Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  US discussing strikes on Iran
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US discussing strikes on Iran  (Read 8713 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2004, 01:13:23 PM »

Yippers!  Lips Sealed

source: Jerusalem Post

LONDON – Pentagon officials are said to be discussing possible military action to neutralize Iran's nuclear weapons threat, according to a report in London's Observer. US administration sources are quoted as saying that air strikes – "either by the US or Israel" – to wipe out Iran's fledgling nuclear program would be difficult because of a lack of clear intelligence about where key components are located.

Instead, sources quoted by the paper said the Pentagon is considering strikes in support of regime change, including attacks on the leadership, as well as on political and security targets
The new "modeling" at the Pentagon, with its shift in emphasis from suspected nuclear sites to political target lists, is said to be causing deep anxiety among officials in Britain, France, and Germany, who last week appeared to have negotiated a deal with Teheran to cease work that could contribute to a nuclear weapons program. But Washington is said to be skeptical about the deal.

Not sure if believe this report or not, but it would not surprise one bit.

Also see this discussion about Iran and probably future wars.  http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=4838

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:46:21 PM »

Related news...

Iran Honors Nuclear Agreement With Europe

See Entire article at source link.

source yahoo article

12:44 CST 11-22-2004 35 minutes ago   World - AP

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran announced Monday it has suspended uranium enrichment, and the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said he believed all Iran's enrichment activities have stopped, the central part of an agreement with Europe designed to head off possible U.N. sanctions.

The suspension fulfills a pledge Iran made earlier this month and came days ahead of a key meeting of the agency's board to judge Tehran's compliance with the agency's investigation into nearly two decades of hidden nuclear activities.

If the International Atomic Energy Agency rules that Iran is honoring its commitment to suspend enrichment, it will be a setback to U.S. hopes of referring Iran to the U.N. Security Council, a step that could lead to sanctions.

Iranian state-run radio made a brief announcement of the suspension Monday, saying it aimed "to build confidence." The suspension included the building of centrifuges used in enrichment and the reprocessing of uranium into the gas spun in the machines.

In Vienna, IAEA head Mohamed ElBaradei said the suspension appeared to be confirmed. "I think pretty much everything has come to a halt," he told reporters.

He said he expected to have a definitive ruling by Thursday on whether Iran has honored the pledge made earlier this month to freeze all activities related to enrichment, a process that can be used in energy programs or to make nuclear weapons.

The United States, which has led the campaign for a harder line on Iraq (news - web sites), accusing it of seeking nuclear weapons, will reserve judgement on the authenticity of the suspension until the IAEA board meeting on Thursday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

"Iran's nuclear program remains a real concern to the international community," McClellan said.

The European Union (news - web sites) underlined that Iran must offer proof of the halt before European counrties will fulfill their side of the deal — closer economic and political ties.

Dutch Foreign Minister Ben Bot said "a precondition for further discussion with Iran for a Political Cooperation Agreement is verification" that Tehran has stopped enriching uranium.

EU foreign ministers meeting in Brussels released a statement saying Iran would have to sustain the suspension if Europe is go ahead and craft a trade agreement.

Iran has been under intense pressure to freeze the activities as a way of reducing international suspicions over its nuclear program.

The United States accuses Iran of secretly pursuing nuclear weapons. Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) said last week that Washington has intelligence indicating Iran is trying to fit missiles to carry nuclear weapons.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 02:08:52 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 01:51:50 PM »

This I do not doubt either. Whenever a problem arises with such a country as Iran the prospects of a strike on the country will be discussed by our government. It is not necessarily the first thing on their agenda but it would be a part of the discussion just as it has been with the situation in N. Korea and just as it was with Iraq for more many, many years before we actually did so.

Something to keep an eye on for sure though.

Thanks for the info, 2T. Keep up the excellant work.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 02:21:07 PM »

Thanks Pastor!   Smiley   Sometimes I feel like we as Christians are not alert to what is happening around us in the world during this time.   I personally am finding it harder and harder to break away from world news feeds as they seem to almost be scripted right out of the Bible.

