Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356334 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Therefore I will flee to my one Refuge!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

"I have seen his ways, and will heal him!" Isaiah 57:18

I am glad that He sees my ways, before He heals me. It is a great satisfaction to feel that there is One Who comprehends perfectly the worst of my nature and my conduct. I am concealed to a certain extent even from my nearest human friends. The disclosure would be too terrible--it would force the most forbearing and the most forgiving to flee from me in horror!

Yet to my heavenly Father, everything is as clear as the sunlight:
  my self-seeking,
  my pride,
  my envy,
  my loathsome sins!

He understands . . .
my sevenfold corruption,
my festering leprosy,
my filthiness, and
my idols!

He reads me through and through. No black veil curtains any corner of my being from His all-seeing eye. Yet He pardons me of all my evil--and clasps me to Himself!

He meets the evil King Manasseh, who has made the streets of Jerusalem run red with innocent blood--and He receives Him to His household and His heart.

He draws the sinful woman to the Savior's feet in penitential tears, and the Savior bids her go in peace.

He has room and welcome for me, although my transgressions, ten thousand times ten thousand, are before His all-seeing eye! There is no stain that tarnishes His justice when He so wonderfully forgives; for He has laid my iniquities and all their doom on the Son of His love! I go free with the consent of His holiness, as well as of His grace.

His omniscience is penetrating and all-inclusive, missing none of my shortcomings and none of my sins--yet His compassions are infinite!

Therefore I will flee to my one Refuge! Nowhere else am I safe from condemnation. Nowhere else am I at home.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: May 27, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »

The god of this generation!

(Arthur Pink, "The Attributes of God")

"Our God is in Heaven--He does whatever He pleases!" Psalm 115:3

Ah, my reader, the God of Scripture is no make-believe monarch, no mere imaginary sovereign; but King of kings, and Lord of lords! To countless thousands, even among those professing to be Christians, the God of the Scriptures is quite unknown.

The god of this generation no more resembles the Supreme Sovereign of Holy Writ, than does the dim flickering of a candle, the glory of the midday sun!

The god who is now . . .
  talked about in the average pulpit,
  spoken of in the ordinary Sunday School,
  mentioned in much of the religious literature of the day,
  and preached in most of the so-called Bible Conferences--
is the figment of human imagination, an invention of mushy sentimentality!

The heathen outside of the pale of Christendom form gods out of wood and stone--while the millions of heathen inside Christendom manufacture a god out of their own carnal mind! In reality, they are but atheists, for there is no other possible alternative between an absolutely supreme God--and no God at all. A god whose will is resisted, whose designs are frustrated, whose purpose is checkmated, possesses no title to Deity--and so far from being a fit object of worship, merits nothing but contempt!

"I know that You can do anything, and no plan of Yours can be thwarted." Job 42:2

"The Lord does whatever He pleases in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all the depths." Psalm 135:6

"Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns!" Revelation 19:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: May 29, 2015, 01:43:25 AM »

My heart leaps within me!

(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

Jesus is . . .
  an ocean of delights,
  a sea of pleasure,
  a fountain of bliss!

There is enough in Jesus, and in the happiness which we shall eternally enjoy:
  to comfort the most dejected saint,
  to soothe the sorrows of the most tried soul,
  to strengthen the weakest, and
  to stimulate the most feeble to press onward in the path of tribulation!

O for . . .
  more spirituality of soul,
  more conformity to His lovely likeness,
  more unreserved dedication to His holy service!

I often try thus to praise His dear name--but am hindered . . .
  by this heavy clog of clay,
  by my evil heart of unbelief, and
  by Satan presenting something to the mind to alarm, or draw me aside.

But shortly--understanding, mind, will, and affections--will all be sweetly engaged and employed in ascribing, "Blessing and honor, thanksgiving and power--to Him who sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb forever!"

My heart leaps within me at the thought of thus giving perfect and perpetual praise to my beloved Lord!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:19 AM »

Orthodox in creed--but heterodox in life!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

When we hear of men living in sin and yet claiming to be Christians, we are disgusted with their pretenses--but we are not deceived by their professions.

In the same manner, we care little for those who are orthodox Christians in creed--if it is clear that they are heterodox in life. He who believes the truth, should himself be true. How can we expect others to receive our religion--if it leaves us foul, false, malicious, and selfish?

