Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I need diet tips
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need diet tips  (Read 9588 times)
babybear1980

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:28:29 AM »

Tongue  Hey Ladies (and those men who read these), I need some advice and tips on losing weight. A quick run down of what I'm dealing with, I am 5'8" and weigh approximately 300 pounds. I have finally reached a point where I am disgusted with myself, and want to really get serious about losing the weight. I want to do it the natural way, with no surgery. I want to get healthy in the process and not take any kind of weight loss medications. Anybody got any suggestions on what worked for them? I'm open to all ideas and help that you all can offer. Thanks ahead of time for your help. God Bless!! Smiley
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:45:25 AM »

Hi babybear.

While in the Navy one of my collateral duties was as Command Physical Fitness Coordinator. In addition to running the Physical Fitness Testing I had a number of people that had a weight problem that was about to get them released from the Navy. I worked with a Navy Dr on this for them. We came up with a diet and exercise program that was tailored for each one so that no one went hungry and no one had any health repercussions from diet or exercise.

One thing we had these people do was to eat more raw vegetables as snacks instead of other things that was high in calories. A veggie plate is great only leave the dips, peanut butter and such out of it.

When sitting down to a meal eat only one serving of everything. If you still feel hungry don't go back for seconds but you can replace seconds with things from the veggie plate. Vegeatables have almost no calories ( in comparison to other foods ) but are high in nutrition.

An exercise program is necessary. It is the only way to really burn off the extra calories. The most important thing for you to remember is to build into any exercise program slowly so as to not overdo it and to not get burned out on it before you even get started.

The first and best thing to do is to make sure you see a Dr that will make sure you have an exercise program that is suited for you and that you are physically able to handle.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:51:08 AM »

Tongue  Hey Ladies (and those men who read these), I need some advice and tips on losing weight. A quick run down of what I'm dealing with, I am 5'8" and weigh approximately 300 pounds. I have finally reached a point where I am disgusted with myself, and want to really get serious about losing the weight. I want to do it the natural way, with no surgery. I want to get healthy in the process and not take any kind of weight loss medications. Anybody got any suggestions on what worked for them? I'm open to all ideas and help that you all can offer. Thanks ahead of time for your help. God Bless!! Smiley

Sister I have a book called body by God, it has some recipies I will look them up and some tips and put them in a zip fiile and email them off to you if you don't mind.  Wink
It may take me just a day or 2 but I can send you some info, and hang inthere sister this is a battle we all face. It's good to know we can count on each other, I'll start praying for you right now.
your friend and sister in Christ,
Maria.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
babybear1980

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:16:58 AM »

Sister I have a book called body by God,

Do you know who the author of that book is and where I might be able to buy it? Also, does anybody have any opinions to offer about the book "The Maker's Diet"?
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »

Sister the author of the book Body by God is Ben Lerner, he visited my church in the fall and I got the book from my church I don't remember what I paid for it though.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »

Babybaear, I just checked I paid 22.99 for the book some of the capter titles are:
 "Food by God: The Un-Diet"
  "Understanding The Different Types of Fuel"
  "The Un-Diet Food Guide"

I'll still will email you some info if you want, just let me know.

babybear1980

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:32:12 AM »

That would be great if you could e-mail me some of the info. I haven't had a chance to look for that book yet, but hopefully this week will yield me some time to do so. Thanks for the help and the info.
StillSmallVoice
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:33:32 AM »

God is with you, Babybear1980!  He loves your body and loves your heart!

On October 30 of last year, I sat in my doctor's office at 5'9", 257 pounds.  My doctor was in tears, for she had just diagnosed me with uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes.  My previous physical behavior did not lead her to believe that I would do much about it.

This morning, July 3, I weigh 188 (69 pounds lighter), on my way to 175.  I've done two simple, natural things.

1)  Calorie counting works, especially if you're balancing your food intake and eating a variety of stuff.  I try very hard most days not to exceed 1500 calories (usually about 1350).  You can do it.  Fill up on the stuff that won't hurt you.  Carrots, rice cakes, popcorn . . . all good snacks.  I also buy lots of Lean Cuisine, Michelina's, Healthy Choice frozen dinners.  You can get them on sale all the time, and the controlled portions are perfect.  Remember to drink lots of water (I love Fruit-Two-0).  We've got to stay hydrated.

2)  I joined a gym with a friend.  My regimen is simply this . . . treadmill for a half hour, weight lifting for a half hour, walk the track for 15 minutes.  Done.  Not scientific, and I'll probably add other stuff eventually.  But at 47, I don't need to look like a model.  I just want to be healthy.  The secret is:  FIND A FRIEND TO WORK OUT WITH.  If you don't, you'll be much less motivated.  If you do, you have a commitment to another person to keep.  It works.