Anyways, glad someone is watching with me.   Wink

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 03:17:32 PM »

Pentagon officials are said to be discussing possible military action to neutralize Iran's nuclear weapons threat,

I'm certainly glad they're keeping it all a secret, like the Israelii strike in 1981 on Iraq's nuclear reactor.  

Roll Eyes

(2T - endtime.com keeps a pretty interesting eye on all of this.  plus online radio you can listen to).

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:39:11 PM »

I'm certainly glad they're keeping it all a secret, like the Israelii strike in 1981 on Iraq's nuclear reactor.  

I was thinking the same thing, but we did after all give Iraq fair warning before the second gulf war of what was to take place if they didn't change.  Also, I am not seeing too much mentioned about this elsewhere.  So at this point who knows if its true or not.   According to scripture, there are many verses showing Israel warring with Syria, Lebanon, and Jordon.   I believe these will happen before Gog/Magog.    A strike on Iran would surely involve retalitory strikes on Israel from those three mentioned above.   Like Pastor says, will be keeping a sharp eye on this.

2T - endtime.com keeps a pretty interesting eye on all of this.

Symphony, I have listened to this program on radio and visited their webiste.   They have a different twist on whats taking place.  They believe we are already in Revelation and about to witness the 6th trumpet.   Huh    I'm not quite sure I can see this from what I  understand of prophecy and current events.   They do make an interesting case for it, but there is just too much that doesn't fit IMO.  

Either way, what an exciting time we live in today.

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 05:32:08 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 04:31:57 PM »

Thanks Pastor!   Smiley   Sometimes I feel like we as Christians are not alert to what is happening around us in the world during this time.   I personally am finding it harder and harder to break away from world news feeds as they seem to almost be scripted right out of the Bible.

Anyways, glad someone is watching with me.   Wink

Grace and Peace!
I know what you mean 2T. When I posted some articals, they ended up getting spammed, so I deleleted the threads. So I though I would let someone else come up, with some of the news happening, in the world. I see you are up to bat, Huh  going for a touchdown. Huh Wink Grin

Well done
Bob

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »

Iran Says Will Meet EU Nuke Deadline on Monday

Sun Nov 21, 6:49 PM ET

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said it would meet the European Union's Monday deadline for suspending uranium enrichment and allay fears it was trying to make a nuclear bomb -- the freeze could spare it from U.N. sanctions.

Tehran promised the EU last week it would freeze enrichment by Nov. 22, in time for Thursday's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) board meeting which is due decide whether to report Iran to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions.

"We will start suspension of uranium enrichment activities from tomorrow on, as we promised," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told a weekly news conference on Sunday.

The United States has led calls for Iran to face sanctions, accusing the oil-rich Islamic Republic of trying to develop atomic weapons behind the veil of a civilian nuclear program.

Iranian exiled opposition groups said Tehran had increased enrichment before the IAEA meeting, an accusation echoed by President Bush.

"We're concerned about reports that show that prior to a certain international meeting, they're willing to speed up processing of materials that could lead to a nuclear weapon," Bush told reporters in Chile on Saturday.

Iran strongly denies the charges and says all it wants to do is generate electricity.

The European Union has tread a middle path, promising Iran better trade and tiesif it stops uranium enrichment, but threatening to back Washington if Tehran does not.

At a meeting with Bush during an APEC  summit in Chile on Sunday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said there had been "a marked improvement with regard to Iran." Russia is building a nuclear power station in Iran and has resisted U.S. pressure to stop its help.

"Russia and the USA remain major nuclear powers in the world," Russia's Itar Tass news agency quoted him as saying. "We have common interests in the sphere of non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction."

Iran also rejected Secretary of State Colin Powell accusation that it was working on ways to deliver an atomic warhead on a missile.

"I believe Powell has understood his remarks were false," said Iranian nuclear chief Hassan Rohani. "Such claims are totally baseless."

