Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 Baptism in Jesus Name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 Baptism in Jesus Name  (Read 18153 times)
colonel

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »

I have a simple question and that is, in the book of Acts the only mode or formula used for baptism was in the Name of Jesus Christ, my question is why is  not this the formula used throughout christianity today?

God Bless in Jesus Name

May the Lord's grace be shed abroad in your heart in Jesus Name
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »

As in most such things men tend to go their own way.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
diverdave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »

I am a new to this forum but would like to add my comments to Colonel's posting.

He says:

"I have a simple question and that is, in the book of Acts the only mode or formula used for baptism was in the Name of Jesus Christ, my question is why is  not this the formula used throughout christianity today?"

Pastor Roger's answer seemed too simplistic. Pastor Roger says: "As in most such things men tend to go their own way" 

My answer: The Devil and his co-workers are the Christians enemy:  Ephesians 6:12  "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places"

The Baptism into Jesus name is not a formula, it is a command from Jesus. It was the last thing he said before ascending into Heaven. It also included the Father first and the Holy Ghost after Jesus.

Matthew 28:18-20  "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

The people in Acts 2:37 were pricked in their hearts after Peter preached Jesus to them and asked him what they should do. Peter gave them the answer in Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"  The gift of the Holy Ghost is given after baptism.  No other way of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is given in scripture.

Romans 6:3-8  "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:"

Belief in the Gospel and baptism into Jesus is the only way given in scripture to live your life in Him and he in you by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Baptism alone is not sufficient. As an example, John the baptist's baptism was not sufficient.

Acts 19:1-7 "And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.  And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve."

Belief and proclaimed "Faith" is not sufficient to become a future member of the bride of Christ. We have to be justified. Justified means righteousness before God. Jesus gave us the way to achieve this at his baptism.

Matthew 3:13-15  "Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him"

Jesus says baptism is the way to fulfil all righteousness, which means justification before God.

Faith alone does not get people into Christ no matter how sincere or devout they may be. They have to follow the commands and example of Jesus. Faith is dead without baptism. Abraham was commanded to sacrifice his son. We are not commanded to do something so drastic to obtain righteousness. We are commanded to be baptised.

James 2:16-24  "And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only"   Baptism into Jesus is our command from Jesus.

May the Lord bless your studies.

Dave Porter

Jessie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »

Faith alone does not get people into Christ no matter how sincere or devout they may be. They have to follow the commands and example of Jesus. Faith is dead without baptism. Abraham was commanded to sacrifice his son. We are not commanded to do something so drastic to obtain righteousness. We are commanded to be baptised.

ok, i'm confused. Dave says faith alone does not get people into Christ. We have to follow his commandments. But i thought we are saved ONLY by faith and belief and acceptance.  Not by any works or following of the law.  Yes, we are commanded to get baptzied..but if we dont...we are still saved. Right?

Second,  Colonel confused me. I thought we WERE baptized in the name of Jesus. I was. My pastor baptized me in the name of the Father, Jesus and in the Holy Ghost. AM i understanding everything right?

"One man's wrong lead, is another man's counter canter."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »

Hi Jessie,

Yes, Jesus Himself said to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

And yes Salvation is based on faith, not works.

Luk 7:50  And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

There are many that attempt to bring us back into bondage by making works a part of Salvation. Works are not a requirement of Salvation but because of Salvation. When we are saved we do good works because we love God and want to please Him not because we are required to do so for Salvation or for justification.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »

Amen PR, Jesus paid it all, all our sins are covered, nothing we could do will change that.

We are saved because of the Blood of Jesus. When we recieve Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, He comes into our heart, and along with Him the fruits of the Spirit.

Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Ga 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Love was mentioned before all others;

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity (love) Love is the greatest of these and because of this love we do good works.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »

Love was mentioned before all others;

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity (love) Love is the greatest of these and because of this love we do good works.

Wink

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
asaph

Call on Jesus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 02:14:23 AM »

I have a simple question and that is, in the book of Acts the only mode or formula used for baptism was in the Name of Jesus Christ, my question is why is  not this the formula used throughout christianity today?

