Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 354852 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4725 on: January 04, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Spurgeon's choice excerpts on Hell

(Charles Spurgeon)

There never was anyone else so kind in heart as Jesus was--yet He clearly taught the dreadful truth that unrepentant sinners shall be punished in Hell forever!

Remember, you can be laughed into Hell--but you can never be laughed out of it!

In countries where leprosy prevails, they shut up the lepers in a place by themselves, lest the terrible disease should infect the whole district. Hell is God's leper colony where sinners must be confined forever when they are incurable and past hope!

There is no sleep in Hell. Oh, what a blessing it would be, if sleep could enter the habitation of the damned!

Men hate Hell, for the same reason that murderers hate the gallows!

To be almost saved--is to be altogether lost!
There are many in Hell who once were almost saved--but who are now altogether damned!

Better to go to Heaven alone, than to Hell with a herd!

If your religion does not make you holy--it will damn you!
It is simply painted pageantry to go to Hell in!

Morality may keep you out of jail--but it takes the blood of Jesus Christ to keep you out of Hell.

There is a clean path to Hell as well as a dirty one.
You will be lost if you trust your good works--as surely if you trusted your sins!

Beware of those who say that there is no Hell--and that there are new ways to Heaven!

You are hanging over the mouth of Hell by a single thread--and that thread is breaking! Only a stopping of the heart for a single moment, and you will be in the eternal world--without God, without hope, without forgiveness!

Beloved, the eternal torment of men is no joy to God.

Scripture does not speak of the fire of Hell as chastening or remedial, or purifying--but as punishment which men shall receive for deeds done in the body. They are to be visited with many stripes, and receive just recompense for transgressions. What can there be about Hell fire to change a man's heart? Surely the more the lost will suffer, the more will they hate God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: January 04, 2020, 12:45:30 PM »

Spurgeon's choice excerpts on Hell, part 2

(Charles Spurgeon)

The hell of Hell, is that it is to be forever.
The lost soul sees written over its head, "You are damned forever!"
It hears howlings that are to be perpetual.
It sees flames which are unquenchable.
It knows pains that are unmitigated.

Living in sin, is the root of living forever in Hell!

If you have lived like the wicked, then you will die like the wicked, and be damned like the wicked.

No books of persuasion are needed to urge the unsaved to rush onward to eternal ruin. They hurry to be lost--they are eager to be damned. There they go, streams of them, hurrying impatiently, rushing down to Hell and damnation--yes, eagerly panting and dashing against one another to descend to that awful gulf from which there is no return!

Hell is sin fully developed!

It is better to go weeping to Heaven--than to go laughing to Hell.

It ill befits a man who is on the brink of Hell--to be laughing and jesting.

As long as a man is alive and out of Hell--he cannot have any cause to complain.

Sin and Hell are forever married--unless repentance proclaims the divorce.

Can it be worthwhile to sin yourselves into Hell? Can there be any supposed pleasure which can ever compensate you for everlasting pain? If so, then choose the pleasures of sin for a season--but rest assured that for all these things, God will bring you into judgment!

Would it not be better to go to Heaven side by side with a poor old almshouse-woman, or a chimney-sweep, or a pauper from the workhouse--than to go to Hell with a king or a rich man?

The best of your good works are but a painted pageantry for your soul to go to Hell in!
You may as surely go down to the bottomless pit by the religious road--as by the way of the wicked.

Sin is the mother of death and the progenitor of Hell!

Without Christ you are an unpardoned sinner, a condemned sinner--and, before long you will be a sinner judged, sentenced and cast into Hell!

As long as Heaven shall shine--so long Hell shall burn! As long as saints are happy--so long shall those whose impenitence has made them castaways be wretched!

There are a thousand paths that lead to Hell--but only one that leads to Heaven!

A creature remaining at enmity against God must expect to dwell forever with the devils in Hell.
Where can it dwell, but where other rebels are confined in eternal chains?

I feel that if God would smite me now to the lowest Hell--I would only have what I justly deserve.

Oh, it is a crying sin that men will not only go to Hell alone--but they must drag their children with them!

Men are either going to Heaven or to Hell--and it is time that we came to close grips with them about this all-important matter!

