Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356270 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: July 24, 2014, 11:02:58 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The first, foremost, chief and principal things in Christianity!

(J.C. Ryle, "Evangelical Religion")

1. The Absolute Supremacy of Holy Scripture
Show us anything, plainly written in that Book--and we will receive it, believe it, and submit to it! Show us anything contrary to that Book, and however sophisticated, plausible, beautiful and apparently desirable--and we will not have it at any price!

2. The Doctrine of Human Sinfulness and Corruption
Man is radically diseased and dead in sin. I believe that ignorance of the extent of the Fall, and of the whole doctrine of original sin, is one grand reason why many can neither understand, appreciate, nor receive Evangelical Religion.

3. The Work and Office of our Lord Jesus Christ
The eternal Son of God is our Representative and Substitute. We hold that nothing whatever is needed between the sinner, and Christ the Savior, but simple child-like faith.

4. The Inward Work of the Holy Spirit
We maintain that the things which need most to be pressed on men's attention are those mighty works of the Holy Spirit--inward repentance, faith, hope, hatred of sin, and love to God's Word. We say that to tell men to take comfort in their baptism or church membership, when these all-important graces are unknown--is not merely a grave mistake, but positive cruelty!

5. The Outward and Visible Work of the Holy Spirit in the Life of Man
We maintain that to tell a man he is "born of God" or regenerated, while living in carelessness or sin, is a dangerous delusion!

We say boldly that the above five points are the first, foremost, chief and principal things in Christianity.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: July 25, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »

Yes, indeed, this is the wonder of wonders, the miracle of miracles!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"Christ died for the ungodly!" Romans 5:6

Yes, indeed, this is the wonder of wonders, the miracle of miracles--at which my mind will forever stand amazed! That the thrice Holy Savior should take the sinner's place, and, coming under the sinner's doom, should be smitten of God--this is a mystery past finding out!

Hell is horribly amazing--but the death of Jesus is far more astounding, and especially that in death He should cry, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me!" Only the Son of God could endure this great grief. Yet is it a mystery of mysteries, that so divine a person should be capable of enduring it.

The marvel is thought to be, that a man should be able to suffer so much. But the real marvel is that, being God, He should suffer at all. The being forsaken by the Father, was the very essence of His grief!

My soul, adore and love--you cannot understand it!

Behold the eclipse of your soul's Sun, and know that, had not this been, you would have been in the darkness of Hell forever!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: July 27, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »

A sin-expelling power over our lives!

"Old leaves, if they remain upon the trees through the autumn and the winter--fall off in the spring."

We have seen a hedge all thick with dry leaves throughout the winter, and neither frost nor wind has removed the withered foliage--but the spring has soon cleared them off. The new life dislodges the old, pushing it away as unsuitable to it.

In the same way, our old corruptions are best removed by the growth of new graces.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

It is as the new life buds and opens, that the old worn-out things of our former state are compelled to give up their hold of us. Our wisdom lies in living near to God, that by the power of His Holy Spirit all our graces may be vigorous, and may exercise a sin-expelling power over our lives--the new leaves of grace pushing off our old worldly affections and habits of sin.

With new converts, it is often better not to lay down stringent rules as to worldly amusements--but leave the new life and its holier joys, to push off the old pleasures. Thus it will be done more naturally and more effectively.

We have all heard of the expulsive power of a new affection. This new affection of love to God coming into the soul, expels love to sin!

Lord, let Your life in me, push off the relics of my former sinful self--that I may put on the new man, and manifest Your transforming grace!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: July 27, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »

The devil's chessboard!

"So that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are familiar with his evil schemes!" 2 Corinthians 2:11

"Be watchful; the world is the devil's chessboard! You can hardly move backward or forward, but he is ready to attack you with some temptation!"

Those who play at the game of chess know that great caution is needed. Your opponent is working toward a design of which you know nothing; and while you imagine that you are doing exceedingly well, he is entrapping you!

The game of life, as against Satan, is one in which . . .
  his maneuvers and artifice,
  his long practice and stratagems,
  his superior skill and deceptiveness,
  and his unscrupulousness--
give him an immense advantage over our poor self-conceited folly!

Lord, help us! You know our adversary; be pleased to deliver us out of his hand.

"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes!" Ephesians 6:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

Here little--and hereafter much!

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want!" Philippians 4:10-12

We look for more in this life than it will ever yield to us. If we would be satisfied with less--we would be less dissatisfied. Probably there is as much happiness in one station of life as in another--if we are content in that situation which the Lord has placed us in.

The misery of life is when a man has a great deal less than he aspires to. Contentment is the crown-jewel of a happy life! We shall have enough, for God's promises guarantee us our necessary portion. Why need we fret after more?

"Here little--and hereafter much!" as Bunyan says, is best for us!

O Lord, grant me grace to live above the poor trifles of this fleeting world!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: July 29, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »

A poor beast that is going homeward, goes cheerfully!

A poor beast that is going homeward, goes cheerfully! See how the horse pricks up his ears and quickens his pace when you turn his head to his stable. Even the dull donkey does the same.

