Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356230 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: February 08, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Here we have an emblem of the human heart!

(C. Scriver, 1671)

"The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" Jeremiah 17:9

In a vessel filled with muddy water, the mud visibly subsided to the bottom, and left the water purer and purer, until at last it seemed perfectly clear. The slightest motion, however, stirred up the sediment and the water became as murky as before.

Here we have an emblem of the human heart. The heart is full of the mud of sinful lusts and carnal desires, and the consequence is that no pure water--that is, good and holy thoughts--can flow from it. It is, in truth, a miry pit and swamp of sin in which all sorts of ugly reptiles are bred and crawl.

Many however never imagine that his heart is half so wicked as it really is, because sometimes its lusts are at rest, and sink, as it were, to the bottom.

But this lasts only so long as he is not stirred up; I mean, so long as he is without opportunity or incitement to sin. Let that occur, and worldly lusts rise so thick, that his whole thoughts, words, and works, show no trace of anything but slime and impurity.

One is meek as long as he is not thwarted. Cross him, and he is like gun-powder, ignited by the smallest spark, and blazing up with a loud and destructive effect.

Another is temperate so long as he is not with his wicked companions.

Another is chaste while the eyes of men are upon him.

Alas, my God! How often have I imagined that the world and all its lusts were a thousand miles away, and yet afterwards discovered that, like a crafty foe, they had kept quiet only to attack and beguile me unawares.

O my God, purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow! Create in me a pure heart, O God!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: February 09, 2020, 10:49:39 AM »

They are so dear to Him, that He cannot take His eyes off them!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous.
 His ears are open unto their cry." Psalm 34:15

The Lord observes His redeemed people with approval and tender consideration. They are so dear to Him, that He cannot take His eyes off them! He watches each one of them as carefully and intently, as if there were only that one creature in the whole universe!

Thus the Lord's eyes and ears are both turned upon His saints. His whole mind is occupied with them. If they are slighted by all others--they are never neglected by Him. He hears their cry at once, even as a mother is sure to hear her sick babe. The cry may be broken, plaintive or feeble--yet the Father's quick ear catches each note of lament or appeal, and He is quick to answer His children's voice!

"The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right,
 and His ears are attentive to their prayers." 1 Peter 3:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: February 11, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »

You are absolutely beautiful, My beloved!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"You are absolutely beautiful, My beloved! There is no spot in you!" Song of Solomon 4:7

The Lord's admiration of His Church is very astonishing, and His description of her beauty is very glowing. She is not merely beautiful--but "absolutely beautiful." He views her in Himself, washed in His sin-atoning blood, and clothed in His meritorious righteousness--thus He considers her to be full of loveliness and beauty. No wonder that such is the case--since it is but His own perfect excellency that He admires; for the holiness, glory, and perfection of His Church--are His own glorious garments on the back of His own well-beloved spouse!

Nor is the Church barely lovely, she is superlatively so. Her Lord styles her the "most beautiful of women." Song of Solomon 1:8

She has a real worth and excellence which cannot be rivaled by all the nobility and royalty of the world. If Jesus could exchange His elect bride for all the angels in Heaven--He would not, for He puts her first and foremost, "most beautiful of women." She far outshines the stars!

Nor is this an opinion which He is ashamed of, for He invites all men to hear it. He sets a "behold" before it, a special note of exclamation, inviting and arresting attention. "Behold! How beautiful you are, My beloved, how beautiful!" (Song of Solomon 4:1). His opinion He publishes abroad even now, and one day from the throne of His glory He will avow the truth of it before the assembled universe. "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with Me!" will be His solemn affirmation of the loveliness of His elect!

"Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her  to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the Word, and to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless!" Ephesians 5:25-27

"The king is enthralled by your beauty!" Psalm 45:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: February 11, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

There is no spot in you!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"You are absolutely beautiful, My beloved! There is no spot in you!" Song of Solomon 4:7

Having pronounced His Church positively full of beauty--our Lord confirms His praise by a precious negative, "There is no spot in you!" As if the thought occurred to the Bridegroom that the carping world would insinuate that He had only mentioned her lovely parts, and had purposely omitted those features which were deformed or defiled--He sums up all by declaring her universally and entirely lovely, and utterly devoid of stain.