But Powell said he stood by the charge. "I stick with it," he told reporters traveling with him to the Middle East.

Tehran has been developing a medium-range ballistic missile experts say would be able to hit arch-foe Israel.

http://www.worthynews.com/zone.cgi?http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20041121/ts_nm/nuclear_iran_dc&printer=1

The more coming of Prophecy, to sooner we go. We still have to wait till Russia attacks Israel.
Bob

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 05:00:13 PM »

This Iran crisis has Isa 17:1 written all over it IMO.   A possible chain reaction from a strike on Iran could result in the following, though I am speculating a bit.

These countries are mentioned being at war with Israel.

Syria - Isaiah 17:1, Zechariah 9:1 Zechariah 11:2-3, Jeremiah 49:23-25
Lebanon - Zechariah 11:1 Zechariah 9:2-4
Palestine - Isaiah 17:3 Zechariah 9:5 Zephaniah 2:5 Ezekiel 25:15-17 Isaiah 14:31-32
Jordan - Isaiah 17:2 (Aroer) Zephaniah 2:8-9 (Ammon)

We know these wars will happen, but how they start is not clear.  Of particular interest, is that Isa 17:1 has unequivocally not yet taken place.   And almost assuredly will be the result of a nuclear strike.   As I said in the other thread, Iran decalres it will rain missles on Israel should anyone try to take out its nuclear facility.   You rest assured that Irans good buddies, Syria, and Hezbollah will join in.  If Syria used just one bio warhead, Israel would be forced to use nukes.  They could not rish a second such missle killing hundreds if not thousands of Israelis.

Call me crazy, but I think the current situation in Iran is going to lead to these wars.   SOON!

My reason for saying these will happen first is, Strangely, Syria is NOT mentioned as part of the Magog war.   Why would they not be?  Maybe, because their city is in a ruinous heap?    Wink   I think so!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »

This Iran crisis has Isa 17:1 written all over it IMO.   A possible chain reaction from a strike on Iran could result in the following, though I am speculating a bit.

These countries are mentioned being at war with Israel.

Syria - Isaiah 17:1, Zechariah 9:1 Zechariah 11:2-3, Jeremiah 49:23-25
Lebanon - Zechariah 11:1 Zechariah 9:2-4
Palestine - Isaiah 17:3 Zechariah 9:5 Zephaniah 2:5 Ezekiel 25:15-17 Isaiah 14:31-32
Jordan - Isaiah 17:2 (Aroer) Zephaniah 2:8-9 (Ammon)

We know these wars will happen, but how they start is not clear.  Of particular interest, is that Isa 17:1 has unequivocally not yet taken place.   And almost assuredly will be the result of a nuclear strike.   As I said in the other thread, Iran decalres it will rain missles on Israel should anyone try to take out its nuclear facility.   You rest assured that Irans good buddies, Syria, and Hezbollah will join in.  If Syria used just one bio warhead, Israel would be forced to use nukes.  They could not rish a second such missle killing hundreds if not thousands of Israelis.

Call me crazy, but I think the current situation in Iran is going to lead to these wars.   SOON!

My reason for saying these will happen first is, Strangely, Syria is NOT mentioned as part of the Magog war.   Why would they not be?  Maybe, because their city is in a ruinous heap?    Wink   I think so!

Grace and Peace!
I myself don't think you are far off base. Your speculation, is very close to what I think. You already know that though.
Go i peace with God.
Bob
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:24:03 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:02:43 AM »

More news on Irans Nukes.  Riveting read!

As Palestinian picture improves,
ominous signs about Iranian nukes

WASHINGTON — For Israel, it’s the classic “I’ve got good news, but you might want to hear the bad news first” scenario.
Just when a confluence of unrelated events revived the prospect of peace talks with the Palestinians, Iran’s potential nuclear threat to the Jewish state suddenly seems greater than ever.

In fact, the Iran dilemma is almost the mirror image of new hope with the Palestinians: The prospect of a nuclear-armed, radical Islamic regime suddenly has moved from the “within years” to the “within months” column, differences between the United States and Europe are dogging resolution — and the United States wants Israel to just sit still.