Much more then should Christians feel the attractions of their heavenly home!

Courage, brothers and sisters; we, too, are homeward bound! Every hour brings us nearer to the many mansions! Our way is toward the Father's house on high, therefore let us rejoice at every step we take!

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. In my Father's house are many mansions. I am going there to prepare a place for you!" John 14:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: July 30, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »

When you wallow in the mud of worldly pleasures!

"If you saw a man laboring in filthy ditches, and soiling himself as poor men do--would you believe that he was the heir to a crown, called to inherit a kingdom? Just so, who will believe in your heavenly calling--when you wallow in the mud of worldly pleasures, and are absorbed with carking care for trivial things?"

Princes should behave as princes! Their haunts should be in palaces--and not amid dung-heaps! How, then, is it that some who profess and call themselves Christians, are found rummaging in questionable amusements to discover pleasure; and many others are groping amid sordid avarice to find satisfaction in wealth?

What are they doing--to be thus disgracing the blood royal! How dare they drag the name of the "Blessed and only Potentate" through the mire!

A prince of royal-blood acting as a beggar, would dishonor not only himself but all the royal house. Nobility has obligations!

The eminent nobility of the saints, puts them under heavy bonds to act as the true aristocracy of the universe!

Come, my soul, do you behave royally? I am made a king by Jesus Christ--are my bearing and life-style answerable to the dignity laid upon me?

Lord, you must teach your poor child. I have so long been a vagabond and an outcast, that unless you teach me the majestic life-style of your holy courts--I will dishonor both myself and You!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God!" Colossians 3:1-3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: July 31, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »

'Tom Thumbs' in grace!

"Though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's Word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!" Hebrews 5:12

"An infant, if he should continue an infant always, would be a monster!"

However pleased the parents had been with the little one when it was a babe, they would soon be deeply distressed if year after year it still remained a tiny thing. Indeed, they would consider it a great calamity to be the parents of a dwarf.

What, then, shall we say of those professors who never grow? They are no more holy after fifty years! They are infants at sixty years of age!

I have in my house a picture which is made up of the portraits of my sons, taken on their birthdays for twenty-one years. They begin in the cradle, and end as full-grown young men. This is interesting and according to nature.

But, alas, I have spiritual children whom I wheeled about in the stroller twenty years ago--and they are babies still, needing as much care as ever, and are not able to walk alone. Ah me, that so many who ought to be warriors, are weaklings; that those who should be men of six feet tall, are so stunted as to be mere 'Tom Thumbs' in grace!

O for grace to grow in grace, and especially in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. God save us from a life which does not grow, and from a growth which is not healthy!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

The bishop and the knight tumble into the box with the pawns--and the king and the queen fare no better!

"As chessmen are all thrown into the bag together--so in the grave there is no distinction. Skulls wear no wreaths, and corpses carry no marks of honor."

The bishop and the knight tumble into the box with the pawns--and the king and the queen fare no better! Death is a terrible leveler! It is a pity that some men carry their heads so high above their fellows all the day--for they will have to sleep at night in the same bed of clay with those whom they despise!

"Poor weeds, rich grain, mirthful flowers together stand.
 Alas! death mows down all with an impartial hand!"

"All go to the same place. All come from dust, and to dust all return!" Ecclesiastes 3:20

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »

Square me! Prune me!

"There is more hewing, and hacking, and squaring used on a stone which is to be set in the wall of a stately palace--than that which is placed in a rock wall. Just so, the vine is carefully pruned--when the bramble is untouched."

This should reconcile believers to their chastisements. It is a well-worn figure; but it is well put.

Brambles certainly have a fine time of it, and grow after their own pleasure. We have seen their long shoots reaching far and wide, and no knife has threatened them as they luxuriated upon the wastelands.

The poor vine is cut down so closely, that little remains of it but bare stems. Yet, when clearing-time comes, and the brambles are heaped together for burning--who would not rather be the vine?

Ah, Lord! Let me never sigh for ease, but always seek for usefulness.
Square me until I am fit for a place in Your temple!
Prune me until I yield my utmost fruit!

"Every branch that does bear fruit, He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful!" John 15:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 03, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »

A hazardous game!

"If we play around the viper's hole--it no wonder that we are bitten!"

An old proverb advises us not to play with sharp-edged tools, lest we cut our fingers.

It is a sin to trifle with sin! If we must play, we had better find harmless toys! That evil which caused Christ a bloody death, is no fit theme for any man's sport.

Playing with wickedness is a hazardous game! Sooner or later, we will pluck the lion of sin by the beard, and we shall be torn in pieces!

This is true of indulgence in strong drink: "Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake, and poisons like a viper!"

This is equally true of all other forms of evil, especially of the lusts of the flesh. Lewd words, soon lead to foul deeds. Yet such is the folly of men, that they run dreadful risks in sheer wantonness, as though vipers and cobras were fine playmates, and devils were merry-makers!

"Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Do not let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin." Psalm 19:13

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 04, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

Will we be numbered with cat-worshipers and dog-adorers?