A spot may soon be removed, and is the very least thing that can disfigure beauty--but even from this little blemish, the believer is delivered in his Lord's sight. If He had said there is no hideous scar, no horrible deformity, no repulsive ulcer--we might even then have marveled. But when He testifies that she is free from the slightest spot--all these other forms of defilement are included, and the height of wonder is increased.

If He had but promised to remove all spots in Heaven, we would have had eternal reason for joy. But when He speaks of it as already done--who can restrain the most intense emotions of satisfaction and delight! O my soul, here is marrow and fatness for you; eat your full, and be satisfied with royal dainties!

Jesus has no quarrel with His spouse. She often wanders from Him and grieves Him--but He does not allow her faults to affect His love. He sometimes chides, but it is always in the tenderest manner, with the kindest intentions--it is "My love" even then. There is no remembrance of our follies. He does not cherish ill thoughts of us--but He pardons and loves as well after the offence, as before it! It is well for us that it is so, for if Jesus were as mindful of injuries as we are--how could He commune with us? Our precious Husband knows our silly hearts too well, to take any offence at our follies and faults.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »

I have been informed of the loss of your dear wife

(John Berridge)

Dear brother,
I have been informed of the loss of your dear wife.
She has now put off mortality, and has become immortal.
Can this grieve you? Oh, that I was where she now is:
   "Safe landed on that peaceful shore,
    Where pilgrims meet to part no more!"

She was once a mourning sinner in this poor wilderness, but she is now a glorified saint in Zion.
The Lord has become her everlasting light, and the days of her mourning are ended.

Does this trouble you? She was once afflicted with bodily pains and weakness, encompassed with cares, and harassed with a crowd of anxious, needless fears. She has now arrived at her Father's house, and He has wiped away all tears from her eyes, and freed her in a moment from all pains, cares, fears, and needs. And shall this distress you?

You have not lost your wife, she has only left you for a short time.
She has left her earthly husband, to go home to her heavenly Father.
She expects your arrival there soon, to join the Hallelujahs for redeeming love.

Are you still weeping? Shame upon you, brother!
Are you weeping because your wife can weep no more?
Are you weeping because she is eternally happy?
Are you weeping because she is joined to that assembly where all are kings and priests?
Are you weeping because she is daily feasted with heavenly manna in her Father's kingdom?
Are you weeping because she is now where you desire to be eternally?
Are you weeping because she is singing sweet anthems to her God and your God?
O shameful weeping!

Jesus has fetched your bride triumphantly home to His kingdom, to draw your soul more ardently thither.
He has broken up your cistern--to bring you nearer, and keep you closer to the ever-flowing fountain!
Jesus has caused a moment's separation, to divorce your affections from the creature.
He has torn a wedding-string from your heart, to set it a-bleeding more freely and panting more vehemently for Himself. Hereafter you will see how gracious the Lord has been, in calling your beloved wife home, in order to betroth you more effectually to Himself.

Remember that sorrow is a safe companion for a pilgrim who walks much astray, until his heart is well broken.

May all your tears flow in a heavenly channel, and every sigh waft your soul nearer to Jesus!

May the God of all consolation comfort you through life, and in death afford you a triumphant entrance into His glorious kingdom!

So prays your friend and brother in the gospel of Christ,
John Berridge

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: February 13, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »

Isaiah 53:5

(J.C. Ryle)

"He was pierced for our transgressions,
 He was crushed for our iniquities;
 the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
 and by His wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

Was Jesus scourged?
It was that "through His stripes we might be healed."

Was Jesus condemned, though innocent?
It was that we might be acquitted, though guilty.

Did Jesus wear a crown of thorns?
It was that we might wear the crown of glory.

Was Jesus stripped of His clothing?
It was that we might be clothed in His everlasting righteousness.

Was Jesus mocked and reviled?
It was that we might be honored and blessed.

Was Jesus reckoned a malefactor, and numbered among transgressors?
It was that we might be reckoned innocent, and justified from all sin.

Was Jesus declared unable to save Himself?
It was that He might be able to save others to the uttermost.

