Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:50:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356222 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: August 08, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

They are the willing, abject slaves of what is called amusement!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"In gambling there is a secret enchantment. A man will play a little, and only venture a small sum--but soon he is enticed in, and more and more entangled. Just so, men think it is no great matter to sin a little--and yet that little leads on to more!"

The illustration is most forcible. Many people have put down a dollar on the gambling-table when passing through the room--and from that moment their ruin has been sealed. They will be seen from day to day staking their hundreds--until the last fatal roll of the dice leaves them penniless! They are the willing, abject slaves of what is called amusement!

Thus does sin begin with littles, and glides into more serious faults--until the sinner is spellbound, and finds himself enthralled by folly, which he has no ability to leave.

Be it ours to give no place to the devil. Let him not have a spot whereon to set up his enchantment, and work his diabolical arts.

If we never venture a farthing upon Satan's table--we shall never be made beggars by his subtle devices!

If he is not allowed to spin a spider's web about us--he will never be able to hold us with the cords of iniquity!

If we never wade into sin--we shall never drown in it!

Lord, keep us from the very appearance of evil!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »

If we spend our time on the newspaper, or sit hour after hour reading trashy novels!

"Take a mirror and turn it toward Heaven--and there you shall see the reflection of Heaven, the clouds and things above. Turn it downward toward the earth, you shall see the reflection of the earth, trees, meadows, men. Just so does the soul receive a reflection from the things to which it is set. If the heart is set toward Heaven--that puts you into a heavenly frame. If you set your heart on earthly objects--you are a man of the earth!"

Are our thoughts and our affections full of worldliness? Let us make good use of the above figure, and turn the mirror the other way. Our mind will readily enough reflect divine things, if we turn it in that direction. Let us see if it is not so. Prayerfully read your Bible, or some lively devotional book--and see if the heart is not immediately filled with holy and heavenly reflections.

At any rate, if we spend our time on the newspaper, or sit hour after hour reading trashy novels--we have no reason to wonder that thought and heart go after vanity! The turning of the mind upward is half the battle. We cannot expect it to reflect that toward which it does not turn.

Those who mind earthly things--are earthly.
Those who set their affections upon things above--are heavenly.

Paul shows how practically useful it is to turn the mind Godward, when he says that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world, "looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ."

We may well cry concerning this matter, "Turn us, O Lord, and we shall be turned!" If we cannot see divine truth to our enjoyment--let us nevertheless look that way; for that eye is blessed which looks in the direction of the light.

He who would behold the sun at its rising--must look to the east.
Just so, he who would see God as his delight--must look Godward.

If the mirror of the soul is resolutely set toward the Lord, we shall with open face behold, as in a mirror, the glory of the Lord, and be changed into the same image from glory to glory!

O, my blessed Master, help me I beseech you, to keep the mirror of my mind in the right position--that evermore I may see You! True, it will be but as in a dark mirror, but even that will be a marvelous preparation for beholding Your face to face in glory!

"Those who live according to the sinful nature--have their minds set on what that nature desires;
 but those who live in accordance with the Spirit--have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
Romans 8:5

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things!" Colossians 3:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 12, 2014, 02:35:02 AM »

He and Bacchus were rolling in the gutter together!

"In a fit of anger, we bid a naughty servant begone--but he lingers in the house, and before the next morning all is cool and quiet, and he is again in our favor. Just so, many a time an argument happens between a man and his lusts--but after a short time, he again hugs his darling lusts."

Ungodly men have their quarrels with their favorite sins on various accounts. But these are like children's disputes with one another--soon over, because they come from passion, and not from principle.

An unholy person will fall out with sin, because it has injured his health or his credit, or has brought him into difficulties with his neighbors. But when these temporary results are ended, he falls in love again with the same iniquity! Thus we have seen the drunkard loathing his excess in the morning, when his eyes were red, and his head was aching; but before the sun went down, the quarrel was ended, and he and Bacchus were rolling in the gutter together!
(N.B. Bacchus is the Roman god of wine and intoxication.)