I am complimented every day on my success, and my sugar is well under control.  God is a very present help in time of trouble . . . if we let Him.  And I let Him because people who love me are counting on me to be around for them!

Many prayers, Babybear!  And goodbye pounds!
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »

Amen SSV, Babybear I will send you some tips from the book, I'm sure you can find it on the internet especially Christian website, the Author is a Doctor and a Christian, or you can find it in Christian Book stores, I wouldn't look in other well known book store chains, they have very limited Christian material

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 09:03:29 AM »

Oh I forgot to tell you, another good thing to do is drink pleanty of water, drink at least 8 ounces before each meal that way you won't be very hungry, chew your food at least 40 times (who counts?), but anyway chew longer than you have been, eat 5-6 smaller meals, for some reason that works, give your body food to burn that way your metabolism will increase, that is why working out is important, it increases your metabolism which helps burn those calories, if you can't get to a gym, walking after each meal is another good exercise, try not to eat at least 3 hours before bedtime, make breakfast your biggest meeal, lunch the second biggest meal and dinner your lightest meal. Eat plenty of vegetables, try to eat raw vegetables as often as you can. Go easy on the red meats, it takes your digestive system several days to break down red meats. Chicken breasts without the skin is great, stay away from fried foods as often as you can, stay away from sugar substitutes, instead try raw sugar. If you drink soda it's better for you to keep drinking the regular soda indtead of drinking diet sodas, they don't make much of a difference anyway, and the sugar substitutes are not really healthy, drink natural fruit jucies. I have a juicer, I make as much juice as I can drink in one day, since these huices are not pastuerized, they have to be consumed within 24 hours or you may risk getting undesireable bacteria. These are some tips I got from my nutritionist and dietician, not from the book. I have high chlesterol, and high triglicerides (both are controlled thru diet and medicine). I also take coumadin which means I have to stay away from vitamin K which causes the blood to clot faster, so I have to limit my intake of green vegetables (brocolli, green beans, mustard and collard greens, kale, etc) I also have to limit my intake of starchy foods. It sounds hard but it really isn't once you get used to it your body will adjust. I am 5'1" I lost an inch to osteoporosis and I am disabled, which means my mobility is very limited, even though I can walk I can't walk fast or far, nor often. I weigh 121 pounds I can still stand to lose a few pounds but, I lost a lot of weight after I started walking from being in a wheelchair for almost a year I weighed 163 pounds. I am not trying to lose a lot of wight fas I just want to lose as much as I need to and then keep my mweight steady. My weight has been steady for about 4 years now.

danielleenbody

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 05:29:46 PM »

The battle of food.

Well, I have been involved in nutrition and excersise for a number of years and crash dieting doesn't work. I would start simple. Do some walking daily until walking no longer fatigues you and then start with something more intense...."running, stair master...etc." Counting calories without depriving yourself...Nurti - system is great if you don't want to count calories, but those programs can be expensive. If you eat small meals every 3 hours and stay around 1200-1500 calories a day, I can almost guarentee you will lose weight. It will be hard for the first week, but your stomache will shrink, therefore you will be satisfied quicker and you can eat the food you love as long as you only have the 1 serving listed on the package.

I hope this helps....
Good Luck...I will pray for your strength and success.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »

one thing for sure crash diets don't work. go slow change your diet slowly and exchange  red meats for white meat. eat plenty vegetables and fruit.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »

AMEN AM, and eating slow also fills you up faster, try serving yourself smaller portions and eating them slowly, chewing and enjoying every bite.  Cheesy. If you can't exersice (like me) walking is good, you can start out slowly and increase the rate as you feel fit, you can also increase the length of time you walk. If you have access to a pool or to a YMCA you may be able to do water aerobics. Due to my physical limitations I can't swim an inch, so I just hang on to the edge of the pool and do bycicles, or just move my legs as if I were swimming, then I stand and exercise my arms, and finally I hang on to the edge again and twist and turn as far as I can go. It may not seem like much but you are actually burning calories and exercising without hurting yourself. Try to stay away from white sugar, white flour and white rice. No need to go starving, or hurting yourself doing a lot of exerscise, and of course like Brother Amorous said PRAYER, pray while you walk or sing to the Lord.  Cheesy

Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »

LOL,
I took my post down because after I re-read everyones, I saw that I was just repeating everything that was said!
 Grin
Babybear, know that my prayers will be with you and that everything that has been said here is really wonderful advice.
Blessings!
-Am-
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 11:10:12 AM by Amorus » Logged

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »

LOL,
I took my post down because after I re-read everyones, I saw that I was just repeating everything that was said!
 Grin
Babybear, know that my prayers will be with you and that everything that has been said here is really wonderful advice.
Blessings!
-Am-

Well you sure fooled me AM   Shocked Shocked Shocked
I thought I had been seeing things, besides your post said a lot of things that weren't said so feel free to post again, repetition is good.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the