There are two flaming jewels of Jehovah's crown which shall be solemnly seen in Hell--His wrath and His power.
"What if God, choosing to show His wrath and make His power known, bore with great patience the objects of His wrath, prepared for destruction?" Romans 9:22

I am not like yon flatterers who tell you that there is a little Hell and a little God, from which you naturally infer that you may live as you like. You will perish everlastingly if you believe them. There is a dreadful Hell--for there is an absolutely holy, just, and righteous God.

A man may as well descend to Hell being orthodox, as being heterodox. Alas, I suppose that no one is more orthodox than the devil--yet no one is more surely lost than he is!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 05, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »

a

Here is a constellation of wonders!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"The forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace." Ephesians 1:7

Could there be a sweeter word in any language than that word "forgiveness," when it sounds in a guilty sinner's ear!

Can it be possible that sin--such heinous sin as mine--can be forgiven, forgiven altogether, and forever? Hell is my portion as a sinner--there is no possibility of my escaping from it while sin remains upon me.

Can the unfathomable load of my guilt be removed? Can the crimson stain of my sins be blotted out?
Can the adamantine stones of my prison-house ever be loosed, or the doors be lifted from their hinges?

Jesus tells me that I may yet be forgiven. Forever blessed be the revelation of redeeming love, which not only tells me that pardon is possible--but that it is secured to all who rest in Jesus. I have believed in the appointed sin-atoning sacrifice, even Jesus crucified, and therefore my sins are at this moment, and forever--forgiven by virtue of His substitutionary sufferings and death! What joy is this! What bliss to be a perfectly pardoned soul! My soul dedicates all her powers to Him who of His own unpurchasable love became my surety, and wrought out for me redemption through His blood.

What riches of grace does free forgiveness exhibit!
To forgive at all,
to forgive fully,
to forgive freely,
to forgive forever!
Here is a constellation of wonders!

When I think of . . .
  how great my sins were,
  how dear were the precious drops which cleansed me from them, and
  how gracious was the method by which pardon was sealed home to me,
I am in a maze of wondering worshiping affection!
I bow before the throne which absolves me!
I clasp the cross which delivers me!
I serve henceforth all my days--the Incarnate God, through whom I am this day a pardoned soul!

"Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him!" Romans 4:7-8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 09, 2020, 05:48:22 PM »

The Christian's never-failing resort in every case, in every plight

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

Prayer is the Christian's never-failing resort in every case, in every plight. When you cannot use your sword--you may take to the weapon of all-prayer. Your gun-powder may be damp, your bow-string may be broken--but the weapon of all-prayer need never be out of order. Leviathan laughs at the javelin--but he trembles at prayer. Sword and spear need furbishing--but prayer never rusts; and when we think it most blunt--it cuts the best.

Prayer is an open door which none can shut! Devils may surround you on all sides--but the way upward is always open, and as long as that road is unobstructed, you will not fall into the enemy's hand. We can never be taken by force or storm--so long as heavenly help comes down to us to support us in the time of our necessities.

Prayer is never out of season--in summer and in winter its merchandise is precious. Prayer gains an audience with God--in the dead of night, in the midst of business, in the heat of noonday, in the shadows of evening. In every condition, whether of poverty, or sickness, or obscurity, or slander, or sin--your covenant God will welcome your prayer and answer it from His holy place.

Nor is prayer ever futile. True prayer is evermore true power. You may not always get what you ask--but you shall always have your real needs supplied. When God does not answer His children according to the letter--He does so according to the spirit. If you ask for coarse meal--will you be angered because He gives you the finest flour? If you seek bodily health, should you complain if instead thereof--He makes your sickness turn to the healing of spiritual maladies? Is it not better to have the affliction sanctified, than removed? My soul, do not forget to offer your petition and request, for the Lord is ready to grant you your desires!

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need!" Hebrews 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 09, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »

He looks above and beyond the troublesome scenes of earth's fleeting pilgrimage

(David Harsha, "Wanderings of a Pilgrim")

No man begins the journey to the heavenly home, until by the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit his soul is attracted to Christ--the Living Way, the Truth and the Life.