Our enmity to sin should be based upon sound knowledge and solid reason, and be wrought in us by the Spirit of God--and then it will lead us to join in solemn league with the Lord, who has war with Amalek throughout all generations. We must have no peace with sin--nay, not with the least sin!

Of old, converted Israelites cast their idols to the moles and to the bats--away from their sight with the moles, away from the light with the bats. Just so, our detestation must lead us to put sin among the dead and the forgotten! So far from ever entering into amity with it, we must regard it as a dead and corrupted thing, forever abandoned to silence and the worm! As Heaven and Hell will never unite--so must it be plain that a saint and sin will never come together on any terms whatever.

Lord, I beseech You to keep me ever in desperate earnest in my war with sin. Forbid that I should trifle in this conflict, or grow cold in it. Let me be bound to never-ending warfare with my own sin--and never may I be pacified until Christ has utterly crushed the foul foe! Like your servant David, I would hate every false way!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 12, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »

The grandest benefactors of the church!

"By running and exercising every day, you are the fitter to run in a race. Just so, the oftener you come into God's presence--the greater confidence, and freedom, and enlargement it will bring to your soul."

No doubt by praying we learn to pray; and the more we pray--the oftener we can pray, and the better we can pray. He who prays by fits and starts is never likely to attain to that effectual, fervent prayer which avails much.

Prayer is good,
the habit of prayer is better,
but the spirit of prayer is the best of all.
It is in the spirit of prayer, that we pray without ceasing.

It is astonishing what distances men can run, who have long practiced; and it is equally marvelous for what a length of time they can maintain a high speed after they have once acquired stamina and skill in using their muscles.

Just so, great power in prayer is within our reach, but we must work to obtain it. Let us never imagine that Abraham could have interceded so successfully for Sodom, if he had not been all his lifetime in the practice of communion with God. Jacob's all-night at Peniel was not the first occasion upon which he had met his God. We may even look upon our Lord's most choice and wonderful prayer with His disciples before His Passion, as the flower and fruit of His many nights of devotion, and of His often rising up a great while before day to pray.

A man who becomes a great runner has to put himself in training, and to keep himself in it; and that training consists very much of the exercise of running. Those who have distinguished themselves for speed have not suddenly leaped into eminence, but have long been runners.

Just so, if a man dreams that he can become mighty in prayer just when he pleases, he labors under a great mistake. The prayer of Elijah, which shut up Heaven and afterward opened its floodgates--was one of a long series of mighty prevailings with God. Oh that Christian men would remember this!

Perseverance in prayer is necessary to prevalence in prayer!

Those great intercessors, who are not so often mentioned as they ought to be in connection with confessors and martyrs, were nevertheless the grandest benefactors of the church. But it was only by abiding at the mercy-seat, that they attained to be such channels of mercy to men.

O Jesus, by whom we come to God, seeing You have Yourself trodden the way of prayer, and never turned from it--teach me to remain a suppliant as long as I remain a sinner, and to wrestle in prayer so long as I have to wrestle with the powers of evil. Whatever else I may outgrow, may I never dream that I may relax my supplications.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: August 12, 2014, 02:37:10 AM »

If they cannot have a fresh dish from Satan's kitchen!

"If ravens are driven away from carrion, they love to abide within scent of it.
 If you would be free from sin--then avoid the temptations which lead to it!"

This first sentence is a grim parable, but all too true. We have seen those who dared not enter the devil's house--linger long around his doors! The old woman in the fable could find no wine in the jar--yet loved to smell at it. It is a clear proof of the love of human nature to evil that, when restrained from actual sin--men will rehearse their former exploits, and dote on the lusts which they indulged years ago! If they cannot have a fresh dish from Satan's kitchen, they will have his crumbs, sooner than go without!

Our author gives sage advice at the outset, when he says: To avoid sin--avoid temptation.

He who would not be wounded, should keep out of battle.

He who would not be tossed about, should not go to sea.

He who would not be burned, should keep away from the fire.

If men will get into the train which runs to the terminus of iniquity--they must expect to be carried to their journey's end.

If I stand in the way of sinners, I shall soon run with them.

Oh to possess a godly fear, which shall lead me rather to go ten miles out of the way, than pass by the place of temptation!

