Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356328 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: June 11, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The secret of true happiness!

(Harvey Newcomb, "The Young Lady's Guide to the Harmonious Development of Christian Character" 1843)

The secret of true happiness lies in a cordial acquiescence in the will of God. It is sweet to lie passive in His hand--and know no will but His!

The doctrine of a 'particular providence' is precious to the Christian's heart. It enables him to see the hand of God in every event. Hence the sinfulness of a repining, discontented, unsubmissive temper. It is difficult to reconcile the habitual indulgence of such a sinful disposition--with the existence of grace in the heart. The first emotion of the new-born soul is submission to the will of God.

We are prone to lose sight of the 'hand of God' in the little difficulties and perplexities which are of every-day occurrence, and to look only at 'second causes'. We often do the same, in more important matters. When we are injured or insulted by others, we are disposed to murmur and complain, and give vent to our indignation against the immediate causes of our distress; forgetting that these are only the 'instruments which God employs' for the trial of our faith, or the correcting of our sins.

In this doctrine of the secret agency of divine Providence, we have the strongest motive for a hearty and cheerful resignation to all the troubles and difficulties, trials and afflictions, which come upon us in this life--whatever may be their immediate cause. We know that they are directed by our heavenly Father, whose "tender mercies are over all His works," and who "does not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men."

Whatever may be our afflictions, so long as we are out of Hell, we are monuments of His mercy.

We are assured "that all things work together for good, to those who love God." The afflictions of this life, are the faithful corrections of a kind and tender Father. "For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and He scourges every son whom He receives." How consoling the reflection--that all our sufferings are designed to mortify and subdue our corruptions, to wean us from the world, and lead us to a more humble and constant sense of dependence upon God! How ungrateful for a child of God to repine at the dealings of such a tender and faithful Father!

God will give us all that He sees is best for us. And surely we ought to be satisfied with this; for He who sees the end from the beginning, must know much better than we--what is for our good. It is our duty to maintain a contented and cheerful spirit in every situation of life.

If God directs all our ways, and has promised to give us just what He sees we need, we surely ought to rest satisfied with what we have; for we know it is just what the Lord, in His infinite wisdom and unbounded goodness--sees fit to give us.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: June 12, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

No hissing serpent!

(Thomas Boston, "Human Nature in its Fourfold State")

Believers shall be made completely happy in the kingdom of Heaven. They shall be fully freed from sin, which of all evils, is the worst.

They shall be free from all temptation to sin. Satan can have no access to tempt them any more, by himself, or by his agents. No hissing serpent can come into the paradise above! No snare or trap can be laid there, to catch the feet of the saints. They may walk there without fear, for they can be in no hazard in the promised land. They shall be set beyond the possibility of sinning, for they shall be confirmed in holiness.

The guilt and the reigning power of sin are then taken away. The corrupt nature will be fully removed, and no vestiges of it left in their souls. Their nature shall be altogether pure and sinless.

There shall be no darkness in their minds; but the understanding will be as a globe of pure and unmixed light.

There shall not be the least aversion to good, nor the least inclination to evil, in their wills. They will be brought to a perfect conformity to the will of God--blessed with angelic purity, and fixed therein.

Their affections shall not be liable to the least disorder or irregularity. They will get such a fixed habit of purity, as they can never lose. They will be so refined from all earthly dross, as never more to savor of anything but of Heaven.

Their graces shall then be fully perfected.
There will be no more ground for complaints . . .
  of weakness of grace,
  or of an evil heart,
  or a corrupt nature.

And they shall be freed from all the effects of sin: "God will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever!" Revelation 21:4

In Heaven they find the completion and satisfaction of all their desires--having the full enjoyment of God, and uninterrupted communion with Him. In the heavenly Canaan, Immanuel's land--nothing is lacking to complete the happiness of the inhabitants. This is the holy and happy country--blessed with a perpetual spring, and which yields all things for necessity, convenience, and delight!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: June 13, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »

Lost sinners should be afraid!

(Matthew Henry)

Lost sinners should be afraid! They have . . . .
  an angry God above them,
  a guilty conscience within them,
  and a yawning Hell below them!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: June 14, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »

The sweeter morsel for the worm!

(Charles Spurgeon, "The Profit of Godliness in the Life to Come")

"But godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8

How many live for that poor body of theirs which so soon must moulder back to the dust!
To dress,
to adorn themselves,
to catch the glance of the admirer's eye,
to satisfy public taste,
to follow fashion--
surely an object in life more frivolous never engrossed an immortal soul!

It seems as strange as if an angel should be gathering daisies, or blowing soap bubbles!

An immortal spirit living . . .
  to dress the body,
  to paint the face,
  to dye the hair,
  to display a ribbon,
  to show off a pin--
is this the pursuit of an immortal being?