Reports of Iran’s accelerated development of nuclear material, as well as missiles to deliver it, have profoundly unsettled Israelis.

“We believe we know what the real intentions of the Iranians are,” Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said last week in Cleveland at the General Assembly of the United Jewish Communities, the umbrella group of North American Jewish federations. “The real intention of the Iranians is to develop a nuclear bomb.”

The level of agreement over keeping at bay a nation that routinely calls for Israel’s elimination and glorifies suicide bombers reached across Israel’s otherwise fractious political culture.

“Israel cannot, cannot live under the shadow of nuclear Iran and the bomb,” Ephraim Sneh, a leader of the opposition Labor party, said on CNN.

“Israel is very vulnerable,” said Sneh, who was in Washington last week. “All our economic and intellectual assets are concentrated in a piece of 20 and 60 miles. That’s all. Two bombs can turn Israel into a scorched Third World country. We cannot live with it.”

Yossi Beilin, leader of the dovish Yahad party, said the issue hangs over the nation at a time when Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat’s death, forthcoming Palestinian elections and the Bush administration’s post-election energy present renewed opportunities for peace in the region.

“Iran is a very, very important issue,” Beilin told JTA. “For us it is hovering, it is a problem.”

Israel and the United States were hoping the International Atomic Energy Agency would announce tougher measures at its board meeting Thursday, including more rigorous international monitoring and a trigger mechanism that automatically would refer any violation of Iran’s nonproliferation agreement to the U.N. Security Council for sanctions.

Mindful of this week’s IAEA meeting, the Iranians signed an agreement last week with France, Germany and Britain to temporarily suspend their uranium enrichment efforts.

Iran announced on Monday that the suspension, in effect until Iran works out a long-term agreement with the international community, is now underway.

Instead of assuaging concerns, however, the agreement underscored skepticism about Iran’s intentions. Within days of signing the agreement, a reliable opposition group said Iran was using advanced technology to enrich uranium at military sites and keeping the activity secret, presumably to exempt it from the suspension.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran also said that the country had purchased enriched uranium in 2001 and designs for nuclear warheads in the mid-1990s.

Iran dismissed the claims out of hand, but on Friday European diplomats — some apparently from the same nations that had negotiated the suspension agreement — were telling reporters that Iran was accelerating enrichment ahead of the suspension.

The diplomats were furious with the obvious effort to get Iran as close as possible to weaponization before the freeze kicks in.

President Bush said he found the allegations credible. Attending a meeting of Pacific Rim leaders in Chile, Bush said he considered the reports a “very serious matter.”

Another area of concern for the Americans is the development of missiles needed to deliver the warheads.

“I have seen some information that would suggest they had been actively working on delivery systems,” U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said last week.

Iran dismisses the reports as unfounded and compares them to the erroneous intelligence on weapons development that helped draw the United States into war with Iraq.

“The burden of proof is on the shoulder of the person who makes the claims,” Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi said Monday in an interview on CNN.

The problem with that explanation is that Iran often is the source of the claims. In August, Iran released photos of a new version of its Shihab missile that had a baby-bottle design, as opposed to the usual cone shape.

The design apparently was drawn from Soviet era ICBM nuclear missiles, said Patrick Clawson, an Iran expert at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, since a nuclear device fits better in a baby-bottle shape.

Why would the Iranians allow the release of those pictures?

“They want people to know,” Clawson said.

With Iraqi despot Saddam Hussein out of the way, flexing muscles sends a message that Iran is now a dominant power in the Middle East. That would allow Iran to continue its disruptive involvement in Lebanon, where Israel says Iran has armed Hezbollah terrorists with 13,000 missiles. Hezbollah and Iran also have emerged among the main financiers of Palestinian terrorist attacks in the West Bank.

The revelations late last week only increased skepticism among some on the 35-member IAEA board, and the United States has expressed its determination to impose stiffer standards, especially since Iran reneged on previous deals.