God Bless in Jesus Name
Since Christ is the embodiment of the triune God, to be baptized in the name of Jesus is to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. You will note that in Matthew 28 it says "name", not names. Jesus is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The name denotes the person. God is triune. The name Jesus is the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. So it's ok to be baptized in the name of Jesus.

Col 1:19  For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell;
Col 2:9  For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.
Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

One of the things we are commanded to do is be baptized and to baptize others. Do not try to decipher it, just obey. Be like the Ethiopian who after hearing the gospel said: Act 8:36 ...  "See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?"

When Phillip preached the gospel he included the teaching of baptism. Otherwise tell me why the man was so determined to be baptized.

Peter said: Act 2:38 ..." Repent, and be baptized..." all in one breath. He did not stop and explain that it is just symbolic and not necessary. Why do we do this? Because we are afraid someone might not understand the doctrine of justification by faith alone. This is hogwash, we repent by faith, we are baptized by faith we grow in grace by faith. Lets let the operation of God work in us through the obedience of Faith.

asaph

ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »

Greetings fellow bretheren:

This is an interesting question that has caused some serious debate over the years.
before I get too involved in the question, let me remind everyone that baptism is
an act that follows salvation, and in no way is a condition of salvation. Rom 10:13
tells us that "they that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"  No where
in there does the word tell us we must first be baptized to be saved.

Anyone can be baptized, if they go into the water a dry sinner, they come out of
the water a wet sinner! Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. 1Cor.5:17
says: "if any man be in Christ he is a new creature, old things have passed away, and
behold all things have become new"!

Matt 28:19 was quoted earlier,  because it was Jesus who told us to baptize in the name
of the father, the son, and the holy ghost. My question is this to all who will answer:
What is the father's name?  What is the son's name? What is the name of the holy ghost?

Nest question: is there one name that will entail, and encompass, the name of the whole
godhead?

I am a father, but that is not my name! I am also a son, but that too is not my name!

Isaiah 42:8 tells us "I am the Lord, that is my name, and my glory I will not give to another!"
In the book of Matt. we see that the name given to the son was Jesus(this is the
English name used ) In Luke 2:11 we read unto you is born a savior, who is Christthe Lord

This would bring the name of the Godhead to:  Lord  Jesus  Christ   (in English)  Adonai Yeshua ha
Machiach (in Hebrew)

Does this mean that I am one of those who are Jesus only?  NO !  NO! AND A THOUSAND TIMES NO!
I believe in there being three seperate personalities of the Godhead. father, son, and holy ghost!
I just hapen to believe that their name when refered to as one G-d is Lord Jesus Christ!

One more point to bring to attention! Paul said we need to lay aside the doctrines of baptism , and
other foundational doctrines: and to press on to the mark of the prize of the high callling in Christ
Jesus. The doctrine of baptism will not lead us into salvation, or cause us to walk on the streets of
gold.; but: the doctrines of true salvation and living and working for Jesus will lead us to
salvation, and fellowship with the father, the son, and the holy ghost!

respectfully yours in Yeshua:

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Dave...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »

ravenloche
Nest question: is there one name that will entail, and encompass, the name of the whole godhead?

I think that Asaph dealt with this question. BTW Asaph, very interesting read.

I was taught a while back something interesting, but I am unable to confirm it. I was told that the reason that it was taught to have a water baptisms in Jesus' name only in some places in the Bible, while Jesus Himself said to do it in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, was because for the Jew the Father and The Holy Spirit were not a problem. This was readily accepted and was common, but it was the public profession of the Son, Jesus, that would bring death, disbandment, etc. So the public profession of the Son by baptism was the only profession that the Jew needed to make to serve the purpose of the public profession. I think that it's safe to say, and i'm sure you would agree that this was not some magical saying as in "open says me", but the importance of the baptism was a public profession and an outward expression of an inward truth, the Spirtual baptism by Jesus with the Holy Spirit into His Body that every believer receives at the first moment of believing in faith.

