Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:21:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 Baptism in Jesus Name
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 Baptism in Jesus Name  (Read 18181 times)
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2006, 08:57:13 AM »

How many ways are there we can be saved?

God sent Jesus Christ, His only Son, so that we might have new, everlasting life. The Bible tells us, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). By His death and resurrection, Jesus paid for our salvation. He broke the power of sin and death, making it possible for us to have everlasting life. The life of God raised Jesus from the dead and He was the first born Son into the kingdom of God.

Romans 10:13
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

linssue55
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »

I have a simple question and that is, in the book of Acts the only mode or formula used for baptism was in the Name of Jesus Christ, my question is why is  not this the formula used throughout christianity today?

God Bless in Jesus Name

I would probably say because of people's free will?!  Is this your question?? not sure what you are asking?

37~~ Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their hearts {frontal lobes}, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, "What shall we {unbelievers} do {about the Lord Jesus Christ}?

38~~ Then Peter said face to face unto them, for their benefit, all of you repent {change your mind about Christ}. And receive baptism every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ because of the remission {payment for} of sins, and you shall receive the Holy Spirit.

{Note: To Jews to have a change of mind means accept Jesus as the 'Anointed One' or 'Christ' mentioned in the Old Testament as your savior and thou shall be saved. When speaking to Gentiles, Paul says believe in Christ and thou shall be saved because they had NOT STUDIED the Jew's Old Testament! Both phrases mean the same thing - only the audiences are different}.

39~~ For the promise is unto you {unbelievers}, and to your children, and to all that are far off {refers to the gentiles}, even as many as the Lord our God shall invite.

{Note: He invites all members of the human race to select salvation. It is up to our own free will to accept or reject His Gift.}
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »

to Satisfied mind:

It seems that I owe you an appology if you feel that I have decided to "pick and choose" verses to fit my
personal opinions! Please investigate into some of my others posts, and you will quickly see that this is not
at all what I portray!

I chose Rom 10:13 specifically because of the verses that preceed . Rom 10:9-10 to be more precise.
I most strongly advocate repentance, submission to the spirit, verbally calling upon the mighty name of
Jesus, and all the other points you brought into question!

The dificulty is that we can not , due to time and space, completely present our full doctine each time a point
is being made. I was simply attempting to address the question, not present a disortation of faith!

respectfully yours in Yeshua ha machiach:

Rev. Joseph E. Barnhouse Sr.  (ravenloche)

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Satisfied MInd

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »

to Satisfied mind:

It seems that I owe you an appology if you feel that I have decided to "pick and choose" verses to fit my
personal opinions! Please investigate into some of my others posts, and you will quickly see that this is not
at all what I portray!

I chose Rom 10:13 specifically because of the verses that preceed . Rom 10:9-10 to be more precise.
I most strongly advocate repentance, submission to the spirit, verbally calling upon the mighty name of
Jesus, and all the other points you brought into question!

The dificulty is that we can not , due to time and space, completely present our full doctine each time a point
is being made. I was simply attempting to address the question, not present a disortation of faith!

respectfully yours in Yeshua ha machiach:

Rev. Joseph E. Barnhouse Sr.  (ravenloche)

Apology accepted, although not needed!  Smiley   I know it is hard(for me anyway) to adequetly express myself and what I believe the Bible teaches in a way that is thorough, but not condecesing, judgemental or mean spirited via these message boards.  I guess sometimes I try to condense somethings and, then leave something out and it may come across to you or others the same way as picking and choosing.  I do enjoy these discussions! 
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2008, 09:31:03 PM »

If we look at the context , it is not about salvation . In v36 Peter is accusing them crucifiying , both Lord and Christ. Then in v37 his hearers were pricked in there hearts and ask Peter  what shall we do ? Do about what ? we killed Him , and we can bring Him back from the dead ? Peter says REPENT  ( repent of what  , THE murder of Christ ) then Peter tells them tobe baptized, and to me , this Not salvation , but repentance of Christ murder.
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »

I see serveral reason why Acts 2:38 is not used for today. One it is a Jewish Feast, Peter in his Pentecost address is acussing those present of the murder of their Messiah. Then they say what shall we do ? The question is , do about what ? We killed Him , and that blood is on our hands. Peter than tells them to repent and be baptized, and please notice , it is only Jews who are baptized.    BUT Matt 28: 19 is very different answer. The formula is to be used to the whole world, and IS PART OF THE ABRAHAMIC COVENANT.
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »

To me I see , that in Acts 2:38 where Peter is accusing them of the murder of their Messiah. they repond with what shall we do ? What can they do , they killed him, and we can't bring him back. Peter than tells them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins  ( for the murder ) and they will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. I say that only Jews can receive this baptism and that why it not used. But in Matt 28: 19 this baptism is to the world and has to be used with the Abrahamic Covenant, and this baptism will not be force ,because it is future.
scotty

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »

To me I see , that in Acts 2:38 where Peter is accusing them of the murder of their Messiah. they repond with what shall we do ? What can they do , they killed him, and we can't bring him back. Peter than tells them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins  ( for the murder ) and they will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. I say that only Jews can receive this baptism and that why it not used. But in Matt 28: 19 this baptism is to the world and has to be used with the Abrahamic Covenant, and this baptism will not be force ,because it is future.