Yet tens of thousands live for little else!

As for earth's most lovely ones--how do time, and death, and the worm together, make havoc of them!

Take up yonder skull, just upturned by the sexton's careless  spade, and take it to the yonder beauty, and tell her, though she paint an inch thick--to this complexion she must come at last! All her dressing shall end in a shroud--and all her makeup and her dainty ornaments shall only make her the sweeter morsel for the worm!

Beloved friends, there is another life beyond this fleeting existence! Why then, do you waste your time and degrade your souls with these frivolities?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: June 16, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »

The deceitful harlot has bewitched you with her enchantments!

(Joseph Alleine, "Alarm to the Unconverted!")

Before a man has true faith, he is overcome by the world. He either . . .
  bows down to mammon,
  idolizes his reputation, or
  is a lover of pleasure more than a lover of God.

Here is the root of man's misery by the fall: he is turned aside to the creature, and gives that esteem, confidence and affection to the creature--which is due to God alone.

Oh miserable man, what a deformed monster sin has made you! God made you "little lower than the angels"--sin has made you little better than the devils!

Sin has made you a monster who has his head and his heart where his feet should be--and his feet kicking against heaven--and everything out of place! The world which was formed to serve you--now rules you! The deceitful harlot has bewitched you with her enchantments--and made you bow down and serve her!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: June 17, 2015, 06:55:35 PM »

Happiness lies in the heart, rather than in the purse!

(Charles Spurgeon, "A Good Start!")

Contentment with your lot, and confidence in God--will make life peaceful and happy! A dinner of herbs with contentment, will yield a flavor of satisfaction unknown to those who eat the fattened ox.

It is better to be happy than to be rich--happiness lies in the heart, rather than in the purse!

It is not what a man has, but what a man is--which will decide his bliss or woe in both this life and the next.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need--and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want!" Philippians 4:11-12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: June 18, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »

And yet upon this short time!

(Jeremy Taylor)

God has given to man a short time here upon earth--and yet upon this short time, eternity depends!

"What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short!" 1 Corinthians 7:29

"For we are only of yesterday and know nothing, because our days on earth are as a shadow!" Job 8:9

"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes!" James 4:14

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life!" Psalm 39:4

"Our days on earth are like a passing shadow, gone so soon without a trace!" 1 Chronicles 29:15

"We blossom like a flower and then wither. Like a passing shadow, we quickly disappear!" Job 14:2

"My life passes as swiftly as the evening shadows. I am withering away like grass!" Psalm 102:11

"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise--making the most of your time." Ephesians 5:15-16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »

Are you not put to shame by every little bird that sits upon the bough and sings, though it has not two grains of barley in all the world?

(Charles Spurgeon, "A Good Start!")

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life--what you will eat or drink; or about your body--what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns--and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire--will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things--and your heavenly Father knows that you need them." Matthew 6:25-32

Undue anxiety is very common among the unsaved--I suppose they cannot help it. Yet Christians must help it; for the Lord's precept is plain and binding: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus!" Philippians 4:6-7

Fretful anxiety is forbidden to the Christian!

It is needless. "Look at the birds of the air," said Christ: "they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" If you have a Father in Heaven to care for you--are you not put to shame by every little bird that sits upon the bough and sings, though it has not two grains of barley in all the world? God takes charge of the birds of the air, and thus they live exempt from anxious care--why do not we?

Our Lord also taught that such anxiety is useless as well as needless; for, with all our care, we cannot add a single hour to our life!

Can we do anything else by fretful care? What if the farmer deplores that there is no rain? Do his fears unstop the bottles of Heaven? Or if the merchant sighs because the wind detains his ship laden with goods--will his complainings turn the gale to another quarter?

We do not better ourselves a bit, by all our fretting and fuming. It would be infinitely wiser to do our best--and then casts our care upon our God!

Prudence is wisdom--for it adapts means to ends.
But anxiety is folly--for it groans and worries, and accomplishes nothing!

Besides, according to our Savior, anxiety about worldly things is heathenish: "For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them!" They have no God and no providence--and therefore they try to be a providence to themselves. Let the heir of Heaven act a nobler part than the mere man of the world--who has his portion in this life, and lives without God and without hope.

Our distrust of our God is both childish and dishonoring. I was driven through the streets one day by a friend in a four-wheeled carriage, and he, being a good driver, must needs drive into narrow places, where it seemed to me that we would be crushed by the vans and omnibuses. I shrank back in my timidity, and expressed my unwise alarms so freely, that with a smile he laid the reins in my hand, and said, "If you cannot trust me--would you like to drive yourself?" From that ambition I was wholly free, and I assured him that he might drive as he liked, rather than make me the charioteer!