"Those who have no children, take pleasure in little dogs and cats."

People must have an object of affection, and if they have not something noble, they will accept something less. Just so, those who disdain to live for God, will live for their own bellies.

If we do not live in all seriousness for a noble object--the probability is that we shall trifle our lives away in doing nothing! Are we prepared for this? Will we be numbered with cat-worshipers and dog-adorers?

My God, save me from petty and paltry objects! Deliver me from worthless amusements and hobbies! May the objects of my life's pursuit be worthy of an immortal spirit, worthy of an heir of Heaven!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ--set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things!" Colossians 3:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:34 PM »

Even though he had a shipload of such rubbish!

The more abundance of truly valuable things a man has--the more he has of true riches.

A child counts himself rich when he has a great many marbles, and toys, and rocks--for these suit his childish age and imagination.

Just so, a worldly man counts himself rich when he has a great store of gold and silver, or lands and houses.

But a child of God counts himself rich when he has . . .
  God for his Portion,
  Christ his his Redeemer, and
  the Spirit for his Guide, Sanctifier, and Comforter.
This is as much above a carnal man's estate in the world, as a carnal man's estate is above a child's toys and trifles--yes, infinitely more!

It is above all things desirable, that we adopt a correct scale to estimate things. When we make our personal audit, we shall fall into grievous error if the principles of our reckoning are not thoroughly accurate. If we reckon buttons as silver, and brass as gold--we shall dream that we are rich, when we are in poverty!

In taking stock of our own condition, let us be sure only to reckon that for riches, which is really riches to us. Wealth to the worldling is not wealth to the Christian. His currency is different, his valuables are of another sort.

Am I today poorer in money than I was ten years ago. And at the same time, am I more humble, more patient, more earnest, more loving? Then set me down as a rich man!

Have my worldly goods largely increased during the last few years? And at the same time, am I also more proud, more carnal-minded, more lukewarm, more petulant? Then I must write myself down as a poorer man, whatever others may think of my estate.

A Christian's riches are within him! External belongings are by no means a sure gain to a man.

A horse is none the better off for all its gilded trappings. Just so, a man is in truth, none the richer for his sumptuous surroundings.

Paul was richer than King Croesus, when he was able to say, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want!" Philippians 4:11-12

Such contentment surpasses riches! Solomon, after summing up all his possessions and delights, was compelled to add, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!"

If a man should labor to be rich after the fashion of the poor African natives, and should accumulate a large store of shells and beads--yet when he came home to England he would be a beggar, even though he had a shipload of such rubbish!

Just so, he who gives his heart and soul to the accumulation of gold coins--is a beggar when he comes into the spiritual realm, where such coins are reckoned as mere forms of earth, non-current in Heaven, and of less value than the least of spiritual blessings!

O, my Lord, let me not merely talk thus, and pretend to despise earthly treasure--when all the while I am hunting after it! Grant me grace to live above these perishable things, never setting my heart upon them; nor caring whether I have them, or have them not. But give me grace to exercise all my energy in pleasing You, and in gaining those things which You hold in esteem. Give me, I beseech You, the riches of Your grace--that I may at last attain to the riches of Your glory!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: August 06, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »

Don't bite the stick!

"As children will thank the tailor, and think they owe their new clothes to him rather than to their parent's bounty--so we often look to the instrument of blessing, and thank that instead of God."

Second causes must never be made to stand before the First Cause. Friends and helpers are all very well as servants of our Father--but our Father must have all our praise.

There is a similar evil in the matter of trials and afflictions. We are apt to be angry with the instrument of our affliction--instead of seeing the hand of God over all, and meekly bowing before it.

It was a great help to David in bearing with the railing Shimei--when he saw that God had appointed this provocation as a chastisement. He would not allow his hasty captains to take the scoffer's head, but meekly said, "Let him alone, and let him curse, for the Lord has bidden him."

When a dog is struck--he will bite the stick! If he were wise, he would observe that the stick only moves as the hand directs it. Just so, when we discern God in our tribulations, we are helped to be quiet and endure with patience.

Let us not act like silly children, but trace matters to their fountain-head, and act accordingly. May the Spirit of wisdom make us understand.

"He is the LORD; let Him do what is good in His eyes." 1 Samuel 3:18

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away--may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21

"Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" Job 2:10

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other." Ecclesiastes 7:14

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 08, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »

Above all, wait at the cross-foot!

"Wisdom's dole is given at wisdom's gates!"

Those who wish for it--must go there for it.

Resort to the 'Beautiful Gate' of the temple--if you would obtain that healing which is given by the gospel.

Search the Scriptures--if you would find eternal life.

Hasten humbly to the gate of prayer--if you would obtain God's covenant blessings.

Above all, wait at the cross-foot--for the purchased blessings of Jesus' love.

The dole is free and large, but God has His place appointed for its distribution--be often there.

Lord, I would not be absent when Your alms are being distributed, for I am as poor as poverty itself! See, I am even now waiting at the portal of Your grace. Give me, I beseech you, my daily bread from Heaven, and send me on my way rejoicing.

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the