It is well to keep out of the smell of sin, for the very odor of it is baneful.

If we seek a temptation--we shall soon find it. And within it, like a kernel in a nut, we shall meet with sin!

Oh that we had the wit to see this, and were more firmly resolved not to stand in the broad road that leads to destruction, or even go near it--lest we should become regular travelers upon it! "Keep to a path far from the adulteress, do not go near the door of her house!" Proverbs 5:8

Lord, give me prudence. As I would not devour the carrion of sin, give me grace that the most distant scent of it shall at once sicken me, and cause me to keep my steps as far from it as possible!

"Blessed is the man who does not . . .
  walk in the counsel of the wicked,
  or stand in the way of sinners,
  or sit in the seat of mockers." Psalm 1:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Lord, I thank you for shaking me!

"When the tree is soundly shaken, the rotten apples fall to the ground. Just so, in great trials, unsound professors will fall away."

First, trials and afflictions test me, that I may see how far my supposed graces are real and vital. Those which are unsound will soon be lost; only the living and growing graces will remain.

Secondly, trials and afflictions relieve me, for it is a hurtful thing to the tree and to its living fruit to be cumbered with rottenness, in which may breed noxious worms, which when they multiply may come to be devourers of the tree's life!

We are enriched when we lose fabricated virtues. Stripping of filthy rags, is an advance toward cleanliness--and what are counterfeit graces but mere rags, worthy to be torn off and cast into the fire?

In the end, such a result of affliction also beautifies me. For as rotten apples disfigure the tree, so would the mere pretense of virtue mar my character in the sight of God and holy men. It is always better to be openly without a virtue, than to bear the form of it without in reality possessing it.
A sham--is a shame!
An unreal virtue--is an undoubted vice!

Lord, I thank you for shaking me, since I now perceive that all this good and much more is designed by the process; and is, I trust, in some measure accomplished thereby. Oh that your Holy Spirit may bless my adversities to this end!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 14, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »

The Shepherd searching for the sheep!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Secret Place" 1907)

"This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for My sheep and look after them!" Ezekiel 34:11

The prophet looked into a distant future, and saw the day of Christ from afar.

1. Just so, I look back and see my sovereign Lord in the manger-cradle at Bethlehem. He has emptied Himself--He has laid all His glory down. He has come to my earth, not in the splendors of His divinity, but with an infant's palpable and pathetic claim for nursing and nurture. He has taken my nature in its feeblest and most helpless condition, and made it His own nature.

It is a long way for the Shepherd to travel in search of the sheep--no arithmetic can compute it, no history can describe the downward journey. But the Incarnation is not enough. Not at Bethlehem does the Lover of my soul find me who has departed from His fold.

2. Then I see my sovereign Lord on the hillsides and in the cornfields and on the lake-waters of Galilee.

Never a man speaks like this Man--His are the words of grace and truth, of fire and dew.

Never a man lives like this Man--He does not weary in healing, feeding, comforting, rebuking sin, and compassionating and blessing the sinner.

He is seeking me by the messages of His lips, and by the blamelessness and beneficence of His life. Patiently He is enticing me home. But the ministry of word and miracle is not enough. Not in Capernaum does the Flock-master find me, who am so persevering in my revolt.

3. Then I see my sovereign Lord beneath the olive trees in Gethsemane. He is praying with strong cryings and tears. He has come very near to the transgressors now, and more poignantly than ever He feels the awfulness of their burden. His sweat, falling down to the ground, is, as it were, great drops of blood. The Seeker is learning the sharpness of the crag, and the rush of the torrent. None has cared for me so much; none has borne a sorrow so deep on my behalf. But His intercession and His sympathy are not enough. Not in the agonies of the garden, does He succeed in finding me.

4. But, last, I see my sovereign Lord nailed to the Cross outside the gate on the Hill of Reproach. He dies for sin--but not His own; He is purer than the newborn lamb and the new-fallen snow. He lays my immeasurable guilt on Himself. He redeems me by the one perfect offering of His unblemished body and soul. The Good Shepherd is giving His life for His sheep! And this, at length, is enough--the atonement, the blood-shedding. It is enough for God--and it is enough for me.

