Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Am I a Legalist ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I a Legalist ?  (Read 13666 times)
Chaplain Bob

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 09:36:20 PM »

So if the 10 Commandments was "done away with at the Cross", then I suppose I can lie, curse, cheat, kill, covet, and blaspheme all I want and be fine as a Christian??

Not if you have read the New Testament which prohibits these things.  Methinks thou art being a bit silly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:47:28 PM by Chaplain Bob » Logged

In His Service,
Bob Allen
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 11:01:05 PM »

Huh So if the 10 Commandments was "done away with at the Cross", then I suppose I can lie, curse, cheat, kill, covet, and blaspheme all I want and be fine as a Christian??

No because first of all you know they are wrong in the New Testament Jesus condems adultry, He call liars children of the devil, He talks about our speech, etc. So if we were to do all the things mentioned above we would be sinning.
Remember the 10 Commandments were written for a nation that had been in bondage for over 400 years, who were not permitted to serve their God, they had been exposed to all the pagan gods of the Egyptians, and they had no prophets or priests, now they were delivered and in the wilderness, and no idea about how to serve their God, and barely knew Him at all. It was almost like a child loosed in a candy store feeling sick and lost after eating all the candy and sugar he wanted and needing some sort of discipline. Remember how they behaved even while Moses was up in Mt Zion.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Garden of Glory
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 06:33:53 AM »

Not if you have read the New Testament which prohibits these things.  Methinks thou art being a bit silly.

No,Chaplain Bob , I was being rhetorical with a purpose, not silly.

That purpose, to look honestly with Christian eyes, at THE LAW that God Himself wrote for all of us, not just the Jewish "church" of thousands of years ago. The Body of Christ IS the Israel of modern times. National Israel was terminated as God's missionary people at their rejection of His Son.

Someone here mentioned that Christ while on earth was a LAW-Keeper, and of course this was done in Love, by His empowerment from The Father, not out of His humanity.

That is the only we we may honor His will as simply drawn out in His 10 Commandments.

Again I ask:

It's bizarre to me the big commotion in America over the public display and honoring of the Commandments by Christians is here in this thread  said to be "dead", "done away with", "impossible to keep", and causes folks to be "puffed up".....how can we expect non-christians to respect them when your answers here seem to say that Christians can toss them aside and lean on "grace"??
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:36:35 AM by Garden of Glory » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:05 AM »

Garden Of Glory Said:

Again I ask:

It's bizarre to me the big commotion in America over the public display and honoring of the Commandments by Christians is here in this thread  said to be "dead", "done away with", "impossible to keep", and causes folks to be "puffed up".....how can we expect non-christians to respect them when your answers here seem to say that Christians can toss them aside and lean on "grace"??

It would be the same reason why I don't let anyone rip the Old Testament out of my Bible. All of the things of GOD from Genesis to Revelation are profitable for instruction. America was and is a Christian nation, and we are not ashamed of the things of GOD. You will also find the things of GOD on all of our older public buildings, on our money, and interwoven throughout our society since well before the founding. The ACLU and some folks like them have had a few wins over the years, but our society is still permeated with GOD, including our laws.

Garden of Glory, if you wish to ignore the instructions of Christ and the Cross and live under the Law of Moses, have at it, but don't expect anyone to join you. If you choose the Law, as opposed to Grace, you will be required to live by all of it or be condemned. The extremely simple facts are that there was nothing BUT condemnation under the Law. NO man was ever justified by the Law - NOT ONE except JESUS CHRIST. Under GRACE, there is no condemnation in JESUS. Take the HINT, go to the CROSS, and yield yourself to the righteousness of JESUS. If you don't, you will be insulting the perfect sacrifice made by JESUS CHRIST on the Cross and actually be saying that you have something to add to his already finished WORK. HINT TWO: You have zero - NOTHING to add except your own sin and unrighteousness.

You appear to be determined to ignore the New Testament, JESUS, and the Cross. That's your business, but you will be lost until you yield yourself to JESUS, as JESUS and HIS Righteousness is the ONLY path to Salvation now. You don't have any righteousness of your own - zero - just filthy rags. You're wanting to save yourself by being good and doing good works, but it can't be done.

I'll put ALL my faith and trust in JESUS, not myself or any other man. I suggest that you wake up and do the same.

Tom

Galatians 2:19-21 NASB  "For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

linssue55
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 11:45:51 PM »

Again, I ask....Am I wrong to do what Jesus asks of me ?

LEGALISM IS MAN, BY MANS WORKS TRYING TO GAIN THE APPROBATION OF GOD.......ANYTHING DONE OUTSIDE OF   THE  FILLING SPIRIT (NOT IN FELLOWSHIP-CARNAL) IS LEGALISM TO GOD. ALL WORKS OUTSIDE OF THE SPIRIT, IS WORKS OF THE FLESH, DEAD WORKS, AND WILL BE BURNED AT THE LAST JUDGEMENT.

