Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:01:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  POLL: What is a TROLL?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: In relation to a forum or news group, what is the definition of the word "TROLL"?
A mythical and ugly beast that lives in the woods, generally under rocks or logs. - 4 (23.5%)
A hairy goblin like creature that catches and eats goats. - 3 (17.6%)
A short, dirty, and ugly sub-human who still lives in caves. - 0 (0%)
A poster with no interest in the group with intent to disrupt, flame, and destroy the group. - 8 (47.1%)
Other - Your own description. - 2 (11.8%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POLL: What is a TROLL?  (Read 7093 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2003, 01:37:14 PM »

This is a hard one, but do your best to answer this question and post a message about the reason for your answer. The real answer has been hermetically sealed under the porch of Funk and Wagnal, and it may or may not be opened. Jump in and have a little bit of fun. The first poster who can prove they have been struck by a lightning bolt will be declared the winner, acknowledged to have the only correct answer, and be awarded the grand prize of one happy meal. SMALL PRINT: the grand prize will be awarded in portions annually for a 5 year period starting in the year 2020.

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 02:15:00 PM »

Ooh! Ooh! I know, I know.....

Can I choose "All of the Above"??  Wink

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 02:28:15 PM »

Ooh! Ooh! I know, I know.....

Can I choose "All of the Above"??  Wink

Oklahoma Howdy to SincereHeart,

Grin  LOL - I didn't think about all of the above. You just might have the only correct answer.

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 02:36:22 PM »

ROFL!
Uh... if I do won that glorious prize, may I pass on it?  Lips Sealed

Tongue

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 02:43:35 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Stay tuned here for a TROLL ALERT and TROLL STAMPEDE advisory.   Grin

I voted for #4 - A poster with no interest in the group with intent to disrupt, flame, and destroy the group.

I searched for a more complete definition, but there appears to be considerable confusion on this topic.  Grin

I consulted with Funk and Wagnal, but they wouldn't give me the correct answer. I did a google search and came up with some very funny definitions for this term, and some that are not so funny.

Basically, a TROLL is someone who could be considered to be a type of fisherman. They cast out bait in the form of an inflammatory or shocking message designed to hook the jaw of the regular forum user. The regular forum user is supposed to get angry, start a flame war, and get off topic from the real purpose of the forum or news group.

The regular forum member is viewed like a fish by the TROLL. The TROLL wishes to catch this fish and try to make it flop like a fish out of water, creating great joy for the TROLL.  Grin

I think we need MASSIVE funding for a government program designed to track, hunt down, and imprison or exterminate TROLLS. I would vote for extermination since they are rarely useful for anything else.   Grin

Stay tuned for more TROLL news.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 04:02:39 PM »

Hello All,

Here's the latest information on TROLLS. I had no idea they had ranks, but the higher the number, the higher the rank.

Troll 1 - This is usually a "wannabe" troll or a beginner troll. However, they can be a troll "groupie", someone who just loves to hang around trolls.

Troll 2 - These trolls have been accepted as a hate and discontent bringer. They're not very good at it, but they're learning. This level is known for being put down rather easily, and they become the hunted instead of the hunter.

Troll 3 - These trolls have the basic skills and usually attack in groups. They usually cause hate, discontent, and disruption for short periods of time, lose interest, and move on for greater fun. This level hasn't learned that they will be caught and embarrassed if they stick around too long in one place.

There you have it. Troll 3 is the highest rank. There might be a level 4 if they could attract people of greater intelligence.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 04:15:41 PM »

Hello All,

I think that we've had troll sightings on Christians Unite before. In fact, I think that we have several resident trolls right now. It is important to categorize troll attacks in an effort to properly warn regular users of Christians Unite.  Wink

Troll Alert - 1-3 trolls are on board creating a nuisance that can be easily dealt with.

Troll Stampede - 3 or more trolls have organized and are attacking in unison, creating disruption and discontent.

Here you go for your use:   Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 04:21:34 PM »

ROFL!
Uh... if I do won that glorious prize, may I pass on it?  Lips Sealed

Tongue

SincereHeart,

Grin  Who would the lucky recipient be?

IrishAngel
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 06:33:41 PM »

A troll is a person in either a newsgroup or a chatroom or message board who deliberately posts or says off-topic, inflammatory statements for the sake of being the center of attention for a moment and disrupting the flow of the group/chatroom/board. They are there to do nothing more than tear down and defame. They aren't interested in a real debate. They aren't interested in what you have to say. They only care for destruction. As such, they should be ignored.

BUT...(oh here she goes again) ...Jesus said to leave the tares amoung the wheat...until the harvest...and even trolls cant stop themselves from being affected by the word, even if they do not intend to allow that to happen  Smiley  

silly poll  Roll Eyes

bep thats gotta be the cheapest prize in the history of mankind ...you debased the lovely word GRAND oh so low   Roll Eyes

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 08:54:12 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to IrishAngel,

I loved your post. You gave a much better definition of "TROLL" than I was able to find in a google search. I should have consulted you.

One site had a fairly descriptive method of dealing with trolls. They compared a troll to a wart. The troll should either be surgically removed or ignored. They were somewhat divided on this question.   Cheesy

By the way, I'll try to work on that grand prize.   Grin

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 10:41:36 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I did another Google search and found a hillarious web page that classifies trolls into identified species. If you want to have a laugh, take a look at this web page:

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/2342/waste.html

They list the following species of trolls. I'll let you go to the web page for the full description and a real laugh.

Troll Vulgaris (the Common Troll)

Troll Neanderthalis (Primitive Troll)

Troll Pretentious (The Braniac Maniac Troll)

Troll Hoaxus (The False Report Troll)

Troll Napoleonus (The Delusion-of-Identity Troll)

Troll Inflammatis (Flaming Troll)

Troll Porkus-biproductis (Spamming Troll)

Troll Infinitus (Armus Troll)

I didn't find any bad language on the site, but I didn't check any links. Sorry, no pictures either.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 11:40:18 PM »

A poster who has no interest in the group other than to gain a response as if throwing the line out there-hence the term, "troll." (Fishing for responses.) Typically flamers and outrageous posters who really want nothing more than attention.  Roll Eyes

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 03:05:58 AM »

A poster who has no interest in the group other than to gain a response as if throwing the line out there-hence the term, "troll." (Fishing for responses.) Typically flamers and outrageous posters who really want nothing more than attention.  Roll Eyes

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse,

I think that is probably the most correct answer when it comes to forums and newsgroups. IT IS GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK ON CHRISTIANS UNITE. WE MISSED YOU.

I hope that everything is OK with you and your family. The last I heard was everything had made a turn for the better and everything was working out. I was very happy to see God working things out for the benefit of the family and the ministry.

In Christ,
Tom

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2003, 08:45:45 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse,

I think that is probably the most correct answer when it comes to forums and newsgroups. IT IS GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK ON CHRISTIANS UNITE. WE MISSED YOU.

Ain't it the truth! Luv ya and missed ya Whitehorse!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 10:21:41 PM »

Thanks guys! I love and missed you, too.

Well, it's been interesting around here. Some big ups and some big downs. And I was very badly behaved today because...well, I was. And now I want to hide under a table.  Embarrassed

(I'm just so tired of it that I let the situation get to me.)

But on the good side, I had a great time this weekend. God has been very close and has been making His fellowship very sweet this week. Went hiking!!! Heard a great sermon at church that really hit home. Alas, despite all that I'm still cwabby. But tomorrow I resolve not to be. Tomorrow is going to be a great day.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the