Did Jesus die at last, and that the most painful and disgraceful of deaths?
It was that we might live for evermore, and be exalted to the highest glory!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: February 14, 2020, 12:05:36 PM »

He fell today, and I may fall tomorrow!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Burning indignation grips me, because of the wicked who have forsaken Your law." Psalm 119:53

My soul, do you feel this holy shuddering at the sins of others? If not, you lack inward holiness.
David's cheeks were wet with rivers of waters, because of prevailing unholiness.
Jeremiah desired eyes like fountains, that he might lament the iniquities of Israel.
Lot, a righteous man, was distressed by all the immorality and wickedness around him.
Those upon whom the mark was set in Ezekiel's vision, were those who sighed and cried for the abominations of Jerusalem.

It cannot but grieve gracious souls, to see what pains men take to go to Hell! Christians know the evil of sin experimentally, and they are alarmed to see others flying like moths into its blaze!

Sin makes the righteous shudder, because it violates God's holy law, which it is to every man's highest interest to keep.

Sin pulls down the pillars of the society!

Sin in others horrifies a believer, for it puts him in mind of the vileness of his own heart.
When he sees a heinous sinner, he cries, "He fell today, and I may fall tomorrow!"

Sin is horrible to a believer, because it crucified his Savior!
He sees in every iniquity--the nails and spear.
How can a believer behold that cursed kill-Christ sin without abhorrence?

Say, my heart--do you sensibly join in all this? It is an awful thing to insult God to His face.

The good God deserves better treatment,
the great God claims it, and
the just God will have it--or repay His adversary to his face!

An awakened heart trembles at the audacity of sin, and stands alarmed at the contemplation of its punishment. How monstrous a thing is rebellion! How direful a doom is prepared for the ungodly!

My soul, never laugh at sin's fooleries--lest you come to smile at sin itself! Sin is your enemy, and your Lord's enemy--view it with detestation, for only so can you evidence the possession of holiness, without which no man can see the Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: February 15, 2020, 02:36:04 PM »

The Rest!

(James Smith, "The Rest!" 1865)

"There remains therefore a rest for the people of God." Hebrews 4:9

We shall consider these words as referring to HEAVENLY rest:
  our Father's house,
  our Savior's home, and
  our eternal dwelling-place!

To the weary and way-worn, there is something delightful in the thought of REST.
They love to think of Heaven as the place where they shall "rest from their labors."

REST gives us the idea of . . .
  repose--the calm, quiet repose of the soul;
  refreshment--the refreshment of the exhausted spirit after conflict, sickness, or toil;
  restoration to vigor--after debility, languor, and fainting.

Heaven will be a rest . . .
  from sin--which will no more grieve us;
  from sorrow--which will no more trouble and distress us;
  from fears--which will no more harass and perplex us; and
  from conflicts--which will no more agitate and suppress us.

It will be a rest . . .
  with God in His glory,
  with Jesus in His immediate presence,
  with saints and holy angels in full perfection and blessedness.

This rest is FUTURE--it remains for the people of God.

This rest is the object of our hopes and DESIRES.
We look forward to it, with holy longing and cheering anticipations.

This rest is PERFECT--free from all mixture of anything that will agitate, give pain, or cause grief.

This rest is UNINTERRUPTED--nothing will ever occur to disturb, distress, or agitate us any more.

This rest is GLORIOUS--
  as bright as the meridian sun,
  as balmy as the most pleasant morning,
  as glowing with holiness, splendor, and majesty.

Best of all, this rest is ETERNAL! The possibility of a change, of a return to former scenes--would spoil all. But this rest will be enduring--as changeless as the Divine nature, and as glorious as the Divine perfections.

Blessed be God for such a rest for the weary, suffering, and downcast believer in Jesus!
Oh, to keep the eye fixed upon it, and the heart expecting it--amidst all the troubles and trials of time!

This rest is FOR the redeemed people of God.
They are now a poor, tried, tempted, and restless people.
They are strangers and pilgrims upon the earth, as all their fathers were.

Satan tempts them,
the ungodly try them,
fears harass them,
Providence perplexes them.
They often cry out, "O that I had wings like a dove--then would I fly away and be at rest!"

Believer, let the prospect of this eternal glorious rest, cheer you in toil and trouble! Your work will soon be finished, your trouble will soon come to an end--and then rest--the glorious rest, remains for you!