We sicken at the sight of a dirty dish, and refuse even good food when it is placed thereon. So pure and holy is the doctrine of the cross, that . . .
   he who hears it aright will have his ear cleansed,
   he who believes it will have his mind and heart purged,
   he who preaches it should have his tongue purified.

Woe unto that man who brings reproach upon the gospel by an unholy walk and life!

Lord, evermore make us vessels fit for your own use, and then fill us with the pure juice of the grapes of sound doctrine and wholesome instruction. Do not allow us to be such foul cups as to be only fit for the wine of Sodom!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: May 30, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »

Secret kisses!

(Thomas Brooks, "The Privy Key of Heaven" 1665)

When a Christian is in a wilderness, which is a very solitary place--then God delights to speak affectionately to him. "Behold, I will allure her and bring her into the wilderness, and I will speak tenderly and to her heart." Hosea 2:14

"When I have her alone," says God, "in a solitary wilderness--I will speak such things to her heart, as shall exceedingly cheer her, and comfort her, and even make her heart leap and dance within her!" Certainly the soul usually enjoys most communion with God--in secret. "But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:6

A husband imparts his mind most freely and fully to his wife when she is alone; and so does Christ to the believing soul. Oh . . .
  the secret kisses,
  the secret embraces,
  the secret visits,
  the secret whispers,
  the secret cheerings,
  the secret discoveries,
which God gives to His people when in secret prayer.

"But as for me, it is good to be near God." Psalm 73:28

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: May 31, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »

The wonders of His providence!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Esther Defeats her Enemies")

"In his heart a man plans his course--but the LORD determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

"Many are the plans in a man's heart--but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

"A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?" Proverbs 20:24

Do not judge divine providence in little pieces--it is a grand mosaic, and must be seen as a whole.

The Lord's wisdom is seen in arranging the smallest events so as to produce great results. We frequently hear people say of a pleasant or a great event, "What a providence! This is the finger of God!"--while they are silent as to anything which appears less important, or has an unpleasant savor.

But the place of the flower upon the hillside--is as fixed as the station of a king! And the dust which is raised by a cart-wheel--is as surely steered by divine providence as the planet in its orbit!

There is as much providence in the creeping of an insect upon a rose leaf--as in the marching of an army to ravage a continent!

Everything, the most minute, as well as the most magnificent--is ordered by the Lord who has prepared His throne in the heavens, whose kingdom rules over all.

Whatever the event may be, the attentive eye will as clearly see the Lord's providential hand.

I am sure that God is in the world, yes, and is at my own fireside, and in my chamber--and manages my affairs, and orders all things for me, and for each one of His redeemed children. We need no miracles to convince us of His working, the wonders of His providence are as great marvels as miracles themselves.

"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose!" Romans 8:28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »

The nest was destroyed, and the poor bird lay bleeding and exposed!

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Evening Visit")

"I thought: Surely I shall die in my nest!" Job 29:18

Job's nest was very comfortable--and appeared to be very secure. It was on high--and not to be easily reached. He knew that death could reach it--but he thought that nothing else would disturb it.
His conduct was consistent,
his conscience was quiet;
God was his Father, and
providence was his friend.

"I thought: Surely I shall die in my nest!"

But, alas! Suddenly a 'storm' arose--the nest was destroyed, and the poor bird lay bleeding and exposed!

No earthly nest is out of danger! Temporal comforts are only lent to us. The higher the tree in which we build--the more exposed to the whirlwind and the storm!

Here on earth--we have no continuing city. In one moment--our fine nest may be devastated! Let us therefore endeavor to leave our matters fully with the Lord--and learn to be content with His appointments.

We must die. But when, and where, and how--should be left with the Lord.

Five minutes after death--it will matter very little whether we died on a bed of down, in a luxurious mansion, and surrounded by kind friends--OR as a poor diseased beggar, dying alone in squalor!

Present comforts may all leave us, and our soft nest may be scattered to the winds--but nothing can disturb our salvation and future glory!

"These all died in faith--and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth!" Hebrews 11:13

"They were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a heavenly city for them!" Hebrews 11:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: June 05, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »

Who sinned?