This baptism is not just for the Jews and is very much alive today

Joel 2
28 "And afterward,
       I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
       Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
       your old men will dream dreams,
       your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
       I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

Acts 2:39
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Romans 10
12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,

Galatians 3
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colosians 3
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

dan p

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »

I have to  disagree. The Body of Christ is NOT, NOT, NOT in view here, and if it is give verse where it is, please. The words in v39 are NOT for the Body and there is not a scintilla of proof that Peter know what yet had not been written, about the Body of Christ , since it was hid in God , and only revealed to the Apostle Paul after Acts 9.  Acts 2:38 is about the killing of Jesus and the Body of Christ was NOT yet in existence, and the Jews of that time said, WHAT SHALL WE DO ? Peter told them what to do, repent and be baptized, AND THIS COULD ONLY HAPPEN FOR THAT TIME ONLY.  Only Jews said , " what shall we do " ?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »

I have to  disagree. The Body of Christ is NOT, NOT, NOT in view here, and if it is give verse where it is, please. The words in v39 are NOT for the Body and there is not a scintilla of proof that Peter know what yet had not been written, about the Body of Christ , since it was hid in God , and only revealed to the Apostle Paul after Acts 9.  Acts 2:38 is about the killing of Jesus and the Body of Christ was NOT yet in existence, and the Jews of that time said, WHAT SHALL WE DO ? Peter told them what to do, repent and be baptized, AND THIS COULD ONLY HAPPEN FOR THAT TIME ONLY.  Only Jews said , " what shall we do " ?

Hello Dan P,

You're completely correct. When we study the Holy Bible, we must remember that the Twelve were Apostles to the Jews ("The Circumcision"). The Twelve had no clue what the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST was. This was a secret not made known to men of other ages, so the Twelve had never even heard about it. The Twelve only found out about the BODY OF CHRIST when the Apostle Paul taught them. We must also remember that the Apostle Paul had problems throughout his ministry with others trying to install Jewish Legal practices in the churches that Paul started. The Apostle Paul even held conferences to stop the attempted Judaizing of the Gentile Churches. This was a matter of great controversy at the time, so the words of the Apostle Paul about this problem were BOLD and BLUNT.

The confusion of the Twelve was natural and expected. They were waiting for an earthly Kingdom with JESUS CHRIST as King and Messiah. The Apostle Paul had a better HOPE that he shared with the Twelve. The Twelve did accept it as the TRUTH eventually, mainly because it was the TRUTH. However, the earthly Kingdom with JESUS CHRIST as King is a future event that is also the Complete TRUTH. Israel will be restored after the SECOND COMING OF CHRIST, and CHRIST will rule as the KING over the earth from the throne of David in Jerusalem. As Christians, we ALREADY have a Heavenly Kingdom. CHRIST is already our KING, and we've already been rescued from the curse of sin and death. As Christians, we already have a Heavenly HOME, and we're just waiting to go HOME to mansions already prepared for us by GOD. We aren't waiting to be RESTORED. If we physically die, "Absent from the body - present with the LORD". We do await our Promised Glorified Body because flesh and blood can't receive our waiting Heavenly Inheritance.

Galatians 2:19-21  For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.  20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.  21  I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

We will find many other like passages in the writing of the Apostle Paul because this was a big problem he dealt with for his entire ministry.

Galatians 1:6-12  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:  7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.  8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.  9  As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.  10  For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.  11  But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.  12  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Favorite Bible Quotes 423 - Psalms 56:3-4 What time I am afraid, I
will trust in thee. 4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put
my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:37:43 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Theophilocrates
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »

Seeing the relationship between faith and works coming into focus I gently and deferentially dip my toe into the waters of your forum by paraphasing and emphasizing a collection of relevant passages from James and Galatians.
They touch on the transition from God’s promise to Abraham, through the Law and The Prophets, and onto Christ’s fulfilment of God’s promise that ‘Faith’, such as evidenced by appropriate ‘Works’, would be accountable for righteousness.

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel.
Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
So the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

That no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, the just shall live by faith.

Now, it was to Abraham and his seed that the promises were made.
For he saith not, and to seeds, as of many, but as of one; and to thy seed, which is Christ.
And this I say, that the covenant (or promise), that was confirmed before of God in Christ, cannot be disannulled and made of none effect by the law, which came four hundred and thirty years later.
For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
What purpose then serveth the law?
It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made.
Is the law then against the promises of God?
God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
There is now therefore neither Jew nor Greek, neither bond nor free, neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As to the law whosoever shall keep it, and yet offend in one point, is guilty of all.
So what doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works?
Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Can faith save him?
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, whereas I have works:
Shew me thy faith without works, and I will shew thee my faith by works.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought by Abraham’s works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness:

Thou, O man, thinkest that thy faith is sufficient?
Thou believest that there is one God?.... thou doest well:
Do not the devils also believe, and tremble?

