism - regardless how it is applied - does not replace the blood of Christ in cleansing us of sin.

The primary question is a good conscience toward God.  We should never be baptized without examining ourselves in the light that comes into us upon our salvation. 

doc
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:53:57 PM by doc » Logged

Heed the words of Jesus:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  John 5:24  NKJV
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 01:13:28 AM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

It is very pleasant to discuss things in a way that does not result in division.

I want to mention one more thing about Baptism. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit happens immediately after a person accepts JESUS CHRIST as Lord and Saviour. The Holy Spirit of GOD immediately enters the heart of the new believer, SEALS the heart of the new believer as a pledge of eternal life and all of the Promises of GOD, and remains in the heart of the new believer forever. In the absence of this Baptism by the Holy Spirit, there is NO Salvation. GOD knows those who belong to HIM because HE LIVES in their hearts.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 12:2-3 NASB  "Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation." Therefore you will joyously draw water From the springs of salvation.

Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »

Only God knows the heart,
Amen doc!

It is very pleasant to discuss things in a way that does not result in division.

Isaiah 12:2-3 NASB  "Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation." Therefore you will joyously draw water From the springs of salvation.
And another AMEN!

Rob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »

Hi I'm new to this forum and may be posting to this kind of late. But here are my thoughts on this.

Satan loves to take whatever doubts we have with our personal relationship with God and try to create conflict within ourselves and between other believers.   My solution would be to fast and go through a full submersion baptism. In fact if you can think of someone else that has not been baptised yet discuss the meaning and blessing of being baptised with them, and do it togeather.
cardsfan71

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 09:18:47 PM »

Baptism is a outward showing of a inward change!!! Brother you just keep your little hand in gods big hand and everything will be ok.You and god only know if you are saved.If you feel you need to be baptised again do it.If you feel you don't then don't.I know sometimes it's hard to not think about what people say but,you can't let words or peoples opions come between you and god.The devil wants nothing more to place that seed of doubt in your head.He is hoping it will cause you to stumble and give up the faith and love you have in Jesus.Remember when all else fails pray about it!!!
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 08:12:14 AM »

Thank you all so very much once again!   Cheesy

David_james
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »

what everyone said plus, because I have a trach I can't be submerged. So did my baptism mean nothing? No, it means the same
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 02:23:34 PM »

Amen David, The Lord does understand and is with you irregardless of whether you can be baptized or not.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 03:51:15 PM »

what everyone said plus, because I have a trach I can't be submerged. So did my baptism mean nothing? No, it means the same

Brother David,

I want to share a beautiful truth with you. At the moment that you accepted JESUS CHRIST as your Saviour, you were also baptized by the Holy Spirit of GOD. The most beautiful part of this is the Holy Spirit of GOD entered your heart and sealed it forever as a pledge that you belong to JESUS for eternity. Nothing in the universe can break the SEAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, so no power can pluck you out of the Mighty Hands of GOD.

Brother David, Salvation is such a beautiful and precious purchase. JESUS CHRIST paid it all on the CROSS, and those who trust HIM and accept HIM have actually been purchased - delivered from the curse of sin and death - and become a purchased possession of JESUS CHRIST. Your heart became a living temple for the Holy Spirit of GOD, and HE is with us every minute of every day as a comforter and guide. GOD knows those who belong to HIM because HE lives in their hearts. GOD has given you Living Water that is eternal, and that Living Water is JESUS CHRIST - your personal Lord and Saviour forever!

Ephesians 1:13 NASB  In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 NASB  who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

Ephesians 1:15 NASB  For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints,

Ephesians 1:16 NASB  do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers;

Ephesians 1:17 NASB  that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.

Ephesians 1:18 NASB  I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 1:19 NASB  and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might

Ephesians 1:20 NASB  which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,

Ephesians 1:21 NASB  far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.

Ephesians 1:22 NASB  And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,

Ephesians 1:23 NASB  which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Titus 3:4 NASB  But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared,

Titus 3:5 NASB  He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

Titus 3:6 NASB  whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Titus 3:7 NASB  so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

2 Timothy 1:12 NASB  For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.

2 Timothy 1:13 NASB  Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 1:14 NASB  Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.

Brother David, the moment you ask JESUS CHRIST to come into your heart and be your Lord and Saviour, all of the eternal Promises of GOD to HIS children were given to you right then. Those Promises are beautiful and precious beyond human comprehension. You have actually been adopted as a child of GOD, but you have been given a full inheritance with the Saints in LIGHT for eternity. The LIGHT is JESUS CHRIST - you are not your own - you've been bought by the precious Blood of JESUS CHRIST on the CROSS - and you are now a member of a church not made with human hands - THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. In short, you are already one of those Saints in LIGHT, and your eternal inheritance that has already been promised to you will be as a child of the KING OF KINGS!

Brother David, you already have access to the Throne of GOD'S Grace 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You are talking to GOD when you pray, and you must also remember that the HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD lives in your heart, so you are never alone. We will have trials and afflictions during this short life, but we must also remember that this world is not our home. Our citizenship is in Heaven with JESUS CHRIST for eternity. There won't be any pain or sorrow in Heaven, just joy and peace with JESUS CHRIST for eternity. GOD will also give us a glorified body at HIS appointed time, and the Holy Bible tells us our body will be like the body of JESUS CHRIST. It's easy to see why the children of GOD have so many reasons to give thanks, praise HIM, and worship HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 1:13-14 NASB  For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the