Europeans also are unnerved that the newer Shihab missiles apparently could put major European cities within range.

On the other hand, China and Russia — which as declared nuclear nations have considerable influence at the IAEA — are averse to sanctions. Russia has a financial stake in Iran’s main nuclear reactor at Bushehr.

Furthermore, Mohammed ElBaradei, the IAEA’s director-general, on Monday called Iran’s enrichment suspension a “step in the right direction,” despite skepticism by Israel and others that any real suspension was underway.

Should Iran clear the IAEA hurdle, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) and Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.) plan to reintroduce their bipartisan “Iran Freedom Support Act” when Congress reconvenes in January. It would allow the president to sanction countries that do business with the Islamic regime and strengthen support for opposition groups.

That likely would have the strong support of the pro-Israel community in Washington, which believes the suspension agreement with Europe is inadequate.

“Iran is intensely working to marry its nuclear and missile programs so that it can deliver a nuclear weapon at the earliest possible date,” said Andrew Schwartz, a spokesman for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. “Nothing in the agreement stops Iran from completing nuclear warhead designs or improving its missiles to enable them to deliver nuclear weapons.”

After this meeting, Bush likely would raise the threat of sanctions when the IAEA board meets again, in about four months.

Israel, meanwhile, is sitting on its hands, not wanting to upend delicate U.S. efforts to build international support. U.S. officials have made clear they do not want Israel to repeat its successful 1981 strike on the Iraqi nuclear reactor at Osirak.

“I don’t see how it would do anything but provoke . . . a conflict between Israel and Iran, and we want to avoid that at all costs, and I think the Israelis recognize that,” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press. “It’s one thing to attack a reactor in Iraq 20-some years ago. It’s something entirely different to take on that challenge now.”

Israelis say they are happy to comply, for now. On the record, they say the window for Iran’s nuclearization is two years; off the record, they say the world is looking at 12 months.

“The complacency of the international community drives Israel, pushes Israel to the corner,” Sneh, a retired general, told CNN. “We don’t prepare a pre-emptive strike, but, gradually, along the axis of time, we are pushed to the corner.”

source: JtaNews

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 05:28:50 PM »

More Iran News 11-23-2004

source: yahoo news

By Louis Charbonneau

VIENNA (Reuters) - The United States and Iran were headed for a diplomatic showdown at the U.N. nuclear watchdog, with Washington demanding Tehran be threatened with tough action if it resumes atomic work it could use for bombs, diplomats say.

France, Britain and Germany, who spearheaded an EU offer of incentives if Iran suspended its uranium enrichment program, circulated a draft resolution that diplomats at the United Nations (news - web sites) said was unacceptable to both Washington and Tehran.

Washington sees it as too weak and wants to include an "automatic trigger" which makes it clear that resuming any activities related to enrichment -- a process of purifying uranium to fuel power plants or make weapons -- would spark a referral to the U.N. Security Council and possibly sanctions.

"It is still just in the eyes of the Iranians, a suspension," Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) told CNN television. "A suspension means they can turn it back on at any time. We want it turned off permanently."

But Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi told reporters the suspension would remain in place only long enough to provide assurances that Tehran was not diverting to a bomb program and would be reviewed after three months.

"Suspension is a voluntary action. As long as it is leading to ... ensuring the other side that Iran is not going to divert to nuclear weapons, it will be continued," he told reporters.

Diplomats said including an "automatic trigger" clause in a resolution submitted to Thursday's meeting of the U.N. agency would be unacceptable to Tehran and would ruin the Iran-EU deal.

"The Europeans will not allow this," said a Western diplomat close to the backroom talks on the text. "There is an agreement (the EU has) with Iran that must be kept."

See entire article at source link yahoo news

Is it just me, or does this language sound very similar to that used just before the Iraqi war?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:41:49 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 05:49:38 PM »

The following map gives an overview of the region and Irans nuclear facilities.

Click on the map for close up.