WHEN WE ARE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT,(1 JOHN 1:9) ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING IS GOOD WORKS......BECAUSE GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT IS NOW IN CONTROL AND WORKING THROUGH US, (EPI-GNOSIS DOCTRINE RESIDENT IN OUR SOULS PRODUCING DIVINE GOOD) HE IS DOING THE WORK......IF AT ANYTIME WE THINK WE CAN DO ANYTHING FOR GOD (EVEN THINKING THAT WE CAN IS A SIN, SIN OF THE ARROGANCE COMPLEX OF SINS, AS IF HE NEEDS OUR HELP AND WE CAN DO BETTER??) WHEN WE ARE OUT OF FELLOWSHIP IS WRONG.

ALL MUST UNDERSTAND (EPI-GNOSIS DOCTRINE) AND HAVE TRUE HUMILITY, THAT IT IS WHAT HE DOES FOR US, HE DOES ALL THE WORK. THIS IS GRACE, THIS IS HIS MAXIMUM LOVE FOR US,.... THEREFORE WE SHOULD STRIVE TO BE CONSTANTLY FILLED, (AND WHEN WE SIN, USE 1 JOHN 1:9 TO GET BACK IN FELLOWSHIP) AND ALLOW THE SPIRIT TO DO IT,..... THIS IS THE GREATEST LOVE WE CAN SHOW THE GODHEAD, BECAUSE WE ARE TRUSTING IN THEM.

THIS IS DIVINE GOOD, THIS IS WHAT WE WILL RECIEVE REWARDS IN HEAVEN FOR, OUR CROWNS OF GLORY.  IT IS ALWAYS WHAT HE DOES FOR US...NEVER WHAT WE DO FOR HIM........HOW CAN WE SINNERS EVER DO ANYTHING FOR GOD? THAT IS ENERGY OF THE FLESH? DEAD WORKS?........WOOD, HAY AND STUBBLE.  BUT WITH THE FILLING OF THE SPIRIT, WE ARE AGAIN RIGHTEOUS, WHERE BEFORE WE WERE UNRIGHTEOUS AND FILLED WITH SIN (GRIEVING AND QUENCHING THE SPIRIT) ....NOW WE ARE CLEANSED AND EMPOWERED, PRODUCING DEVINE GOOD THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN SO GRACIOUSLY TO US FROM THE LORD.....1 JOHN 1:9  IS JUST ONE OF THE 7,000 PROMISES THE LORD HAS GIVEN US.......ALL WE NEED TO DO IS CLAIM IT. 

WE ARE TO KEEP SHORT ACCOUNT OF OUR SINS AND USE 1 JOHN 1:9 EACH TIME WE SIN TO GET BACK INTO FELLOWSHIP.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:59:01 PM by linssue55 » Logged
servant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 03:21:50 AM »

It seems to be that legalism is only wrong if we see rigidly following the law as a way to justify ourselves before God. It's impossible for us to achieve that, and therefore legalism is wrong.

But following God's commandments is not wrong. For one thing, I haven't yet found a commandment which is morally wrong. Let's start with the ten commandments: leaving aside legalism, which of those commandments could I break and still be morally right? The commandments are the foundation of our morality; they were provided by God as a guide so that we might know morally correct behavior. It's like asking whether I'm legalistic because I don't steal my neighbour's car, or because I stop at red lights.

Even if we take things to the extreme and say that the law has no further relevance to us, the point remains, as it was made by Paul two thousand years ago: all things may be permitted, but not all things are beneficial.
Garden of Glory
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 03:55:12 AM »

Exactly,servant Justification (the making of a man acceptable to God) is through Christ's heart replacing my sinful heart. No sinful heart can ever keep the Commandments are never actually wants to!

It is through misinformation or neglect that any Christian hates God's Commandments, finds them a burden, or a yoke of bondage. The 600 plus Jewish church's now defunct laws (ceremonial and rabbinical) are hateful and a burden...but "Thou shalt not bare false witness...Thou shalt not kill...Thou steal...Thou shalt not covet..." etc, a burden, dead, legalistic and crucified?Huh
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:56:22 AM by Garden of Glory » Logged
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

The law I believe was written to show us the right way to live.  It was also written to show us how much we mess up and need a savior.  God knows that we can't live up to His standards and that is why He died for us.  So that He could offer a perfect sacrifice that would clean us of our sins and transgressions once and for all.

AMEN!!!  The point of the Law wasn't to show man what he needs to do to be righteous, but that he needs help being righteous.  Once the righteousness of Christ is applied to our lives through saving grace, we are righteous.  We don't obey these laws to be righteous.  We obey them because we are righteous.

The Law was never provisional.  It's always been positional. 