On Calvary I behold the depth of my iniquity--and the wonder of His redemption!

On Calvary my God finds me, and conquers me, and saves me!

Never was there a sheep so silly, so fond of roaming, so bent on destroying itself!
Never was there a search so longsome, so untiring, and so fraught with suffering!
Never was there a Shepherd like my adorable Redeemer!

"I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep!" John 10:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 15, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

Providence is no other than God providing!

"To be served at table by a great king, would be counted as great a favor as the meal itself. Just so, to take outward blessings out of God's hand--to see that He remembers us, and sends our provision at every turn--this endears His mercy, and increases our delight in Him."

What, indeed, would most men give if they could say, "The Queen herself has served me, and was most anxious that I should be well supplied!" But each believer has the Lord Himself for his Provider. He loads our table, and fills ours cup. Providence is no other than God providing! He . . .
  measures out our joys,
  weighs our sorrows,
  appoints our labors,
  and selects our trials!

There is no morsel on the saint's plate, which is not of the Lord's serving--unless he has been so foolish as to put forth his hand unto iniquity.

It is delightful to know that our Father's hand provided for us the bread which we have eaten this day; that the Savior's own fingers mingled our cup; and that every blessing has come directly from God's own table!

Surely we are as dear to God as the little ewe lamb in Nathan's parable was to the poor man. For we are told that "the poor man had raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him!" Does not this make our food, and drink, and lodging more than royal? Are we not more than content with such fare?

Yes, Lord, my portion tastes of Your divine love, for Your hand has sweetened it. A sacred perfume is on my clothing and in my chamber--for You have prepared both for me. And this would be true if I wore rags, and lay in a dungeon in sore sickness! What a heritage is mine!

O Lord, You are my all, and my all in all. My all is more than all--because it comes of You, and is dealt out to me by Your own precious self!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 16, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »

It is not always ugly!

"But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate!" Revelation 2:6

So I must live, with equal aloofness from every wicked and dubious way--with equal abhorrence of all which my divinely enlightened conscience may not approve. Christ expects me to hate the works of the Nicolaitans!

If I am to escape the seductions of sin--I require such intolerance and hatred.
There is great enticement in sin's gaieties, fascinations, and charms!
It beguiles!
It entraps!
It enthralls!
It is not always ugly--often it has a mesmerizing enchantment. My one safety is have an unflinching opposition to that which is both so fair and so foul at the same time. If I dull the keen edge of my hostility to sin--the plausible and insinuating foe will quickly have me at his mercy!

There is a type of weakness which is all for concession and clemency in the presence of evil. It parleys with sin, and it dallies in its society. It can say a great deal in sin's defense--perhaps it discerns admirable qualities in it.

But the holiness to which I am called, is more manly and soldierly. It will have no friendship with the foul adversary!

If I am to imitate Christ--I require such severities and aversions to sin. He also hates the works of the Nicolaitans. I misread Him if I think of Him as altogether meek and gentle. He sends a sword, He kindles a fire, upon the earth. Before His pure gaze, sin blushes, and droops its proud head, and withers away! He is the Lion of the tribe of Judah, and He will not rest until He has trodden every iniquity under His feet!

"I hate every false way!" Psalm 119:128

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 17, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »

The love of Christ which surpasses knowledge!

"The love of Christ which surpasses knowledge!" Ephesians 3:19

No love stoops like Christ's love. It abandoned place and prospects and power--to save me! It traveled from the heights of Heaven, to the depths of sinful earth. God, pure and holy, chose voluntarily to make His home with me a sinner!

The sole qualification I need to commend myself to Him is not my conviction of worth, but my conviction of worthlessness--my knowledge that I am devoid of goodness and holiness! Then, when I confess myself penniless--He will invest me with His treasures. He banishes no self-destroyed and forlorn and penitent man outside the pale of His grace. His love stoops!

No love suffers like Christ's love. The test of affection is its willingness to suffer sacrifice and pain for another. Never has any affection stood the test like the love of Jesus.