At that happy hour when the heart is opened and the understanding is enlightened to discern spiritual things, the Savior's love is the first to beam in the mild, sweet, constraining influence upon the soul of the renewed man.

He wonders that he was not able before to discern the beauty, the excellence and the glory of Immanuel. Now Jesus appears to him as the chief among ten thousand, and altogether lovely. Now he is ready to exclaim, "My Beloved is mine, and I am His! Whom have I in Heaven but You? There is none upon earth that I desire besides You!"

Thus enlightened by divine grace, the pilgrim turns from the City of Destruction to the Heavenly Mansions.

He leaves the crowded road which leads to eternal darkness and woe, and enters on the narrow pathway that conducts the weary traveler to realms of light and bliss.

His views are now elevated above the decaying objects around him. His affections are placed upon things above. He contemplates with rapturous delight the bleeding glories of Immanuel, and the shining abode of Zion's pilgrims in the celestial kingdom.

He has become a spiritually-minded man.

He lives and walks by faith in the Son of God.

Though in the world, he is no longer of it; but belongs to the kingdom of Jesus Christ.

As an heir of glory, as a traveler to the skies, as an expectant of eternal bliss--he looks above and beyond the troublesome scenes of earth's fleeting pilgrimage.

He enjoys the charming and sublime prospect beyond the precincts of time! He beholds in that brighter world, an ocean of glory without a shore and without a storm!

As the Christian pursues his journey, with his eye fixed on the solemn realities of eternity--earth and sublunary grandeur appear to him as transitory as the morning cloud and early morning dew, compared with those immeasurable ages of bliss, which roll before his enraptured vision.

He who has been constrained by the Savior's love, to begin the blessed journey from the wilderness of this world to the Celestial City--will delight to meditate on the riches and glory of his Father's house, in the pure, unclouded realms of eternal day!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 13, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »

The atrocities of Joshua

(Joel Headley, "Sacred Heroes")

"They utterly destroyed everything in the city with the sword--every man and woman, both young and old, and every ox, sheep, and donkey." Joshua 6:21

It is needless to go into a defense of what some call the atrocities of Joshua, in slaying women and children as well as warriors; in short, making a clean sweep of the inhabitants.

The Lord ordered it, and that is enough.

We may be sure that, whether He obliterates a nation by war, or blots out the entire race with a flood--He has good reasons for it, although He may not choose to give them.

The extinction of one race by another, and the occupation of its land, is one of the common things in the history of the world. And whether it is done by the swift process of the sword, or by gradual demise, or the introduction of disease and vice--the principle and the fact remain the same.

The Lord ordered it, and that is enough.

"See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god beside Me. I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of My hand!" Deuteronomy 32:39

"I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things!" Isaiah 45:6-7

"Does disaster come to a city, unless the LORD has done it?" Amos 3:6

"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns!" Revelation 19:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: January 13, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »

Our proper enjoyment of every earthly blessing

(Hannah More,  "The Love of God")

There are three requirements to our proper enjoyment
of every earthly blessing which God bestows on us:

1. A thankful reflection on the goodness of the Giver.

2. A deep sense of the unworthiness of the receiver.

3. A sober recollection of the precarious tenure by which we hold it.

The first would make us grateful, the second humble, the last moderate.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights" James 1:17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »

Reader, how does it fare with your family?

(Charles Spurgeon, "Treasury of David")

"I will be careful to lead a blameless life . . . I will walk in my house with a blameless heart." Psalm 101:2

Piety must begin at home. Our first duties are those within our own abode.

We must have a blameless heart at home, or we cannot keep a blameless way abroad.

Notice that these words are a part of a song. There is no music like the harmony of a gracious life, no psalm so sweet as the daily practice of holiness.

Reader, how does it fare with your family?

Do you sing in the choir, and sin in the chamber?

Are you a saint abroad, and a devil at home?

For shame!

What we are at home, that we are indeed!

He cannot be a true saint whose habitation is a scene of strife, and whose household dreads his appearance at the fireside.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 13, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »

Pithy gems from Matthew Henry #2

(Matthew Henry)

Out of Christ, God is a consuming fire.
In Christ, God is a reconciled Father.