As He went along, He saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." John 9:1-3

"Extraordinary afflictions are not always the punishment of extraordinary sins--but sometimes the trial of extraordinary graces. Christ, who perfectly knew the secret springs of the divine counsels, told them two things concerning such calamities: that they are not always inflicted as punishments of sin--and that they are sometimes intended purely for the glory of God, and the manifesting of His works." Matthew Henry

"Afflictions are often the black foils in which God sets the jewels of His children's graces, to make them shine the better. There are some of your graces which would never be discovered, if it were not for your trials. Well, Christian, may not this account for the troubles through which you are passing? Is not the Lord bringing out your graces, and making them grow? Real growth in grace is the result of sanctified trials. The heart of a Christian is Christ's garden, and his graces are as so many sweet spices and flowers, when His Spirit blows upon them, to send forth a sweet savor." Charles Spurgeon

"Stars shine brightest in the darkest night. Afflictions ripen the saints' graces. Gold looks the brighter for scouring. Just so, afflictions are but our Father's goldsmiths who are working to add pearls to our crowns. Spices smell sweetest when pounded--and juniper smells sweeter in the fire." Thomas Brooks

"Some graces grow best in winter. Grace withers without adversity." Samuel Rutherford

"The lowly graces of the Spirit thrive best under crosses." Daniel Rowland

"The Lord's jewels need grinding, and cutting, and polishing." R.C. Chapman

"Grievous afflictions are not always sent as a scourge for sins committed--but sometimes as preventatives from sins. Paul's thorn prevented his pride." John Leland

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: June 05, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »

The man with the muck-rake!

(J. R. Miller, "Life's Byways and Waysides")

"Only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better." Luke 10:42

Paul prayed that his friends "may be able to discern what is best." Philippians 1:10

We must be always making choices in this world. We cannot take up everything that lies in our path--and we ought to choose the best things. Even among 'right things' there is room for choice, for some right things are better than others.

There are many Christians, however, who do not habitually choose the best things--but second-rate things. They labor for the food that perishes--when they might labor for the food that endures unto everlasting life. Even in their prayers, they ask for temporal blessings--when they might ask for spiritual treasures!

They are like "the man with the muck-rake" in Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress'--who only looks 'down' and drags his rake among the weeds and worthless rubbish--while over his head are crowns which he might take into his hands! They are like Esau, who sold his valuable birthright for some lentil stew. They toil for this world's vain things--when they might have been laying up treasures in Heaven!

We only have one life to live--and we ought therefore to do the best we possibly can with it. We pass through this world only once--and we ought to gather up and take with us the things that will truly enrich us--things we can keep forever!

It is not worth our while, to toil and moil, and strive and struggle--to do things that will leave no lasting results when our life is done--while there are things we can do which have eternal significance!

"Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things!" Colossians 3:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: June 05, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »

That spiritual pipe!

(Thomas Watson, "Christ All in All")

"Christ is all in all." Colossians 3:11

All good things are transmitted and conveyed to us, through Christ. As our rich commodities, such as jewels and spices, come to us by the sea--so all heavenly blessings sail to us through the Red Sea of Christ's blood! "God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in Christ!" Ephesians 1:3

Christ is that spiritual pipe through which the golden oil of mercy empties itself into the soul!

Christ is all in all. He is a treasury and storehouse of all spiritual riches! You may go with the bee, from flower to flower--and suck a little sweetness here and there--but you will never have enough until you come to Christ--for He is all in all. There is enough in Christ . . .
  to scatter all our fears,
  to remove all our burdens,
  to supply all our needs.

"The unsearchable riches of Christ!" Ephesians 3:8

There can be no defect, in that which is infinite.

Christ is the most supreme good. Put what you will in the balance with Christ--He infinitely outweighs it.

Christ is the most sufficient good. He who has Christ needs no more. He who has the ocean--needs not the cistern.

Christ is the most suitable good. "In Him dwells all fullness," Colossians 1:19. Christ is whatever the soul can desire. Christ is . . .
  beauty to adorn,
  gold to enrich,
  balm to heal,
  bread to strengthen,
  wine to comfort,
  salvation to crown!

Christ sweetens all our comforts. He who has Christ may say, "This mercy is given to me by the hand of my Savior! This is a love-token from Him--a pledge of glory!"