Cool Satellite image of Natanz by Space Imaging

http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/resources/images/iran/natanz.JPG

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 02:27:38 PM »

WARS AND RUMORS OF WARS
Iran's nukes 'not
the only target'

Ex-Mossad intel chief says U.S.,
 Israel could strike other areas

Posted: November 25, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Aaron Klein
© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

If the U.S. or Israel attacks Iran, operations would not be limited to the targeting of Tehran's suspected nuclear sites, but could also include attacks against several key military and industrial installations, the former head of Mossad's foreign intelligence told WorldNetDaily in an exclusive interview.

"From a hypothetical point of view, one shouldn't assume any attack would only target nuclear facilities. Other targets of significance to the Iranians could be attacked, including military bases, oil facilities and certain industrial facilities," said Uzi Arad, former director of Mossad's Intelligence Division and Chairman of Israel's prestigious Herzliya Conference.

"The Iranians shouldn't make the assumption that just because they hide a few nuclear sites they are safe. There are enough targets to exact a very heavy price on Tehran, so much so that it should render their entire nuclear exercise a losing proposition," said Arad.

entire story here:  http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41640

Lets not forget to keep our Leaders and Israel in our prayer as this situation develops.  

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 09:44:14 PM »

Nov. 28, 2004 22:12
Iran toughens nuclear stand
By ASSOCIATED PRESS

TEHRAN, Iran

Iran toughened its position Sunday in an international standoff over its nuclear program, insisting on using 20 centrifuges for research purposes even if doing so jeopardizes a deal freezing all of Iran's uranium enrichment activities.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said Tehran was not worried about the threat of UN sanctions - a possible outcome if the deal falls through - telling reporters "referral to the UN Security Council would not be the end of the world."

"The issue of research and development is separate from discussions about suspension," Asefi said at a press conference. "We always had research and development in the past and we will continue that in the future. We will use the 20 centrifuges for research."

Iran insists using the 20 centrifuges purely for research is not banned by a Nov. 7 agreement worked out with Germany, France and Britain on behalf of the European Union to suspend all uranium enrichment and related activities. The European Union disagrees.

The dispute over Iran's interpretation of its deal with the European Union to freeze all activities linked to uranium enrichment stalled an International Atomic Energy Agency board meeting, which was adjourned Friday until Monday.

That was meant to give time for the Iranian government to approve a total freeze of the program - which can produce both low-grade nuclear fuel and weapons-grade material for the core of nuclear warheads - and for delegates to decide on further steps in policing Tehran's nuclear activities.

Asefi said Iran won't give up on that, even if time was running out for a final agreement.

"We are negotiating with Europeans to specify the way we are going to use the 20 centrifuges. ...What is important is the legitimate right of our country and we won't give (that) up," he said.

EU delegates to the Vienna meeting said discussions continued Saturday by phone between British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and Hassan Rowhani, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council and his country's point man on nuclear matters. But they said the Europeans would not budge on insisting on a full freeze that included the centrifuges.

As the board awaited a formal Iranian response, France, Germany and Britain toned down language in a proposed resolution in an attempt to entice Tehran to sign on to full suspension. The confidential draft, made available to The Associated Press in Vienna, weakened language on how any freeze would be monitored by the agency and was said by Western diplomats to be unsatisfactory to the United States.

It authorizes IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei to "pursue his investigations" into remaining suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear activities over the past two decades.

But instead of mandating him to "report without delay" to the board if there are violations, it says only that he should "inform" board members of any irregularities. Still, refusal by Tehran to drop demands to exempt equipment from the enrichment suspension could prompt a much harsher resolution that could include the threat of UN Security Council action.

"We are not worried about referral to the UN Security Council," Asefi said. "But we prefer that negotiations be continued within the framework of the IAEA because otherwise the capabilities of the agency and Europe will be in doubt."

Western delegates to the meeting said the United States - which insists Tehran wants to make weapons and should be hauled before the Security Council - was unhappy with the draft.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1101615860813

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the