~ ~ ~ ~

Our temptations, if not yielded to, are not sins; they are afflictions only.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sin is the sickness, disease and torment of the soul!
Christ came to take away sin, and so to heal the soul.

~ ~ ~ ~

A man may go idle to Hell--but he who will go to Heaven, must be diligent.

~ ~ ~ ~

It is the duty of Christians to desire, and aim at and press towards perfection in grace and holiness.

~ ~ ~ ~

Pride is a subtle sin--it creeps into our pious duties before we are aware!

~ ~ ~ ~

If God does not give His people what they ask for--it is because He knows they do not need it, and that it is not for their good.

~ ~ ~ ~

Even the richest of men are indebted to the mercy of God for their daily bread.

~ ~ ~ ~

We cannot alter the disposals of Providence, therefore we must humbly submit and resign ourselves to them.

~ ~ ~ ~

No guilt is so great, but there is a remedy in Christ's blood which atones for it.
No corruption is so strong, but there is a remedy in His grace which can subdue it.

~ ~ ~ ~

Those who are passing with Christ over the ocean of this world, must expect storms.

~ ~ ~ ~

The great intention of the blessed Jesus in the redemption He wrought, is to separate our hearts from sin.

~ ~ ~ ~

In the gospel there is a salve for every sore and a remedy for every malady.
There is no spiritual disease, but there is power in Christ for the cure of it!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: January 16, 2020, 07:24:47 AM »

The fountain of holy living!

"Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walk in His ways." Psalm 128:1

"Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord."
The fear of God is the cornerstone of all blessedness.
We must reverence the ever-blessed God, before we can be blessed ourselves.

This is true of every one of the God-fearing, of all conditions, in all ages--each one and every one is blessed. Their blessedness may not always be seen by carnal reason, but it is always a fact, for God Himself declares that it is so. We know that those whom He blesses, are blessed indeed.

Let us cultivate that holy filial fear of Jehovah which is the essence of all true religion--the fear . . .
  of reverencing God,
  of dread to offend Him,
  of concern to please Him, and
  of entire submission and obedience to Him.

This fear of the Lord is the fountain of holy living. We look in vain for holiness apart from it.

None but those who fear the Lord, will ever walk in His holy ways.

"Who walk in His ways."
The pious life which God declares to be blessed, must be practical. It is idle to talk of fearing the Lord, if we act like those who have no care whether there is a God or not. God's ways will be our ways, if we have a sincere reverence for Him. If the heart is truly joined unto God, the feet will follow hard after Him.

A man's heart will be seen in his walk, and the blessing will come where heart and walk are both with God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: January 17, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »

We were dead men rotting in a dunghill of sin!

"The Lord raises the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy from the dunghill!" Psalm 113:7

What a gracious stoop of love! He frequently lifts the lowest of mankind out of their poverty and degradation, and adopts them into His family.

His gracious Spirit is continually visiting the down-trodden, giving beauty for ashes to those who are cast down, and elevating the hearts of His mourners until they shout for joy.

These upliftings of grace are here ascribed directly to the divine hand, and truly those who have experienced them will not doubt the fact that it is the Lord alone who brings His people up from the dust of sorrow and death. When no hand but His can help, He interposes and the work is done.

"And lifts the needy from the dunghill" whereon they lay like worthless refuse, cast off and cast out--left as they thought, to rot into destruction, and to be everlastingly forgotten.

How great a stoop from the height of His throne, to a dunghill! How wonderful is that power which occupies itself in lifting up beggars, all befouled with the filthiness in which they lay! For He lifts them out of the dunghill, not disdaining to search them out from amidst the base things of the earth--that He may bring to nothing the great ones, and pour contempt upon all human glorying.

What a dunghill was that upon which we lay by nature!

What a mass of corruption is our original estate!

What a heap of loathsomeness we have accumulated by our sinful lives!

We could never have risen out of this corruption by our own efforts--we were dead men rotting in a dunghill of sin!

Almighty were the arms which lifted us, which are still lifting us, and will lift us into the perfection of Heaven itself!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »

What a debased creature must he be!