When we get outside of the Jewish believers and their OT background, namely the gentiles, the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit was the correct way since they had no background that already accepted the Father and the Holy Spirit.

There's nothing really that would back me up on this theory in scripture, but it does make a lot of sense. Just a thought...

Take it for what it's worth.

Peace
1Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36:49 AM »

I'll throw out something here I think applies to a lot of scripture, and I think we all get tangled in from time to time.

We have recorded for us that Peter said, "...in the name of Jesus Christ...", but just because that is the only thing recorded does not guarantee that is the only thing said or implied.  Left as is, the quote does not contradict Matt 28:18-20.  Also, it is certainly possible Peter could have made that statement, then immediately afterward, qualified it with words like, "...in the name of the father, son and HG", and the recorder simply omitted that qualification, because the subject of Peters testemony was Jesus.

I believe the thought of Acts 2:38, was later re-qualified, just one chapter later, by the same author, in Acts 3:19-20

Acts 2:38
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19,20
19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20 and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus.

I believe the subject of both statements is 'repent'.  The result of repentance, is forgiveness, and the result of being forgiven, and therefore right with God (righteuss) is the gift of the Holy Ghost / Jesus indwelling us.

As He leads
1Tim
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 04:59:07 AM »

Amen 1Tim. When we study the Bible we must study the whole Bible. Taking one verse by itself and applying it and it alone can lead to all kinds of misconceptions.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:53:29 AM »

I'd like to add just one little not here, when the followers of John the Baptist were baptized, they were not baptized in the name of Jesus, because Jesus was still on earth as a man, but once Jesus was crucified, resurrected, and ascended into Heaven, we are to baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Jesus had not all authority and power given to Him, and before He ascended into Heaven He gave that command, because He was no longer on earth. He had completed the reason He came to earth. So we must baptize and be baptized in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Satisfied MInd

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »

ok, i'm confused. Dave says faith alone does not get people into Christ. We have to follow his commandments. But i thought we are saved ONLY by faith and belief and acceptance.  Not by any works or following of the law.  Yes, we are commanded to get baptzied..but if we dont...we are still saved. Right?

How could one be saved by not following a command of Christ?

Mark 16:15-16 ASV
(15)  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation.
(16)  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.

Matthew 7:21-23 ASV
(21)  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
(22)  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?
(23)  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Satisfied MInd

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »

Greetings fellow bretheren:

This is an interesting question that has caused some serious debate over the years.
before I get too involved in the question, let me remind everyone that baptism is
an act that follows salvation, and in no way is a condition of salvation. Rom 10:13
tells us that "they that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"  No where
in there does the word tell us we must first be baptized to be saved.

It also does not say we must repent.  Would you deny that repentance is necessary for salvation?  It does not mention confessing, is that too unnecessary?  You cannot pick and choose what fits your idea or agenda.

The fact is there are many verses that mention one thing, but not the other. Why do some people follow one verse yet ignore another?  I submit  that is "taking away" from the Word as warned against in the book of  Revelation.  We must use the NT as a whole, not pick and choose what we want to do. 

We must believe(Mark 16:16), Repent(Acts 2:38), Confess(Romans 10:9-10), Be baptized(Acts 2:38; Mark 16:16) and be Faithful until death(Rev. 2:10)

Many say that baptism is a "work" that it is something we "do" therefore is unnecessary.  Aren't believing and repenting something we "do"?  Isn't confessing Jesus' name before men something we "do"?   

As to the idea that salvation occurs before baptism, I can find nowhere in scripture that indicates that this is so.  Acts 2:38, clearly shows it is necessary "for"  or "unto" the remission of sins by the use of the greek preposition "eis". The construction of the compound verbs—“repent and be baptized”—connected with the prepositional phrase—“for the forgiveness of sins”—demonstrates that the sense of eis cannot possibly be “because of,” thus conveying the sense, “on account of the forgiveness of your sins.” And why is that?

Because it would equally affirm that one is required to repent “because of” the forgiveness of his sins. Who in the world subscribes to the notion that one repents of sin because his transgressions are forgiven already? That makes no sense at all.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the