Surely, the great God might well put the same proposal to those who are complaining of His providence. If we cannot trust Him--could we manage better ourselves?

If we are Christians, let us believe in our God, and leave the governance of the great world to the Lord God, our heavenly Father, who will surely cause all things to work together for good to those who love Him!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: June 20, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »

Delighting in God!

(James Smith, "The Believer's Companion in Seasons of Affliction and Trouble" 1842)

"Delight yourself in the Lord--and He shall give you the desires of your heart!" Psalm 37:4

Delighting in worldly things--effectually prevents our delighting in God. Therefore it is often the case, that the Lord strips us of these things, or incapacitates us to enjoy them--in order to bring us back to delight in Himself.

He delights in His people--and He desires that His people to delight in Him. In order to accomplish this, He has revealed Himself in the most amiable characters, as . . .
  a Husband;
  a Friend;
  a Brother;
  a Savior;
  a Shepherd, and so forth--
all on purpose to endear Himself to us!

Surely if our hearts were right--we would delight in Him on account of . . .
  His glorious perfections;
  His unalterable love;
  the perfect atonement made for our sins;
  the promises made for our comfort and encouragement;
  the gift of the Holy Spirit;
  the communion we are urged to hold with Himself;
  and the glorious paradise of blessedness set before us--where we shall forever . . .
    view the unfolding of His glories,
    enjoy the riches of His grace, and
    drink of the river of His pleasures!

Sick Christian, Jesus bids you to delight in Him!
Delight in Him as your Savior, Friend, and Brother!
Delight in His person and glories!
Delight in His perfect work!
Delight in His glorious fullness!
Delight in your salvation in Him, union to Him, and claim upon Him.
Oh, delight in Jesus!
You will have no permanent peace or solid satisfaction--but as you are delight in Him, and rejoice in Him, saying, "You are my portion, O Lord!"

He who delights in God has the desires of His heart--because they are in accordance with the purpose, promise, and pleasure of God.

The mind is thrown into the mold of God's mind, and the soul cries from its inmost recesses, "Not my will--but may Your will be done!" Its pleasures are spiritual, permanent, and satisfactory. The desire for earthly things becomes very contracted--a little of the things of this poor world will satisfy a soul that is delighting in Jehovah.

Delighting in God always produces resignation and holy contentment. Whatever they have--they enjoy it as the undeserved gift of God; and they feel obligated and thankful for all. They would rather be conformed to God's will--than have their own will. They know that His appointments are best--because they are infinitely wise, holy, and gracious. They can say, "I trust in You, O Lord, for You are my God! My times are in Your hand!" They find that godliness with contentment is great gain; and say with one of old, "The little that a righteous man has--is better than the riches of many wicked!" "Better a little with the fear of the Lord--than great treasure with turmoil."

The presence, the promise, and the smile of God--are to them inestimably valuable; but other things are not so important. They seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness--and all other necessary things are added unto them. They live at the fountain--when all the streams are dried up! They delight in God--when creatures fade and wither!

O Lord! I would delight in Thee,
And on Your care depend;
To You in every trouble flee,
My best, my only Friend!

No good in creatures can be found,
But may be found in Thee;
I must have all things and abound,
While God is God to me!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: June 21, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »

They would dance with the devil all day--and then dine with Christ at night!

(John Trapp)

"Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!"  Numbers 23:10

Some faint desires, and short-winded wishes, may be sometimes found in carnal men--but the mischief is that they would break God's chain, and would sunder . . .
  holiness, from happiness,
  sanctification, from salvation,
  and the means, from the end.

They would dance with the devil all day--and then dine with Christ at night!

They would live all their lives in Delilah's lap--and then go to Abraham's bosom when they die!

~  ~  ~  ~

"There are many who desire to die the death of the righteous--but do not endeavor to live the life of the righteous. Gladly would they have their end like theirs--but not their way. They would be saints in Heaven--but not saints on earth. If you resolve to serve God--you must renounce all competitors with Him!" (Matthew Henry)

~  ~  ~  ~

"I hope none of you calculate on serving the devil all their lives--and cheating God with their dying breath. You can't cheat God by giving him the last snuff of an expiring candle!" (Edward Taylor)

~  ~  ~  ~

"He who would die well, should live well; for a bad death must be the outcome of a bad life!" (Adam Clarke)

~  ~  ~  ~

"A Christian is not afraid of death--but of sin!
 An unconverted man is not afraid of sin--but of death!" (Brownlow North)
"It is appointed unto men once to die--but after this the judgment!" Hebrews 9:2

~  ~  ~  ~

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money!" Matthew 6:24

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: June 22, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »

Carry all your concerns to Him--in the arms of faith!