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 08:14:30 AM »

That purpose, to look honestly with Christian eyes, at THE LAW that God Himself wrote for all of us, not just the Jewish "church" of thousands of years ago. The Body of Christ IS the Israel of modern times. National Israel was terminated as God's missionary people at their rejection of His Son.

Well now that answers my question!   Wink

Someone here mentioned that Christ while on earth was a LAW-Keeper, and of course this was done in Love, by His empowerment from The Father, not out of His humanity.

EEEEEEEEEERRRH!  Wrong answer!   Cheesy Seriously though, Jesus obedience was done in His humanity.  Otherwise, He couldn't have been truly "...tempted in all points like as we are yet without sin."   Smiley

That is the only we we may honor His will as simply drawn out in His 10 Commandments.

If I'm understanding you correctly...I'll agree.  We obey out of love.

And I ask:

If you keep each commandment...are they going to see Christ more in your life than in mine?  And, how exactly are they going to know that you're keeping them?  Must you verbally tell people you're a commandment keeper?  Will they see your obedience?  Jesus took these commandments to the next level: thought versus action.  Can they see your thoughts?  If not, how can they know you've been a commandment keeper or no?

Simply put, these are personal matters.  Personally, I do my best to obey my God in love for all that He has done for me.  But I never forget that in and of myself, I will never measure up to His standard.  That's not a defeatist attitude.  That's a (for lack of a better word and not attempting to build myself up) humble response to God's sovereignty.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Garden of Glory
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

I agree with many things you said there, allinall.

I,  like you, do not see Christ overcoming temptation in His Diety, but in His humanity. The power came from the Father to obey the Commandments, which is the ultimate definition of right-doing. " Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the Law: for sin is the transgression of the Law." 1John 3:4

Christ's empowerment to resist sin came as it must for us, from the Father. In this manner He is more intimately our Guide.  See:

As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. John 6:57

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. John 5:19 

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. John 5:30

This is why He was "much in prayer" as He had to link Himself to the Father, just as we must do, via Christ, aided by the Spirit.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:17:09 AM by Garden of Glory » Logged
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 08:10:31 AM »

Pilgrim,

Your points are...interesting to say the least. Are you the pilgrim who used to post at HL? Are you the Pilgrim who said that he was posting on the 'Prophecy Web'? Are you the 65 year old Pilgrim, who hasn't aged over 65 since 2001? That Pilgrim? Are you the Pilgrim who had a new grand baby within the last year and a half? And last but not least, are you the Pilgrim who is concerned that everyone get a good nights sleep? If you are this 'Pilgrim' then "Hi!" and if you are not this Pilgrim ignore this post.

God bless you!

Sorry! I am not that Pilgrim.

Steve

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 01:56:40 PM »

Pilgrim,
 If you are this 'Pilgrim' then "Hi!" and if you are not this Pilgrim ignore this post.

God bless you!

You mean to say you won't say Hi to this Pilgrim  Huh Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I will Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hi Pilgrim   Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »

Iam2worship,

I am not refusing to say hi to anyone. I have already "met" you, but I will be the first, one on this thread, to say "hello" to you. "Hello Iam2worship." God bless and have a great day.

Matter of fact I will say to every single person here "HI and God bless".

I feel better.

LOL, that was cute Hope Cheesy I was trying to make a joke about your post when you said if you said "If your'e that Pilgrim then Hi if not ignore this post."  I thought that was cute so I made a joke of it. you misunderstood my joke that's all.
We like to have a little fun here at the forum too you know.
I know you already said hi to me you are very sweet.  Cheesy

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2006, 05:54:42 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am a Christianaholic!

When I got to this part of the 4-page thread, I almost forgot the original topic--so, to be in sync with everyone else, "Hello and God's Blessings to everyone". There, I think I am covered.

I know what Jesus said about the Ten Commandments, and I also totally say AMEN that we, as human beings can't keep them. That is why Jesus came--to take away our sin. We need to repent, and we are forgiven. I am probably a bit off key with my answer, but it is late, I have 5 children, and it is over 90 degrees here in Kansas--bear with me.

I don't have a problem with displaying or not displaying the 10 commandments. My issue is that, ANYTHING having to do with Christianity these days, seems to be against the constitution--even though God's name is written throughout our entire countries historical records. I have a problem with, Mosques and Hindu alters being okay to display outside, but Christian nativity sets, the word Christmas and the Ten Commandments display not. I have a problem with the Muslim religion being defended, but Christianity constantly being attacked. I have a problem where, if we show a movie depicting another religion being bad, there is always BAD PRESS. But, we continue to show anti-Christianity movies--like the Da Vinci code--but if a Christian protests about it, they are called silly and/or extreme.

There, I had my say. Now, what was the question again?

God Bless!

God Bless You Always!
In The Precious Love of Jesus,
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the