Let your Heavenly rest quicken your pace homewards!
You are going to a rest--a perfect, uninterrupted, and eternal rest . . .
  a rest in Heaven,
  a rest with Jesus,
  a rest in the presence of your God forever!

Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, and press on towards the mark, cheered by the prospect of the end of the race.

Remember, Christian, this rest is SECURE, for Jesus has taken possession of it for you.
"I am going," said He, "to prepare a place for you." Yes, Jesus has gone there for you, He has taken possession in your name, He is preparing your place, and will soon come and receive you to Himself!

Remember too, that it is NEAR--very near. Perhaps much nearer than you may think!

You may be sighing, sorrowing, striving, wrestling, doubting, fearing, and cast down today; and tomorrow you may be in your Heavenly rest!

Today, you may be lying like Lazarus, at the rich man's gate, full of sores.
Tomorrow, you may be basking in the beams of Immanuel's glory!

Today, you may be on the bed of sickness, suffering, and pain.
Tomorrow, you may be in the presence of Jesus, where there is no more pain, nor sorrow nor crying!

Who can tell how near we all are to our Heavenly and everlasting rest?

Remember also, that your very trials, toils, and sufferings here on earth, may SWEETEN your rest to you! Soon, very soon--you may be rejoicing over your present sorrows, and praising God for what now fills you with grief and sadness. Things will look very different there, from what they do here. Never, never forget . . .
  in your darkest nights,
  in your most trying days,
  in the midst of every storm and tempest,
  when passing over burning sands and under a scorching sky,
that there remains a rest for the people of God, and a rest for you!

"Arise and depart; for this is not your resting place, because it is defiled, it is ruined, beyond all remedy!"

"There the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary are at rest!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: February 16, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »

What a compassionate, gracious arrangement!

(Susannah Spurgeon, "Words of Cheer and Comfort for Sick and Sorrowful Souls!" 1898)

"My times are in Your hand!" Psalm 31:15

Why then, need I worry or tremble? That great, loving, powerful hand keeps all the events of my life sealed and secure within its almighty clasp! Only He, my Maker and my Master, can permit them to be revealed to me as His will for me. What a compassionate, gracious arrangement! How eminently fitted to fulfill that sweet promise of His Word, "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You!" If we fully believed this, we would be absolutely devoid of the worry which corrodes and chafes the daily life of so many professing Christians.

"My times." Not one or two important epochs of my history only--but everything that concerns me:
  joys that I had not expected,
  sorrows that must have crushed me, if they could have been anticipated,
  sufferings which might have terrified me by their grimness, had I looked upon them,
  surprises which infinite love had prepared for me,
  services of which I could not have imagined myself capable--
all these lay in that mighty hand, as the purposes of God's eternal will for me.

But, as they have developed gradually and silently--how great has been the love which appeared enwrapping and enfolding each one!
Has not the grief been measured--while the gladness has far more abounded?
Have not the comforts and consolations--exceeded the crosses and afflictions?
Have not all things been so arranged, and ordered, and undertaken, and worked out on our behalf--that we can but marvel at the goodness and wisdom of God, in meting out from that dear hand of His, all the "times" that have passed over us?

You agree with me in all this, do you not, dear reader? Then I beg you to apply it to your present circumstances, however dark or difficult they may be. They have come directly from your Father's hand to you, and they are His dear will for you!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: February 19, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »

A whore's forehead!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Privy Key of Heaven" 1665)

"You have a whore's forehead, you refuse to be ashamed!" Jeremiah 3:3

"Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all!
 They do not even know how to blush!" Jeremiah 6:15

They had sinned away shame--instead of being ashamed of sin. Continuance in sin had quite banished all sense of sin and all shame for sin; so that they would not allow nature to draw her veil of blushing before their great abominations. How applicable these scriptures are to the present time, I will leave the prudent reader to judge.