"It is certain," one writes, "that not for one hour on earth, was our Lord without the anguish of His passion." And at last He made the supreme offering of His life for me. Such bitterness, such dereliction, such unspeakable sorrow--there were in my Savior's death. For me He bore the hiding of His Father's face on Calvary. It is an unfathomable pre-eminence of grief. It is a horror of great darkness which I may not pierce. His love suffers!

No love gives like Christ's love. Love is always giving. But when was there human love with such wealth to bestow, and such willingness to communicate it--as the love of Christ? In simple fact, He imparts nothing less than Himself to me! The most unholy, the most tempted, the most despairing--cannot desire anything more sufficient. His love gives!

And no love lasts like Christ's love. The truest and tenderest earthly love says farewell to its beloved in death. And too often, even on this side of the grave, doubts insinuate themselves, and suspicions arise, and covenants are snapped and broken. It is not so with the love of Christ. Neither things present nor things to come, the demands of today and the contingencies of tomorrow--chill that great heart of love! Christ's love is like Himself--eternal and unchangeable. His love lasts!

Does not His wondrous love deserve my whole soul and body--all that I have, and all that I am? Nothing is stranger, and nothing more sad, than that, bathed in Christ's love--I should be so indifferent, so forgetful, so cold!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: August 18, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

The master-strokes of the Divine Artist!

"We would have speedy riddance of trouble--but God does not think it fit to grant our request. Showers that come by drops and soak into the earth, are better than those which come in a tempest and hurricane!"

The gradualness and long continuance of a trial, which are its sharpness and bitterness--are also, to a large extent, the causes of its usefulness. If the sharp affliction came and departed with a rush--we would be rather swept away by it, than softened and saturated by its influence. To push a crucible among the glowing coals and snatch it out again, would answer no purpose in refining--the metal must tarry in the furnace until the fire has done its work.

Perhaps the reader has long lived in the perpetual grip of affliction, and now feels himself to be quite weary of the endless torture. Let him not faint under the lengthened process--the highest degree of benefit is accruing to him, from the continuance of his adversity!

In the later part of a trial, every stroke brings forth a tenfold result, and operates with a greatly increased efficacy. It would be a pity for the Lord to stay His hand, when it is working with such special and marked result. All the preceding affliction has only worked the heart into a fit condition to receive the master-strokes of the Divine Artist! The foundational colors have hitherto been laid on--but the second and finishing touch is now being given! Therefore, do not ask God's hand to cease, but rather pray that its work may be carried on with power, and the Lord's glory be seen in it all.

It will not cease raining yet--and why should it, so long as the soil is being softened, saturated, and fertilized by the falling drops? Let patience have her perfect work--and how can that be, useless the tribulation runs its full time?

Lord, make me ready to tarry for the vision, however long it may be delayed. Your way of trying me is the best. I would not hurry Your hand, if I could!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »

If we had God's power!

(Scott Richardson)

If we had God's power, we would change everything.
If we had God's wisdom, we'd change nothing!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »

A universe which carries the print of the Creator's finger!

"O Lord, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom have You made them all." Psalm 104:24

Let me walk through the world, so various, so beautiful, so pleasing--with an open eye. It is strange that there are many who have no discernment of its wondrousness. They are dwellers in a palace, which has a variety and a magnificence that India's Taj Mahal never possessed--and they are blind to its marvels!

But I would ask for a purged and illuminated vision--and then Your works in nature will astonish me. Let me walk through the world, which is the many-colored vesture of the Lord, with a believing mind.

It is both strange and sad, that men should be atheists in a universe which carries the print of the Creator's finger on . . .
  each grain of sand,
  each blade of grass,
  each beam of light.
They are as senseless as one who would go through a large factory, with its complicated mechanisms and machinery, and would say, "I do not believe man exists!"

But I would be wiser than they. I would subscribe to William Law's sentiment, "Nature is what it is for this end only--that the hidden riches, the invisible powers, the blessings, the glory, and the love of the unsearchable God--may become visible, sensible, and manifest in it and by it!" This is a saner conclusion than the atheist's.