Christ sanctifies all our crosses. They shall be medicinal to the soul; they shall work sin out--and work grace in. Christ sees to it that His people lose nothing in the furnace of affliction--but their drossy impurities.

Christ is the most rare blessing. Christ is a jewel that few are enriched with. This should both raise our esteem of Him--and quicken our pursuit after Him. Many hear of Christ--but few have Him. Many have Christ sounded in their ears--but few who have Christ formed in their hearts.

Christ is the most choice good. God shows more love in giving us Christ--than in giving us crowns and kingdoms! God may give a man many worldly things--and hate him. God may give silver and gold to others--but if He gives you Christ, He gives you all that ever He had!

Without Christ, nothing else is good.
Without Christ, health is not good; it is fuel for lust.
Without Christ, riches are not good; they are golden snares.
Without Christ, ordinances are not good; they are as breasts without milk. Without Christ, they will damn us. Millions go  to Hell, loaded with ordinances.

Make Christ all, in your affections. Desire nothing but Christ. He is the aggregation of all good things. Why should the soul desire less? How can it desire more?

Love nothing but Christ. Love is the choicest affection; it is the richest jewel the creature has to bestow. Oh, if Christ is all--then love Him better than all! He who is all--let Him have all. Give Him your love--who desires it most, and deserves it best.

Oh, Christian, have you seen the Lord Jesus? Has this morning-star shone into your heart with its enlightening, quickening beams? Then rejoice and be exceeding glad! Shall others rejoice in the world--and will not you rejoice in Christ! How much better is He than all other things! It reflects disparagement upon Christ--when His saints are sad and drooping. Is not Christ yours? What more would you have?

Be thankful for Christ. God has done more for you in giving you Christ--than if He had made you angels, or had given you the whole world! God cannot give a greater gift than Christ--who is all in all.

Here is a breast of comfort to every believer--Christ is all.
When a Christian sees a deficiency in himself--he may see an all-sufficiency in his Savior!
He who has Christ, has no lack--for "Christ is all!"

In the hour of death, a believer may rejoice. When he leaves all--he is possessed of all. A godly man say, "I fear not death, because I have Christ to go to! Death will but carry me to that torrent of divine pleasure, which runs at His right hand forevermore! I have the desire to depart and be with Christ--which is far better!" Philippians 1:23

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: June 06, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »

Do not mistake the lessons learned at your mother's knee--for the teachings of the Holy Spirit!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Joash and His Friend Jehoiada")

"Joash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD--all the years of Jehoiada the priest." 2 Chronicles 24:2

After the six years living in the house of God, Joash had a grand start in life with everything to his advantage. Alas, alas, alas, that, with such a bright beginning--he should come to such a wretched end!

Notice also that, being thus well-started, "Joash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD--all the years of Jehoiada the priest." While that godly priest lived, the king was under his influence; he consulted him in every matter of importance. He was plastic under Jehoiada's hand, and he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord--not only that which was right in the sight of godly people. His life seems to have been at least outwardly obedient to the law of Jehovah, and he yielded himself up, apparently, at any rate, to be a loyal servant of the great King; and that he did, not for a short time only--but all the years in which Jehoiada lived.

But Joash buried all his religion in Jehoiada's grave!
The graven images which he had broken down--were set up again.
The Asherah poles which he had cut down--were worshiped again.
And he who seemed so zealous a servant of Jehovah--had now become a worshiper of the foul idols, and bowed before the accursed Baals. Oh, sad, sad, sad!

There was a lack of godly principle in Joash--and it is of this, that I want to warn all.
Do not be satisfied with the practice of piety--without the principles of piety.
It is not enough to have a correct creed--you must have a renewed heart.
It is not sufficient to have an ornate ritual--you must have a holy heart and life.
If this change is not wrought in you by the Holy Spirit--you who yield so readily to godly parents, will yield just as quickly to evil companions when on your own out in the world.

Well, now, have we not known men and women, whose lives have been under the benignant influence of some kind father or mother, and they have done what was right year after year--as long as their godly parents lived? They have been diligent in going up to God's house, apparently devout in Bible-reading and prayer, willing to assist in work in the church and all sorts of service for the Lord, and leading outwardly most useful, admirable lives--all the time that these nobler influences were over them.