"O Lord, You preserve both man and animals!" Psalm 36:6

"He supplies the earth with rain and makes grass grow on the hills.
 He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call." Psalm 147:8-9

"These all look to You to give them their food at the proper time.
 When You give it to them, they gather it up;
 when You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good things!" Psalm 104:27-28

All the myriads of creatures, rational and irrational, are fed by Jehovah's hand!
The countless animals,
the innumerable birds,
the inconceivable abundance of fish,
the all but infinite armies of insects--
all owe their continuance of life to God's unceasing care and provisions.

What an awesome view of God this presents to us!

What a debased creature must he be, who sees no trace of such a God, and feels no awe of Him!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 23, 2020, 02:10:37 PM »

St. Cross Hospital

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Ask and it will be given to you;
 seek and you will find;
 knock and the door will be opened to you.
 For everyone who asks receives;
 he who seeks finds; and
 to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

We know of a place in England still existing, where a dole of bread is served to every passerby who chooses to ask for it. Whoever the traveler may be, he has but to knock at the door of St. Cross Hospital and there is the dole of bread for him.

In the same way, Jesus so loves sinners that He has built a St. Cross Hospital, so that whenever a sinner is hungry, he has but to knock and have his needs supplied.

Nay, He has done better; He has attached to this Hospital of the Cross--a BATH. Whenever a soul is black and filthy, it has but to go there and be washed. The fountain is always full, always effectual. No sinner ever went into it and found that it could not wash away his stains. Sins which were scarlet and crimson--have all disappeared, and the sinner has been made whiter than snow!

As if this were not enough, there is attached to this Hospital of the Cross--a WARDROBE, and a sinner making application simply as a sinner, may be clothed from head to foot! Nothing that is good for him shall be denied him. He shall have spending-money (grace) as long as he lives, and he shall have an eternal heritage of glorious treasure when he enters into the joy of his Lord.

If all these things are to be had by merely knocking at mercy's door, O my soul, knock hard, and ask great things from your generous Lord.

No bashfulness need retard us when Jesus invites.

No unbelief should hinder us when Jesus promises.

No cold-heartedness should restrain us when such blessings are to be obtained!

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need!" Hebrews 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: January 23, 2020, 02:11:56 PM »

Death-bed repentance

(Gorham Abbott, 1833)

"For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death!" 2 Corinthians 7:10

Repentance is the tear of love,
    dropping from the eye of faith,
    when it fixes on Christ crucified.

Repentance begins in the humiliation of the heart, and ends in the reformation of the heart and of the life.

Sincere repentance is never too late, but late repentance is seldom sincere. The thief on the cross repented, and was pardoned in the last hour of his life. We have one such instance in scripture--that none might despair; and only one--that none might presume.

Still, however, the probability that apparent repentance which comes at a dying hour will be genuine, is very small. The following fact will furnish an affecting illustration of this sentiment, and a solemn warning against the too common delusion of deferring the work of repentance to a dying bed:

The faithful and laborious clergyman of a very large and populous parish had been accustomed, for a long series of years, to preserve notes of his visits to the afflicted, with remarks on the outcome of their affliction--whether life or death, and of the subsequent conduct of those who recovered.

He stated, that, during forty years, he had visited more than two thousand people apparently drawing near to death, and who revealed such signs of penitence as would have led him to indulge a good hope of their eternal safety--if they had died at that moment.

When they were restored to life and health--he eagerly watched if they should bring forth fruits fit for repentance. But alas! of the some two thousand death-bed professions, only two people manifested an abiding and saving change! The rest, when the terrors of eternity ceased to be in immediate prospect, forgot their pious impressions and their solemn vows--and returned with new avidity to their former worldly-mindedness and sinful pursuits.

"What the true proverb says has happened to them: The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire!" 2 Peter 2:22

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 23, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »

Just as the miser returns often to look on his treasure

"I will meditate in Your precepts and consider Your ways." Psalm 119:15

He who has an inward delight in anything will not stop thinking about it for very long. Just as the miser returns often to look on his treasure, so the devout believer, by frequent meditation, turns over the priceless wealth that He has discovered in the Book of the Lord.

No spiritual exercise is more profitable to the soul than that of devout meditation!

"His delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:2

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it." Joshua 1:8

Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the