But wilt thou, O vain man, know that faith without works is dead?
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

Hello Theophilocrates,

I see that you're new, so WELCOME!

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite.

I do disagree with you, but I'm not going to argue the point. I'll simply say that faith ALONE in Christ is accounted as righteousness. In fact, it's Christ's Righteousness imputed to our account - BECAUSE we have NONE of our own. Works have nothing to do with obtaining Salvation or keeping Salvation. A man or woman with NO works can be Saved and stay saved. There are portions of Scripture that exhort (urge) Christians to do good works - but NOT for Salvation. There are also portions of Scripture that point out that works and conduct are part of our Living Testimony before men. There are still other portions of Scripture that clearly promise rewards above and beyond Salvation for good works. However, Good Works have nothing to do with obtaining or keeping Salvation. Salvation has always been by the Grace and Love of GOD through our faith. This is true before and after the CROSS. Faith Alone results in Salvation. Other things are an expression of our love and appreciation. Good Works are just one way to express our love and appreciation. Without Good Works, our FAITH appears to be dead before men in our personal testimony. A SAVED person without Good Works will NOT receive rewards above and beyond Salvation, but they are still saved. In short, Good Works are urged and should be natural for nearly all SAVED people, but Good Works have never been required.

Romans 11:6  And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

2 Timothy 1:9  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Romans 4:1-25  What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?  2  For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.  3  For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.  4  Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.  5  But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.  6  Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,  7  Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.  8  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.  9  Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.  10  How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.  11  And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:  12  And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.  13  For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.  14  For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:  15  Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.  16  Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,  17  (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.  18  Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.  19  And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:  20  He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;  21  And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.  22  And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.  23  Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;  24  But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;  25  Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

By the way, I believe strongly in Good Works, BUT not for OR to keep Salvation. NO man has anything worthy to give for Salvation or to keep Salvation. SO, Salvation is by GOD'S Grace, GOD'S Love, and our FAITH Alone in JESUS CHRIST. Any Work associated with Salvation has already been completed Perfectly by GOD. By the way, differences are ONLY eliminated in CHRIST! GOD still knows the difference between the lost and the Saved. GOD also knows the difference between CHRIST'S CHURCH and Israel.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Favorite Bible Quotes 250 - John 13:19 Now I tell you before it come,
that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

Theophilocrates
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »

Hello BEP (Tom)
I do disagree with you
But I didn't express an opinion Huh
Unless you mean "relevant passages from James and Galatians touch on the transition from God’s promise to Abraham, through the Law and The Prophets, and onto Christ’s fulfilment of God’s promise that ‘Faith’, such as evidenced by appropriate ‘Works’, would be accountable for righteousness"
But your reply didn't seem to indicate that as being what you disagreed with.
After all, I didn't suggest that it was the 'appropriate works' that would be accountable for righteousness.
I simply agreed with the scripture that said that it was the 'faith', (such as was evidenced by 'appropriate works') that would beaccountable for righteousness.
Sorry if you misunderstood me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:49:43 AM by Theophilocrates » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »

Hello BEP (Tom)But I didn't express an opinion Huh
Unless you mean "relevant passages from James and Galatians touch on the transition from God’s promise to Abraham, through the Law and The Prophets, and onto Christ’s fulfilment of God’s promise that ‘Faith’, such as evidenced by appropriate ‘Works’, would be accountable for righteousness"
But your reply didn't seem to indicate that as being what you disagreed with.
After all, I didn't suggest that it was the 'appropriate works' that would be accountable for righteousness.
I simply agreed with the scripture that said that it was the 'faith', (such as was evidenced by 'appropriate works') that would beaccountable for righteousness.
Sorry if you misunderstood me.

Hello Theophilocrates,

I didn't misunderstand you. I understood completely. Your paraphrase emphasis on works is what I disagree with. You stated it again in this post. Remove "WORKS" completely when talking about Salvation, and you'll have the Bible Answer. Faith Alone in CHRIST is how we are SAVED. If one wants to insert "WORKS", they would be the WORKS of GOD - not man. FAITH is the only worthy thing that man has to give. Man's OWN righteousness is as filthy rags. The ONLY righteousness a SAVED person has is the Righteousness IMPUTED to him or her from CHRIST. If we wanted to discuss something OTHER than Salvation, our good works could enter the picture.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Favorite Bible Quotes 45 - 1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the
beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes,
which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of
life; 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear
witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the
Father, and was manifested unto us;) 3 That which we have seen and
heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us:
and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus
Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be
full.

Theophilocrates
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2008, 08:53:21 AM »

Hi again BEP (Tom),

Looks like we have to gently banter towards an agreement, or at least an understanding, if possible.
Remove "WORKS" completely when talking about Salvation, and you'll have the Bible Answer
I don't want to over elaborate or appear to 'Spam' but I'm now going to spend some time reproducing my post without emphasis, and with quotes indicating chapter and verse source of  everything that I posted.(I added no words of my own)

But I may perhaps faintly colour all references to works so that you can see how much it diminishes scripture by such removal as you suggest.
If it appears to be costructive I'll be back.
Thanks for your patience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the