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Morning Visit")

"Casting all your care upon Him--because He cares for you!" 1 Peter 5:7

The Lord knows all His people--all their needs, and all their trials.

He thinks upon them--to bless, deliver and supply them.

He keeps His eye upon them--in all places, at all times, and under all circumstances.

He has them in His hand--and will not loosen His hold.

He looks upon them always as His own 'treasured possession' . . .
  the objects of His eternal love,
  the purchase of His Son's blood,
  the temples of His Holy Spirit.

They are precious in His sight!

He knows they are weak and fearful--and that they have many enemies. He teaches them to cast themselves and all their cares into His hands! And He has given them His promise--that He will care for them.

It is a Father's care which He exercises. It is a wise, holy, tender, and constant care. Therefore all will be well with you--only trust Him.

Believe that He cares for you this day. Carry all your concerns to Him--in the arms of faith! Leave all with Him, persuaded that He will manage all by His infinite wisdom, and bring all to a good outcome by His omnipotent power.

Do not worry about anything. Cast all your cares upon Him--as fast as they come in.

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will support you! He will never allow the righteous to be shaken!" Psalm 55:22

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: June 23, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

I will arise and go to my Father!

(James Smith, "Daily Bible Readings")

"I will arise and go to my Father!" Luke 15:18

This is a child's cry!

It is full of meaning.

It is full of love.

It is full of comfort.

It is a title which the Lord loves to hear us use!

Lord, give us the Spirit of adoption, and let
us know and feel, that we are Your children!

Believer!
To whom will you repair in trouble?
To whom will you look in difficulty?
To whom will you cry in danger?
From whom will you ask when in need?
Surely I hear you say, "My Father!"

Who speaks to you in the Bible?
Who tries you by His providence?
Who chastens you with His rod?
Who purifies and cleanses you?
Who humbles and reproves you?
Again you will say, "My Father!"

Who supports the world?
Who controls the nations?
Who chains up Satan?
Who comforts the believer?
Who pardons the backslider?
Again you reply, "My Father!"

Then I exhort you to . . .
  trust your Father's Word,
  abide in your Father's heart,
  expect from your Father's hand,
  and say in every trial:
"I will arise and go to my Father!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: June 24, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »

The Christian life

(Arthur Pink)

"If anyone would come after Me, he must:
   deny himself and
   take up his cross daily and
   follow Me." Luke 9:23

The Christian life is a life that consists of following Jesus.

The first step toward a daily following of Christ, is the denying of self.

Many suppose they are followers of Christ, and yet ignore the path which He traveled. They imagine that may decline the unpleasant tasks of denying self and cross bearing--and yet enter Heaven when they die. What a delusion!

The one who disregards God's commandments is not walking as Christ walked; instead, he is walking as the world walks.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand!" John 10:27-28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: June 25, 2015, 06:40:41 PM »

An unseen principle of madness permeates his entire being!

(Frank Hall)

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time!" Genesis 6:5

"Her sins are piled up to heaven, and God has remembered her crimes!" Revelation 18:5

"Fools mock at sin!" Proverbs 14:9

"Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them!" Romans 1:32

Man by nature is insane! He suffers from a deep rooted psychosis called sin! An unseen principle of madness permeates his entire being! Fallen man is a stark raving lunatic--whose depravity, rebellion, and malice against God literally knows no limit.

Thoroughly degraded, man is a weak, tiny, insignificant, little dung-beetle--yet, in his senseless audacity and brazen insolence he daily tempts God to destroy him by stubbornly refusing to obey Him.

If it is madness for maggots on a dunghill to oppose the all-powerful boot of man--then we worms of the earth dare not oppose the Most High God, whose invisible boot of omnipotent sovereignty could squash our souls into Hell with unthinkable ease! Such unwarranted impudence is not only futile, but completely and utterly insane!

"You have sinned against the Lord. Be sure your sin will find you out!" Numbers 32:23

"I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless!" Isaiah 13:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: June 26, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »

This God is mine, in all His glorious perfection!

(Archibald Brown, "This God Is Our God!" 1896)

"The LORD's portion is His people!" Deuteronomy 32:9

"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" Lamentations 3:24

The above two passages of Scripture ought never to be separated.
God and my soul possess each other.
God finds his portion in His people--and His people find their portion in God!

This God is mine, in all His glorious perfection!
His heart is mine--for He loves me.
His ear is mine--for I may pour into it all my tales of sorrow, and all my songs of joy.
His eyes are mine--for they watch me from morning until night.
His hand is mine--for it is stretched out to uphold me.

Oh, He is a God of infinite glory! Abased in the very dust, and half bewildered by the thought, I yet dare to look up, and say, "This God is my God forever and ever! He will be my guide even unto death!" Psalm 48:14

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the