And let me walk through the world with a joyous soul. No doubt, there is much in it to fill the heart with painfulness; and pessimism has turned to the strifes and sorrows of creation for proof of its dismal creed.

But the goodness of God is written, too, in letters of gold on hill and lake and mountain and forest and stream. Not a sunrise, but speaks of His patient and enduring grace. Not a sunset, but stirs the conscience of the sinner, and opens Heaven itself to the saint. So much of His divine glory, the Almighty Maker conveys . . .
  by His sunrise and sunset touches,
  by His flowers and woodland trees,
  by His vast ocean and starry sky.
Therefore let me be strong and of a good courage--He remembers me, His redeemed child!

The sights and sounds of the landscape ought to be preachers and trumpets of the glory of God. In the cool of the day, when I pass through the country fields, or climb to the summit of the hill, or sit and gaze across the sea--God and my soul should meet and talk.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard!" Psalm 19:1-3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »

My needs--His resources!

"Acsah said: 'Let me have another gift. You have already given me land in the South--now please give me springs of water also!' So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs." Judges 1:15

"Also"--the word of Acsah, Caleb's daughter, is the commonest of words in the hungering and thirsting heart, and on the praying lips of the Christian.

God has done much for me. He has given me a south land, where the sun shines, where the fields are broad and rich, where grape-vines and olive trees and fig trees may flourish and yield their harvests.

But I am not yet at the end of my needs--or of His resources. He must give me also springs of water to quicken and revive everything. I have not attained. I am not fully satisfied. As liberal as He has been--He is not wearied in bestowing, nor is His treasury depleted!

Back and back to Him I shall come--with new entreaties and new desires.
Back and back to me He will return--with new endowments and new love.

"Also"--it is both my word and His!

Suppose that I am forgiven--I would have Him also add to His forgiveness, the peace and assurance which it should beget.

Suppose that I am justified in His sight by the infinite meritoriousness of my Lord Jesus Christ--I would also know now what it is to be sanctified and made holy by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.

Suppose that I am His redeemed and adopted child, dwelling in the home and atmosphere of His favor--I would also be His consecrated servant and commissioned ambassador, employed to advance His Kingdom.

Suppose that He has given me the south land of His mercifulness and grace--He must also give me the springs of water, that through the whole of the encircling year I may bear much fruit to His glory.

Lord, give me springs of water also!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 22, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »

Fear not!

I have many agitations and misgivings. But when heart and flesh faint and fail, my Lord has three whispers for me that banish fear and alarm.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you!" Isaiah 43:1
My PAST brings me trouble . . .
  the sins I have committed,
  the duties I have neglected,
  the guilt I am chargeable with,
  the penalty I merit--
these make the retrospect of my days and years sad in the extreme.
I have wrecked my own life.
I have injured others.
I have sinned against God.
Sometimes I am overwhelmed by self-contempt.

But there is redemption--there is forgiveness. God concerns Himself with the locust-eaten yesterday. He forgives it through the might of Christ's Cross. He may transmute my very sins and errors and falls into means of grace--as nature can convert the battlefield that was strewn with the dead, into the greenest of pastures. He redeems me from my past!

"Fear not, for I am with you!" Isaiah 41:10
My PRESENT stirs in me great disquietude.
Apart from my Savior, I am still . . .
  as weak as water before temptation,
  an easy prey to the enemy,
  the willing servant of sin.
But then God remains with me, to preserve . . .
  my soul from death and
  my feet from falling and
  my eyes from tears.
By His providence, His Gospel, His Spirit--He sanctifies and makes me holy.

I know not which to marvel at more: His suffering for me on the cruel Tree--or His long-suffering with me always.

"Fear not, I will help you!" Isaiah 41:13
The FUTURE has its distresses.
Peering ahead, what do I see?
Many perplexities,
many trials and afflictions,
much weariness and struggle.
But my Lord will go before me.
As feeble as I am in myself, I shall be more than a conqueror over all the contingencies of the future, when the Lord helps and strengthens me.

To His thrice-repeated "Fear not!"
I reply, "I will not fear, for . . .
  You have redeemed me,
  You are with me, and
  You will help me!"

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the