But what does the prophet do, now that they were as bold in sin, and as shameless as so many harlots; now that they were grown up to that height of sin and wickedness; now that they were above all shame and blushing; now that they were grown so proud, so hardened, so obstinate, so rebellious, so bent on self-destruction--that no mercies could melt them or allure them, nor any threatenings or judgments could in any way terrify them or stop them? The prophet goes into a corner, he retires into the most secret places, and there he weeps bitterly; there he weeps as if he were resolved to drown himself in his own tears. "I will weep in secret because of your pride; my eyes will weep bitterly, overflowing with tears." Jeremiah 13:17

In the times wherein we live, Hell seems to be broken loose, and men turned into incarnate devils! Soul-damning wickednesses walk up and down the streets with a whore's forehead, without the least check or restraint.

Ah, England, England! What pride, luxury, lasciviousness, licentiousness, wantonness, drunkenness, cruelties, injustice, oppressions, fornications, adulteries, falsehoods, hypocrisies, atheisms, horrid blasphemies, and hellish impieties--are now to be found rampant in the midst of you! Ah, England! England! How are the Scriptures rejected, God derided, and wickedness tolerated!

And what is the voice of all these crying abominations--but every Christian to his closet--every Christian to his closet--and there weep, with weeping Jeremiah, bitterly--for all these great abominations whereby God is dishonored openly. Oh weep in secret for their sins--who openly glory in their sins, which should be their greatest shame. Oh blush in secret for those who are past all blushing for their sins; for who knows, but that the whole land may fare the better for the sakes of a few, who are mourners in secret!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »

Do we want to be rulers of the universe?

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"He who will be his own carver, seldom carves out a good portion to himself. Willful spirits who attempt to control their own providence, entrench upon God's prerogative, and take the work out of His hands. Therefore, it is no wonder if He turns their wisdom into folly!"

It is God's business to regulate providence--and when we attempt it, we cause only confusion and trouble. Not only does the carver for himself get a poor portion--but he frequently cuts his fingers, and spoils his clothes, by spilling the contents of the dish.

Israel went into Canaan well enough--when the Lord led the way. But when the people presumed to go up on their own--they brought defeat upon themselves.

Just so, it is never well either to run before the cloud, or to stay behind it. In either case we may expect to fall under clouds of another sort, which will darken our way and becloud our peace.

Can we not trust the Lord with His own business?

Can we supplement His infallible wisdom--or improve upon His infinite goodness?

Have we not enough to do, if we earnestly endeavor to obey our Lord?
Are we tired of being His disciples and followers?
Do we want to be rulers of the universe?
Why do we strain after things too high for us, intruding into spheres which belong to God alone?

My soul, be still--God is at the helm, and He is well able to pilot the vessel. Keep your hand off the helm! Down with you, unbelief--what have you to do while God Himself provides for His people?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: February 19, 2020, 03:54:05 PM »

Patient waiting

(James Smith, "The Believer's Companion in Seasons of Affliction and Trouble" 1842)

"But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Romans 8:25

Patience supposes trials, difficulties, and burdens--it is a grace of which we have much need on earth.

The objects of our hope are . . .
  all future,
  all good, and
  all promised.

There is not an evil, but we hope to be one day rid of!
There is not a blessing, but we hope one day to enjoy it!

This present world is a land of hope.
Heaven is a land of fruition.

The highest object of our hope is perfect holiness, exact conformity to the Lord Jesus Christ--to be brought to such a state, that we shall glorify our God in every desire, thought, feeling, and action.

We hope for the period when we shall say:
farewell sickness--welcome perpetual health;
farewell sorrow--welcome everlasting joy;
farewell sin--welcome perfect purity;
farewell ignorance--welcome perfect knowledge;
farewell desertion--welcome the eternal presence of my God;
farewell death--welcome everlasting life!

Do we hope for these things? Then let us patiently wait for them.

The blessings we expect are worth waiting for--they are laid up for us in Heaven!
Faith believes the message respecting them,
hope longs to be put in possession,
love incites to grateful acknowledgments and holy walking,
ardent desire wants immediate enjoyment--
but patience is willing to wait. Her language is, "All the days of my appointed time I will wait, until my change comes."

Seasons of trouble seem long; but what are the longest seasons compared with eternity--an eternity of perfect blessedness?

Patient waiting insures an enlarged experience of Jehovah's love and goodness. Your present journey will lead you to a place of repose, "where the wicked cease from troubling, and the weary are at rest." Your troubles will end well--everlastingly well!

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the