More than this, Joash was zealous for the externals of religion: "Joash decided to repair and restore the Temple of the LORD." Yes, and there are some whose hearts are not right towards God, who nevertheless are very zealous about the externals of divine worship. It is a much easier thing to build a temple for God--than it is be a temple for God. Just so, it is a much more common thing for people to show zeal in repairing churches--than in reforming their own lives.

Likewise, there are many who, trained up in the ways of the Lord, are indefatigable in rendering some external service to the cause of the Lord Jesus Christ. They would give to the building of a church; they would work hard to construct it, and so forth. But, alas, you may give, and you may work, and you may attend to all the externals of religion--and yet have no part nor lot in the matter!

All this while, Joash influenced other people for good. As king, he kept back the nation from the worship of idols. As king, he threw the cloak of his patronage over those who worshiped Jehovah; and things seemed to go well for years, "all the days of Jehoiada the priest." As long as Jehoiada lived, Joash seemed to be all that he should be!

All that Joash had done, was to give his heart to Jehoiada--not to Jehovah. It is very easy to be outwardly religious--by giving your heart to your mother or your father--or some godly person who helps you to do what is right. But God says, "My son, give Me your heart." If your religion is taken up to please any creature--it is not the religion which pleases the Creator. Your homage is due, not to anyone here below, but to Him who sits in the heavens, whose kingdom rules over all.

This yielding to godly influences may exist without any personal, vital godliness whatever! You may meet with God's people--and yet not be one of God's people. A young man may yield to his mother's advice--and yet never be really repentant on account of sin. He may listen to his father's word, and pay respect to the externals of his father's religion--but yet never have sincerely believed in the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is so easy to have been under religious influence from our youth up, and then to go on, year after year, never having raised the question whether we are true Christians or not!

Many young people are like Joash: sinful human nature is held in check for a while--not the Spirit of God creating a new life, and infusing a new character into the soul.

Do not imagine that natural religion is spiritual religion. Do not mistake the lessons learned at your mother's knee--for the teachings of the Holy Spirit! Though you were raised under the most hallowed influences, you only need an opportunity, a temptation, a peculiar stress laid upon you--and you will go off where the old nature carries you, and you will find out for yourself, and to the horror of others--that all your early religious training had effected nothing!

Oh, if I could tell some of you what will become of you--you would be so angry with me! If I could prophesy to some good young fellow--I mean, outwardly good as Joash was at first, but without a new heart, without the grace of God in his soul--if I could prophesy to him what a monster he will become--he would spit in my face in indignation that I should dare to foretell such a thing!

Yet there is not a man or woman who is safe from the most abominable sin--until they sincerely yield themselves to Christ. There is not one who is sure that the deepest damnation of Hell will not be their portion--unless they sincerely come and commit their soul into the hands of Jesus!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: June 07, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »

God is to have the scraps of a man's life!

(Charles Spurgeon, "A Good Start!")

David said, "O Lord, truly I am Your servant." Psalm 116:16

If you become the servant of God--then become the servant of God truly. God is not mocked.

It is the curse of our churches, that we have so many merely nominal Christians in them. It is the plague of this age, that so many profess Christ--and yet never intend to live for Him. Oh, if you serve God, mean it!

If a man serves the devil--then let him serve the devil!
But if he serves God--then let him serve God!

Is there not much of this hypocrisy abroad? God is to have the scraps of a man's life--and he flings these down as if they were all that God was worth. But as for the world, that is to have the vigor of his life and the cream of his being.

God does not want nominal servants! "O Lord, truly I am Your servant!" He who does not mean to be truly God's servant, let him not pretend to be one at all.

Every man in the presence of the cross-bearing Jesus, should feel that to take up his cross and follow Christ is the most natural thing that can be; and he should resolve in God's strength that he will do it, and continue to obey the Lord, though all the world should ridicule. He must put on the badge of Christ, and say, "I am His servant and His follower from this day to life's end, and will shoulder the cross! I am free from all the maxims and customs of the world!"

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: June 08, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »

It is not because He needs them!

"God is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything--because He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else!" Acts 17:25

Let no man imagine that God needs any of us. He was perfect--perfectly happy and perfectly glorious--long before wing of angel moved in space, or time even existed! God ever was and still is self-contained and all-sufficient. If He chooses to make any creatures, or to preserve or use any of the creatures He has formed--it is not because He needs them, or is in the least degree dependent upon them.

"Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded as dust on the scales; He weighs the islands as though they were fine dust. Lebanon is not sufficient for altar fires, nor its animals enough for burnt offerings. Before Him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by Him as worthless and less than nothing. To whom, then, will you compare God? What image will you compare Him to?" Isaiah 40:15-18

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. He brings princes to naught, and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing!" Isaiah 40:21-23

"I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is Mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills! I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are Mine! If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is Mine, and all that is in it!" Psalm 50:9-12

"Who has ever given to God, that God should repay Him? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen." Romans 11:35-36

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: June 09, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »

It will make you doubly happy, even in this life!

"Godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come!" 1 Timothy 4:8

The gospel will bring you present blessings! It will give you . . .
  present pardon,
  present justification
  present regeneration,
  present adoption,
  present sanctification,
  present access to God,
  present peace through believing,
  and present help in time of trouble.
It will make you doubly happy, even in this life! It will be . . .
  wisdom for your way,
  strength for your conflict,
  and comfort for your sorrow.

To have the love of God in the heart,
to have present and eternal peace with God,
to be able to look up to Heaven with confidence,
to talk to my Heavenly Father in childlike trustfulness
--is a present joy and comfort worth more than worlds!

Believer! You now enjoy the unchanging favor of God, so that you will go your way henceforth not to live as others do--but as the chosen of God, beloved with special love, enriched with special blessings, to rejoice every day until you are taken up to dwell where Jesus is!

"For the grace of God that brings salvation . . . teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions--and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age!" Titus 2:11-12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: June 10, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »

I am chained to the chariot of rolling time!

(Charles Spurgeon, "The Swiftness of Life!")

"My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle!" Job 7:6

"My days are but a breath!" Job 7:16

"My days are swifter than a runner--they flee away!" Job 9:25

"My days pass by like swift ships--like an eagle swooping on its prey!" Job 9:26

"Are not my days few?" Job 10:20

"My days are cut short, the grave awaits me!" Job 17:1

"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes!" James 4:14

Let me speak to you of . . .
  the frailty of human life,
  the fleeting nature of time,
  how swiftly time passes away,
  how soon we shall all fade as the leaf, and
  how speedily the place which knows us now, shall know us no more forever.

It is a great fact that life to the young man appears to be long.
Yet to the old man, life is ever short.
And to all men, life is really but a brief period!

Children sometimes blow bubbles, and amuse themselves thereby. Life is even as that bubble. You see it rising into the air; the child delights itself by seeing it fly about, but it is all gone in one moment! So uncertain is life!

Human life is not long. Compare it with the ages of the universe, and it becomes a span; and especially measure it by eternity--and how imperceptible does life appear! It sinks like one small drop into the ocean--and becomes as insignificant as one tiny grain of sand upon the sea-shore!

Life is swift!

Your pulses each moment beat the funeral marches to the tomb!

I am chained to the chariot of rolling time--there is no bridling the steeds, or leaping from the chariot. The wind of time bears me along--I cannot stop its motion. I am moving through time at an incalculable rate. Oh! what an idea it is, could I grasp it!

The wise man says, "For who knows what is good for man in life, all the days of his vain life which he passes like a shadow?" Ecclesiastes 6:12. Now what can there be less substantial than a shadow? What substance is there in a shadow? Who can lay hold thereof? You may see it, but the moment the person passes by, it is gone.

Yes, and who can grasp his life? Many men reckon upon a long existence, and think they are going to live forever; but who can calculate upon a shadow? Go, O man, who say to your soul, "Eat, drink, and be merry; I have much goods laid up for many years!" Go, and store your barn with shadows; go and pile shadows up, and say, "These are mine, and they shall never depart." But, say you, "I cannot catch a shadow!" No and you can not reckon on a year, for it is as a shadow, which soon melts away and is gone!

"My days pass by like swift ships!" Like a swift ship, my life must speed on its way until it reaches its haven. But where is that haven to be? Shall it be found in the land of eternal bitterness and punishment--that dreary region of the lost? Or shall it be that sweet haven of eternal peace, where not a troubling wave can ruffle the quiescent glory of my spirit?

Wherever the haven is to be, that truth is the same, we are like "the swift ships."

"So teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the